Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Not Read the Books

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

bren2001 wrote: »
    Can you explain to me at what point she consented? She has to actually consent, there is no default consent....

She never said No, did she?

Look don't get me wrong, it was brutal - and by todays standards it would indeed be rape. But not in Game of Thrones!

I honestly thought it was going to be horrific viewing but it wasn't, it was bearable - I'm just trying to say that it wasn't as awful as some have made it out to be and I don't think it was rape, as horrible as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

J. Marston wrote: »
    I wasn't outraged by the scene either, it was just horrible to watch from the point of view of liking Sansa as a character.

Oh definitely, she is so sweet and innocent that it makes it all the worse. Hopefully Theon will get his revenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭bren2001

She never said No, did she?

Look don't get me wrong, it was brutal - and by todays standards it would indeed be rape. But not in Game of Thrones!

I honestly thought it was going to be horrific viewing but it wasn't, it was bearable - I'm just trying to say that it wasn't as awful as some have made it out to be and I don't think it was rape, as horrible as it was.

Just because she didn't fight it doesn't mean its not rape. She doesn't have to say no. Saying that, it was quite tastefully done and I had no issue with it. It makes for an interesting story line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

It's GOT, some of ye are taking this terribly seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It's GOT, some of ye are taking this terribly seriously.

It's a door, use it.

BryfMxSCcAApgEg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

It's a door, use it.

BryfMxSCcAApgEg.jpg

Meow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bren2001 wrote: »
    Can you explain to me at what point she consented? She has to actually consent, there is no default consent....

When she agreed to marry him as the bed ceremony is part of the wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I actually find it pretty disturbing that people think that what happened to Sansa somehow wasn't rape. Just because she knew he was a psycho and they would have to consummate the marriage, doesn't mean that she really wanted to have sex with him or do it while Theon stood there watching. She clearly didn't want to do that, but was in a position where she couldn't very well back out. It was rape in every sense of the word. I don't even think the show writers would dispute that it was rape.

Even Tyrion said when he married Sansa that he wouldn't consummate the marriage because he didn't want to rape her. Just because it's a sort of medieval world, doesn't mean that rape suddenly stops being rape. I mean, marital rape was legal in Ireland until not too long ago and we still consider it rape, even it was "a different time". Was Ned any less murdered simply because it's Game of Thrones and killing people is part and parcel of that world? Just because certain heinous acts were 'ok' by the standards of a certain time period, it doesn't make them any less wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

PressRun wrote: »
    I actually find it pretty disturbing that people think that what happened to Sansa somehow wasn't rape.

Totally agree. The fact that some people still think it wasn't rape is a lot more disturbing than the actual scene.

I do think some of the public reaction was over the top though considering way worse things have happened on the show without the outrage. The stabbing of Robb's pregnant wife at the Red Wedding was the most disturbing thing the show has done so far for me anyway. Theon getting his lad chopped off was also pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Ah yeah, 'twas rape by any standard.

Still, far from the worst thing to happen on what has been a particularly brutal story and unworthy of the fury over it.

I still remember the genuine shock I felt at Jaime lobbing Bran out the window of the tower. It was the first really shocking thing to happen on the show. It's since lost a lot of that capacity to surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not sure what to make of Mountain 2.0 tbh. Regardless of what the mad scientist does with him, how much extra is he actually going to be able to do? If push comes to shove is he going to wipe out the entire faith or whatever army the Tyrells inevitably sent in after Cersei?

Surely he'll be unstoppable in trial by combat but after that, I'm not so sure what to expect. I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Bet ser loras wishes he lived in Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Essien wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of Mountain 2.0 tbh. Regardless of what the mad scientist does with him, how much extra is he actually going to be able to do? If push comes to shove is he going to wipe out the entire faith or whatever army the Tyrells inevitably sent in after Cersei?

Surely he'll be unstoppable in trial by combat but after that, I'm not so sure what to expect. I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

Oberyn dealt with him fairly easily in the trial by combat but he got cocky when he should've just driven the spear through him. Multiple times.

I think Loras will beat him if they do a trial by combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I was under the impression he was coming back stronger, which would seem a little pointless if he were to and lose his first trial by combat to Loris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If the tyrells make Cercei and Jamie's relationship publicly known and the faith militants go after them then who would become king seeing as the current king is illegitimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Brian2208

If Tommen and Myrcella are out of the picture Stannis would become the rightful king as King Robert's brother

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Essien wrote: »

I wonder will he face off with the Hound at some stage. Aria said something along the lines of 'leaving him to die' in the last episode. I was taking that as a hint that he is most likely still alive.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Oberyn dealt with him fairly easily in the trial by combat but he got cocky when he should've just driven the spear through him. Multiple times.

I think Loras will beat him if they do a trial by combat.

Oberyn would be a hell of a lot more skilful and nimble than the average fighter though. Even Bonn, who is not exactly a novice in fighter, told Tyrion he would not stand a chance against the Mountain. If memory recalls I think Jamie alluded to much the same, even if he had use of both his hands. I couldn't see Loras getting the better of either version of the Mountain.
    If the tyrells make Cercei and Jamie's relationship publicly known and the faith militants go after them then who would become king seeing as the current king is illegitimate?

Would it be Gendry be next in line, as he is Roberts illegitimate. If it's not common knowledge about Gendry, then surely Stannis. If there is a power vacuum in Kings Landing, then whoever is wins the battle at Winterfell can swoop down to claim the Iron Throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

mzungu wrote: »
    I wonder will he face off with the Hound at some stage. Aria said something along the lines of 'leaving him to die' in the last episode. I was taking that as a hint that he is most likely still alive.

that is interesting
    In that scene Jaq would hit her when ever she lied.
    ayra went "I left him to die. I hated him" and she got a WHACK
    I'd assumed the lie was "I hated him"
    Unless Brotherhood With No Banners turn up to revive him though don't see how he could survive
    Also don't see how he could get to Kings Landing to potentially fight FrankenMountain
    Oberyn would be a hell of a lot more skilful and nimble than the average fighter though. Even Bonn, who is not exactly a novice in fighter, told Tyrion he would not stand a chance against the Mountain. If memory recalls I think Jamie alluded to much the same, even if he had use of both his hands. I couldn't see Loras getting the better of either version of the Mountain.

that is true, remember that Brienne bet Loras in a duel infront of Renly
    Would it be Gendry be next in line, as he is Roberts illegitimate. If it's not common knowledge about Gendry, then surely Stannis. If there is a power vacuum in Kings Landing, then whoever is wins the battle at Winterfell can swoop down to claim the Iron Throne.

Gendry would have to be legitimized by the King to become next in line- can't imagine Cersei (who has Tommen under her thumb) allowing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Brian2208 wrote: »
    If Tommen and Myrcella are out of the picture Stannis would become the rightful king as King Robert's brother

Stannis is the rightful king irregardless of what happens in King's Landing. Tommen and Myrcella are products of incest, not Robert's offspring.
    Oberyn would be a hell of a lot more skilful and nimble than the average fighter though. Even Bonn, who is not exactly a novice in fighter, told Tyrion he would not stand a chance against the Mountain

He didn't say he wouldn't stand a chance. He wasn't totally confident but he still believed he could win. Cersei offered him a better, safer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Unless Brotherhood With No Banners turn up to revive him though don't see how he could survive

Uh Mah Gawd, although I choose to believe the Hound is alive my head says he could not have survived until this point you've raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Great to see so many comments (200!) on this episode and ergo the season so far, so great to hear people's views and such better discussion than what happened after the 4-episode leak a month ago. Bring on the final 4 and let's keep the talking going! Only a few more hours until episode 7 lands, can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Bronn said it was too dangerous if I remember correctly as one mistake would get him killed. Jaime said he couldn't beat him with one hand.

Advertisement