Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The London forum seems to be super quiet but I know there are a few Ladies here living in or near London so you might be able to help me. Just how possible is it to live on £18,500 in or near Brentfield?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Possible? Yes, but you'll need to find a very cheap house share.

Desirable? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Possible? Yes, but you'll need to find a very cheap house share.

Desirable? No.

That's what I was thinking! Thanks rainbow kirby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Had a job interview for the first time in 9 years this evening. It was weird, intense, but strangely enjoyable. After an online application that was so detailed it nearly went into how I would deal with a zombie apocalypse, this evening was a group assessment. It involved 3 tests of maths and visual observation, before a group test of how we would deal with surviving a plane crash. Given a list of salvaged items - prioritise the items and give uses for them. Wasn’t perfect, but I was able to think through a lot of it, guide the team and was compared to both Bear Grylls and the cast of Alive.

If tonight goes well enough I get a 1-1 interview, possibly a work trial, and then possibly a job. Then the hard work begins!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

That’s fab. Well done. Let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    That’s fab. Well done. Let us know how you get on!

Well actually, I just had a phone interview with the area manager. It went well. He questioned my skill set in marketing but I sold myself well. I now have a 3 hour in store session on Sunday to prove myself.

I’ve been unemployed for 4 years now, but it feels like I’m getting somewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Well actually, I just had a phone interview with the area manager. It went well. He questioned my skill set in marketing but I sold myself well. I now have a 3 hour in store session on Sunday to prove myself.

I’ve been unemployed for 4 years now, but it feels like I’m getting somewhere.

If you want us to arrange a schedule of visitors with planted questions to make you look good, let us know!

If you want us to arrange a schedule of visitors with planted questions to make you look good, let us know!

Tempting. Make sure to ask for “Boards Brand X/Y/Z”.

Tempting. Make sure to ask for “Boards Brand X/Y/Z”.

Noted. PM the details and we’ll get a rota together.

In other news, and this isn’t intentionally sad, but I miss my friend. She died in May and I think it’s only really sinking in now that she is gone. I’m having an operation next Monday and I want to have a disgusting conversation about it, and she was the go-to person for gross medical questions. It’s also the time of year that I was used to seeing her most, and I just generally miss her. It’s been a pretty incredible few months for me personally, and I really want to share it with her. But mainly the gross medical stuff :D

• Advertisement

It can take a while for these things to sink in, especially when you get to a point where they would be the first person you would turn to. *hugs*

I hope all the gross medical stuff goes well for you on Monday. I don’t miss the having to wait for surgery. Instead I have to wait to get far enough up the waiting list to get an appointment to see another psychiatrist. Yay for messed up systems.

Is it acceptable to just not answer the door tonight?

Is it acceptable to just not answer the door tonight?

I wish it was. I am on door duty this year, mainly as there is nobody else to do it.

I wish it was. I am on door duty this year, mainly as there is nobody else to do it.

I’m wondering if maybe we could just close the curtains, turn off the lights and plug out the door bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I bought a load of sweets for trick or treaters. But then realised that Halloween is on a weekday and I probably won't be home from work until after 7 which means many of the smaller treat or treaters will be missed.

And i'll end up eating all the sweets!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I bought a load of sweets for trick or treaters. But then realised that Halloween is on a weekday and I probably won't be home from work until after 7 which means many of the smaller treat or treaters will be missed.

And i'll end up eating all the sweets!

You have this all figured out ;)

You have this all figured out ;)
    Exactly - sure why do you think I went to the gym last night!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Exactly - sure why do you think I went to the gym last night!

For the same reason that I went for a cycle this morning!

I’m wondering if maybe we could just close the curtains, turn off the lights and plug out the door bell.

Update on this:

We had no trick or treaters.

Lucky you. I had about 50. Maybe slightly more.

• Advertisement

We didn’t try to avoid them, but we had no decorations up or anything. So nobody called. I’m not really complaining.

I’m confused.

Young adult as a genre for books.

I’m 31. The average life span of humans is what, 80+ these days? Adulthood starts at 18.

If we use an arbitrary scale of 20-80 of adulthood, that’s 7 blocks of 10 ages. 30 would be on the lower end of the scale, so that would make me a young adult (rather than just an adult).

In my head it just doesn’t make sense.

These are the things that keep me awake at night.

Oh another thing! What about the awkwardness of someone recommending a book to you that you decide to read. They’ve said that they loved it and are eager to hear how you got on with it.

Or seeing someone reading a book and judging it by its cover and thinking it sounds interesting, so you go and get it and read it and it’s a messed up book and it paints the person in an odd light.

Or someone asking you what you’re reading and panicking trying to think of something that isn’t shamed.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So I've seen a job that is outside of what I currently do but still within education, and have decided to apply for it. Have told a couple of my closest friends who are really excited about it, but I'm struggling to fill in the supporting statement - I can write other people's ones but not mine, so my lovely friends have said that they will sit with me at lunch time and help me with it. I need to try and have something down on paper before I meet them, so sitting here at work before the kids come in trying to write and I'm surfing boards. On the upside, I only teach 3 out of 5 lessons today, so essentially finish at 12.10, but can't leave site until 3.10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So I've seen a job that is outside of what I currently do but still within education, and have decided to apply for it. Have told a couple of my closest friends who are really excited about it, but I'm struggling to fill in the supporting statement - I can write other people's ones but not mine, so my lovely friends have said that they will sit with me at lunch time and help me with it. I need to try and have something down on paper before I meet them, so sitting here at work before the kids come in trying to write and I'm surfing boards. On the upside, I only teach 3 out of 5 lessons today, so essentially finish at 12.10, but can't leave site until 3.10.

Ah so you have to stay even if you have no classes?
    Luckily here I don't have to if a class is cancelled (like if the kids are on a trip).

Update on this:

We had no trick or treaters.

We had loads! And big groups of them too. And also ones that looked a bit too big for trick or treating! I had to hide the bag of nicest treats for us (edit: me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

We had 4 trick or treaters. Now we have loads of mini sweets left. It's 10am and I've already eaten a mars bar, Haribo and peanut m&ms. I need today to end. :pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ah so you have to stay even if you have no classes?
    Luckily here I don't have to if a class is cancelled (like if the kids are on a trip).

Yep, have to stay - all part of "directed time"

Had to go and speak to my head of department, who I didn't want to speak to about putting her down as a reference. She had no problem with it, was encouraging of it - has taken me four days to actually ask her!!!

Have spent the last 30 minutes working on this supporting statement - I'm not sure do I go for bullet points, or stay with paragraphs, and what I need to include - expanding on my experience.

Yep, have to stay - all part of "directed time"

Had to go and speak to my head of department, who I didn't want to speak to about putting her down as a reference. She had no problem with it, was encouraging of it - has taken me four days to actually ask her!!!

Have spent the last 30 minutes working on this supporting statement - I'm not sure do I go for bullet points, or stay with paragraphs, and what I need to include - expanding on my experience.

Do you know anyone else who has applied previously? They could advise on bullet point v paragraph.

• Advertisement

Using downtime in the house (I’m the only one here) to run network cables from the modem in the sitting room, up through the attic and down to my desk in my room. Get half way there, all plugged in to the modem, up through the cable run and in to the attic. Run it across to where I need it, and realise it’s about 5 feet short!

Gahhhhhhhhhhh!

I’ll have to buy an extender and another cable to get the rest of the way.

Advertisement