Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Lol Miriam, David, Katherine and your man having the bants on Rte. What a lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I see Paddy and Keith are being gracious in defeat.
    Paddy claiming that they "won the argument but lost the vote". Is this guy delusional?

I wonder if either of them will avail of gay marriage in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Midkemia wrote: »
    There was no effort put into the campaign in Roscommon at all, no canvassers or anything. The place was even covered in vote no posters for weeks before there was a single vote yes poster.

Most gays in those kips move to Dublin or London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If you're a minor he'd love you draw a line of consent with him.

Yeah, gays are also inherently paedophiles. Thank you for regurgitating stale IONA smear campaigns as if they're witty bon mots that just occurred to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

anyone have a link to the percentage polls ? :)

• Advertisement

That guy on RTE is hilarious!

Yes, that guy.

Alt J wrote: »
    anyone have a link to the percentage polls ? :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/results/2015/referendum/ssm/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why does RTE give so much airtime to David Quinn and the Iona Institute.

Who the hell are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

When should I tune in to TV for the official announcement? I'm abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Alt J wrote: »
    Not a great day too be from Roscommon or Leitrim :D

Was it ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I don't disagree with him tbh and I'm not usually given to hyperbole. If you've spent your life being told you can't enjoy the same rights as hetero people when it comes to building a home and life with the person you love, purely because of the way you are, and now you can... it is momentous. It's more than just marriage - it symbolises and means something unfathomably huge to gay people. Just put yourself in their ruby slippers.

I'm genuinely happy for anyone who feels better about themselves because of today's result. I understand how it's seen as much bigger than the simple question of gay marriage. An acceptance.

Still, it's not the abolition of slavery or the repeal of the penal laws. It was not the most pressing issue of the time. I believe it was mostly a case of the political class giving itself an open goal by backing an overwhelmingly popular cause in order to boost their own popularity and distract from the real problems the nation faces. The Opposition uniformly failed miserably in its most basic duty- to oppose.

The internet is aflame with those who don't actually care but are eager to display their superficial liberal credentials. There are still massive question marks for me over the character of the both campaigns, the frankly disgraceful behaviour of certain institutions (most especially An Garda Siochana) and the sinister foreign influences and attempts at social engineering.

Anyway, the people have spoken! Glad it's over. Well done to everyone who campaigned for this in an honorable fashion. Well done to everyone who voted.

David Quinn "As the representative of the 35%" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

i dont know any gays in ros

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Your right there is no gay community in Roscommon and the majority of gay people in Ireland do move to Dublin. Calling Roscommon a kip is a bit unfair, it's crap for young people that want the craic but grand apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Just had an awful realisation... the success from this referendum could see Enda holding onto his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

David Quinn "As the representative of the 35%" :rolleyes:

What is he on about, it was a yes/no question you don't need a representative group for a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

murpho999 wrote: »

Who the hell are they?

trust me, you don't want to know. . .

I'll give him that though: he is consistent in what he says, same "broken record".

As for the people asking us to be gracious, I will be gracious, no bother.
    Can the No side also be gracious in their defeat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

PLL wrote: »
    Just had an awful realisation... the success from this referendum could see Enda holding onto his seat.

Him losing? That would never, ever happen.

murpho999 wrote: »

Who the hell are they?

"balance"

53.6 Yes in Sligo North Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Some guy on RTE is saying we should have had a free vote like the UK. What does free voting mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is it? I find the questioning of people's sincerity on this matter quite disappointing tbh. People are mostly good - it's not that unfathomable that people want others to be able to build a life with their partner in the same manner that hetero people can do, and get to take for granted.

It the over the top bull**** from people you know wont give a **** next week about the matter. People love a bandwagon to jump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sjb25 wrote: »
    Want a snickers you seem cross

It's the hot weather and I can't abide the thinly veiled triumphalism now evident amongst some YES supporters.

Good man Dobo. In response to David going on about Politicans not having a free vote he said "I suppose we had the ultimate form of a free vote with a referendum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

You are one poster whose rage at the yes campaign due to *some* elements of it (yet no rage from you at some elements of the no campaign) has really struck me. Possibly because you are articulate and seem intelligent.

What mindset? Do answer instead of just leaving the above as a drive-by post.

Not viewing someone as experienced enough (which they're not, at 21) for the role of a very senior public official is not being anti equality - it is viewing someone as not experienced enough for the role of a very senior public official. And you know this. It applies to every job ever - so you'd better start pretending to be annoyed by all those situations also.

Look I know it seems like rage, but I assure you it's not. For me it's the wider problems that will ensue that the road.

It's the governmental interferance that I don't like (and frankly have never liked in anything). I'm probably what you call a conservative and probably an atheist/agnostic. Oh spoke for me in this referendum?

Iona and much of the No side is indeed a loony brigade that make me embarassed to even mention I was voting No. They had good arguments for the No side, but who'd listen to them when people just think "Jesus freaks and religious nutters". We had LGBT people coming for the No side and being seen as traitors or simply "misguided" for want of a better word.

There was no party or independent opposition, even if they didn't have a personal view that they were afraid to discuss, but it was a responsibility of theirs to discuss evidence. Science reports of children (for all purposes being equal) being brought up in heterosexual two parent households almost always faring better vs same sex households.

Honestly it was terrible on both sides. I'm glad its over too. We will see how things fare in the future. I actually think you're all really sound here and nice people, but it wsn't my intention to disturb some of you/ or rile you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 30,051 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some guy on RTE is saying we should have had a free vote like the UK. What does free voting mean?

I'd say he was talking about the politicians expressing their own vote instead of a political party collectively supporting one side

In the parliamentary system practiced here, party members generally have to vote in line with their colleagues or face sanctions including expulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Duggy747 wrote: »

We know one county which won't be doing many wedding receptions or civil ceremonies so :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Advertisement