Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options
  • 26-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Maths
    - inferential stats seeing as it's the first time they are examinable
    - one of the theorems hasn't come up, so whichever one that is, I can't remember

All conjecture, I know someone who writes the exams and the general guidelines for "predictions" is don't do them obviously, but if you're going to, don't look so much at "patterns" but at 1. what was answered terribly at OL, they then ask it at HL because they suspect the teachers aren't teaching it well (same for what was answered badly last year on HL) and 2. have a gander at the chief examiner's report if you were lucky enough to do a subject that got one last year, they're usually pretty indicative of what they'll ask again

Again, all conjecture, have a bit of cop on and don't leave yourself bare anywhere! best of luck to everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

kcull wrote: »
    Maths
    - inferential stats seeing as it's the first time they are examinable
    - one of the theorems hasn't come up, so whichever one that is, I can't remember

Again, all conjecture, have a bit of cop on and don't leave yourself bare anywhere! best of luck to everyone

Hey, is there anything else that is being examined in maths this year that hasnt been in previous? I remember someone saying new content was added this year that our books didn't have but we definitely have the inferential statistics like hypothesis testing, empirical rule etc.

I'd love if that came up as a long question on P2, very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcull

Kremin wrote: »
    Hey, is there anything else that is being examined in maths this year that hasnt been in previous? I remember someone saying new content was added this year that our books didn't have but we definitely have the inferential statistics like hypothesis testing, empirical rule etc.

I'd love if that came up as a long question on P2, very easy.
    there certainly is, in fact theres an entire supplement that isnt in the book of stuff examinable from 2015. i think your teacher has to order the supplement from folens. looking at it now it has

1. binomial expansions (probability)
    2. sampling dist of the mean
    3. Confidence interval
    4. estimation of population proportion
    5. confidence interval for a proportion
    6. hypothesis testing
    7. components of a formal hypothesis test
    8. p-values 9. rotations (enlargements).

my teacher said the stuff in the book that currently covers all of the above is now just OL material. thats all the info i have!

there certainly is, in fact theres an entire supplement that isnt in the book of stuff examinable from 2015. i think your teacher has to order the supplement from folens. looking at it now it has 1. binomial expansions (probability) 2. sampling dist of the mean 3.
    Confidence interval 4. estimation of population proportion 5. confidence interval for a proportion 6. hypothesis testing 7. components of a formal hypothesis test 8. p-values 9. rotations (enlargements). my teacher said the stuff in the book that currently covers all of the above is now just OL material. thats all the info i have!

Interesting, we have all that in our book but for hypothesis testing its basically find margin of error, get confidence interval... etc but when i checked an answer on examit.ie it was using like sqrt npq +/- standard deviation or something. No mention of it in our books...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcull

Interesting, we have all that in our book but for hypothesis testing its basically find margin of error, get confidence interval... etc but when i checked an answer on examit.ie it was using like sqrt npq +/- standard deviation or something. No mention of it in our books...

yes thats in the new supplement. get on to your teacher about it or take matters into your own hands and email Folens! its free afaik. all the stuff is real easy in it, but of course the trick is knowing it actually exists! it wasnt publicised or advertised that new stuff was examinable so the teachers who dont go to every single conference (95%) didnt know about it really. ours only heard by chance in december. also another change is that up til now theres always been a choice in geometry P2 between 6a and 6b but theyre getting rid of that this year and there wont be a choice anymore.

yes thats in the new supplement. get on to your teacher about it or take matters into your own hands and email Folens! its free afaik. all the stuff is real easy in it, but of course the trick is knowing it actually exists! it wasnt publicised or advertised that new stuff was examinable so the teachers who dont go to every single conference (95%) didnt know about it really. ours only heard by chance in december. also another change is that up til now theres always been a choice in geometry P2 between 6a and 6b but theyre getting rid of that this year and there wont be a choice anymore.

I knew about the choice, great -____-.
    It really sucks with maths that people capable of getting A's might not get them due to not knowing that a part of the course exists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I knew about the choice, great -____-.
    It really sucks with maths that people capable of getting A's might not get them due to not knowing that a part of the course exists.

As I keep saying, it is what is on the syllabus is important,not what is in textbooks.

spurious wrote: »
    As I keep saying, it is what is on the syllabus is important,not what is in textbooks.

Is there anywhere i can get a list of the syllabus? Also is there somewhere you can download sample papers or get the 2015 sec sample paper? Theres one for 2014, 2013, 2012 but I can't find one for 2015.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

https://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma

That page also has links to various circulars about changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BuckleyX7

Folens will post it out to you for free if you email them. I emailed them last night and they're sending it out to me free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

bernoulli and z-scores also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Amortisation schedule for maths

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Hypothesis testing, test statistics, p-values etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 markysull123

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some of the HL Maths stuff gathered together on one thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For logs, can someone explain what value does 'd' become for the change of Base formula?

