Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Was a Pat Lam favourite, and very well rated by fans. Doesn't seem to be on KK's nice list.

Is there anyone on that list??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    if its a knee injury no doubt Ulster have already been on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Your priorities are out of whack. Leinster have developed plenty players where Ulster are ultimately reaping the benefit.
    There's a little known fact that apparently only awec seems to be privy to and that's if Ulster take another Mexican on board, they're legally obliged to wear the Leinster away jersey at all home matches. Without the three stars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

1-15 what are we missing I know next year we can do a 1-9 but no hooker. Any of the backs from the grubby blue province?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We are pretty good at producing our own backs.

That said with Piutau gone and uncertainty over Trimble, Bowe and Payne we may be short a few backs next year.

Hopefully Lyttle stays fit and gets a run. Not sure about the Academy for backs, unusually there seem to be more rated forwards than outside backs. Mark Keane, James Hume, Rory Butler and Angus Kernohan seem to be the ones to watch. But not sure how good they are. Hume was outstanding as a schoolboy but has been injured all year.

Anyone else? Or will we soon need a few Leinster rejects to fill the void in the backs as well?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    Anyone else? Or will we soon need a few Leinster rejects to fill the void in the backs as well?!!!

McFadden's contract is up for renewal.

There's also a schoolboy playing for the A team this year in the centre. I keep forgetting his name. But he must be decent if he is playing for the As while still at school.

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Piutau and Ludik's NIQ spots are free next season. We are bound to sign one, if not two backs. A full back is required and the other signing probably hinges on what happens to PJ.

Buer wrote: »

McFadden's contract is up for renewal.

Sure why not...just for awec's reaction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sure why not...just for awec's reaction...

Can we start crowd funding now to give Ferg an add-on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/944173926594367489

200th cap for Cave. Except he's not allowed to play on the same pitch. And he has to wear a very slightly different shade of white on his jersey. And also he has to travel to and from the game in a Nissan Micra which is being towed behind the team bus. And any time anyone says "Ulster" he has to say "never heard of them".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Can we start crowd funding now to give Ferg an add-on .....
    Ferg has two words for you, and the second one is 'off'. :(

inpho_01257305.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

Is Dalton a tighthead 2nd row? Dreading scrums with diack at lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

awec wrote:
    Piutau and Ludik's NIQ spots are free next season. We are bound to sign one, if not two backs. A full back is required and the other signing probably hinges on what happens to PJ.

Whatever happens with PJ. We need at the very least a backup 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

awec wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

200th cap for Cave.  Except he's not allowed to play on the same pitch.  And he has to wear a very slightly different shade of white on his jersey.  And also he has to travel to and from the game in a Nissan Micra which is being towed behind the team bus.  And any time anyone says "Ulster" he has to say "never heard of them".
    Our Glorious Leader has saw fit to play him at 12.

Have Ulster ever fast tracked a young forward to the extent Matt Dalton has been?

This time last year he would have been preparing for the Schools Cup. We've seen it with the odd back but I can't think of a forward to come into the senior team so quickly.

Utah_Saint wrote: »

200th cap for Cave.  Except he's not allowed to play on the same pitch.  And he has to wear a very slightly different shade of white on his jersey.  And also he has to travel to and from the game in a Nissan Micra which is being towed behind the team bus.  And any time anyone says "Ulster" he has to say "never heard of them".

The selection maniac strikes again.

Not playing Lealifilano I understand, but why no McCloskey, O'Connor or Treadwell? At least we get to see Dalton who on limited viewing looks a prospect to me...

It will be interesting to McPhillips get a chance. Also great to see McBurney on the pine. Hopefully he gets a decent run.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

McFadden can kick goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Utah_Saint wrote: »

The selection maniac strikes again.

Not playing Lealifilano I understand, but why no McCloskey, O'Connor or Treadwell? At least we get to see Dalton who on limited viewing looks a prospect to me...

