Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Not Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I was kinda hoping Sansa would stand up to him e.g. "I am your wife and equal now, a Stark etc etc" and demand his respect, stopping him in his tracks, but alas...

She wouldn't be his equal in the GOT world or in this world until recently.

It was an uncomfortable one to watch but aside from Reek being there I don't think it was one that surprised Sansa too much, her scene with Littlefinger when she was told about the wedding indicated to me she knew what was being asked of her if she returned to Winterfell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I had to laugh at some of the online reaction to last night's rape scene, I mean first off has nobody told them that this isn't actually real and second off have they never watched any of the previous seasons??? Now I've never been 'offended' or 'outraged' by GOT but I have to laugh at some of the people only coming out now saying that GOT has 'crossed the line' and 'they're never watching again'.

Apparently people's heads getting melted, heads chopped off, people getting burned alive, a previous rape scene, poisonings and tits, gee and cock by the bucket full etc etc were all fine 'BUT YESTERDAY, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE!!!' :-)

Send me on a link to where somebody said 'they're never watching again' as I didnt think they existed.

Apparently people's heads getting melted, heads chopped off, people getting burned alive, a previous rape scene, poisonings and tits, gee and cock by the bucket full etc etc were all fine 'BUT YESTERDAY, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE!!!' :-)

Yeah but it's Sansa, not some flea bottom whore (with perfect measurements). Poor oul Sansa has been through the ringer and back again. She's probably garnered the most sympathy of any character and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yeah! I actually thought it was very restrained by GoT standards and even though it was a tough scene to watch, I thought it was well done. I was even thinking to myself that sometimes the show is a bit OTT and that it was a good sign that they'd learned that not everything has to be graphic in order to have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Send me on a link to where somebody said 'they're never watching again' as I didnt think they existed.

Twitter and Tumblr went into meltdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Yeah but it's Sansa, not some flea bottom whore (with perfect measurements). Poor oul Sansa has been through the ringer and back again. She's probably garnered the most sympathy of any character and rightly so.

Ye check the Twitter machine or google the reaction if you're not on twitter, you'll see there's plenty of people not overly happy with the ending.

I know it was Sansa but again this is GOT, there's not a lot of hope or justice to be had in Westeros, that's the way it's been since series 1 and isn't likely to change any time soon.

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    Yeah! I actually thought it was very restrained by GoT standards and even though it was a tough scene to watch, I thought it was well done. I was even thinking to myself that sometimes the show is a bit OTT and that it was a good sign that they'd learned that not everything has to be graphic in order to have an impact.

Ye I thought it was a very well acted scene aswell, Ramsey really is one of those characters that's never dull, his sadistic nature makes him very unpredictable and I love his calm sinister smile. I thought it was a relatively restrained scene aswell, by GOT standards it could have been a lot more violent, although I'm happy it wasn't.

Of course now we're probably all hoping Reek will intervene but knowing GOT that isn't likely, at least if he doesn't that opens up the possibility of Ramsey getting an even worse faith, possibly when Stannis arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

in fairness what did people expect this is ramsey we're talking about. Maybe there should have been scented candles and rose petals sprinkled on the bed. I thought the wedding night night would have been much worse, she got of lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Poor oul Sansa has been through the ringer and back again. She's probably garnered the most sympathy of any character and rightly so.
    I don't know. Her naivety and doormat approach has got her into these scenarios.

I'd have more sympathy for the hound! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if Loras will demand a trial by combat? Loras vs FrankenMountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I look forward to the episode where Sansa murders (indirectly or otherwise) Ramsay. She has to be going full-metal evil/devious, or else her having another ****ty other half is so pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder if Loras will demand a trial by combat? Loras vs FrankenMountain?

I was actually thinking the same thing myself. Wasn't it Loras that The Mountain nearly kill in season 1 before The Hound stepped in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm half surprised tyrion was so reluctant to die, whats left for him in this world? If I was him id rather a slit throat of the fate that most likely awaits him in Mereen, getting roasted alive and eaten by dragons...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/19/qutting-game-of-thrones-sansa_n_7332964.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Asoiaf westeros forum every second poster was like I'm never watching again
    The writers should be made accountable for this
    Christ almighty some people need to get a reality check

Think what pissed people off was that they showed Sansa to finally grow a spine and get upper hand off Meranda in bath scene..
    ..then to have her immediately raped after this significant character development was bit of "Ah Jaysus, she back to square one"..

But yeah, the reaction was ridiculously OTT

Probably one of the more enjoyable episodes this season.

I don't think the Sandsnakes stuff is as bad as people are making out, I think the anti-sandsnakes sentiment is becoming a bit of a circlejerk. I'll reserve judgement about what is going on there until I see it played out.

Poor auld Sansa. Out of the frying pan into the fire, then into the vat of acid, then into the pit of thumb tacs, then dipped in the salt mines. It just keeps getting worse.

Couple of things coming to a head now which should make for an interesting latter half of the season. I think the Tyrion and Jon Snow storylines are the most enjoyable thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just watched episode 5 and 6 there. For me this show is after getting hilariously bad since last season. The pacing is so slow and the mythology is all over the place. However, I am going to stick with it until the end of the season and hope that they give me a reason to come back.

Again this is my own personal opinion, so don't go mad at me!

Just watched episode 5 and 6 there. For me this show is after getting hilariously bad since last season. The pacing is so slow and the mythology is all over the place. However, I am going to stick with it until the end of the season and hope that they give me a reason to come back.

No, the very sad thing is you’re correct. I mean, season 3 was quite slow paced but we all realized why after the Red Wedding…it really took people a while to process what had just occurred.

I think a lot of people are ignoring the fact the season is so poor (me included) and hoping that it improves with each passing week. There is a danger that they attempt to wedge too much into the last episodes. I really don’t want to feel deflated when a bit of revenge occurs.

I’m beginning to get disheartened with Dranerys and Sandviper scenes.

All I want is a big ‘WHAT THE FOOK’ moment to tide me over. It’s been a while and the audience are yearning for it.

C’mon lads, give Arya a snub nosed uzi or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I agree this season needs to cop itself on. Last year we had Joffrey's death, Tyrion's trial, the head-crushing...er...incident, and the fight on the Wall. These all stood out in the whole of GOT so far as cracking episodes. So far we haven't got anything like them. Granted, three of those I mentioned came in the last half of the series, but we need something to grab onto this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

As described above. But it seems a bit unbelievable that this cult went from nothing to the greatest power in the city in the space of a couple of episodes.

You have to rememebr that months are going by in those couple of episodes though.

Littlefinger has managed to travel the 1000 plus miles to Winterfell and back in those same episodes.

• Advertisement

I agree with the sentiments here, it hasn't been a great season so far, things are moving too slowly but I think Monday's episode got things moving a bit, especially with the Queen getting arrested, hopefully now they'll build on this, another stalemate episode would be very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Anyone else think Theon will crack and kill Ramsey at some stage or will he die in a different way?
    He looked close to breaking point at the end of this episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

The series is starting to buckle under the weight of its various plot lines. It's trying to squeeze too much into each episode. The pacing is terrible. The inquest scene last night could have been quite good, but it was over before it even got started. The same goes for Arya's scenes, which more than any other warranted a slower treatment. It seems like this episode was about Stuff Happening™ regardless of narrative flow or execution.

I've only read some of the early books so I'm not sure how canonical the series has become, but it either needs to depart from the books, or follow them more closely, because it's not working on the screen. The whole Dorne story is tiresome. It's reminiscent of a 90's Sky 1 fantasy series, with its exotic (i.e. not English) accents and terrible lighting.

I'll continue to watch it because I've bought into the lore, but I'm under no illusions, Game of Thrones has turned into slightly above average television.

Finally, Sansa's rape made for uncomfortable viewing, but it's in keeping with how this series views its female characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Anyone else think Theon will crack and kill Ramsey at some stage or will he die in a different way?
    He looked close to breaking point at the end of this episode.

I'm wondering is Ramsey trying to push him to that or is he punishing him for looking a little bit chuffed with himself for his little part during the wedding also not holding Sansas arm like he was told.

If he does snap it'll be epic, I'm thinking there'll be bits of Ramsey all over the walls and Theon sitting in the middle if it laughing like a maniac.

I'm wondering what Little Fingers real plan is, I think whatever plan hes putting into action is going to be really intricate, hes a real mastermind. He put Sansa there for a reason and it was for his own best interests and noone elses. She was a big prize to give up without huge rewards to be reaped.

That rape scene was awful though, I think the fact it was left up to our imagination and we could only hear her screaming that made it worse than any of the other scenes previous, even Daenrys' scene wasnt as bad, she didn't scream and it was obvious that Drogo wasnt a nut job. We just know Sansa isn't going to be physically okay after all this. Awful scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

chasmcb wrote: »
    . If Reek/Theon could actually dredge up the will to do it he would certainly have the motivation to give Ramsey the kind of horrible death he deserves,

A good old-fashioned flaying would be particularly appropriate - if unlikely.

The show needs Ramsay though - can't see him being killed yet (despite this being GoT)
    Think it more likely that Sansa will get Theon/Reek to light the candle in the abandoned tower
    Brienne and Podrick will rescue her and Ramsay take it out on Reek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

chasmcb wrote: »
    Cersei's blinkered perspective can be a bit thick and counter-productive. Her blind insistence that Tyrion had poisoned Joffrey was totally irrational, as even Jaime could see. And now here she is recklessly jeopardising a crucial alliance for some spiteful motives of her own.

Either Tywin or Tyrion (possibly both) remarked once that Cersei isn't as clever as she thinks she is. She seems to be busy proving that point. I also suspect she's seriously underestimating the old lady. She was so busy putting Tyrion in the frame for Joffrey's death that it doesn't seem to have occurred to her that the Tyrrells might have been involved.

Surely Lancel is aware of Cersei and the incest with Jamie (aswell as with himself, seen as they 1st Cousins)

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Surely Lancel is aware of Cersei and the incest with Jamie (aswell as with himself, seen as they 1st Cousins)

Ah yeah, I think the writing is on the wall that the Sparrows will round on Cersei or maybe they will kill Tommen as a product of incest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

storker wrote: »
    Either Tywin or Tyrion (possibly both) remarked once that Cersei isn't as clever as she thinks she is. She seems to be busy proving that point. I also suspect she's seriously underestimating the old lady. She was so busy putting Tyrion in the frame for Joffrey's death that it doesn't seem to have occurred to her that the Tyrrells might have been involved.
    Even Jaime remarked that blaming Tyrion made no sense but that Cersei refused to see any other possibility. I actually really love Cersei's character, she's always interesting to watch and contrary to what Tywin and/or Tyrion said, I think she was quite clever in earlier storylines. But since Joffrey's death she seems to have lost her grip and there's a desperation to her actions that wasn't there before. I have no doubt that arming the Sparrows will come back to haunt her.

Oh, and I super love Olenna. Cersei is definitely underestimating her. We already know that Olenna gets what she wants. She's a straight talker and she's not afraid to do what needs to be done. House Lannister is on the wane and Olenna will have the Tyrells step up if she can.

I wonder is the jilted nature of this season because they're coming up to the end of what GRRM has written? They might be afraid to make certain changes that would make it more watchable because they don't know what the implications of those changes will be down the line. Whereas with the earlier seasons it would have been easier for them to say "let's merge those characters" or "that's not all that important, we'll leave it out" and have an idea of whether they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Advertisement