Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Adamantium wrote: »
    Looks this this has passed by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

Yes to Equality except age equality.

There is a vast difference between the two concepts.

When I recruit staff I will often advertise and say that a minimum requirement is to have 5, 10 or 15 years' experience in the field of engineering. That's not ageist, it is establishing a minimum level of competence for the role. Applicants with less experience who apply do not get short-listed for interview.

The role of Irish President requires a level of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately there is no reliable short-listing process, and candidates could potentially be put up for election who are 22 - 26 years of age (i.e. lacking in the required level of experience). We can talk about the election process as being a selection system, but unfortunately this is open to bizarre outcomes from protest votes or idolatry (Dustin / Jedward representing us in the Eurovision being a trivial example of this).

So yeah, I voted NO to the presidential selection criterion change. I just could not take Bressie seriously if the teens of Ireland voted him in to Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

So same sex marriage is legal in Ireland now while weed is not. Talk about getting your priorities twisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Duggy747 wrote: »

It seems to have worked in Roscommon Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Who is going to be the first to tell the gay community that marriage isnt all that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Alt J wrote: »
    Not a great day too be from Roscommon or Leitrim :D
    Why? I voted yes (as did all my family members) in a parish in Mayo which will probably vote no and I feel no personal sense of shame or embarrassment. I suppose I could argue we were afraid to voice our views, and were silenced, like Iona and the No side have argued...They really are pathetic people.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does RTE give so much airtime to David Quinn and the Iona Institute.

Who the hell are they?
    They're the only real opposition to same sex marriage, and thus they kept cropping up in every debate and interview. They're a fundamental religious conservative group who want Ireland to be a Theocracy, or an Ionacracy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So same sex marriage is legal in Ireland now while weed is not. Talk about getting your priorities twisted.

I'm straight, and have been known to dabble in certain intoxicants.

This is far more important, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

OH and I are really regretting our decision to vote yes. We are now having to deal with the aftermath. I explained to Little Kiwi that he now has to call us 'Parent 1' and 'Parent 2', and that he is not allowed to refer to us as Mummy and Daddy anymore. He is just not getting it! This was a big mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

ziedth wrote: »
    I am a yes voter, i mentioned in one of the other threads that i did it mainly because i have a little boy (and however many more on the way) who might one day be gay and want to marry soneone they love. Simple as that is was a yes vote. Now, even if i didn't have a child it would have been a yes off all the obvious reasons that people on the yes side have been campaigning for the last few weeks.

However, over time it became more then that for me. It became about not wanting to part of a country that those on the no side want.

Yes yes & yes! Excellent post. it is fantastic to see such euphoria & happiness around the country this morning. A no vote would have been so disheartening & would have sent out such a depressing signal that Irish society was stuck in a backwards time warp. Not to mention the message it would send to all of the LGBT community in Ireland, young & old.

I suppose we'll all have to marry a gay now! Chuckle... ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Science reports of children (for all purposes being equal) being brought up in heterosexual two parent households almost always faring better vs same sex households.

Citations needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

K4t wrote: »
    Why? I voted yes (as did all my family members) in a parish in Mayo which will probably vote no and I feel no personal sense of shame or embarrassment.

Don't speak so soon K4t. I come from a small rural village that I was sure would have been firmly voting no.

A tally man from the count tweeted a photo of his tally of the very box I put my ballot in yesterday and it showed a 64% yes vote.

To say I was shocked (but extremely proud) would be an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So can we expect a raft of proposals tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

iDave wrote: »
    So can we expect a raft of proposals tonight?

already happening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

As a bi guy who has only acknowledged the fact that he is bi to himself and friends and family recently I am absolutely over the moon with this result :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

To all the boardsies that voted YES Thank you so much!!' I'm so delighted my own village was 61% YES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah... the right of two people being allowed to marry is far less important than letting people buy drugs legally...

Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yeah, worrying about the legality of a plant over human equality is having your priorities twisted alright.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Except Roscommon.
    Some of us up here voted Yes.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

One of the best days of my life. Not that it matters but I'm straight. I just have this crazy idea that all people should be treated equally.

