Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

With the really significant increase in flights to Malaga, Faro and Palma, do you think there is scope for new routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭TheBetsy

I wouldn't really say the increases on those routes are that significant? Malaga +1, Faro +1/2 and Palma +1 vs last summer

What remains to be seen is if there will still be flights operated by Dublin based aircraft, in '23 Malaga and 1x weekly Faro were operated on a W pattern from DUB. If all those are shifted to a cork a/c it would reduce the capacity of the new a/c to add new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

There were no flights to Malaga last summer and now it is going up to daily. Didn’t they restart it for Winter or am I misremembering? Faro is 6 days a week as far as I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

I use that route about 4 times a year and it's fantastic. I rarely pay over 150 return, often as cheap as 50 return.

I spend some time over at the Nurburgring which is only 45mins away from airport.

I drive my track car over on the rosslare-Dunkirk ferry in April and back again in October and in between I leave it at the airport.

Without this route my calendar really wouldn't work. It's a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Málaga had at least 2 flight per week with AL and 3+ with Ryanair also last year from Cork, throughout summer, it reduced in September.

• Advertisement

Malaga was 6 weekly with Aer Lingus from April to October last year. They didn't run malaga for winter 22/23 (the route was historically a year round route before covid) so a winter restart I guess you could call it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

And return from US via Cork complete. Thankfully, no delays across any flight, so we were in on time and I was off the plane in the door home within an hour. Longest wait was for the taxi...!

Happened to be quiet a number of people on the AMS ORK flight that I recognised from the MSP AMS flight, or, who I overheard mentioning starting out in MSP.

Heading back over again via ORK in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads, on 6am flight in the morning, have just carry on luggage only. I presume there's no point being there much before 5am?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

6am is a surprisingly busy time. There are usually 5+ flights leaving in a 30 minute window. You should be fine arriving at 5 but you're not leaving time for any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Busy time of day alright

• Advertisement

Doesn't boarding typically commence 20-30 mins before the departure time? So you're leaving 30-40 mins to clear security. Looking at tomorrow's departure board, there are 6 flights going before 7am. That would be a not-insignificant amount of people getting through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

All so quite here at the moment. Apart from confirmation of last year's numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whispering1

Yes agree. I suppose all flights are now up on the system for the Summer.

Back to the US via Amsterdam, this time into Orlando.

I was watching Flight Radar like mad as the Mon & Wed versions of my 6am flight to AMS were cancelled. Thankfully the Thurs edition went fine. Asked to check hand luggage due to full flight free of charge. I obliged and it was checked through to final destination. Handy. Learned that security only opens from 4am.

Had a security check prior to boarding at AMS. The lady told me it is because Irish security screening processes aren’t to the standard needed for US bound flights.

MCO immigration way faster than Detroit (for the former I was on my own in the non-US Q, the latter I was in the US Q with my family).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

Looking at booking a flight from Cork via Amsterdam to Zurich next month, KLM giving the option to book with only 40 minutes between flights in Amsterdam, is that a bad idea, especially with checked luggage?

I did a 50 minute connection a couple of years ago, and our from Cork flight left over 30 minutes late!! You should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

40 minutes is tight enough, but I have managed to do it. Usually the Cork flights drop you off at a bus gate but if it is the early flight, passport control should be fine.

I'd go for the 40 minutes unless there was a 60 minute layover option for the same price. I'd also have in my back pocket the times of the subsequent Zurich flights, just so you know how long you would need to wait if you were delayed and they put you on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Nope, it's fine. I never had any bother with it. Even with a small delay, it's still plenty of time. KLM are excellent at connections. Checked luggage also fine. ZHR luggage system works like clockwork, I'm usually appearing in the luggage hall 2 mins before the bag arrives, then a 5 min walk to the train platform. Piece of cake. My only complaint on taking it , is that obviously it's hours longer than the much preferable direct flight, but the times are year are unfortunately very limited from Cork, and the direct Dublin direct flight is at stupid-o-clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Are we expecting any more additions to the summer schedule? Looking to book a trip around August or September and wondering if I might have some more options

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Can you bag drop your luggage when leaving early morning the evening before? Don't find anything UpToDate on their homepage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

I do that on Sunday morning, will let you know how this went.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

In the end I just booked the Dublin flights, it was half the price of connecting and the times weren't too bad. Thanks for the advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Not possible at present - asked Aer Lingus on chat a few weeks ago, was told it was available but when I went to airport the night before flight, all desks were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I see they've gotten rid of the bottles of water for 1 euro and replaced them with paper cartons for 2 euro. Definitely not as appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Did they get rid of the honesty box where you could take a bottle and pay what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nah, that's still there, just you're meant to pay 2 euro now and if you buy it in the duty free area when it's in the fridge, it's 2 euro. I ended up just going to the normal shop in there and paid 3.30 for a 750ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Having gone through the place a few times of late, I do wish they'd open all the entry/exit doors to the terminal. Not sure why they do it l, but It's too busy and also makes it harder to avoid the reams of smokers standing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

They have a refill station though so bring empty bottle and fill it up for free. I know not everyone would remember this but it's a good option for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

There's 3 entrances/exits with 2 sets of double doors to enter the terminal, if the wind is easterly it blows right into the building and it's freezing in there. They set up the doors to try and stop this, the first set will have the right door open and the second will have the left open(or the opposite). It makes a huge difference but it's very poor design from the doors really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

It might make sense to do that during a really cold spell like last month, but other that, there's no reason for it. The place is too hot most of the time in there anyway. A bit of fresh air blowing through would be welcome.

Advertisement