Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Not Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

xper wrote: »
    That's even worse. They went to the expense of setting up shop in an additional and geographically appropriate country and still we get Irish sand dunes. In fairness, the water gardens themselves do look fantastic.

Those water gardens are a government owned site in Seville and GOT is only the second TV show/film to be allowed to film there. They only had a week to get all the Dorne scenes filmed so I'm hoping that was why the fight scene looked so rushed and sloppy.

That doesn't excuse the writing though, like Wolverine359 pointed out, which was a bit too convenient. Hope it's not a sign to come of what the TV writers come up with when not following the book plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Really felt for poor Sansa, she seemed to have got a lot smarter this season so don't really understand why she agreed to marry Ramsey.

As for Theon trying to help, the torture (including the cutting off of his middle leg!) has broken him but I hope he will try to help Sansa escape.

Have to say the guy who plays Ramsey is a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Really felt for poor Sansa, she seemed to have got a lot smarter this season so don't really understand why she agreed to marry Ramsey.

As for Theon trying to help, the torture (including the cutting off of his middle leg!) has broken him but I hope he will try to help Sansa escape.

Have to say the guy who plays Ramsey is a good actor.

Iwan Rheon (my spelling might be a bit off ha) is some actor alright. A big change from Misfits character wise.

On the episode, I smell another trial by combat and if poor Margaery gets the chop s*** is going to hit the fan. Tommen needs to man up or he'll be in hot water too! Going to be a long week to wait but I don't imagine we'll see a trial until the 8 episode, I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I've said it before I'll say it again...where the hell is Gendry?? Havent seen him since he left on the little row boat have we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I think someone over on Reddit hit the nail on the head when they said that the Dorne scenes have a massive Xena Warrior Princess vibe to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I think someone over on Reddit hit the nail on the head when they said that the Dorne scenes have a massive Xena Warrior Princess vibe to them.

Yeah the whole thing just looks so cheap. So I'm hoping the budget is being saved for something EPIC in the last few episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Also, is this the only face that Keisha Castle-Hughes can make? That face and the accent really rags me.
    bSpXGo7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

On thronecast the actress playing one of the snakes joked that she was training for 6 months.

Must have been joking.
    That 2 min scene, comprising of about 60 edit points was piss poor.

I don't know whether it was stunties or the 3 actresses, but they couldn't fight.

Maybe I expect too much of 3 x 80lb teenagers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

Yeah, Dorne was as coincidental as a Scooby Doo episode trying to tie everything up nicely at the end.
    Funny seeing Jamie & Bronn in amongst the dunes, thought I see Rory McIroy pop up looking for his golf ball.
    Deep Space Nine guy (Prince of Dorne) made specific reference to his champion's prowess with his axe.
    I presume we'll see him & Bronn in action fairly soon.

I can't understand Jorah & the grayscale, does it mean that Mr. Eko's guys who punched him also have it & does that mean they'll give it to Tyrion should they touch him ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I quite enjoyed that show.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

The Sand Snakes are so boring. All talk but nothing really going on.

Loved the scene between Cersei and Olenna Tyrell. I think what's going to happen is Olenna is going to stop at nothing to bring down Cersei and I think she is going to be the catalyst in Cersei being put on trial for her incestuous relationship and the kids being born of incest and that is how Margaery and Loras will get out of prison. Tommen is so weak, bad and all as Joffrey was, I don't think he would've let anybody take Margaery away from him.

I'm getting concerned that we're going to lose Maisie Williams off the show when she starts to change faces.

The final scene with Sansa was so sad. I'm hoping that Roose Bolton will ride off to battle against the Lannisters, leaving Ramsey behind and Brienne, Pod, Sansa (and followers who remain loyal to the Starks) and Theon end up wreaking havoc on Winterfell and killing him in spectacular fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Not a bad episode last night, things seem to be escalating a bit more now with plenty of arrests and Jorah and Tyrion getting kidnapped (although personally sometimes I find these story lines somewhat frustrating because I want to see Tyrion infront of Daenerys ASAP and this could prolong that).

Also Ramsey Bolton has to be one of the most calmly unhinged, sadistic, psychopath's I've seen on tele and in fairness he is an excellent character and played very well by Iwan Rheon. I hope it's not just me but the weird thing is even though he consistently does horrible things he still doesn't come across as detestable as Joffrey or his mammy.

I love how Ramsey never even asked about his mother, Roose "You've never asked me about your mother", Ramsey "Why would I, she had me, she died, and here we are", brilliantly flippant and couldn't give a toss, I found it funny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

And now I have my new favourite quote

"The Dwarf lives until we find a Cock Merchant"

If Tyrion ever dies I will probably stop watching the show

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

I think the new series is getting boring. Its all potential collisions and possible outcomes.

What happened to someone wanting something so they get the sword out and try and get it.

Also did I miss something, why has Daenerys stopped in whatever place she is in now. She was marching to the iron throne and now is stuck in some place she doesn't seem to enjoy and has forgotten all about the iron throne. Also was she not called Kaleesi at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tomfla wrote: »
    Also did I miss something, why has Daenerys stopped in whatever place she is in now.

Danny has decided to live in a pyramid working in essentially a customer service roll.

I guess its a symptom of a writer clueless as to what he wants to do with a character.

Torpor is setting into several aspects of the show.
    I assume the author is too rich to give a sh*t about churning out quicker content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Tomfla wrote: »
    I think the new series is getting boring. Its all potential collisions and possible outcomes.

What happened to someone wanting something so they get the sword out and try and get it.

Also did I miss something, why has Daenerys stopped in whatever place she is in now. She was marching to the iron throne and now is stuck in some place she doesn't seem to enjoy and has forgotten all about the iron throne. Also was she not called Kaleesi at some point

Khaleesi is Dothraki for queen. It was her title, not her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

But they were going so well for so long and now this series its like all the people in charge have cleared off and let it to the more pretentious people on some chat forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

Stupid Question Time: Forgive me

When the lads were caught in the water gardens by Prince Dorans bodyguard, he recognised Jamie straight away. It has been said numerous times before that Jamie is one of the most recogniseable faces in westoros. How in the name of the many faced god, do people know what the kingslayer looks like considering there's no Photographs, facebook, etc....I've never even seen a portrait of anyone.

In a land which supposedly stretches thousands of miles from the North to Dorne, how does one know a Jamie lannister from a joe soap? I know he know has a golden stump on one hand now, but thats only 'knowledge' to everyone bar the boltons since the start of season 4.

Forgive me, but its the one thing that puzzles me about this show,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume a justifiably bad end is on the way for the Boltons - Ramsey probably at the hands of his beloved Reek, or Sansa; Roose possibly dispatched by Brienne who has a score to settle with him and is wandering around somewhere near Winterfell.

The scenes in Dorne by contrast are terrible - someone on the Guardian's recap suggested Jamie and Bronn looked like they were arriving from a Carry On film while the laughably overacting "Sand Snakes" seem to have wandered in from Xena: Warrior Princess. And they all managed to waltz into the royal palace grounds at the same time without encountering a single guard? I don't know if the Dorne plot has some longer term significance but at the moment it seems entirely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Can anyone tell me how The Faith have gained so much power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Stupid Question Time: Forgive me

When the lads were caught in the water gardens by Prince Dorans bodyguard, he recognised Jamie straight away. It has been said numerous times before that Jamie is one of the most recogniseable faces in westoros. How in the name of the many faced god, do people know what the kingslayer looks like considering there's no Photographs, facebook, etc....I've never even seen a portrait of anyone.

In a land which supposedly stretches thousands of miles from the North to Dorne, how does one know a Jamie lannister from a joe soap? I know he know has a golden stump on one hand now, but thats only 'knowledge' to everyone bar the boltons since the start of season 4.

Forgive me, but its the one thing that puzzles me about this show,

Paintings of him of course. He was head of the Baratheons Kings Guard, Hand of the King and would have attended many functions indifferent kingdoms as you see the Tyrells of Wintergarden in Kings Landing, Starks in Kings Landing, Boltons in Winterfell etc etc. Eligible bachelor aswell of course. Im sure most of the families would have tried to marry him to a daughter of theirs to try make some sort of partnership with the Lannisters and their army

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ghogie91 wrote: »

Cersei gave the authority to the High Sparrow to arm his followers and "clean up" Kings Landing, presumably with the intention of damaging Margaery and the Tyrells but it's probably going to backfire on her, because she's a vindictive idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As described above. But it seems a bit unbelievable that this cult went from nothing to the greatest power in the city in the space of a couple of episodes.

I've seen people on another forum claim that the TV series has gotten worse as it's diverged from the books and that's beginning to worry me. I thought this episode the best of a fairly dull season so far so hopefully the tension will continue to ramp up for the last four episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Paintings of him of course. He was head of the Baratheons Kings Guard, Hand of the King and would have attended many functions indifferent kingdoms as you see the Tyrells of Wintergarden in Kings Landing, Starks in Kings Landing, Boltons in Winterfell etc etc. Eligible bachelor aswell of course. Im sure most of the families would have tried to marry him to a daughter of theirs to try make some sort of partnership with the Lannisters and their army
    Not to mention appearances in many tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I think they really are trying to fit in too much into 10 episodes, they really needed to push it to 13 imho

As described above. But it seems a bit unbelievable that this cult went from nothing to the greatest power in the city in the space of a couple of episodes.

I've seen people on another forum claim that the TV series has gotten worse as it's diverged from the books and that's beginning to worry me. I thought this episode the best of a fairly dull season so far so hopefully the tension will continue to ramp up for the last four episodes.

We don't know much about the cult though, plus GOT is set in a place where people would have great fear and respect for religion and with the Queen mother's backing they could gain control very quickly. Anyway I tend to be pretty blasé about these things, it is all fictional at the end of the day.

I agree with the second part though, I thought some of the previous few episodes were a little lacking, but the story is moving along better now and tensions are really starting to escalate so the next few episodes should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

What I liked about it last night was the assumption that [I made anyway] Arya was lying when she said she hated the hound.

Tyrion and Jorah scenes are very good, Jorah is going to be like Russell Crowe re-uniting with his emperor through the medium of fighting.

Funnily enough I didn't take the last scene to be a rape at all. Its only reading the reaction today that I saw it as such. Bedding ceremonies were common in medieval times and in GOT universe, if the bride acceded to the marriage she acceded to sex with her husband was my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

golfball37 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I didn't take the last scene to be a rape at all. Its only reading the reaction today that I saw it as such. Bedding ceremonies were common in medieval times and in GOT universe, if the bride acceded to the marriage she acceded to sex with her husband was my understanding.

Tricky business this. Although she had agreed to the marriage (and subsequent sex), the manner of the bedding, especially Reek's presence, had all the trappings of rape. It was certainly an abusive act.

I was kinda hoping Sansa would stand up to him e.g. "I am your wife and equal now, a Stark etc etc" and demand his respect, stopping him in his tracks, but alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I was kinda hoping Sansa would stand up to him e.g. "I am your wife and equal now, a Stark etc etc" and demand his respect, stopping him in his tracks, but alas...

Nah, sure Ramsey would have knocked her block off.

No, she'll be lighting that candle and placing it in the tallest tower soon I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Just watched it. Good episode apart from Dorne but everyone has already gone through that. Thought the game of faces business is done too quickly, that could have been interesting.

It's a bit gas some people saying Ramsey has just become the most evil character considering he did much worse to aul Theon. Ramsey is definitely the most interesting character and story line for me, so I'm hoping it takes a while to kill him off. That and the Sparrow business.

It seems to be trying to make Tyrion and Jorah the next buddy team, but there's something uninteresting about it despite Tyrion being one of my favourite characters

• Advertisement

I had to laugh at some of the online reaction to last night's rape scene, I mean first off has nobody told them that this isn't actually real and second off have they never watched any of the previous seasons??? Now I've never been 'offended' or 'outraged' by GOT but I have to laugh at some of the people only coming out now saying that GOT has 'crossed the line' and 'they're never watching again'.

Apparently people's heads getting melted, heads chopped off, people getting burned alive, a previous rape scene, poisonings and tits, gee and cock by the bucket full etc etc were all fine 'BUT YESTERDAY, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE!!!' :-)

Advertisement