Log3^4 = Logd4/Logd3

I can't wrap my mind around d. No book or website clearly explains what d is...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

For logs, can someone explain what value does 'd' become for the change of Base formula?

Log3^4 = Logd4/Logd3

I can't wrap my mind around d. No book or website clearly explains what d is...

It's the change of base formula, you tell me what you want to change it to :p

Usually people use it to change logs with non-standard bases to standard log bases of 10 or e. It explains it pretty well here.

Nim wrote: »
    It's the change of base formula, you tell me what you want to change it to :p

Usually people use it to change logs with non-standard bases to standard log bases of 10 or e. It explains it pretty well here.

Oh okay, but you'd still get the same answer if d was x or y?

That's really handy! Didn't know we got to pick the Base... I'm so dim :p

Can someone show me how to do this question?

The BOTB answer is x = 1/8, but I got x^2=1/8

How do I get rid of the ^2???

I tried to use the division rule by switching the x^2 but they have different bases..

Q29

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

If you express each of the equations in terms of y, and the let them equal each other.
    unnamed.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 owenoneill

Im still unsure about which proofs and theorems we need to know. I can't find a full list anywhere... I know we have the trigonometry ones, but do we have to prove De Moivre's Theorem and others too? All help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

owenoneill wrote: »
    Im still unsure about which proofs and theorems we need to know. I can't find a full list anywhere... I know we have the trigonometry ones, but do we have to prove De Moivre's Theorem and others too? All help appreciated.

De Moivre's theorem needs to be proved, there's a couple of other ones too. Amortisation formula, infinite geometric series summation formula (Really short), the regular geometry proofs and constructions, trig proofs (Compound angle stuff and sine/cosine rules etc). Run through your book and look for each derivation

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Just a short question, is it true than in the maths exam, you can attempt a single question how many times you want ? Like, let's say you are doing a statistics question and when you get the z-score you don't know whether you have to take it away from 1 or not, can you do the question :

1st time: not taking 1 away, proceeding, getting an answer,

2nd time: drawing a line under, and this time taking away the 1, and getting an answer..

Do you have to specify which is your final/most confident answer? If you 'start' the question again, do you have to do every step, or can you just move to the part where you worked out in the previous try and where you got stuck?

Ps. this is for higher level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

For anyone who isn't sure what they have to know, Look up the the syllabus for Leaving Cert 2015 on the NCCA website. Yes de Moivre's theorem can be asked to be proven using induction, which I think may be likely to come up this year.

Proof for DeMoivre's theorem isn't even that bad.. just practice it once or twice to know the best method to show it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Do we have to prove theorems 4,6,9,14 and 19 (Junior Cert theorems) or is it just 11,12 and 13 we need to prove? I'm fairly sure I know we don't, but I want to be 100% confident going into the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Do we have to prove theorems 4,6,9,14 and 19 (Junior Cert theorems) or is it just 11,12 and 13 we need to prove? I'm fairly sure I know we don't, but I want to be 100% confident going into the exams!

Just 11,12,13

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Just 11,12,13

Are you sure, my teacher said the HL junior cert ones can be asked too ???

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

It's a bit vague this. The syllabus says "prove theorems 11,12,13". The question I suppose is whether material that has been prescribed for the JC is still examinable.
    Constructions 16 to 22 are the only ones mentioned on the LC HL Syllabus but we would have to assume that constructions 1 to 15 need to be known (which are prescribed at JC HL).

One of the mock companies asked Theorem 19 earlier in the year.

I would look over them in case....4,6,9 are very easy. 19 is straight forward with only Pythagoras (no 14) being a bit more time consuming to learn.

Having said that I think there would be uproar if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Just a short question, is it true than in the maths exam, you can attempt a single question how many times you want ? Like, let's say you are doing a statistics question and when you get the z-score you don't know whether you have to take it away from 1 or not, can you do the question :

1st time: not taking 1 away, proceeding, getting an answer,

2nd time: drawing a line under, and this time taking away the 1, and getting an answer..

Do you have to specify which is your final/most confident answer? If you 'start' the question again, do you have to do every step, or can you just move to the part where you worked out in the previous try and where you got stuck?

Ps. this is for higher level maths.
    I also heard that if you do a question once, put a line through it and attempt it again, they mark the one that gives you the most marks. I'm not sure about this though because I'd imagine that people would be quick to abuse this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I also heard that if you do a question once, put a line through it and attempt it again, they mark the one that gives you the most marks. I'm not sure about this though because I'd imagine that people would be quick to abuse this.

Worked for me in the mock :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement