Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Magnate wrote: »
    You're thinking of binomial distribution, that's slightly different.

Paper 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Broseph wrote: »
    Paper 2?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Anyone have any pretty complex maths equations? Wouldn't mind scaring myself before tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

can someone simplify the proof of de moivres theorem? even just a few basic steps for attempt marks....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

oktplz wrote: »
    Anyone have any pretty complex maths equations? Wouldn't mind scaring myself before tomorrow :)

How about this....the kind of question that would throw people on the day.

Picture1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

hope maths paper one is easy like the previous years

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

can someone simplify the proof of de moivres theorem? even just a few basic steps for attempt marks....

By induction?

It's just like any other proofs by induction. Have a look at this. It's only 5 or 6 lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

oktplz wrote: »

Haha do you want complex complex equations or just complex equations, or do you want complex equations?

One that haunted me for Geometric series was one from the book. I tried it there and it finally worked out!

The sum to infinity of a geometric progression is 16 and the sum of the first four terms ie 15. Find the first four terms. Note: there are two possible series.

(Pg 257 ex 9.6)

Another one that proved a challenge was a proof by induction:

Prove that, I don't know how I'll write this. It's page 293 11.2 question 12.

The sum of (1/R*2-1) = 3/4 - [2n + 1]/2n(N+1)]

N is greater than 2, qnd element of natural number.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

skippy1977 wrote: »

Picture1.png

That question honestly isn't even that hard, it just looks ridiculously hard.

Picture1.png

Does it matter if I don't take heed of the w squared and find the roots nonetheless? I just drew a circle and found roots and they added to cancel.

Then for part two, if the first part is zero, then would it to the power of five also be zero? Or am I missing something in this question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Is it true that the mocks are harder than the real? We had the Examcraft paper, but we didn't do the financial maths question because he hadn't covered it in class yet & I passed by one percent, I wasn't expecting a D1...Was aiming for a C3 at least :/ Hoping a long question on financial maths comes up tomorrow to up my grade now!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Does it matter if I don't take heed of the w squared and find the roots nonetheless? I just drew a circle and found roots and they added to cancel.

Then for part two, if the first part is zero, then would it to the power of five also be zero? Or am I missing something in this question?

This question was in my book and it was like prove the other root is w^2, whats interesting is that w and w squared are actually just the conjugate of eachother which is a rule for complex numbers ofc.

2nd part can be done without any knowledge of complex numbers.
    If 1+w+w^2=0
    then (w+w^2)=-1
    so (1-w-w^2)^5=(1-(w+w^2))^5
    =(1-(-1))^5
    =(2)^5
    =32

As Kremin said, it looks harder that it is...but remember that will be the case with a lot of the questions tomorrow. People know the stuff (or a lot of it) but at Higher Level it gets asked in a more complicated manner.

Kremin wrote: »
    This question was in my book and it was like prove the other root is w^2, whats interesting is that w and w squared are actually just the conjugate of eachother which is a rule for complex numbers ofc.

That is quite interesting, something that I should be taught about the day before maths paper one!
    2nd part can be done without any knowledge of complex numbers.
    If 1+w+w^2=0
    then (w+w^2)=-1
    so (1-w-w^2)^5=(1-(w+w^2))^5
    =(1-(-1))^5
    =(2)^5
    =32

As Kremin said, it looks harder that it is...but remember that will be the case with a lot of the questions tomorrow. People know the stuff (or a lot of it) but at Higher Level it gets asked in a more complicated manner.

Lol my mind did a miny blow up as two different approaches lead to different results! That makes sense, thanks! Just a little confusing overall that something equal to zero squared can be re-arranged not to. I suppose, never be too casual about approaching complex numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

For the first part of that do you say they must equal to zero as they are all confirmed roots of the z^3 -1 sum yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Can somebody go through the formula that need to be learnt off again as there not in the log book just want to make sure!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Can somebody go through the formula that need to be learnt off again as there not in the log book just want to make sure!?

The only one I can t hink of is the f(x)_lim h>x (x+h)^2 +(x+h)/h

• Registered Users Posts: 25 YouKnowNothing

Any body have any idea of this one?
    " use de moivres theorem to solve for three roots of unity, 1, w, w^2
    Hence throw show that the sum of these three roots is zero
    Z= -2 + root5 i "
    It's edco sample E question 2b

Any body have any idea of this one?
    " use de moivres theorem to solve for three roots of unity, 1, w, w^2
    Hence throw show that the sum of these three roots is zero
    Z= -2 + root5 i "
    It's edco sample E question 2b

The z you have written is from (a) part and not part of the (b) question.

unity.jpg

ahh I was wondering...
    Where does z^3 -1 come from?

• Advertisement

ahh I was wondering...
    Where does z^3 -1 come from?

So this is not something that can be made up most likely on the day. The syllabus has it that students need to be able to find the roots of unity.
    What are the complex numbers that when cubed give 1 (unity).
    So we write that equation z^3=1 and try and find the complex number z that when cubed gives one.

So if they ask about roots of unity in the exam...start with z^3=1
    1 is the same as saying 1+0i....so put this on an Argand Diagram and express in polar form. Then apply de moivre's to get the cubed roots as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Average value of a function. I think that's it?

Thanks! I'd just never heard if unity being one?!

Thanks! I'd just never heard if unity being one?!

No problem. Best of luck today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

any statistics or any other definitions that could be asked for p1?
    Or should i leave them for the weekend for p2?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Good luck everyone! Here's hoping I pass, the one exam I'm really worried about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Howdy guys.

I'll be doing all papers this evening and Monday evening HL and OL. Now, I wouldn't recommend talking about the exam after its finished (especially looking for answers) but if you are desperate to know the answers to any of the questions then pop them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

All the theorem proofs are on paper two arn't they? I'm so worried something from paper two will come up that I haven't revised :P

And are trigonometric proofs on paper two also?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

AlfaJack wrote: »
    And are trigonometric proofs on paper two also?

Yes on both. P2 only, though they may try to confuse you and include some little part. But mostly, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Ugh I feel sick, really dreading this one :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement