Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergic to Work

Options
  • 07-05-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard Micheal Noonan's comment about some people being allergic to work.

Has he hit the nail on the head?

I'm self employed in construction and with a family I need to work. Thankfully I've managed to keep going but at times I've had to do work I wouldn't normally do and work for lads who would make death a pleasant thought!! I've rang strangers asking if they'd work in the future, sent loads of emails to companies asking them to consider me for work and even called into sites to see what work was available. I've never really been out of work as I line up jobs well in advance to ensure I'm not idle. I love going to work and couldn't bear the thought of sitting on my arse twiddling my thumbs.

Should everyone who is able to work be working? Noonan says there'll be work for anyone who wants it. Should a graphic designer flip burgers or an accountant wait on tables until something in their field comes available?

Would your pride stop you sweeping floors and you'd prefer the dole or do you need to be working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Anyone who is able to work should be working full stop. People who don't have a disability which means that they can't work should be forced to work the hours in community projects that make up their weekly payment! If "waters not free" then wages shouldn't be free either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

222233 wrote: »
    People who don't have a disability which means that they can't work should be forced to work the hours in community projects that make up their weekly payment!

Yeah, like criminals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

I suffer from a bad back, why should I have to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"What about the right not to work?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

And who would watch daytime TV hence causing large scale unemployment amoung the presenters of such shows?

Yeah, like criminals!

Not because their criminals because "nothing is free", so why should a weeks living money be "free" at someone else's expense.... I would love to sit at home in my pjs all day and live off the state but i don't i go out and make a living and pay for other people to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Anyone who is able to work should be working full stop. People who don't have a disability which means that they can't work should be forced to work the hours in community projects that make up their weekly payment! If "waters not free" then wages shouldn't be free either!
    Actually, we should lay off all the people we already pay to do these community projects and make them do the work for €188 p/w.

Save the country a fortune, so it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Get that lot out of the old folks home as well, bloody hell! :mad::mad::mad:

Ruu wrote: »
    Get that lot out of the old folks home as well, bloody hell! :mad::mad::mad:

Many of those people worked for years, times were different then, I'm talking about people who have never put down a days work in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I can't read :o

Tell that to my mostly bed bound, severely disabled mother, who is too ill to even make herself a cup of tea most of the time.

Come back when you have a fcuking clue about disability. :mad:

I just clearly stated people who "don't have a disability" read properly first please.

Many of those people worked for years, times were different then, I'm talking about people who have never put down a days work in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so.

Nobody should be forced to work, people should be able to live their lives as they please, who do you think you are, you sound like a f8cking nazi!

RANT OVER

Nobody should be forced to work, people should be able to live their lives as they please, who do you think you are, you sound like a f8cking nazi!

RANT OVER

Okay and who are you suggesting pays for them to live their lives as they please? Im talking about people who deliberately don't work , where there is no valid reason that they can't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Noonan has been suckling on the tit of tax payers as a public servant as past forty years. I'm sure he'd know a lot about it.

If work was in his bed, he'd sleep on the floor.

I just clearly stated people who "don't have a disability" read properly first please.

My apologies. I obviously misread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Tell that to my mostly bed bound, severely disabled mother, who is too ill to even make herself a cup of tea most of the time.

Come back when you have a fcuking clue about disability. :mad:

Do you honestly think that poster was being serious ?

Some people love being offended

Okay and who are you suggesting pays for them to live their lives as they please? Im talking about people who deliberately don't work , where there is no valid reason that they can't work

Through the taxation of those who CHOOSE to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But if an accountant is waiting tables he is not unemployed. And if he is in any way employed and has no previous experience in his skill area he will not be eligible for any of the jobbridge type schemes that are the only way of getting that experience. And until the jobbridge comes along he is obliged to be sitting on his backside sending out applications. Waiting tables only qualifies you to wait tables.

(I am just using the OP's example of accountant, substitute any other professional qualification you like)

Through the taxation of those who CHOOSE to work.

I choose to work , for myself not to pay for other people to live "as they please"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some people are simply unemployable for whatever reason. There's not much you can do to change that unless there's a massive sea-change in attitudes towards certain demographics of people etc. You can't force businesses to employ people that they don't want to employ and there aren't nearly enough community programs to give them all 'jobs' to do. There's probably not much appetite for it either since it'd end up costing more to implement.

I don't buy into the idea that there are throngs of people who just choose to sit at home all day, every day because they're too lazy to work. You've got to be suffering from depression or something to be in a rut like that.. with no interest or desire to do things, find a purpose in or improve your life.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just heard Micheal Noonan's comment about some people being allergic to work.

Should everyone who is able to work be working? Noonan says there'll be work for anyone who wants it. Should a graphic designer flip burgers or an accountant wait on tables until something in their field comes available?

Would your pride stop you sweeping floors and you'd prefer the dole or do you need to be working?

I work in a call centre which employs people from about 12 different countries. Job involves taking calls all day. We had (or currently have) employed in these CSR jobs:
    a medical doctor (Ukrainian)
    couple of construction engineers (Polish)
    scientist (French)
    Archaeologist (Italian)
    Statistician (Spanish)

I could go on and on...some stay but a lot move on after a few months or so.

My point, a lot of other nationalities will take a job regarded as being 'beneath them' by Irish similarly qualified people. I currently have a cousin living at home with his parents at the age of 38 who has been unemployed for 2+ years and will not go back to a job which is not 'exactly' what he is trained for..

So, yes, Michael Noonan is absolutely right. A lot of Irish people happy to sit on their arse every day until the right job comes knocking at the door (or in some cases not even then)

I choose to work , for myself not to pay for other people to live "as they please"

Well they cant live on the streets can they.

Chijj wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that poster was being serious ?

Some people love being offended

If you read my last post, I misread his post and apologised for it.

I don't love being offended. really no need for a dig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know it's "not new" but I should maybe have put a ban on dole bashing for the sake of it!!

Was Noonan correct that some people are allergic to work or should there be a choice not to work? Should the tax payer support those who choose not to work?

I have no problem with my taxes being paid to people who genuinely cannot work due to illness or disability or people who are down on their luck and are trying to get back into employment.

If you read my last post, I misread his post and apologised for it.

I don't love being offended. really no need for a dig :)

Im a she lol

mfceiling wrote: »
    I know it's "not new" but I should maybe have put a ban on dole bashing for the sake of it!!

Was Noonan correct that some people are allergic to work or should there be a choice not to work? Should the tax payer support those who choose not to work?

I have no problem with my taxes being paid to people who genuinely cannot work due to illness or disability or people who are down on their luck and are trying to get back into employment.

I agree entirely I have no problem supporting people out of work due to mental health, physical disability, maternity leave, sick leave anything like that.

BUT people who CHOOSE not to work.... oh no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Everybody capable of working should be working - and they should be paid at least the minimum wage for it. Simple as. If you don't make jobs available for everyone, you have no place to complain about people not working, because you are in an economy that guarantees there will not be enough jobs for that to happen.

Noonan's recent comments are promising full employment by 2018 - and there is no way he is going to provide true full employment, without a program for putting people in public works; don't see anything like that in the works (as much as I'd like to).

His comments with regards to the unemployed, are inexcusably ignorant, and show that he should not be in any position of authority at all, within government - lest he manages to influence public policy, based on such stupid views.

I agree entirely I have no problem supporting people out of work due to mental health, physical disability, maternity leave, sick leave anything like that.

BUT people who CHOOSE not to work.... oh no.

Your a slave to the machine relax and let the sheeple do the work like I do, you'll live longer

• Advertisement

Your a slave to the machine relax and let the sheeple do the work like I do, you'll live longer

So I should choose to let HARD WORKING people struggle on low wages to support MY lifestyle when I am perfectly capable of going out working and mind that 2 jobs if needed at times

Advertisement