Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Muckit wrote: »
    potato spinner. great yoke for the small grower with a .05-1 acre. There were a few in every parish years ago but very few households growing that amount of spuds now

I have one that the father made back in the early 1950's. All steel sheeting and RSJ frame was cut with a hammer and cold chisel. And we wondered why his hearing was poor.
    Was made for a Ford NAN.
    Must stick up a photo tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I have one that the father made back in the early 1950's. All steel sheeting and RSJ frame was cut with a hammer and old chisel. And we wondered why his hearing was poor.
    Was made for a Ford NAN.
    Must stick up a photo tomorrow.

That answers the question as to where you got the guntering gene so!!

jimmy G M wrote: »
    That answers the question as to where you got the guntering gene so!!

Ha! You're probably right.
    We were still using it in the 1970's.
    As kids we used to pull a 1cwt. paper meal bag right down over our heads and dare each other how close to the drill being dug we would sit. For some reason being pelted by flying spuds seemed very exciting!
    The chance of getting a stone made it all a bit like Russian Roulette..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

My car tyre was crap a few months ago and it blew out when I was pumping air into it. It was only at 15/20 psi. I feel a bit like that now every time I haveto blow sum air into a tyre now ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭BG2.0

Time of year with little to be at, looks at cool pics instead. Some are awsome!!
    http://brightside.me/article/100-best-photographs-without-photoshop-46555/?image=210605#image212055

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    The vegan crowd seem to be gaining momentum in dublin as there are loads of thier ads about the place

This stuff seems to go in cycles with each thinking they are mavericks out to convert the rest of us. Some are very pushy about it and some keep it to themselves.

I have an older relative who is vegan and has been for maybe 30 years. Shed never comment on food people are eating and I've done work at her house - she roasts a proper chicken dinner for us.
    Some people are idiots, some are vegan and idiots.

There ya go lads. All steel plate and the channel iron frame cut with a hammer and chisel.
    Inside, it has two sprockets and a chain from a BSA motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

BG2.0 wrote: »
    Time of year with little to be at, looks at cool pics instead. Some are awsome!!
    http://brightside.me/article/100-best-photographs-without-photoshop-46555/?image=210605#image212055

Here's one I made earlier. Took this on the way to Belmullet last Feb. Its a reflection of mountain on lough beltra. I wouldn't be into photography but pulled up on side of road and had to take it. Pass that way often enough with work and doubt I'll see it again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

There ya go lads. All steel plate and the channel iron frame cut with a hammer and chisel.

Thats like something out of mad max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Have you anymore stuff he made over the years I bet he was a genius with his hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭BG2.0

Here's one I made earlier. Took this on the way to Belmullet last Feb. Its a reflection of mountain on lough beltra. I wouldn't be into photography but pulled up on side of road and had to take it. Pass that way often enough with work and doubt I'll see it again!!!

Get that pic blown up and flip it 180 degree and leave somewhere prominent, see who the various bright sparks are to cop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was talking with my cousin there fourth turbo going in to his 151 Opel today. He's fairly annoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I don't think I'll ever come so close to taking out a tooth that's giving me grief as this morning. Fecking agony and I can't even drink coffee as the heat burns like the seven dammed fires of hell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Kovu wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever come so close to taking out a tooth that's giving me grief as this morning. Fecking agony and I can't even drink coffee as the heat burns like the seven dammed fires of hell :mad:

Get ye some clove oil..
    soak a bit of lint free cloth in the clove oil and bite down on it.. will numb it well..

Clove oil was used by dentists to numb patients before the current injections came available, it took me out of bother until something more permanent could be done..

Must see if I can find some later, am using Medijel to numb it for the moment but that tastes like the smell in a doctors surgery. Bleugh.
    Nurofen Plus as well but I keep mixing it up and calling it Noromectin :pac:

Must see if I can find some later, am using Medijel to numb it for the moment but that tastes like the smell in a doctors surgery. Bleugh.
    Nurofen Plus as well but I keep mixing it up and calling it Noromectin :pac:
    brown listerine will numb it also or a few whiskies

whelan2 wrote: »
    brown listerine will numb it also or a few whiskies

No brown Listerine or whiskey in the house. Feck, I'll have to go shopping!

Have clove oil, brown Listerine, Solpadol & more Nurofen :)
    Hope this works or else I'll be knocking myself out by banging my head off the wall, thanks for suggestions!

Clove oil tastes like poop by the way :/

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Hope this works or else I'll be knocking myself out by banging my head off the wall, thanks for suggestions!

Did you ever think of trying the Dentist?:eek::D

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Did you ever think of trying the Dentist?:eek::D

Yea but soonest she could get me in was tomorrow at 11, got a filling in a tooth about two weeks ago and she told me it would be sensitive for a few weeks. I am now hitting the ohmyfreakinggodit'sunbearable-killmenow stage. And I normally take pain fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Tramadol. Possible to amputate your own leg with a couple of those on board.

Dawggone wrote: »

This concoction of bite on clove oil rag- followed by a swig of Listerine to wash out the yuck taste seems to be working though! Or maybe that's the Nurofen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Dawggone wrote: »

Often have to take a handful to counteract old age.....especially after doing something like dipping sheep, brilliant painkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking with my cousin there fourth turbo going in to his 151 Opel today. He's fairly annoyed

What model opel do you know by any chance whelan? ( some engines now have two turbos)

AFAIK they are allowed so many attempts to fix it before you can request money back or new replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What model opel do you know by any chance whelan? ( some engines now have two turbos)

AFAIK they are allowed so many attempts to fix it before you can request money back or new replacement.

was just about to ask same Q. or more important which engine?

eldest daughter is currently looking for scrappage deals for a 161

opel corsa & seat leon diesels are high on her preferences but neither would appeal to me

then it's her money (for a change :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

orm0nd wrote: »

opel corsa & seat leon diesels are high on her preferences but neither would appeal to me

Diesel engines are very complicated now. Might be better to go for petrol if low milage and not very much motorway stints are required.

Like that opel engine, it's probably a shared common engine amongst manufacturers. Fiat supply GM Europe and others with a good few engine models, so that problem could occur with a different manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Diesel engines are very complicated now. Might be better to go for petrol if low milage and not very much motorway stints are required.

Like that opel engine, it's probably a shared common engine amongst manufacturers. Fiat supply GM Europe and others with a good few engine models, so that problem could occur with a different manufacturer.

she's doing between 30 to 40K kms a year , a lot of stop start short runs during the week & a 400 km round trip twice a month

modern cars are over my head, just check the levels & leave all else to the mechanic

• Advertisement

Its an opel astra. He is well fed up. Drives to Ballina from here for work and needs something reliable. He reckons the turbo they put in last week was a reconditioned one that it went so quick again. He said its a new engine and they are having a fair bit of problems with them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement