Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It is very relevant here now with the direction dairying is beng pushed.. Grazing platforms and mobs of cows.

New Zealand the holy grail to the race to produce more, work harder for less money!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Willfarman wrote: »
    It is very relevant here now with the direction dairying is beng pushed.. Grazing platforms and mobs of cows.

New Zealand the holy grail to the race to produce more, work harder for less money!
    Disagree totally.
    Irish Dept of Agri and EU legislation regarding animal welfare is what we (farmers) agree to and abide by - nothing less AND the legislation regarding calf exports/culls has been in place for the last 20 years or so.

I agree that we in the eu are the world leaders in ethical animal production, however the point I'm trying to make is it is important that that we keep our eye on that ball. That's why it's no harm to see articles like this posted here.

I agree that we in the eu are the world leaders in ethical animal production, however the point I'm trying to make is it is important that that we keep our eye on that ball. That's why it's no harm to see articles like this posted here.
    Why so?
    Maybe you agree with groups such as these -
    CIWF http://www.ciwf.ie/farminfo/farmfacts_liveanimals.html
    and
    http://www.aran.ie/arans-blog/new-campaign-launched-in-ireland-to-stop-live-animal-exports-to-middle-east
    if not then ....

Ah I have to join somebody now that I'm out of the ifa!

we have to have a moral compass as farmers. There's a going to be a major squeeze this spring on the dairy boys, themselves that have the extreme jex and Holstein Bulls will be hard pressed to put saleable milk into em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

They also put up articles against live exports :eek:

Ah I have to join somebody now that I'm out of the ifa!

we have to have a moral compass as farmers. There's a going to be a major squeeze this spring on the dairy boys, themselves that have the extreme jex and Holstein Bulls will be hard pressed to put saleable milk into em.
    YES we do have to have a moral compass as farmers and it is role that I'm more than happy to be involved with.
    Unless "us" farmers are prepared to lead by example from the front than how do we expect others to follow in our wake- It's not rocket science.

rangler1 wrote: »
    They also put up articles against live exports :eek:
    Imagine the state of the Nation if that shower got their way and banned live exports :mad:

They seem a nutty bunch... Would appear to be no reasoning with em.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They seem a nutty bunch... Would appear to be no reasoning with em.

The vegan crowd seem to be gaining momentum in dublin as there are loads of thier ads about the place

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    The vegan crowd seem to be gaining momentum in dublin as there are loads of thier ads about the place
    Lots of ads about the place to legalise cannabis, not to pay water charges etc.
    No harm in dreaming - normal people do it at night when asleep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

They're becoming a force in Ireland and have money behind them.
    The internet is uniting them and you only have to go twitter to see that.
    Kids now will believe everything on the internet. We've got to show children how farms are run and how we care for our animals. Dawgone was talking about how he has open days every year. We've got to do something like that here as they don't have a clue what goes on, only what the propaganda they see/ hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    They're becoming a force in Ireland and have money behind them.
    The internet is uniting them and you only have to go twitter to see that.
    Kids now will believe everything on the internet. We've got to show children how farms are run and how we care for our animals. Dawgone was talking about how he has open days every year. We've got to do something like that here as they don't have a clue what goes on, only what the propaganda they see/ hear.

I'm not sure how well that would work...there's one lady I work with that hasn't eaten lamb since I've shown her pics of young lambs. The French are more connected to their food than most urban societies. But we do need to narrow the gap between farmer and consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Often think the vegan/vegetarian crowd should take note of what Homer* said
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals he shouldn't of made them meat flavoured"

* Homer Simpson, not the Greek author/poet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Often think the vegan/vegetarian crowd should take note of what Homer* said
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals he shouldn't of made them meat flavoured"

* Homer Simpson, not the Greek author/poet
    Another thing to be remembered is, ya shouldn't paint all vegetarians with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another thing to be remembered is, ya shouldn't paint all vegetarians with the same brush gravy.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I hope that the irish dairy industry never goes down this route. A disturbing look at the "efficient" NZ dairy industry

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/shocking-video-footage-puts-spotlight-on-new-zealands-dairy-industry/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭visatorro

gonna try get Christmas shopping done today. only buying for herself. was lucky picking a bag last year. wonder how lucky ill be this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

on a similar mission myself today :) Don't forget to get a christmas card! Just as important as the present to some women, as I've found out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    on a similar mission myself today :) Don't forget to get a christmas card! Just as important as the present to some women, as I've found out!!
    Am not fussed here on a present but a card is always good, makes ya feel appreciated(for a while)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

visatorro wrote: »
    gonna try get Christmas shopping done today. only buying for herself. was lucky picking a bag last year. wonder how lucky ill be this year!!

Ah yes, but what was in the bag?:confused:

Did most of ours last week, on Friday:eek: ppl were fit to kill each other for a parking space outside smyths toys. Bah humbug!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't think argos would be known for top quality IMO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »

for the price I can't see them being great , maybe ok for an occasional diyer

btw Halfords had great value on spanners sockets etc, think you can still reserve on line for another day or 2 in fairness halfords kit is good but usually over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭visatorro

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ah yes, but what was in the bag?:confused:

Did most of ours last week, on Friday:eek: ppl were fit to kill each other for a parking space outside smyths toys. Bah humbug!

nothing, was some breed of designer a little birdie told me she liked. she has all of the kiddies stuff got. she said smyths wasn't too bad.
    dunno what the story is Christmas day for dinner. I was kinda hoping it would just be the four of us as inlaws have made plans for a kiddie free Christmas day! but knowing women that will probably change about 15 times between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's an ill wind that blows no good.

My mobile contract is up next month and I rang IFA telecom to see about upgrade but the best they could do was wait till the end of December and charge me 180euro for an S6 and 30 a month for the contract(Vodafone were 200euro and 35/month).

I said I'd leave it till January.

I got a call yesterday offering me an S6 for 140euro and a 30/month contract (for 2 years:().

happy enough with that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was watching Lesser Spotted Journeys on UTV there and it was sponsored by some potato seller crowd, and in their little ad it showed a digger design Id never seen or heard of before, it was like a big version of these paraglider engines:

UKNbJjS.jpg

On the back of an old Massey and the blades were flinging spuds out to the side as they hit the soil, only saw it for a second out of the corner of my eye, anyone know what Im on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This is it
    Potato_digger_demo_200408145397.jpg
    image search

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

potato spinner. great yoke for the small grower with a .05-1 acre. There were a few in every parish years ago but very few households growing that amount of spuds now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats probably it alright it just looked very violent in the split second I saw it, that one looks okay. They musnt have lasted long before the more regular designs came along.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement