Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Election 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A bit of irreverence before the main action tonight

The results are in – see how the Irish in Britain plan on voting

I am surprised at how high UKIP is in that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Labour on top and then UKIP? Odd.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Just back from voting, 2 from our house for the SNP :) My constituency is this one and will be a very tall ask if the SNP can take the seat from Labour

Well, you link suggests a close call.

Turnout is key, it had a pretty small turnout 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What have Labour to do with those scandals?

Apologies for the delay; basically the Rotherham abuse scandal happened on a near 100% Labour watch; and the culture that has been spoken of from those who tried to bring the matter to attention of higher-ups was one of political correctness & fear of being labeled racist by challenging the perpetrators gone mad.

Now, whilst I'm not going to suggest that Labour as a party is culpable for this, locally, it was down to poor leadership, or bad leadership that the rot within the local authority was allowed to spread and take root. Such a culture comes from the top, not the bottom. And for that, Labour - locally - need to be kicked to touch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lemming wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay; basically the Rotherham abuse scandal happened on a near 100% Labour watch; and the culture that has been spoken of from those who tried to bring the matter to attention of higher-ups was one of political correctness & fear of being labeled racist by challenging the perpetrators gone mad.

Now, whilst I'm not going to suggest that Labour as a party is culpable for this, locally, it was down to poor leadership, or bad leadership that the rot within the local authority was allowed to spread and take root. Such a culture comes from the top, not the bottom. And for that, Labour - locally - need to be kicked to touch.

I think it might be a bit of a stretch to blame political correctness for the abuses. It doesn't paint a nice picture of Labour in any case.

You're not going to find a party that you will 100% agree with or even 100% condone the actions of as in the above example. One needs to set a threshold or have red lines on certain issues. The more I found out about the Greens, the more reasons I found to vote against them, ie misandry, authoritarianism, incompetence (Brighton & Hove council is the 302nd Greenest council in the country out of 360) and an ignorant lack of understanding of scientific research despite claiming to be a scientific party. So I stopped volunteering for them. Labour aren't perfect but I think they're the best fit this time round.

If someone could explain what the Lib Dems are meant to be for, I'd be grateful...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I think it might be a bit of a stretch to blame political correctness for the abuses. It doesn't paint a nice picture of Labour in any case.

You're not going to find a party that you will 100% agree with or even 100% condone the actions of as in the above example. One needs to set a threshold or have red lines on certain issues. The more I found out about the Greens, the more reasons I found to vote against them, ie misandry, authoritarianism, incompetence (Brighton & Hove council is the 302nd Greenest council in the country out of 360) and an ignorant lack of understanding of scientific research despite claiming to be a scientific party. So I stopped volunteering for them. Labour aren't perfect but I think they're the best fit this time round.

If someone could explain what the Lib Dems are meant to be for, I'd be grateful...

The Rotherham stuff happened under Labour's watch because Rotherham is in the North. :P

Yeah the Greens unfortunately seem to be gaining in support. They're like the ultra-PC "science" party. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

My favorite bit of the elections is all the rushing and racing in Sunderland to try declare a result first, and in record time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Have the polls closed now?

I was disappointed to find Bbc iplayer having problems yesterday. I hope it holds up tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ch4 calling Tories with 316 seats!

Exit poll on BBC showing the Tories close to a majority :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well ahead of the pre election polls for the Tories. It'll be interesting to see how this exit poll holds up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

316 seats is well short of a majority.

and the SNP taking 58 of 59 seats in Scotland!

10 seats, which is what they have the LibDems at.

Capture.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

That's astounding, how accurate are the exit polls in respect of the final result.

Time will tell, its too soon to call it from just an exit poll.

However I did say, the thought of the nationalists in Scotland ruling the UK has done massive damage to Labour in England.

I thought english voters would rush to the Tories & it may be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Seems the British electorate treat the mudguard coalition party exactly the same as we do

10 seats?

Or the DUP :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Predicted 58 out of 59 Scottish seats go to the SNP. Tories get back in to government. EU in/out referendum moves closer. Interesting times ahead........

I don't think Cameron will go in with them unless he absolutely needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

In view of such a libdem collapse, wouldnt it be suicide for them to rejoin a coalition?

Or does the 'national interest' oblige them to do so.

Not well short of it when compared to the polls before the exit poll
    and the SNP taking 58 of 59 seats in Scotland!

Fantastic news although tempered by the disastrous showing in this exit poll by Labour

The magic number is dependent on how many seats SF get as they get taken away from the total so 316 is actually quite close

Those lads in Sunderland are in some hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Worst possible outcome predicted.

Tories biggest party, only needing the support of the DUP. If they went into government with them it would be extremely hypocritical given their criticism of the SNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

drkpower wrote: »
    In view of such a libdem collapse, wouldnt it be suicide for them to rejoin a coalition?

Or does the 'national interest' oblige them to do so.

Don't go into coalition and they'll face wipeout in the next election anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Minority government with an informal agreement with the DUP and ukip? Can't see a coalition with the Lib Dems being viable. The British electorate have utterly rejected them.

Hypocrisy, far from being a hindrance, seems to be an entry requirement for politicians. I'd say Cameron will prefer good aul Cleggy though. He's more gay friendly.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

B17G wrote: »
    Predicted 58 out of 59 Scottish seats go to the SNP. Tories get back in to government. EU in/out referendum moves closer. Interesting times ahead........

If the exit poll is close, the calls for another referendum in Scotland will grow and grow

Advertisement