Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Not Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

mzungu wrote: »
    For pretty much all the seasons so far folks have been complaining about slow pacing, bad writing, filler episodes etc.Then the last few episodes kick into gear and its all forgotten about...until the following year when the process repeats itself.

Id say half of it is to generate publicity for the show.

I think you're bang on.

I distinctly remember feeling like this while watching season 3 yet when I watch it in it's entirety it's a great season.

We all tune in week on week with giddy anticipation, we seek to be shocked to the heights of the Red Wedding or just see a taste of revenge being dished out. I gotta say, they are really making us work for it and I'm just hoping when the revenge gets going it does not disappoint.

4 episodes left, bring it home in style folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Zaph wrote: »
    And ruthless efficiency!

And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Good episode , good season so far but it's well short of what we have come to expect from GOT. I agree it needs more episodes per season , maybe 12-14 because there is too much cramming going on.

Tommen needs to learn quickly to assert some authority or it'll be his death very soon , weak king's won't last very long he may be young but he's a bystander to everything that is going on around him and hasn't opened his mouth. Your the King man , grow some balls...there trying to kill your wife... You can imagine if that was Joffrey the 'High Septum' would not be hanging by his entrails from the top of the castle and his 'guards' would be either dead or awaiting public execution...And Tommen should have taken that moment to put the boot down, have a wee chat with Mammy afterwards , tell her you love her and if she interfers again in your affairs/marriage or the council she'll go for a neck stretch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yes. But they very rarely used them to bring about their own downfall.

Which is why having the inquisitors drag of the reigning Monarch was a little odd at such an informal hearing. It just felt wrong.

Watch "Wolf Hall" -
    at the end Anne Boleyn has her head chopped off, she was the queen at the time.
    (spoilered for anyone who didn't pay attention during history class)

(also, seriously watch Wolf Hall, it's great.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

For pretty much all the seasons so far folks have been complaining about slow pacing, bad writing, filler episodes etc.Then the last few episodes kick into gear and its all forgotten about...until the following year when the process repeats itself.

Id say half of it is to generate publicity for the show.

I've been saying this to a few friends who have been complaining every week now that "nothing is happening". I've enjoyed it so far and don't understand all the complaints. I expect the big episodes to be 8/9/10, similar to other years.

We're not going to get twists turns, main characters killed and so on every episode or they would run out of plot quickly. I'm just going to look forward to the trial, the battle in the North, Tyrion getting closer to meeting Daenerys, and more than likely something big happening in Dorne.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think you're bang on.

I distinctly remember feeling like this while watching season 3 yet when I watch it in it's entirety it's a great season.

We all tune in week on week with giddy anticipation, we seek to be shocked to the heights of the Red Wedding or just see a taste of revenge being dished out. I gotta say, they are really making us work for it and I'm just hoping when the revenge gets going it does not disappoint.

4 episodes left, bring it home in style folks.

Absolutely, GOT always takes the slow burner approach and it makes the payoff far more enjoyable. If there was shocks and gore every week it would become stale and predictable. The fact that this season so far has been more about characters has me thinking some epic stuff is going to go down towards the latter end of this season, its certainly building up to to it. For example, Cersei Vs Olleanna Vs the religious fanatics, Littlefingers plotting (a highlight for me) Stannis Vs the Boltons at Winterfell, Jamie and Bonn at Dorne, Tyrion & Mr Friendzone arriving to meet Daenerys etc. Its all leading towards something, which is why I can't understand where all the criticism comes from.
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Good episode , good season so far but it's well short of what we have come to expect from GOT. I agree it needs more episodes per season , maybe 12-14 because there is too much cramming going on.

Tommen needs to learn quickly to assert some authority or it'll be his death very soon , weak king's won't last very long he may be young but he's a bystander to everything that is going on around him and hasn't opened his mouth. Your the King man , grow some balls...there trying to kill your wife... You can imagine if that was Joffrey the 'High Septum' would not be hanging by his entrails from the top of the castle and his 'guards' would be either dead or awaiting public execution...And Tommen should have taken that moment to put the boot down, have a wee chat with Mammy afterwards , tell her you love her and if she interfers again in your affairs/marriage or the council she'll go for a neck stretch as well.

You just know things have gone to crap in Kings Landing when Joffreys rule is being held up as an example of leadership :pac::D

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I've been saying this to a few friends who have been complaining every week now that "nothing is happening". I've enjoyed it so far and don't understand all the complaints. I expect the big episodes to be 8/9/10, similar to other years.

We're not going to get twists turns, main characters killed and so on every episode or they would run out of plot quickly. I'm just going to look forward to the trial, the battle in the North, Tyrion getting closer to meeting Daenerys, and more than likely something big happening in Dorne.

Totally, i'm hoping the budget saving in the earlier episodes (Dorne etc) is going towards when Stannis eventually arrives in Winterfell as that is gearing up to be this seasons big showdown. Id rather an epic big budget battle at Winterfell than more realistic looking sand dunes in Dorne! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Roar wrote: »
    I disagree massively with that. The wall scenes have been my favourite this season.

Not just the wall scenes. I have no problem with a slow paced show, I rather enjoy it as it usually builds up to something brilliant. Wolf Hall is a good example.

This season of GOT I have not really enjoyed,

The religious story line could be brilliant, but GOT is not developing this enough.

As for the wall, we will disagree. They introduce a great actor, Ciaran Hinds , and just when the wall could get interesting, it doesnt due to a bizarre death scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone else reckon Bronn is in for a death by poison after being cut by one of the Kill Bill squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

golfball37 wrote: »
    Anyone else reckon Bronn is in for a death by poison after being cut by one of the Kill Bill squad?

Better not be, he's one of the best characters in it IMO. If he was killed by someone like a Stannis, maybe, but as you put it, the kill bill squad, no :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Better not be, he's one of the best characters in it IMO. If he was killed by someone like a Stannis, maybe, but as you put it, the kill bill squad, no :mad:

A guy told me last night the song he was singing was called the Dornishmans wife and the bit Jamie stopped him from singing was all about a poisoned blade breaking the skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

golfball37 wrote: »
    A guy told me last night the song he was singing was called the Dornishmans wife and the bit Jamie stopped him from singing was all about a poisoned blade breaking the skin.

The full lyrics are here - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Dornishman%27s_Wife - I don't think there are any spoilers on that page but I take no responsibility if there are!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

loyatemu wrote: »
    Watch "Wolf Hall" -
    (spoilered for anyone who didn't pay attention during history class)

(also, seriously watch Wolf Hall, it's great.)

Certainly I think after watching Wolf Hall it makes me less tolerant of plot anomalies in GOT.

Wolf Hall shows how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Certainly I think after watching Wolf Hall it makes me less tolerant of plot anomalies in GOT.

Wolf Hall shows how it should be done.

though WH is also very very slow moving. I actually think this season's GoT is better than last season. Last season there were a lot of plots that seemed to go nowhere and were being needlessly dragged out; this year hasn't been actioned packed but the story is moving forward (except for Dorne which we could probably do without).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

jd007 wrote: »

Nailed it.

Reminds me of the bedlam over the Love/Hate cat. Another series where characters merrily maimed, murdered and raped each other and the greatest outrage it ever caused was over the simulated assassination of a bloody cat.
    Funny the things folk get sore about.

Forget the off-screen rape of Sansa, if Littlefinger kicks a spaniel in the next episode the internet will collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

DeadHand wrote: »
    Nailed it.

Reminds me of the bedlam over the Love/Hate cat. Another series where characters merrily maimed, murdered and raped each other and the greatest outrage it ever caused was over the simulated assassination of a bloody cat.
    Funny the things folk get sore about.

The same cat which ended up on The Late Late Show after :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

jd007 wrote: »
    The same cat which ended up on The Late Late Show after :pac:

A pathetic episode.

I heard grown adult men on the radio emotionally condemning the Love/Hate crew and the dangerous example they were setting.

Grown men, for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Also, the people of Kings Landing fecking love Queen Margeary - place could go ballistic with news of her arrest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

My guess is as soon as the tables are turned on Cersei she will unleash this new improved reboot of the Mountain for protection from the fanatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

My guess is as soon as the tables are turned on Cersei she will unleash this new improved reboot of the Mountain for protection from the fanatics.

Yeah that is a back story that's very interesting actually, I can't see where that's going

• Advertisement

We deserve nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

As long as the reboot Mountain doesnt come up against Ser Loras and win! Can tell this is going to a trial by combat and I don't want Ser Loras to be killed by the Mountain!

Jaime will get some surprise when he comes back, Kingslanding in chaos haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Reboot of the mountain? What am I missing? I know who "The Mountain" is, but not joining the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Reboot of the mountain? What am I missing? I know who "The Mountain" is, but not joining the dots.

Oberyn blades were poisoned when fighting The Mountain. It didn't look like he was going to survive but Qyburn has been working on him under Cersei's command....

Qyburn's "Oh no...." is ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I don't really get all the fuss over the 'rape' scene.
    Firstly, it wasn't rape. Sansa consented, she at no point said No - unless I missed that?

Yes he was rough with her but that was how women were treated then and it was hardly rocket science to know he wasn't going to be very gentle with her.

I wasn't disturbed by it in any way, it's GoT and I actually thought it was quite tame by their standards.

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Yeah that is a back story that's very interesting actually, I can't see where that's going
    We deserve nothing less.

Must say I was wondering myself what the bigger picture was with reviving the Mountain. Now that the Lannisters are on the back foot id imagine he will come in quite useful.
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    As long as the reboot Mountain doesnt come up against Ser Loras and win! Can tell this is going to a trial by combat and I don't want Ser Loras to be killed by the Mountain!

Jaime will get some surprise when he comes back, Kingslanding in chaos haha

Jamie would be best served staying away from Kings Landing. If the fanatics get wind he is Tommen's father he may be taking part in his very own trial by combat. He is safer in Dorne...they seem to be a fairer bunch to deal with.

Jamie would be best served staying away from Kings Landing. If the fanatics get wind he is Tommen's father he may be taking part in his very own trial by combat. He is safer in Dorne...they seem to be a fairer bunch to deal with.

I think it's safe to say tis the beginning of the end of Lannister rule of the Iron Throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Firstly, it wasn't rape. Sansa consented, she at no point said No - unless I missed that?

Yes he was rough with her but that was how women were treated then and it was hardly rocket science to know he wasn't going to be very gentle with her.

I wasn't disturbed by it in any way, it's GoT and I actually thought it was quite tame by their standards.

Not sure how having her clothes ripped off, being forcibly bent over and crying equates to "Sansa consented."

I wasn't outraged by the scene either, it was just horrible to watch from the point of view of liking Sansa as a character.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Oberyn blades were poisoned when fighting The Mountain. It didn't look like he was going to survive but Qyburn has been working on him under Cersei's command....

Qyburn's "Oh no...." is ominous.
    I think it's safe to say tis the beginning of the end of Lannister rule of the Iron Throne.

Yep, id say your right there. The brains of house Lannister died with Tywin and are on the run with Tyrion. Plus the fact that Tommen is such a likeable bloke, is omen enough that he won't last a wet day on the Throne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭bren2001

Can you explain to me at what point she consented? She has to actually consent, there is no default consent....

Advertisement