It will be interesting to McPhillips get a chance. Also great to see McBurney on the pine. Hopefully he gets a decent run.
    Yep, Dalton looking good so far.  Very keen to see more of McBurney.  I heard rumours 18months ago he was looking to maybe move across the water due to the backlog of hookers we had.  Glad he stuck around

One of the charges against Olding was dropped today. The other still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

There's also a schoolboy playing for the A team this year in the centre. I keep forgetting his name. But he must be decent if he is playing for the As while still at school.

Must be Stewart Moore you're thinking of. Was on the bench in the last A game but didn't play. Played at fullback for Ireland u18s as well. I don't really rate Angus Kernohan from what I've seen, but he's getting game time for Irish underage sides I think. Mark Keane played for Ulster against the barbarians and played for Ireland u19's, but I haven't heard anything about him recently. I would've said Hume would be the most likely to make it, but haven't seen him play because of injury, so it's difficult to tell now.

If John Cooney is asked to play another second at 10 for Ulster this season you have ****ed up miserably....

Play Marshall at 10 if you are desperate to destroy people's momentum. Leave Cooney at 9 where he is killing it.

Also, lol at the idea of demanding a 3yr deal if carberry or jjh was to wander up to help you out. This is a worse spot than beggars can't be choosers. You have done nothing whatsoever to try and get some exposure and opportunitity to an internal option. At this stage, any irish lad who played senior Cup rugby at 10 for more than two games could see themselves as a serious option to lead Ulster's backline.

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think I would genuinely prefer to play Herron at 10 than entertain the idea of Carbery or JJ on short term deals.

I’ll say it again, it’s amazing how opinions change when Leinster or Munster are the ultimate benefactors.

Ulster sign a short term NIQ? Awful idea. No long term planning. Not doing enough. Makes no sense. Should be playing the academy guys. Should be picking wee Jimmy from Methody medallion team.

Sign carbery or JJ on short term? Great idea. You should be glad. Just what Ulster need. Better than academy players. Wee jimmy need no longer apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't think anyone here is opposed to Ulster signing a 10 from anywhere? CL's signing was supported unless my memory is lying to me.

But you don't want a Leinster or Munster 10 because the idea that it might marginally help another province in the long-run is a bitter pill to swallow, and so the baby goes out with the bath water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    I think I would genuinely prefer to play Herron at 10 than entertain the idea of Carbery or JJ on short term deals.

I’ll say it again, it’s amazing how opinions change when Leinster or Munster are the ultimate benefactors.

Ulster sign a short term NIQ? Awful idea. No long term planning. Not doing enough. Makes no sense. Should be playing the academy guys. Should be picking wee Jimmy from Methody medallion team.

Sign carbery or JJ on short term? Great idea. You should be glad. Just what Ulster need. Better than academy players. Wee jimmy need no longer apply.

So who exactly has posted these juxtapositioned ideas? I mean has anyone at all said you shouldn’t sign a 10? Let alone not a foreign one? And which of those people (if indeed they do exist) said you should be happy with someone like Carbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If John Cooney is asked to play another second at 10 for Ulster this season you have ****ed up miserably....

Play Marshall at 10 if you are desperate to destroy people's momentum. Leave Cooney at 9 where he is killing it.

Also, lol at the idea of demanding a 3yr deal if carberry or jjh was to wander up to help you out. This is a worse spot than beggars can't be choosers. You have done nothing whatsoever to try and get some exposure and opportunitity to an internal option. At this stage, any irish lad who played senior Cup rugby at 10 for more than two games could see themselves as a serious option to lead Ulster's backline.

You heard him, Awec. It's bed with no supper for you, you beastly boy.

Who else is available?

Serious question.

The options are ridiculously limited already! Pretending otherwise is mental.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

Play your academy players so!!!!

You haven't. Yet you know that CL leaves in weeks....

I am certain you wouldn't complain once when your naive 19 year old out half 'costs' you games that you may otherwise have won. Certain!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement