Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Looks this this has passed by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

Yes to Equality except age equality.
    The amazing thing is the amount of Yes for Equality Gay Marriage voters who have voted No on the Age Equality Presidential referendum.

The ****ing hypocrisy. Yes to equality, except...

That will tell you the mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Adamantium wrote: »
    Looks this this has by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

The amazing thing is the amount of Yes for Equality Gay Marriage voters who have voted No on the Age Equality Presidential referendum.

The young will get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Looks this this has by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

There there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Turtwig wrote: »
    Well done lads. Westboro has taken notice

They have the flag of the Ivory Coast there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

ziedth wrote: »
    I am a yes voter, i mentioned in one of the other threads that i did it mainly because i have a little boy (and however many more on the way) who might one day be gay and want to marry soneone they love. Simple as that is was a yes vote. Now, even if i didn't have a child it would have been a yes off all the obvious reasons that people on the yes side have been campaigning for the last few weeks.

However, over time it became more then that for me. It became about not wanting to part of a country that those on the no side want.

For me the times of the church or whoever thinking that they can deciede on moral matters based on their beliefs is gone. we're at time now that we can make an informed decision and just look bemused at the kind of people who ****e on about it being a "sin" or even worse those that downright lied to try and get thier way.

My big disapointment is that i couldn't get my own parents to change their mind but they are your classic brainwashed from birth Irish Catholics. I guess i have to be some bit proud that saw through the lies but still voted no because it would be "agreeing with their lifestyle" but not against them as such.

Well done on everyone on everyone on here who defended the yes campaign. I got angry just reading some messages here and some other more traditional threads but i was always glad to see someone with more patience then me defending the right thing to do.

Those who are no i guess all i say is i hope you see that this is what the majority want and leave it at that.

I Can't wait for my first gay wedding....

I can't wait for the first gay traveller wedding ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

This just in....

News of the result has reached Springfield as Kent Brockman interviews a representative from Iona!

PS: Is that an Ivory Coast flag that those Westboro chaps have used to say that "God hates Ireland"?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Great day. Proud to be Irish! :)

I think many of the No voters will be a little embarrassed as times goes on especially when they realise that gay people are not eating their children. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Keep on. Call me a homophobe why don't you?

Want a snickers you seem cross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭DeadHand

David Quinn being very gracious on TV.

The lad from Sinn Fein felt able to say it was "a momentous event in the history of humanity".

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Think it's a great thing for Ireland I really can't call Ireland a backward country anymore oh well judt have to find something else to annoy them with. But delighted this is a yes. Although my other half he or she will still be getting a prenup :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The young will get older.

And some will die before they get the chance! Is that not inequality? A lot of good a no vote will do for them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Happy with the outcome.

I'll be honest I'm not a gay friendly person. I have my questions about homosexuality but I voted yes. I voted yes because I or no one else have the right to measure there love and devotion for each other against that of a hetro couple.

If 2 men or 2 women want to spend the rest of their lives together good for them they deserve the same piece of paper and legal status I'm entitled to.

Its not a win for homosexuality its a win for love and equality. We all aren't treated equal in life but we should certainly have the right to be.

Life is hard enough we shouldn't be persecuting anyone for the way they were born.

Well done Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Iona's David Quinn on RTE now, he looks disgusted.
    I hope I never meet that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rob316 wrote: »
    Happy with the outcome.

I'll be honest I'm not a gay friendly person. I have my questions about homosexuality but I voted yes. I voted yes because I or no one else have the right to measure there love and devotion for each other against that of a hetro couple.

If 2 men or 2 women want to spend the rest of their lives together good for them they deserve the same piece of paper and legal status I'm entitled to.

Its not a win for homosexuality its a win for love and equality. We all aren't treated equal in life but we should certainly have the right to be.

Life is hard enough we shouldn't be persecuting anyone for the way they were born.

Well done Ireland.

What questions have you, if you mind me asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

DeadHand wrote: »
    David Quinn being very gracious on TV.
    Yup, fair play where it's due.
    The lad from Sinn Fein felt able to say it was "a momentous event in the history of humanity".

Jesus wept.
    I don't disagree with him tbh and I'm not usually given to hyperbole. If you've spent your life being told you can't enjoy the same rights as hetero people when it comes to building a home and life with the person you love, purely because of the way you are, and now you can... it is momentous. It's more than just marriage - it symbolises and means something unfathomably huge to gay people. Just put yourself in their ruby slippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Sometimes, I hope I do meet him.

The thing about Quinn being gracious is that it's very easy to be gracious when you've lost nothing meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

rob316 wrote: »
    Happy with the outcome.

Well done Ireland.

Good man anyway for being open-minded and willing to let people live their lives even if you don't understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Arent we the first country to allow same sex couples to get married by vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

I just listening to Claire Byrne and I have to say that my jaw has dropped a few times

Iona are saying it was a ten year campaign on behalf of yes campaign

Somebody needs to remind the panel it's 2,000 years of prescution on behalf of group think ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

So all the no camp want to whine now that it didn't matter anyway?
    Well why were they campaigning against it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I can see it this afternoon in an address to the crowd in Dublin Castle. Lead speaker holding up the card once the result is announced.

"Now listen carefully young gay couples...

This may look like a credit card, maybe it even looks like a debit card, but in fact this card is a special card, it is a card that will unlock the doors of opportunities for you no matter what your skills or abilities. Herewith going forward, anytime you don't get your own way simply show this card, we call it the "gay discrimination card"

Reflect on that.

I think it is shameful that those who wish to act in the best interests of children may now be afraid to do so for the risk of being called a homophobe. The yes campaign has been very intimidating to those on the no side who have held sincere views. We've got lost in some issues, which ultimately, if people communicated right, are not really the subject of disagreement amongst sensible thinking people. Equally, the no side has had some plonkers and very sinister minded people who have not helped. But this result is appalling. And no matter what may be said, an ultimate and fundamental issue is this issue of children, it is no herring, and now a platform has been enshrined in the constitution.

Give it a few weeks and he'll probably be spotted in one of the bathhouses looking for some rough trade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Looks this this has passed by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

It's funny because the majority of the arguments coming from the 'No' camp were all based around this concept of "different but kind of equal but not really".

Ageism is indeed an issue in this country; but I think crying ageism in terms of a requirement for a very specific and singular position of state is a little disingenuous. Especially since you really couldn't care less about it; you're just trying to attack the result of this historic referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

niallo27 wrote: »
    What questions have you, if you mind me asking.

Another time man. Its a good day today every child born today in this country will be in a better country than yesterday.

myshirt wrote: »
    I can see it this afternoon in an address to the crowd in Dublin Castle. Lead speaker holding up the card once the result is announced.

This may look like a credit card, maybe it even looks like a debit card, but in fact this card is a special card, it is a card that will unlock the doors of opportunities for you no matter what your skills or abilities. Herewith going forward, anytime you don't get your own way simply show this card, we call it the "gay discrimination card"

Reflect on that.

I think it is shameful that those who wish to act in the best interests of children may now be afraid to do so. The yes campaign has been very intimidating to those on the no side who have held sincere views. We've got lost in some issues, which ultimately, if people communicated right, are not really the subject of disagreement amongst sensible thinking people. Equally, the no side has had some plonkers and very sinister minded people who have not helped. But this result is appalling. And no matter what may be said, an ultimate and fundamental issue is this issue of children, it is no herring, and now a platform has been enshrined in the constitution.

Those who act in the best interest of Children.

So, like, the ISPCC?

Perhaps you should ask them how they feel about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Australians are giving out all over my Facebook page hahaha! They suddenly look very backward being the last English speaking country without equal marriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Turtwig wrote: »
    Well done lads. Westboro has taken notice.

https://twitter.com/WBCSaysRepent/status/602097005804916736

.irish statement to westboro church

myshirt wrote: »

Reflect on that.

I think it is shameful that those who wish to act in the best interests of children may now be afraid to do so. The yes campaign has been very intimidating to those on the no side who have held sincere views. We've got lost in some issues, which ultimately, if people communicated right, are not really the subject of disagreement amongst sensible thinking people. Equally, the no side has had some plonkers and very sinister minded people who have not helped. But this result is appalling. And no matter what may be said, an ultimate and fundamental issue is this issue of children, it is no herring, and now a platform has been enshrined in the constitution.

Your post is so lacking in comedy or logical thought that I can't even be arsed with a response, have a puppy

yGr6F2A.pngv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Miraculous medals being found in ballot boxes in Roscommon according to Rte :pac:

Advertisement