HUGELY PROUD. Well done you crazy vote loving f*ckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's the hot weather and I can't abide the thinly veiled triumphalism now evident amongst some YES supporters.

Nothing thinly veiled about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm straight, and have been known to dabble in certain intoxicants.

This is far more important, imo.

Legalisation of weed would contribute more to the greater good. That's the bottom line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zen65 wrote: »

When I recruit staff I will often advertise and say that a minimum requirement is to have 5, 10 or 15 years' experience in the field of engineering. That's not ageist, it is establishing a minimum level of competence for the role. Applicants with less experience who apply do not get short-listed for interview.

The role of Irish President requires a level of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately there is no reliable short-listing process, and candidates could potentially be put up for election who are 22 - 26 years of age (i.e. lacking in the required level of experience). We can talk about the election process as being a selection system, but unfortunately this is open to bizarre outcomes from protest votes or idolatry (Dustin / Jedward representing us in the Eurovision being a trivial example of this).

So yeah, I voted NO to the presidential selection criterion change. I just could not take Bressie seriously if the teens of Ireland voted him in to Phoenix Park.

The point is that there is nothing stopping someone who does not have the required advertised experience applying for the job and then just not being selected for interview.

So in the case of the president people should have the right to run regardless of age and then they have to get elected by the public.

Having the right does not mean an automatic 21 year old. Big difference.
    Also would you take Bressie any more serious if he was 35?

Campaign completely overshadowed by marriage referendum and should not have been run on same day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

efb wrote: »
    To all the boardsies that voted YES Thank you so much!!' I'm so delighted my own village was 61% YES!!!

So maybe you're not the only gay in the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Legalisation of weed would contribute more to the greater good. That's the bottom line.

I agree with legalisation of weed as well, but in all fairness cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Zen65 wrote: »

What about a 30 year old. Who's more qualified a 30 year old with a qualification in law and 5 years experience with constitutional law or a 60 year old who dropped out of school at 12 and can barely sign his name?

If you don't think someone is qualified don't vote for them but they should be able to put their name forward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Look I know it seems like rage, but I assure you it's not. For me it's the wider problems that will ensue that the road.

It's the governmental interferance that I don't like (and frankly have never liked in anything).
    That's a bit rich, considering it was governmental interference that prevented same-sex couples from marrying here until today.
    There was no party or independent opposition, even if they didn't have a personal view that they were afraid to discuss, but it was a responsibility of theirs to discuss evidence. Science reports of children (for all purposes being equal) being brought up in heterosexual two parent households almost always faring better vs same sex households.
    What, in your mind, constitutes "independent opposition"? Off the top of my head I can think of Michael Healy-Rae, Fidelma Healy-Eames, Ronan Mullen and Mattie McGrath as members of the Oireachtas who opposed this referendum. I'd hazard a guess that a fair amount of Renua members also opposed this (albeit ones who may not be in the Oireachtas) as well as tiny far-right parties too.

As far as the evidence suggests, there's no difference between same-sex and opposite-sex parents. If all other factors were equal and I was asked to choose between same-sex and opposite-sex adoptive parents, I'd honestly use this site to decide (I guess it might eliminate any personal biases that may come into play if I decided to flip a coin a few times).

oldrnwisr did a great job in collating studies on same-sex parenting vs opposite-sex parenting, as you can read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Rory O'Neil looking like a bad joke on television.

I'd take him more seriously if he made a dignified appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Meath West 60.1% Yes vote.

So f***ing happy with that, especially being a bisexual teen from that constituency.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Brilliant result..I really thought it was going to be a lot closer..just goes to show you that when the Irish electorate get it right, they really get it right.

Congratulations Ireland.You're no longer in the dark ages and the Catholic influence on everything Irish is well and truly gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Alt J wrote: »
    Not a great day too be from Roscommon or Leitrim :D

I wouldn't say that. Thankfully the decision of the people applies in Leitrim-Roscommon just as it does everywhere else.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

DeadHand wrote: »
    Rory O'Neil looking like a bad joke on television.

I'd take him more seriously if he made a dignified appearance.

I think he's being just however he wants to be.

Taking an approach of trying to accept people just as they are, I take him all the more seriously for just being exactly as he wants to be.

Advertisement