Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Can anyone tell me what the p value is in stats? Also any resources for learning about mean mode and median with relation to graphs? The books don't do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Kremin wrote: »
    nope only 11, 12, 13

Are you sure because I heard that they changed Q6 on the paper there will be no 6A or 6B and that there was more theorems on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the p value is in stats?

The way I understand it is that the p value is the probability of getting a result as extreme as the one which you just got.

If it is less than 0.05, it would be very unlikely to get such a result, so the hypothesis is rejected.

If it is more than 0.05, it wouldn't be such an unusual result, so the hypothesis is accepted.

It is calculated by converting the result to a z score, finding probability in tables book (ignoring minus if there is one), taking away z score from 1, and doubling your answer. Draw a picture and it should make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anera

Hi all,
    Anyone know how to do higher level 2014 LC paper 2 question 4 part b(i), (how to fill the table)???
    i did not understand the answer in the marking scheme, please help ASAP. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

anera wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anyone know how to do higher level LC paper 2 question 4 part b(i), (how to fill the table)???
    i did not understand the answer in the marking scheme, please help ASAP. thank you

year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

anera wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anyone know how to do higher level LC paper 2 question 4 part b(i), (how to fill the table)???

You have to use the graph above. You don't sub in any values into your calculator.

t1 = 156. look at the graph, and the first dotted line going upwards. That is t1. It hits the function line at 156 therefore t1 = 156.

t2= 269. same again, look at graph, the 2nd dotted line hits the function line at 269.

t3= 311. same again.. the 3rd dotted line hits the function line at 311.

for t=4, you need to realize that the 4th dotted line hits the function line at the same point as t=2, therefore it is 269.

t=5, you need to see the dotted line hits the line at the same point as t=1. Keep doing this for every value, even the negatives ones. The line is consistent. The dotted line only hits the line at 156, 269, 311, 0, -156, -269, -311.

Has anyone got any speculation into the difficulty of P2? I have a feeling that paper one wasn't so bad they're going to make paper two more challenging?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

sdio wrote: »
    The way I understand it is that the p value is the probability of getting a result as extreme as the one which you just got.

If it is less than 0.05, it would be very unlikely to get such a result, so the hypothesis is rejected.

If it is more than 0.05, it wouldn't be such an unusual result, so the hypothesis is accepted.

It is calculated by converting the result to a z score, finding probability in tables book (ignoring minus if there is one), taking away z score from 1, and doubling your answer. Draw a picture and it should make sense!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

simplyno1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any speculation into the difficulty of P2? I have a feeling that paper one wasn't so bad they're going to make paper two more challenging?

I can't see them doing that. However it's the first year Inferential Stats is examinable along with no longer having an option on 6 so they could throw something odd in there.

They may throw Paper 1 topics into this paper just like how they threw some Paper 2 topics into Q7 on Paper 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I'd reckon they've made both papers easier this year due to the record number of students taking higher level. Obviously not all of them are able for it, and they can't have loads failing as it must fit the bell curve. It makes more sense for them to make the exam easier instead of having to recorrect all the exams or drastically changing the marking scheme. That's just my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

Troxck wrote: »
    I can't see them doing that. However it's the first year Inferential Stats is examinable along with no longer having an option on 6 so they could throw something odd in there.

They may throw Paper 1 topics into this paper just like how they threw some Paper 2 topics into Q7 on Paper 1!

Yeah I can't wait for a nice long statistics question.
    Magnate wrote: »
    I'd reckon they've made both papers easier this year due to the record number of students taking higher level. Obviously not all of them are able for it, and they can't have loads failing as it must fit the bell curve. It makes more sense for them to make the exam easier instead of having to recorrect all the exams or drastically changing the marking scheme. That's just my guess anyway.

Yeah that may be true, but that'd mean each year the exams will just have to keep getting easier and easier.

If they do put a theorem on paper 2, will it cover all of the question 6? I hate doing paper 2 question 6, really don't like having to come up with proofs on the spot, so it would be great if the theorem took up that whole question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Yeah that may be true, but that'd mean each year the exams will just have to keep getting easier and easier.

If they do put a theorem on paper 2, will it cover all of the question 6? I hate doing paper 2 question 6, really don't like having to come up with proofs on the spot, so it would be great if the theorem took up that whole question.

Might be something to do with the proposed grade-band deflation :rolleyes:

A theorem is usually 10 or 15 marks I don't remember but I don't think it's the full 25 marks. I think we could see proof by contradiction make an appearance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

A nice long Trig question would be lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Which would be the best mock exam to do to prepare for paper 2
    Examcraft or DEB?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

I'm not sure what the name of it is but can the question where you have to prove a number like root 3 or 2 is irrational come up on paper 2 or is it paper 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

I'm not sure what the name of it is but can the question where you have to prove a number like root 3 or 2 is irrational come up on paper 2 or is it paper 1??

Normally Paper 1 but you wouldn't know, it may appear on paper 2. It's a 'Proof by Contradiction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

I hope the paper is based on mainly trigonometry like paper 1was based mostly on differentiation/integration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I hope the paper is based on mainly trigonometry like paper 1was based mostly on differentiation/integration

I do too but I have a feeling it will be more focussed on Probability and that part of the course...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dkey

I totaly failed paper 1 I found it impossible and probably will get around 10-15% on it or maybe even less, as English is not my native language I have problems with understanding of the questions, because of that I have to pass with at least 60% paper 2, so If anyone would be so nice and tell me all types of theorms, constructions, and other type of stuff we have to know for monday I would be very thankful. And 1 other thing, I found this syllabus on internet and there is stuff like "Definition 44. The incircle of a triangle is the circle that lies inside the
    triangle and is tangent to each side (see Figure 30). Its centre is the incentre,
    and its radius is the inradius." do we have to learn every single one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

stats and coordinate geomrety should be fine :) whats the bets they are going to give us some mindf**k of a probability and trig question, the funny thing is that the syallabus on those 2 topics are so limited, but they always find a way to make in wild. I wonder how geometry is going to pop up, apart from proofs and definations that is. Cant imagine a 25 marker being enlargments or provve 2 traingles are congruent/similar

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

RoRo979 wrote: »
    stats and coordinate geomrety should be fine :) whats the bets they are going to give us some mindf**k of a probability and trig question, the funny thing is that the syallabus on those 2 topics are so limited, but they always find a way to make in wild. I wonder how geometry is going to pop up, apart from proofs and definations that is. Cant imagine a 25 marker being enlargments or provve 2 traingles are congruent/similar

I dont see how it could be a mindf**k probability question. Generally it will just be a bernoulli trials one or z-scores which are easy once you get your head around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

I'm really hoping for a 50 marker on inferential statistics

Which would be the best mock exam to do to prepare for paper 2
    Examcraft or DEB?

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Well I think a theorem that's not on the course came up in the examcraft mock. The DEB mock was probably harder as well so I'd say you'd be better doing the DEB one.

This is a long shot but does anyone happen to have the 2015 DEB marking scheme ?

fin709 wrote: »
    I dont see how it could be a mindf**k probability question. Generally it will just be a bernoulli trials one or z-scores which are easy once you get your head around it

ye but sure i thought the same for trig, sine,cosine and soh cah toa is all you can really use. Go through papers and id be surprised if you can do all the questions.

I wouldn't do either. Papers are a great way to prepare in the weeks coming up to an exam. Doing alot of Papers prepares loads of different types of questions over a period of time. But I wouldn't see the benefit of picking one Paper to do today as there would be so much stuff you would leave out.

Depending on your text book I would go to the revision section of each Paper 2 chapter and pick out 5 or 6 questions on each. For example go to the circle questions and find the equation of a circle given:
    3 points
    2 points and the line containing the center
    2 points and a tangent to the circle at a given point etc

I would also make sure you know your 3 Geometry Theorems, 8 Trigonometric Proofs, 22 Constructions (esp 16-22), Definitions, Types of Sample, Probability formula (for conditional, independence etc)

Oh but if you do decide to do the DEB paper I have a marking scheme...unfortunately it's a printed copy, but if there is something in particular give me a shout I'll try and post it.....but I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

skippy1977 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do either. Papers are a great way to prepare in the weeks coming up to an exam. Doing alot of Papers prepares loads of different types of questions over a period of time. But I wouldn't see the benefit of picking one Paper to do today as there would be so much stuff you would leave out.

Depending on your text book I would go to the revision section of each Paper 2 chapter and pick out 5 or 6 questions on each. For example go to the circle questions and find the equation of a circle given:
    3 points
    2 points and the line containing the center
    2 points and a tangent to the circle at a given point etc

I would also make sure you know your 3 Geometry Theorems, 8 Trigonometric Proofs, 22 Constructions (esp 16-22), Definitions, Types of Sample, Probability formula (for conditional, independence etc)

Oh but if you do decide to do the DEB paper I have a marking scheme...unfortunately it's a printed copy, but if there is something in particular give me a shout I'll try and post it.....but I wouldn't do it.

How would you get the equation of a circle given 2 points and a tangent to the circle btw? I know how to do it if its a tangent from an axis but not from a line?

Would it be correct to first put the two points into the general equation x^2+y^2+2gx+2fx+c=0 and then find the distance between (-g,-f) to the line which is the radius?

How would you get the equation of a circle given 2 points and a tangent to the circle btw? I know how to do it if its a tangent from an axis but not from a line?

ive never done this question before and just writing it out of my head,

so youll have 2 equations for the two points given.
    Find the midpoint of those 2 points and the perpindicular slope. Make that into an equation and now you have an equation for a line which contains the centre.

sub -g,-f into that equation and you now have 3 equations for the circle.

However this way doesnt even use the tangent so there must be an easier way.

Would it be correct to first put the two points into the general equation x^2+y^2+2gx+2fx+c=0 and then find the distance between (-g,-f) to the line which is the radius?

I may have phrased it badly...so here's an example if people want to have a go and i'll pop up the solution in a bit.

Find the equation of the circle which passes through the points a(-3,-2) and b(0,-1) and where the line 2x-y+4=0 is a tangent at the point (-3,-2)

• Advertisement

skippy1977 wrote: »
    I may have phrased it badly...so here's an example if people want to have a go and i'll pop up the solution in a bit.

Find the equation of the circle which passes through the points a(-3,-2) and b(0,-1) and where the line 2x-y+4=0 is a tangent at the point (-3,-2)

I think giving the point of the tangent may even be a bit generous. More likely question imo is what is the equation of the circle and where does the tangent intersect the line or something along those line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement