Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Magnate wrote: »
    Ugh I feel sick, really dreading this one :(

How'd you do in your pre and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Quarks wrote: »
    How'd you do in your pre and stuff?

Failed the DEB mock but then did a second one and went up to a B, so I should pass at least anyway. It just feels like I've forgotten a lot of what I learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I was nominated....

annnnd once again, to clarify, can only theorem 11, 12 and 13 be asked to be formally proved in question 6?

I would say yes but I'm not 100% certain. 11, 12 and 13 are the only theorems in my revision book that have full proofs done out so I'd assume so. I'm more worried about the trig ones, don't know them at all.

I would say yes but I'm not 100% certain. 11, 12 and 13 are the only theorems in my revision book that have full proofs done out so I'd assume so. I'm more worried about the trig ones, don't know them at all.

The syllabus says only 11, 12, 13 but all theorems are in my books... cant wait to open the exam and see PROVE PYTHA..... FFFFUUUUUUUUUU

That proof is actually my favourite and the only one I can remember, so maybe I'd actually like that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Anyone have a list of what has to be learned/proofed/derived for paper 2?

I have a sheet with:
    -Theorems 11, 12, 13
    - Derivations of certain trig formulae, 1-7, 8
    - Constructions 16-22
    - Statistics sample types
    - Geometry terms - axiom, corollary etc

That it?

Anyone have a list of what has to be learned/proofed/derived for paper 2?

I have a sheet with:
    -Theorems 11, 12, 13
    - Derivations of certain trig formulae, 1-7, 8
    - Constructions 16-22
    - Statistics sample types
    - Geometry terms - axiom, corollary etc

That it?

I believe so, nothing else I can think of off the top of my head.

is the sine and cosine rule proof included in thet trig formulae?
    You need to be able to prove sine rule by the areas of the triangle too, it came up one year.. really not too hard

Oh only 16-22 for the constructions, that's not too bad I thought it was all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Oh only 16-22 for the constructions, that's not too bad I thought it was all of them.

You're expected to know the rest of them from junior cert, they're piss anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KatieGhomie

Sorry to comment here as I am not a higher level maths student,just wondering will admissions be making a ordinary level paper two predictions thread..I am new to boards and don't know how to make a thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sorry to comment here as I am not a higher level maths student,just wondering will admissions be making a ordinary level paper two predictions thread..I am new to boards and don't know how to make a thread

Looks like we have another volunteer :D

Go to the Leaving Cert forum (where this and the OL Maths P1 thread are) and if you're on a phone/tablet click 'Post' to start a new thread. If you're on a computer, click 'New Thread'. Give it a title and a brief opening post and click 'Create'/'Submit'

Edit: Looks like someone else already did. Here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lala0815

Hopefully it will just as doable as paper 1 ,usually i find paper 2 to be easier,inferial statistics will most likely come up as it is new this year

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

lala0815 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will just as doable as paper 1 ,usually i find paper 2 to be easier,inferial statistics will most likely come up as it is new this year

i actually found p1 tough :( section A i think i got maybe 110 or 120/150 but on section B it all depends on the attempt marks, could range from 50-120/150 :)

right so apart from the theory what is the key stuff we should know?

stats: mean,mode,median - Interquartile range - P-values- Hypothesis testing - P-values - mean/population proportion

prob: expected value - hmm cant even think of the rest

co-ordinate geometry: circle in terms of gfc - circle touch x/y axis - tangent from point off circle - common tangent between 2 circlew - points of intersection - angle of lines - dividing a line into segments

geometry: translation - proving angles are similar - cyclic quadrilatereals

trig: cosine rule - sine rule - sine/cos waves -

what else is the key stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

RoRo979 wrote: »
    i actually found p1 tough :( section A i think i got maybe 110 or 120/150 but on section B it all depends on the attempt marks, could range from 50-120/150 :)

right so apart from the theory what is the key stuff we should know?

stats: mean,mode,median - Interquartile range - P-values- Hypothesis testing - P-values - mean/population proportion

prob: expected value - hmm cant even think of the rest

co-ordinate geometry: circle in terms of gfc - circle touch x/y axis - tangent from point off circle - common tangent between 2 circlew - points of intersection - angle of lines - dividing a line into segments

geometry: translation - proving angles are similar - cyclic quadrilatereals

trig: cosine rule - sine rule - sine/cos waves -

what else is the key stuff?

For Probability throw in:
    Mutually Exclusive
    AND/OR events
    Independence
    Arrangements
    Combinations
    Conditional Probability
    Bernoulli Trials
    z-scores

skippy1977 wrote: »
    For Probability throw in:
    Mutually Exclusive
    AND/OR events
    Independence
    Arrangements
    Combinations
    Conditional Probability
    Bernoulli Trials
    z-scores

know how to prove if events are independant or not, i.e is P(A).P(B)=P(AnB) or P(A|B)

i really have to revise probability lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Kremin wrote: »
    know how to prove if events are independant or not, i.e is P(A).P(B)=P(AnB) or P(A|B)

i really have to revise probability lol.

same hence the list :) plan on just bricking through these topics and irish over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shamjam96

Does proof by contradiction come up in this paper?

shamjam96 wrote: »
    Does proof by contradiction come up in this paper?

Proof by contradiction is in book 1, but again, they don't HAVE TO constrict book 1 material to paper 1..... i've seen proof by contradiction on q6 as the proof so yeah, it could come up

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Could a formal proof of any of the theorems other than 11,12 & 13 come up? (like on one of the mocks - exam craft I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dragos

I did bad in paper 1 as i wasn't expecting those stuff to come up.. What are people predicting in paper 2? i saw the predictions on this forum were very accurate. I need about 200 points to pass Higher level maths. So does anyone have any ideas what will come up? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone have a list of Stats/Probability definitions we need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

dragos wrote: »
    I did bad in paper 1 as i wasn't expecting those stuff to come up.. What are people predicting in paper 2? i saw the predictions on this forum were very accurate. I need about 200 points to pass Higher level maths. So does anyone have any ideas what will come up? Thanks :)

Hypothesis testing will probably make an appearance. Have a look at the 2015 sample papers, they're likely to be indicative of the type of question that will come up. You can find them here - www.themathstutor.ie/official-marking-schemes.html

Along with that I'd expect bernoulli triads in probability. Hopefully there'll be a theorem and construction too.

Fiona G wrote: »
    Hypothesis testing will probably make an appearance. Have a look at the 2015 sample papers, they're likely to be indicative of the type of question that will come up. You can find them here - www.themathstutor.ie/official-marking-schemes.html

Along with that I'd expect bernoulli triads in probability. Hopefully there'll be a theorem and construction too.

I dont understand the new sampling stuff at all, why don't we use 1/rootn anymore? why is it 1.96sigma/rootn now? :l and wtf is p(1-p) or whatever.. oh god im so ****ed if this comes up lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dragos

Thanks Fiona, They are so hard though...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Does anyone have a link to all theorems we need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joe1212121

Could anyone please tell me which constructions we must Learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Do we need to be able to prove Pythagoras' theorem??

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    Do we need to be able to prove Pythagoras' theorem??

nope only 11, 12, 13

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Do you have to be able to derive all 24 trig formulae or what number is it up too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

OMGeary wrote: »
    Do you have to be able to derive all 24 trig formulae or what number is it up too

You have to be able to derive the following 1 to 7 and 9.

8 altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement