Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

That good, eh?

I’m kept busy with some of the questions/answers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Parents were in Currys today getting a new cooker. Next to the queue for the till was the coffee machines, including a Tassimo one for €150. Me being clever, I bring them around the corner to Dunnes and get the same machine for €35! I had intended to pick it up anyway to live near my desk, along with maybe 6 boxes of pods for it (which are half price too). Suddenly I have 12 boxes of pods in the basket (ooh, you haven't picked up one of them - both parents) and the machine has been claimed for the kitchen.

You're welcome?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sad lonely sunstarved me has been looking at Budget travel for cheap holidays. It looks like I can get myself to Benidorm in mid January for a week for a couple of hundred Euro. I'm tempted. The last time I was on holiday was 2009. The last time I was in Spain was Benidorm in 2006.

Benidorm is, or was, rather LGBT friendly, which is a plus for me. I know the area fairly well, and eating etc isn't too expensive.

I've even just gone and looked up bike hire places. I've found one about 5km from the beach in Benidorm, where I can rent a kick ass bike for €80 for 4 days. They'll deliver to the apartment too, if requested.

I need someone to tell me what I need to hear, and I know there are cyclists among us, so anyone want to be a sounding board for me? Am I mad? Is a winter training camp a good idea? Should I just say F*ck it and book the trip?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Go for it. Even without the bike aspect I would recommend going for it.

• Advertisement

I went to the rugby yesterday. It was a last minute thing. I had - I think - 5 drinks over the course of the afternoon/evening. I was most definitely drunk and that scared me a bit. I didn’t enjoy it. I haven’t really been drinking for the past while, but I think it will be a more conscious decision now. I’ll have a few gin and tonics over Christmas, and maybe a glass of champagne. But my days of drinking pints for the sake of it are over.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Go for it. Even without the bike aspect I would recommend going for it.

I’m really tempted by it, or going anywhere really. Sometimes you need to get away from it all. The bike is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Dooooooooo it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Go. Go for me as I don't have time to and I would love to go on a cycling holiday. :)

I think I’m convinced. Now the only question is where I’m going :)

• Advertisement

I think I’m convinced. Now the only question is where I’m going :)

I did what I was threatening. I'm going to Spain in January. Ironically staying about 50 feet from where I did the last 2 times I was in Spain. Am I being drawn back to that spot for some reason?

€215 for flight and apartment for a week, with a $40 rebate on the apartment after the stay. Can't argue too much at that price.

My first holiday since 2009. I think I deserve it. Just have to live like a hermit between now and then.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So staff Christmas party Saturday - I ended up going to the hospital on Wednesday for my back and got diazepam, which helped. Saturday comes and I'm still in bits, so I end up taking a lot of strong painkillers at 3ish with lunch, then going to the sauna and steam room before getting ready, no real effect except pain relief. I took the same around 7.30 to get me through the night and ended up sky high - everyone thought I was drunk, but I was just high on pain meds - don't have a clear recollection of the night but it seemed fun. Couldn't walk in the morning, and still in bits, so doctor's appointment on Friday - earliest I could get it. Have taken paracetamol/ibuprofen previously, but its like taking smarties for the effect they are having

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You know you really are getting old when you find a white hair in your eyebrows...

I’m easily amused.

In the car running errands earlier. Radio Nova is on, and Pat Courtenay starts talking about arriving into work, opening Twitter, and seeing a tweet about the royal wedding. The tweet, he says, is from Robyn Morton (yes, that one) and that it is complaining about BBC leading with it when there are much more serious things going on in the world. He used it as the basis for a rant. I’m inspiring opinion pieces on the radio now :)

Get into Woodies to pick up something. They don’t have what I need, but on the clearance trolley is a light fixture. The sticker on it says “Was €102 Now...”

€2.97! 3 quid! There were 3 of them on the trolley, so I took 2. Guy on the till smiled and says “Yeah, they’re going straight on eBay”

Not quite, but that’s not a bad idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

This week is so loooooong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

This week is so loooooong.
    But tomorrow's the first of December!!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But tomorrow's the first of December!!

And Friday. Oh, Friday, I love you - let's never part again.

I was in an accident on my bike in June. I chased up with the insurance today to see what stage it’s at. I’m not going the damages route. I literally want my expenses back - bike, hospital, doctor, physio. Not a huge amount, but it would be appreciated for Christmas. Turns out the driver is denying liability and claiming I was at fault :(

I do not have the time or the energy or the resources to fight this. I will, but I genuinely don’t have time to bless myself at the moment :(

I was in an accident on my bike in June. I chased up with the insurance today to see what stage it’s at. I’m not going the damages route. I literally want my expenses back - bike, hospital, doctor, physio. Not a huge amount, but it would be appreciated for Christmas. Turns out the driver is denying liability and claiming I was at fault :(

I do not have the time or the energy or the resources to fight this. I will, but I genuinely don’t have time to bless myself at the moment :(

Ah sh!te! That’s the last thing you need, but I hope it all works out for you *hugs*

Ah sh!te! That’s the last thing you need, but I hope it all works out for you *hugs*

I don’t even know how to proceed!

• Advertisement

Look at the injuries board process. It's inexpensive to get into, and is designed that it can be done without a solicitor. That said, when I went through it, I found the use of a solicitor to be beneficial, as they know the ins and outs.

If you know someone who can (informally) give you advice on how to proceed down that route, I'd start there.

Look at the injuries board process. It's inexpensive to get into, and is designed that it can be done without a solicitor. That said, when I went through it, I found the use of a solicitor to be beneficial, as they know the ins and outs.

If you know someone who can (informally) give you advice on how to proceed down that route, I'd start there.

I don’t think I know anyone who can give informal advice :(

Then it might require a formal appointment with a solicitor to see what can be done, and what it will cost for their services.

I can't give a recommendation though. Sorry!

You should make an appointment to see a solicitor. Beware any "no win, no fee" bullshít (not allowed, those guys are chancers). They also can't say "oh I'll take X% if you win". They have to set out estimated costs or how costs will be calculated (e.g. hourly rates) at the outset (in what's called a section 68 letter).

If I was qualified I'd give you a hand, but alas!

I'm on a quiet enough bus to work and have a case with me. Case rack was full so got into a seat alone with said case at my feet, meaning my legs are over the other side of the seat. Awkward, I'm aware, but there are at least 10 free seats around me and I was going to move if it got busy. Next stop and someone gets on and sits beside me. Ffs, lady - why would you do that?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

PIAB - they will look after all of it themselves and if the driver is denying liability take them for all you can get. F*ck that. You deserve damages. The driver was at fault based on what you said. Didn't you have witnesses? And didn't the guards come out?
    Literally all you do is fill in a form on a website and the solicitor looks after the rest. I will dig through my emails to find out who dealt with mine back in 2012 and I'll pm you.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Been signed off by the doctor last week and this week - only for the fact I've tickets to see Katie Taylor fight in London I'd be gone home. Having physio, and that has helped hugely.

It is snowing here - don't think it will be enough to close the school though, but I've a physio appointment tomorrow morning which involve a walk/taxi then train journey then five minute walk

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm pulling a sickie tomorrow if it's like this, I refuse to take any commute risks at 31 weeks! Still snowing heavily in Islington.

Completely right - we have staff that will definitely not be able to come in tomorrow as they live in High Wycombe, the high parts of it, looks like 2 inches of snow there! Wish we had more - may venture out a little later, have my proper walking boots and need an excuse to get dresed at some stage

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Balmy 3 degrees and bucketing rain this morning. Sludge everywhere but no ice. I went in anyway, trains were fcuked and it took half an hour longer than normal to travel a whopping 4 miles to work with a diversion through King's Cross. Should have just gone back to bed!

• Advertisement

Next time don't bother! Some staff didn't get in, they had 5 inches of snow - I woke with a cold and am now on my way to physio. Friend has invited me around to theirs later on but on the verge of saying no as I don't feel great and there is a real possibility of getting snowed in there of more falls

Advertisement