Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergic to Work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

poa wrote: »
    I have many faults, but I am no fake or fraud.

No, you are a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The way I see it is this, people often think only workers taxes pay for social welfare.
    The unemployed still pay VAT, tax on fuel, etc. When I bought my apartment I paid stamp duty. I pay my household charge etc. There is tax on most things these days, stealth tax or overtly we pay it as money is recycled in the economy.
    I pay the same tax on my petrol working or not. Yes income tax brings in some money, but so does VAT and VRT etc. Just because I don't work, doesn't mean I have also stopped paying car tax and the same taxes as the working man.
    My 188 dole gets spent, and that money moves around the economy. So its not like the dole head just keeps the money and its lost.
    Jobs come and go, just like relationships, money; everything else. I am not bothered or hung up on more tax makes a man a better one. I volunteer for my local hospice, and that is my way of contributing to society. I don't think working and paying tax is the only way to do so.
    My father thinks dole heads are scum. He worked from 15 to 65, and never had a day off sick, never claimed dole. Always paid his taxes etc. He thinks he is a great man.
    But when he retired at 65 his health was fked. And now he can't enjoy the time he has left; probably from 65 to 80 realistically. So he worked all that time for what? 15 years of bad health left, money in bank, a clear conscience he paid his tax fair and square.
    I think my freedom and health is worth more, but that's just me.
    I could work until 65, but I have no motivation to do so. I think most of that comes from not having kids to leave anything to.
    My apartment is bought and paid for, but I have no one to leave it to? I haven't figured out what to do with it to be honest.
    So I see the idea of working for another 26 years as pointless. I just wouldn't get the feel good factor of contributing my fair share to society in tax. I don't care about paying tax to the state.
    What I do care about is me. Having a lie in, and getting up when I want. Selfish? Yes. I make no bones about it.
    At the end of the day, if you don't look after your mental health and happiness, then no one else is going to. I did all the hard work for 20 years and no one thanked me for it.
    When I left my job, I got a card and 50 Euro oneforall gift voucher. You are just a number at the end of the day.
    My father worked for a firm for 30 years straight. From an apprentice to managing director. And at the end of it all, they gave him a gold Seiko watch worth around £200.
    Since he retired it sits on the windowsill in the kitchen as he doesn't need to know what time it is anymore.
    So I thought about all that, and thought I am not working until I am 65 and paying tax for what? A £200 gold watch. No thanks.
    As I have said before, I don't see it as I paid 20 years tax into the system, and now I am milking my 20 years dole back off the system.
    I just see it as the dole is there to be taken, so I will, thanks.
    I did all the moaning about the dole heads when I was working and paid 40% tax; so I am done with it, as I realise all my opinions count for nothing.
    If you can't beat them, then join them. The other option is to call Joe Duffy and moan some more I suppose.
    Cutting dole isn't the answer, creating more jobs is. If the jobs aren't there, then people with either emigrate or go on the dole. That's that.
    There will be some like me who can work, but just don't want to. That's that.
    Workers V spongers can argue ad infinitum about who is right/wrong, but nothing changes so its pointless.

Iv a funny feeling jobs of the future will be a lot different than present. Less permanent contracts. Mostly long term temporary contracts anyway.
    Employers are too mean now. They'll try limit payments to everything. Retirement redundancies. Alot use hire and fire and rehire to avoid redundancy now.It will be very interesting in about 30 years where the shortfall will be made up. That's another thing the older generation dont get. The only thing your told is you expect too much too fast. It took my brother 8 years to be made permanent in his job. That's taking the piss. Things are very different now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

eviltwin wrote: »
    The more I read your posts I wonder was the issue work in general or just the job you had.

I'm in work at the moment, taking a five minute break to write this before I go back and do some more, I am snowed under today but you know I don't mind..I feel energised and excited and motivated. I wouldn't feel that way in every job but I love what I am doing now, I'm making a difference, I go home every day feeling great that I helped someone and gave them a bit of hope.

Don't get me wrong, when its roasting out I'll be jealous you're out enjoying the sun but I'll get back to what I do and feel good about it. If the job was gone tomorrow I'd miss it massively. Maybe you just need to find some part time work in an area that you are passionate about and then you can have the best of both worlds.

I have a degree and a masters. 20 years building up a career. 3 steady jobs from graduate to my retirement. I worked my way up in my profession. From monkey to organ grinder, from poacher to gamekeeper if you like. I tried 3 different jobs, and none of them made me feel good. I hated work, that's the truth. I worked 5 productive hours in every 8 hour day. After work I binged and lived a life of excess. With no mortgage, kids, I had disposable income and I either put it up my nose or down my throat. What was left over I spent on fast cars, my watch collection, and holidays. Not a healthy way to live. The truth is I am a sociopath, and one can hide that quite well being a manager. Being aggressive and controlling are often seen as admirable character traits in the profession I was in.
    But years of working hard and playing hard in good jobs was burning me out. I wasn't sleeping enough, wasn't eating healthy, wasn't exercising. I was a ripe candidate for a hearth attack or breakdown if I am honest.
    The thing is, once one has had a taste of the big money and hedonistic life its hard to let go and walk away. But at 38 I just made that decision to quit when I was ahead.
    I bought my apartment, sold my car, gave up the bingeing; and too up exercise and clean eating.
    Do I miss the money? No. I have my health and happiness. Before I was filling the vacuum in my life with materialism and risk taking behaviour. I was successful in my career, and on the face of it very respectable and doing well.
    But it was fuelled by living up to my friends and families expectations; rather than my own aspirations to be successful.
    I had 20 years of working hard, and just had enough. I suppose I felt like a 65 year old man when he retired, but I had fast forwarded my life 26 years to that point. Living fast does that to a man, its not healthy.
    The thing is, I sleep better now and I am not stressed. I had high cholesterol and blood pressure, and now I have got that back to normal with diet and exercise.
    All things considered I am more normal, and less of an animal that I became when I worked.
    I don't think if I had taken a 4th job it would have made any difference to be honest. I was never happy in any of the jobs I have had. Some people just hate work, any work; that's the reality.
    And some (no offence implied) enjoy work. I admire that if I am honest, but I just can't make myself feel what I don't feel. I don't feel good after a days work like some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ya im at work now, and Im going to get killed by my boss because i made a mistake, nothing is ever explained, my stress and anxiety are true the roof, im waiting for him now to confront me about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

fin12 wrote: »
    ya im at work now, and Im going to get killed by my boss because i made a mistake, nothing is ever explained, my stress and anxiety are true the roof, im waiting for him now to confront me about the whole thing.

That sounds like you need a new job, rather than no job.

I have anxiety and having a bad boss made it so much worse but when you have a decent boss, it's easy to cope in work!

• Advertisement

You made yourself feel like crap, blaming "society" is feeble.

Society isn't perfect. Yes all ya can do is soldier on but saying society hasn't contributed to this problem is a cop out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My parents and previous employer wouldn't approve of me on the dole minding the barbeque from the sunlounger this afternoon. Fk them.
    & you a Grand Master, what would the lodge think jötunn ? :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That sounds like you need a new job, rather than no job.

I have anxiety and having a bad boss made it so much worse but when you have a decent boss, it's easy to cope in work!

I just started this job in january so its not really an option, its only to cover maternity so i have to stick it out.

Hes not in the office all the time, just when he's around i get so stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    & you a Grand Master, what would the lodge think jötunn ? :eek: :rolleyes:
    Grand Master in an organisation that, according to him, expels people with criminal records, despite his own conviction for drink-driving.

Wise up to him FFS people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

osarusan wrote: »
    Grand Master in an organisation that expels people with criminal records, despite his own conviction for drink-driving.

But he said he isn't a fake or a fraud? So he couldn't be lying to us, that would be wrong! A moral guy like this would never do such a thing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

See they'll likely be getting out of having to pay water charges now too. Something like 40% of people will have an allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    See they'll likely be getting out of having to pay water charges now too. Something like 40% of people will have an allowance.

Didn't see the same scale of protests for property tax or usc, did we? They only affect workers and homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

poa,

I am very happy for you that you have found more peace, stability and happiness in your life, and better health.

But if you are not actively-seeking employment, then you are not entitled to JSA.

It's great that your life-change has brought you happiness, but it's not society's responsibility to subsidise this new lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Noonan has been suckling on the tit of tax payers as a public servant as past forty years. I'm sure he'd know a lot about it.

If work was in his bed, he'd sleep on the floor.

Thats very wrong in my book. I dont prescribe to any political party but its painfully obvious how much effort Noonan put in to turn the financial ****storm around, whether you agree with all the policies or not.

Noonan is ancient and got Pneumonia there a few months back. From experience, I know that kills a lot of older people. There have also been suggestions of heart problems. Even with pneumonia he wasnt long out.

In my book Noonan is of that generation who really busts his balls in work, to the detriment of his own health and well being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

all these celebrities dying in their 50s and 60s should be a warning to people. You dont want to work your whole life only to drop dead before you have got a chance to live.

Jobs for everyone who wants one isn't much help for skilled workers.

Whats the point in the government spending so much on higher education if they expect graduates to take any old job.

I took the any old job when I graduated and all it did was delay me by a number of years in my career.

Now I re-skilled in IT and because I have experience in admin there is pressure for me to stay in admin from the social welfare, then what was the point in me spending all my savings to upskill? :rolleyes:

That's what I find fascinating about my hometown. There extending and building onto the college all the time. But when it comes to industry or jobs in general there hardly any in the local area. Pretty pointless if you graduate out to nothing. Id say that goes for most places round the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's what I find fascinating about my hometown. There extending and building onto the college all the time. But when it comes to industry or jobs in general there hardly any in the local area. Pretty pointless if you graduate out to nothing. Id say that goes for most places round the country.

Yeah I graduated "BSc Very Specific Field" but there's no jobs in my hometown of 30k people so I'm gonna cry. Follow the demand.

So Poa is the new account for Mr "Vodka in the office" then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Didn't see the same scale of protests for property tax or usc, did we? They only affect workers and homeowners.

Exactly. Same old story in this country. One group of people who pay everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Poa has done nothing morally wrong thus far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thats very wrong in my book. I dont prescribe to any political party but its painfully obvious how much effort Noonan put in to turn the financial ****storm around, whether you agree with all the policies or not.

Noonan is ancient and got Pneumonia there a few months back. From experience, I know that kills a lot of older people. There have also been suggestions of heart problems. Even with pneumonia he wasnt long out.

In my book Noonan is of that generation who really busts his balls in work, to the detriment of his own health and well being.

Noonan or anyone else didn't do anything to turn the financial sh1tstorm around. The financial meltdown was deliberately perpetrated to shift public wealth into private hands. Noonan did exactly what he was told to do by Timothy Geitner and the IMF

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah I graduated "BSc Very Specific Field" but there's no jobs in my hometown of 30k people so I'm gonna cry. Follow the demand.

So Poa is the new account for Mr "Vodka in the office" then?

Id say most degrees are void mate. 30k ya must be psychic Wont take it much further than that with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

all these celebrities dying in their 50s and 60s should be a warning to people. You dont want to work your whole life only to drop dead before you have got a chance to live.

Yes, hard work is what's killing celebs, and they haven't truly lived as they're not currently sunbathing with dole-subsidised cans of Tuborg.
    Poa has done nothing morally wrong thus far.
    In your opinion maybe. I wouldn't mind the lifestyle but only if it was as the result of my hard work, not just giving up at 39 and expecting the state to give me pocket money for the rest of my life. He says he's happy but apathy is a key symptom of depression, which based on the past he described seems like a pretty key factor here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

Yes, hard work is what's killing celebs, and they haven't truly lived as they're not currently sunbathing with dole-subsidised cans of Tuborg.

In your opinion maybe. I wouldn't mind the lifestyle but only if it was as the result of my hard work, not just giving up at 39 and expecting the state to give me pocket money for the rest of my life. He says he's happy but apathy is a key symptom of depression, which based on the past he described seems like a pretty key factor here.

hes not depressed mate

As of today he has funded himself entirely. Thus owes you nothing.

As of today he has funded himself entirely. Thus owes you nothing.

I didn't say he owes me anything, but you're assuming that we pay in X into the system so we're entitled to pull X out as needed. That's not how society works, it's not a great big piggy bank.

Taxes pay for everything for everyone, not the things that I personally will use. My taxes pay for that new bit of equipment in a hospital I'll never visit, repairing a road I'll never drive on, supporting someone with disability I've never heard of, and I'm fine with that. I have plenty of major gripes and criticisms of where money is spent but at the end of the day you have to contribute to have a functional society.

People like poa are like anti-vaxxers. You're safe enough protected by the herd while everyone else takes the shot but if we all went down that path there'd be mayhem.

I didn't say he owes me anything, but you're assuming that we pay in X into the system so we're entitled to pull X out as needed. That's not how society works, it's not a great big piggy bank.

Taxes pay for everything for everyone, not the things that I personally will use. My taxes pay for that new bit of equipment in a hospital I'll never visit, repairing a road I'll never drive on, supporting someone with disability I've never heard of, and I'm fine with that. I have plenty of major gripes and criticisms of where money is spent but at the end of the day you have to contribute to have a functional society.

People like poa are like anti-vaxxers. You're safe enough protected by the herd while everyone else takes the shot but if we all went down that path there'd be mayhem.

Yes there would be. But that's free choice. Poa as a human being has no moral obligation to contribute to any functional society. He's a free entity.

Until the point where he starts using other peoples resources he owes no explanation or moral debt. He wasn't born with a copyright on his ass.

(That I know of)

He's making a conscious choice to extract resources which could have been used for something more worthwhile than allowing him an easy life. Not much, granted, but €10k a year would go a long way towards a lot of important things.

You can make as many arguments about freedom and morality as you want but at the end of the day he's only able to take advantage of the system because the rest of us don't. I couldn't live with myself.

osarusan wrote: »
    Grand Master in an organisation that, according to him, expels people with criminal records, despite his own conviction for drink-driving.

I am not a Grand Master, nor have I ever been. Please feel free to backup your claim with a quote showing I claimed to be?

I was convicted of drink driving in England in 2000. I do not have a criminal record in Ireland.

In your opinion maybe. I wouldn't mind the lifestyle but only if it was as the result of my hard work, not just giving up at 39 and expecting the state to give me pocket money for the rest of my life. He says he's happy but apathy is a key symptom of depression, which based on the past he described seems like a pretty key factor here.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I have never suffered with depression. I just had enough of work after 20 years, and decided to call it a day. Apathy is not having an opinion either way; I don't care if someone works or sponges. I am in no position to judge anyone. That isn't being depressed; it's just not giving a fk about the way others live their lives.
    I don't expect the state to fund me for the rest of my life. Maybe for the next 10-15 years until my parents pass; and then my inheritance will fund me from say 50-80.
    I worked for 20 years and paid my taxes, so I feel there is no shame in drawing dole from say 39-49 etc.
    I suppose I could sell my apartment and live off that cash well for 10 years, but the system says I can have dole; so why not take it? Because its morally wrong to do so?
    Well I don't care for morals, I care about me. I do what makes me feel happiest, and right now that is not working and drawing dole. I don't expect others to agree, that is their freedom of choice; nor would I try to impose my views on another man.
    I realised a long time ago, my opinion counts for nothing. Men will work and sponge whatever my opinion is on that. So now I feel apathetic about that.
    I don't think having an opinion either way on something one cannot change is worthwhile.
    Raging over dole spongers affects who ultimately? The dole head doesn't give a fk. The only one getting worked up and suffering is the worker; so why bother? To validate oneself as morally right, the better man? I don't care for all that.
    OK, you win; workers are the better men, dole spongers like me are scum. Its just a label you see, which changes nothing in reality.

• Advertisement

Some people think I'm bonkers, but I just think I'm free, man I'm just living my life, ain't nothing crazy about me...

Dizzee Rascal.

Advertisement