Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

If you can spare around 20 quid, book a one way flight on a Tuesday at stupid AM to somewhere in the UK and use that?

I caved and booked the cheapest flight I could find. €5.60 from Stansted to L'Orient in France for a random Tuesday in October.

It serves two purposes. It's confirmed travel for the passport office, and allows me to play Ryanair Cancellation Roulette. At worst I lose €5.70. At best I get that refunded, and get cancellation compensation :D

The dog (springer spaniel dalmatian cross) tried to break me today.

He's old, and no longer the best on his feet, and no longer cares about where in the garden he goes to the toilet. Fortunately most of the garden is a concrete yard, so it can be cleaned down. I took on the task this morning.

Scoop up what can be scooped, then get ready to hose and sweep down the yard. As ours is the last house on the line, we have a main drain manhole cover on the yard, and I thought I would be clever by lifting it, hosing the yard, and sweeping it down the drain to get rid of the water and any remaining dirt. So I lift the cover, and move it out of the way.

I turn around to turn on the hose and pick up the brush, while the dog, either to investigate, or more likely as he didn't see the now gaping hole in the ground, takes a walk... into the manhole.

It's only a couple of feet down, and empty (save for the dog and some pipework) but due to the design of it, and the dogs lack of ability to jump out, he's stuck. A real oh sh!t moment.

After a minute or so I did manage to free him. I grabbed a flattened cardboard box from the shed, put it on the ground, put myself flat on top of it, and hauled half of him at a time back out. To thank me, he decided it would be fun to start stepping across the hole again (at that point he got the hose, and decided it would be easier to go and lie down)

A totally lovable, but totally daft animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

10am and I am already done with today. Nope. Just can't cope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I appear to have misplaced my driving license somewhere between exam hall today and my car :(

Left it in exam hall it seems. Invigilator posted it back to me. :D

Woohoo! That was nice of him :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Woohoo! That was nice of him :)
    Or her ;)

I'm shattered. It's only Monday but it's already been a long week :P

I was cycling over the weekend. Saturday. Local charity cycle. It rained, and rained, and then it rained some more. It was quite possibly the worst organised cycle event I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in. I'll spare you the full rant but in brief: helmets were not mandatory; there was only one support vehicle; said support vehicle had to deal with the fallout of someone falling off their bike without their helmet on. I've cycled lots. I've been a part of lots of events. But I didn't feel safe out there on Saturday :(

Spent yesterday doing college stuff. College =/= classroom :pac: so at the moment it's just a case of ticking the boxes so that I can get my qualification. But seriously, no amount of college can prepare one for the classroom. So far though I am absolutely loving it. I was tired this morning but by my third class I felt really energised. We had a lot of fun, and there was a lot of learning going on. I said this last week to somebody: I don't know why it took me so long to make the jump. I don't ever recall a time where I have felt happier.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Or her ;)

Point taken. That was careless of me!
    I was cycling over the weekend. Saturday. Local charity cycle. It rained, and rained, and then it rained some more. It was quite possibly the worst organised cycle event I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in. I'll spare you the full rant but in brief: helmets were not mandatory; there was only one support vehicle; said support vehicle had to deal with the fallout of someone falling off their bike without their helmet on. I've cycled lots. I've been a part of lots of events. But I didn't feel safe out there on Saturday :(

*splutters* WHAT!?!? What kind of lunatic would organise a mass participation cycle and not make helmets mandatory? I know legally they're not, but the insurers for the event would have a field day about that alone. I'll not even go on about the lack of support crewing (a certain event may have us spoiled in that regard, but still)
    Spent yesterday doing college stuff. College =/= classroom :pac: so at the moment it's just a case of ticking the boxes so that I can get my qualification. But seriously, no amount of college can prepare one for the classroom. So far though I am absolutely loving it. I was tired this morning but by my third class I felt really energised. We had a lot of fun, and there was a lot of learning going on. I said this last week to somebody: I don't know why it took me so long to make the jump. I don't ever recall a time where I have felt happier.

That last bit, totally. There is no point doing anything if you're not happy doing it. Your being happy and energised in what you do shows, especially in a learning environment. Go you! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

*splutters* WHAT!?!? What kind of lunatic would organise a mass participation cycle and not make helmets mandatory? I know legally they're not, but the insurers for the event would have a field day about that alone. I'll not even go on about the lack of support crewing (a certain event may have us spoiled in that regard, but still)

That last bit, totally. There is no point doing anything if you're not happy doing it. Your being happy and energised in what you do shows, especially in a learning environment. Go you! :)

Even removing that event from the list. This was just on another level. It was all well intentioned, but just wildly unsafe/disorganised. There was no lead car OR route markings. I got lost. Twice. Ended up doing 63 for a 50k cycle. Okay take 6 off that because I cycled there and back, but that's still 7k more than advertised. It was just chaos.

And yes. Today was a good day :)

Unfortunately you can't run anything these days on just good intentions. It just doesn't work any more. Even community groups need a minimum of 6.5 million of cover for the most basic things.

Well, I've done all I can before my kidney doctor appointment in the morning. I've got my weight down to 103.5 kg (the target was 100, but still, 11.5 down) and my blood pressure is averaging out to 135/83. It should all go well, depending on what the blood tests say. I'm optimistic anyway :)

Back from doctor, and the news is... good.

Official weight loss on their scales...10kg
    Blood pressure taken as borderline normal.
    Blood tests stable, which considering increased creatnine from gym work shows improved kidney function.

They were kind of amazed at the work I've put in, and can only encourage me to keep going.

Yeah, I'm happy with that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done, sounds like you're doing really well :)

As both the registrar and the consultant said

"When we tell someone to lose weight, it's rare that someone actually goes and does it!"

I'll take that as a win any day :)

Only now both they and I expect me to keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Been away from boards for a while! As per usual - back on when I need to do some procrastinating!

I've a bit of a dilemma. I have a weekend away booked in a few weeks with a group of girls that I paid a deposit for and I'm not sure I want to go. I've kind of stopped drinking recently (so I probably wouldn't enjoy the trip anyway) and the one main friend of mine who is also going has kind of pulled back from me quite a bit in the past while. There was an expectation that I'd do the chauffeuring on this particular trip (and there is going to be a lot of driving)...which has not too unsurprisingly rekindled that friends sudden interest in talking to me again (or so it would seem anyway). I think I might be happier at home catching up on sleep and going to the gym - maybe I should just feck the 200 euro.

On the other hand maybe it's just me being anxious about nothing and I should just go and try enjoy myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Been away from boards for a while! As per usual - back on when I need to do some procrastinating!

I've a bit of a dilemma. I have a weekend away booked in a few weeks with a group of girls that I paid a deposit for and I'm not sure I want to go. I've kind of stopped drinking recently (so I probably wouldn't enjoy the trip anyway) and the one main friend of mine who is also going has kind of pulled back from me quite a bit in the past while. There was an expectation that I'd do the chauffeuring on this particular trip (and there is going to be a lot of driving)...which has not too unsurprisingly rekindled that friends sudden interest in talking to me again (or so it would seem anyway). I think I might be happier at home catching up on sleep and going to the gym - maybe I should just feck the 200 euro.

On the other hand maybe it's just me being anxious about nothing and I should just go and try enjoy myself.

Where is the trip? Are there other things you could do alone that don't involve drinking? As a largely non-drinker, I would not be impressed with people expecting me to be the designated driver!
    I love having time to myself just doing my own thing on holidays - maybe you could go and just do that yourself, just meet up with the gang in the evenings for dinner etc and have your days to yourself?
    Point taken. That was careless of me!

You were correct though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Where is the trip? Are there other things you could do alone that don't involve drinking? As a largely non-drinker, I would not be impressed with people expecting me to be the designated driver!
    I love having time to myself just doing my own thing on holidays - maybe you could go and just do that yourself, just meet up with the gang in the evenings for dinner etc and have your days to yourself?

To a small hotel in the west of Ireland! Yeah I might just do that instead!

Saw my boyfriend holding a baby yesterday. Heart is melted.

Had an appointment in the passport office last week to apply for my new passport.

Person on counter was happy with the documents I supplied, but advised they would be looked at again upstairs, and that they may request other documents.

I was given an estimated issue date of 03 October.

It was printed and posted today, a week early.

That's good, but now I'm nervous to see whether the documents I supplied come back (they are by their nature difficult and expensive to replace) and if they got the name on it right.

Someone tell me I'm worrying needlessly (hopefully). I'll find out soon enough anyway :)

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you Robyn - hopefully all goes well :)

Ah sure, what's the worst that could happen?

I'm a natural optimist, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

So glad I didn't bother straightening my hair this morning - it would have been a waste of time with that rain!

• Advertisement

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you Robyn - hopefully all goes well :)

It was all good when it arrived. Correct details and all documents safely returned.

That's that for another 10 years so :)

Now, if only I had some place to go...

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    So glad I didn't bother straightening my hair this morning - it would have been a waste of time with that rain!

It's probably for the best. I rarely straighten my hair anyway as it is just far too curly. When I do, I want it to last more than 10 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's probably for the best. I rarely straighten my hair anyway as it is just far too curly. When I do, I want it to last more than 10 minutes!
    My hair is not quite straight, but not quite wavy either - kinky is probably the right word! It doesn't seem to know quite what it wants to do. I find that when it's straightened I look and feel more respectable. But the effort though!

Haircut this evening, I look like I've been dragged through a bush backwards at the moment so it's badly needed!

If I could use dry shampoo without looking like a bottle of baby powder exploded on me, I would get straight into bed fully clothed and sleep until the morning.

I'm exhausted. I know that it was the weekend and all that, but today was busy!

I'm loving life though, so whilst this is a moan, it's a happy one.

And yes, I'd hate me too :D

I have a dry shampoo in a box somewhere here that's a foam to rub in and towel back out.

I'm just too lazy to go digging it out right now to get you a name :pac:

Was with a psychiatrist today. The good news is I'm not crazy, that I am who I say I am, and that I'm being referred to two more doctors, another psychiatrist and an endocrinologist. Normally you're not meant to be happy about collecting more medics, but I am :)

My friends husband had a birthday with a zero on it the other day. He's a pioneer, she's pregnant. They couldn't celebrate on the day itself for various reasons, so tomorrow she's throwing him a surprise party where she'll serve coke floats.

Is it wrong that this is the most excited to be invited to a party that I can remember being in a long time?

I have a dry shampoo in a box somewhere here that's a foam to rub in and towel back out.

I'm just too lazy to go digging it out right now to get you a name :pac:

Was with a psychiatrist today. The good news is I'm not crazy, that I am who I say I am, and that I'm being referred to two more doctors, another psychiatrist and an endocrinologist. Normally you're not meant to be happy about collecting more medics, but I am :)

I am whoever I say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am. In the paper, the news every day I am. Radio won't even play my jam.

Congrats. That's fab news.

I'm not The Real Slim Shady (TM), but yes it is fab news. I believe there's a 12 month waiting list for the next one though.

• Advertisement

My friends husband had a birthday with a zero on it the other day. He's a pioneer, she's pregnant. They couldn't celebrate on the day itself for various reasons, so tomorrow she's throwing him a surprise party where she'll serve coke floats.

Is it wrong that this is the most excited to be invited to a party that I can remember being in a long time?

Honestly, that sounds amazing.

My mum threw me a surprise party for my 17th birthday with a bouncy slide, musical chairs and pass the parcel. Good times!

Having my 26th birthday party this weekend. Trying to find somewhere in Dublin for karaoke.

Advertisement