Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would Hanrahan want to move? He's just back at Munster, moving to Ulster for a few months will be little use to him or to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    Staying fit seems to have been a major issue for him in the last.

As we know form is only half the battle. He starting from a distance behind McGrath and Marmion. In all likelihood he would need 2 of those guys plus Murray to be injured to get a chance on the bench.

Who starts ahead of him if McGrath, Marmion and Murray are injured?

Nobody. Just the poor format of my sentence!

What I meant was it would take two of Murray, Marmion and McGrath to be injured for him to make the 23.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Indo article says ulster after Carbery and JJH on loan

Neither will happen. It's unclear when Bleyendaal will return so Munster need to retain JJH. Carbery is playing regularly at Leinster, he doesn't need to move.

True...but if you don't ask you don't get.

It looks increasingly like we're snookered post Lealifilano.

We might as well throw a kid in.

awec wrote: »
    Ulster says no.

Whatever about JJH, is the fact that Joe Schmidt is clearly all about Joey Carbery not reason enough to have an interest in signing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Why would Hanrahan want to move? He's just back at Munster, moving to Ulster for a few months will be little use to him or to Ulster.

He has more time in the B&I Cup this season than in the ECC and his only appearance in the ECC was a few minutes last week when Munster had the BP secured against Leicester. His career is in trouble right now and a move for a few months where he might actually get some starts would have to be considered by him. He needs to get some rugby under his belt.

• Advertisement

Whatever about JJH, is the fact that Joe Schmidt is clearly all about Joey Carbery not reason enough to have an interest in signing him?

Sure. On a 3 year deal.

Otherwise no thanks.

Sure. On a 3 year deal.

Otherwise no thanks.

The only thing as stupid as Carbery being happy to move on loan and Leinster being happy to let him would be Ulster turning it down.

Sure. On a 3 year deal.

Otherwise no thanks.

Ah come on, could you not just develop him for Leinster for a season and then give him back...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sure. On a 3 year deal.

Otherwise no thanks.

Saw mention of Marsh on a 3 year deal as your backup 10 and Gopperth as your starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Saw mention of Marsh on a 3 year deal as your backup 10 and Gopperth as your starter.

Gopperth would be a decent shout.

Marsh on the other hand, I just don't get.

Decent player, happily 4th choice at Leinster and likely wont get higher.

Mid Pro12 standard at best.

I don't see how Marsh is better than your current options.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    The only thing as stupid as Carbery being happy to move on loan and Leinster being happy to let him would be Ulster turning it down.

Disagree.

Would rather Ulster weren't used as a short term springboard for young players where Leinster will ultimately reap the benefit.

Would rather go out and sign a short term NIQ cover than Joey Carbery on a short term deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Disagree.

Would rather Ulster weren't used as a short term springboard for young players where Leinster will ultimately reap the benefit.

Would rather go out and sign a short term NIQ cover than Joey Carbery on a short term deal.

Your priorities are out of whack. Leinster have developed plenty players where Ulster are ultimately reaping the benefit.

Disagree.

Ulster wouldn't be used as a springboard as they'd do nothing for his development relative to what he'd get at Leinster i.e. regular game time in a team that is contesting for trophies and training alongside Sexton every day.

It would harm Carbery's development to go to Ulster at this point for 5 months. But Ulster would still be getting a good player who would benefit them. They'd be mad to turn their noses up at it.

I would rather Ulster identify short term cover elsewhere also.

Sure. On a 3 year deal.

Otherwise no thanks.

Marsh? He's no better than Nelson.

Gopperth for a year or two wouldn't be the worst shout if we are stuck. He did pretty well at Leinster. Although he must be kicking on a bit.

Your priorities are out of whack. Leinster have developed plenty players where Ulster are ultimately reaping the benefit.

Good for them.

People have whinged often enough about Ulster signing stop-gap NIQs and not looking at the long term.

But suddenly, when it comes to a short term stop gap that involves a young Leinster player that's all brilliant and makes a tonne of sense.

Get in the fcuking sea.

But suddenly, when it comes to a short term stop gap that involves a young Leinster player that's all brilliant and makes a tonne of sense.

Get in the fcuking sea.

Your logic doesn't add up. It would not be beneficial to Leinster whatsoever for this situation to become reality. Or Carbery. In fact the only person who would be happy would be Ross Byrne (and Ulster).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good for them.

People have whinged often enough about Ulster signing stop-gap NIQs and not looking at the long term.

Get in the fcuking sea.

Obviously two different scenarios? Developing Irish players versus developing non-Irish players.

Buer wrote: »

Disagree.

But we need to get through the rest of the season. It gives us time to identify a long term replacement and it gives our young Academy 10s, like Lowry, a bit more time to develop...and who knows, maybe we will have Jackson back in September.

I don't think it would be a tonne of sense, I'd be completely against it. This originally came up with someone saying Ulster should go after him and you saying "Ulster says no" or something along those lines and then people arguing with you that it would make no sense for Ulster to say no.

I don't think at any stage did anyone say they actually wanted him to go, I think it's primarily been arguing why Ulster should want that but the rest of us don't.

It's actually all very convoluted but there you go!

Obviously two different scenarios? Developing Irish players versus developing non-Irish players.

Yea indeed, that old chesnut.

I would prefer that Ulster did not develop players for league rivals during a time when we are struggling to compete. I would much rather sign an NIQ for a few months.

From an Ulster point of view it's an absolute no brainer.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    But we need to get through the rest of the season. It gives us time to identify a long term replacement and it gives our young Academy 10s, like Lowry, a bit more time to develop...and who knows, maybe we will have Jackson back in September.

So sign someone on a short term deal.

But not from Leinster, Munster or Connacht. Or any other Pro14 team.

Yea indeed, that old chesnut.

I would prefer that Ulster did not develop players for league rivals during a time when we are struggling to compete. I would much rather sign an NIQ for a few months.

From an Ulster point of view it's an absolute no brainer.

rory-best-celebrates-winning-with-his-children-ben-and-penny-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

In the article Kiss states that Ulster need a player who will not be involved in the 6Ns so that would rule out Carbery anyway even if Joey was daft enough to think it was a good idea. JJH simply isn't good enough.

Nelson is mince at 10, Herron needs more games, Lowry is talented but young and injured atm. Cormac Fox is a good player but not in the academy I think. McPhillips needs games.

jacothelad wrote: »
    In the article Kiss states that Ulster need a player who will not be involved in the 6Ns so that would rule out Carbery anyway even if Joey was daft enough to think it was a good idea. JJH simply isn't good enough.

Nelson is mince at 10, Herron needs more games, Lowry is talented but young and injured atm. Cormac Fox is a good player but not in the academy I think. McPhillips needs games.

Herron is mince jaco. Can't even get games at 10 for the A team.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good for them.

Get in the fcuking sea.

yhKdUVE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

The biggest issue is we have not even mentioned a 10 from a AIL side (Bar Fox & Acc boys). Shows the quality out there in the position.  There has to be someone that could do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Craig Ronaldson?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Winters wrote: »
    Craig Ronaldson?
    Perfect, If he is not contracted why not?

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Perfect, If he is not contracted why not?
    He's contracted to Connacht.

I thought he played fairly regularly for Connacht at 12 too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He's contracted to Connacht.

I thought he played fairly regularly for Connacht at 12 too?

Was a Pat Lam favourite, and very well rated by fans. Doesn't seem to be on KK's nice list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement