Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

sullivlo wrote: »
    I reckon after a few months of teaching I will have enough stories to entertain anyone at any dinner party. Teenagers are absolutely hilarious.

That means you'll regale us with them... right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Received my car insurance renewal quote and nearly hit the floor as I'd checked my companies website for quotes recently. So, went to companies website and retrieved a quote with EXACT same details as what they have printed on my renewal quote. As a new customer I can get fully comp cheaper than the third party fire and theft renewal quote they have sent me (as a customer of 6 years)
    They have quoted me nearly a grand for 3rd party.
    As a new customer, with same details I can get fully comp for €260 less than the 3rd party quote they have sent me.
    And, 3rd party for €500 less than what they've quoted me.

Did I mention this is the SAME COMPANY? :rolleyes:

Added my mum as a named driver and it comes down even more (as a new customer)

Received my car insurance renewal quote and nearly hit the floor as I'd checked my companies website for quotes recently. So, went to companies website and retrieved a quote with EXACT same details as what they have printed on my renewal quote. As a new customer I can get fully comp cheaper than the third party fire and theft renewal quote they have sent me (as a customer of 6 years)
    They have quoted me nearly a grand for 3rd party.
    As a new customer, with same details I can get fully comp for €260 less than the 3rd party quote they have sent me.
    And, 3rd party for €500 less than what they've quoted me.

Did I mention this is the SAME COMPANY? :rolleyes:

Added my mum as a named driver and it comes down even more (as a new customer)

Oh wow! Please tell me you called them?!? What was the response?

I've had the weirdest weekend ever. Polyamoury is a really strange mix of emotions sometimes.

Going to call them tomorrow.

They also appear to be firing ahead with charging me €30 to change my address on my policy for the last month of my policy. :rolleyes: Customer retention skills don't appear to be great.

Wow... insurance companies seem to have gone completely nuts this time around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Should you tell a family member that they are spelling their newborn's name wrong...? It's not a new innovative spelling of it, it's just wrong. They're putting the fada backwards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Should you tell a family member that they are spelling their newborn's name wrong...? It's not a new innovative spelling of it, it's just wrong. They're putting the fada backwards.

If it's an Irish name then I would.

What drives me mad is people putting fadas where they don't belong and vice versa

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My cousin did that... her daughter's name is spelt Brógán, but the fadas aren't pronounced at all. She was born in the UK and had her daughter in the US and wanted to "honour her Irish heritage".

If it's an Irish name then I would.

What drives me mad is people putting fadas where they don't belong and vice versa

It is an Irish name. I have a fada myself, so it really bugs me that it's wrong!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'd tell them that the fada is backwards. It's up to them then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

*sigh* The joys of knowing I have a doctor's appointment about my blood pressure in a week.

The monitoring I have to do for it has shown an increase in my blood pressure knowing that I have an appointment soon.

Monitoring it when I am not close to an appointment shows that is is (for me) relatively normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*sigh* The joys of knowing I have a doctor's appointment about my blood pressure in a week.

The monitoring I have to do for it has shown an increase in my blood pressure knowing that I have an appointment soon.

Monitoring it when I am not close to an appointment shows that is is (for me) relatively normal.

I got mine done when I was in the sleep doc's place and it was higher than usual because I was so freaked out. Got it done a while later still freaked out. It's always always normal!!
    It's an awful cycle.

Well I know I suffer a little from white coat syndrome, but I didn't think it would affect me a week away. I'll just keep monitoring it, and hope they decide it's normal enough to take me off some of the medication.

(It's better than normal after I get out of the pool. Maybe I should just live in the water.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My blood pressure is grand. Usually runs at 110/70. Whenever a nurse takes it, or one of the doctors I see takes it, it's always fine. But when my own GP takes it it's always over 140 the first twice she takes it. White coat fever is certainly a thing.

Also, looking to get a new passport. Can't renew online, as I'm an awkward case (change of name, change of gender - just getting the Garda to sign the form was fun). Can't passport express it, as I have no clue what info they need to go with it. Go to book an appointment with the passport office - and they say they need printed proof of booked travel at time of appointment.

I can't give you proof of booked travel as I have no travel booked. I can't book travel, as I have no idea if you will give me a passport or not.

*internal screaming*

sullivlo wrote: »
    My blood pressure is grand. Usually runs at 110/70. Whenever a nurse takes it, or one of the doctors I see takes it, it's always fine. But when my own GP takes it it's always over 140 the first twice she takes it. White coat fever is certainly a thing.

It certainly is a thing! Mine is just high though. Scrolling back through the records on my phone, I've many of xxx/95+, and one or two where I've gone xxx/100.

My kidneys aren't great anyway!

It certainly is a thing! Mine is just high though. Scrolling back through the records on my phone, I've many of xxx/95+, and one or two where I've gone xxx/100.

My kidneys aren't great anyway!

I'm the worst biologist ever. I don't really understand that whole blood pressure thing, beyond the obvious.

I'm not a biologist. All I know is high=bad normal=good low=bad, and that high blood pressure can end with it finding a weakness somewhere in a blood vessel and going through it. That tends to not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also, looking to get a new passport. Can't renew online, as I'm an awkward case (change of name, change of gender - just getting the Garda to sign the form was fun). Can't passport express it, as I have no clue what info they need to go with it. Go to book an appointment with the passport office - and they say they need printed proof of booked travel at time of appointment.

I can't give you proof of booked travel as I have no travel booked. I can't book travel, as I have no idea if you will give me a passport or not.

*internal screaming*

Just the mention of transgender there but Holy **** i now understand how awful the whole public toilet thing is since I came to kuwait. I have short hair and the work uniform (sports gear) doesn't help but I've been stopped 4 times in my first week and told to go to the men's by bathroom porters. It's so upsetting!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can't book travel, as I have no idea if you will give me a passport or not.

*internal screaming*

If you can spare around 20 quid, book a one way flight on a Tuesday at stupid AM to somewhere in the UK and use that?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Pronounce it in a comical French accent to drive the message home? :P

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just the mention of transgender there but Holy **** i now understand how awful the whole public toilet thing is since I came to kuwait. I have short hair and the work uniform (sports gear) doesn't help but I've been stopped 4 times in my first week and told to go to the men's by bathroom porters. It's so upsetting!

I'm fortunate that I blend in well, so I can go about my business in bathrooms, changing rooms and the like without issue. I occasionally get a sideways glance, but nothing more. I know it can be distressing for people though. Hopefully the bathroom porters get used to you and stop trying to make you go into the wrong bathroom.

I hope you're enjoying the experience in Kuwait too :)

If you can spare around 20 quid, book a one way flight on a Tuesday at stupid AM to somewhere in the UK and use that?

Yeah, I'm torn between just going to the appointment anyway, and playing the game of booking the cheapest Ryanair flight that I can!

I appear to have misplaced my driving license somewhere between exam hall today and my car :(

I appear to have misplaced my driving license somewhere between exam hall today and my car :(

Oh crap! I hope that you find it. It's a pain to replace.

Oh crap! I hope that you find it. It's a pain to replace.

Hopefully dropped it in the college and gets handed in. Going away on Tuesday so really don't have time to be messing about replacing (garda station etc)

Pain to go back over to Marino to pick up also mind. :pac:

Day 5 of being sick....while on annual leave. This is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Day 5 of being sick....while on annual leave. This is not fair.
    Aww no - it often happens to me too. I think it's the body's reaction to when you take the foot off the pedal so to speak. I was even like that in school, sick over mid term etc,

Depending on where you work if you can provide them with a sick cert from the doctor you can get the annual leave days changed to sick days. But if your work doesn't pay for sick days, then you may have to pay back some wages. Also I don't think you can go from sick leave into annual leave, eg if you had next week booked off work also.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Aww no - it often happens to me too. I think it's the body's reaction to when you take the foot off the pedal so to speak. I was even like that in school, sick over mid term etc,

Depending on where you work if you can provide them with a sick cert from the doctor you can get the annual leave days changed to sick days. But if your work doesn't pay for sick days, then you may have to pay back some wages. Also I don't think you can go from sick leave into annual leave, eg if you had next week booked off work also.

One of the days was food poisoning on holidays and the last four days is a hideous cold but not really enough for a doctor's visit. :(

Just feeling super sorry for myself. Was supposed to go to the races on Saturday, but I know it'll only make me worse so I can't go. Feeling really anxious and depressed. Hoping it's just because I'm sick.

• Advertisement

I've just booked a holiday to Portugal for the first week in Nov. I'm super excited!

Advertisement