Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Ya same with Alghero (Sardinia) which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

But interesting that Alghero is still up on booking engine (but without dates) whereas they removed East Midlands from list of destinations. Maybe some hope for Alghero yet?

Interesting press release from Aer Lingus. They announce new routes for next summer. They don’t mention Cork at all but what’s even more interesting is they don’t mention Dublin either. They are just assuming everyone knows they mean Dublin. Dublin = Ireland for AerLingus!

I don’t think we will be seeing new routes out of Cork!

Alghero back up and running from April to end of October. Good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TheBetsy

Some more nice news, Air France have seemingly updated their summer schedule, there are twice daily flights on numerous dates for July and August (presumably for Olymics) and Friday and Saturday flights have been upgauged to A319 and A318 respectively.

For EI, it doesn't like they have properly finalised the Cork schedule as there are numerous flights for Malaga, Faro, Palma and Tenerife which are on the system but listed as sold out. Hopefully we will get more good news on that front in the new year.

All in all I think 3m passangers could very well be achievable for 2024?

• Advertisement

Interesting to see EI going effectively year round with Tenerife, especially that Ryanair are now flying there 5 times a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Would love another airline to fly to Paris. Beauvais is an absolute disaster and AF can be a little pricey compared to flights out of Dublin. Competition on the route would be good. Don’t see how AL can justify Shannon but not Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Main reason is that they have an aircraft idling on the ground there that would otherwise be sitting there parked up. There’s 2 A321s that head to New York and Boston and they’d sit on the ground between 6am and 12/1pm if unused so instead one is sent to Heathrow and they’re using the other for the Paris route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Economics101

I don't know whether this has been raised recently, but Cork Airport is effectively owned by the DAA, unlike SHannon, whichc was given independence some years ago. Some of the reasonoing behind this is nonsensical, for example:

https://www.cilt.ie/Portals/0/adam/FAQ%20with%20Categories/E_xaUabAcU6NWDVLYHQEJw/DocumentLink/Public%20Consultation%20on%20the%20Future%20Ownership%20and%20Operation%20of%20Cork%20and%20Shannon%20Airports.pdf

The development of Cork Airport is bound to be subordinated to the interests of the DAA, whihc means Dublin Airport.

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I have thoughts, the DAA is a business and I doubt any half decent business (which we agree the DAA is?) would stifle one entity which the control for another…. Simple fact is aviation is a business and is about making money! If the DAA or an operating airline feel they can make money you bet your ass they’ll try!

The reason SNN is seperate was because of serious lobbying in the Shannon area who believed at the time the DAA was doing them a disservice! Look how that worked out 🤷🏻‍♂️

ORK is in good hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sorry,, but I can't agree. DUB and ORK are potentially competitive, especially for business from a large area somewhere between the two airports. ORK may be in good hands, but these hands may be throttling competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's definitely not a positive for cork to be administered by a group from which the name is evident, that their focus is elsewhere. I don't think the DAA actively stifle cork in any way, however it is clearly not their main focus.

From Shannon's departure from the DAA over 10 years ago we see that it's not particularly going to make the airport flourish, but it can't be any harm either.

The DAA is a massive organisation and Cork a small part of that so i definitely agree Cork will not be centre of focus. But saying that i believe CAA management are fairly independent from the DAA? So can run the day to day and future planning themselves. Also agreed a well run company like DAA wouldn't be into the practice of stifleing a particular enitity for benefit of another and are probably beneficial to Cork from a capital and funding point of view. For example DAA funded the majority of the runway refurbishment. On a separate note in regards to that project I'm at a loss as to why no parallel taxiway built in conjunction but anyway. All in all I believe it might be kind of a mute point, not positive but not a negative either.

One of the biggest things that annoys me is the people on social media saying to give the old terminal to Ryanair and that "they wanted to open a European hub there", what a load of nonsense and couldn't be further from reality.

Makes total sense for them in Shannon. Utilising an Aircraft that would otherwise be sitting on the ground and zero competition to deal with. In Cork if returning to the route they would now be one of three airlines, with Ryanair having better pricing, and AF serving business demand while also having a massive route network from CDG for connections and a better product/service than AL. The Paris route from Cork probably just isn't as lucrative to them as now as years gone by, that being said I'm surprised they're still hanging in there on AMS route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If you renamed the DAA the CAA the vast majority of investment and and expansion would still be in Dublin! Having Dublin in the name doesn’t make a lick of difference to that fact! Cork is growing nicely at the moment and there is nothing to stop it flourishing even further if the demand is there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The name itself DAA dosent sound great from a cork view but would it be succesful without them.It's also worth noting Cork has been successful in attracting other airlines apart from solely dependent on air lingus and Ryanair. Would be great if the could get Iberria express back.

Take out transatlantic Shannon hasn't been successful in getting other airlines to serve part of Europe. Given its location between 2 large urban centres it should be doing better.

Cork is ticking along figures going in the right direction with plenty of room for improvement like extended service on some summer routes and some more year round routes. Agree with previous poster wouldn't be far off 3 million for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 whispering1

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

"We have exciting news coming in January when we will announce our summer schedule which will have good news in terms of return of popular routes together with some new destinations and frequencies,” he said"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Given that Aerlingus still have capacity to announce you’d have to think Lisbon has a great shot at returning. Budapest with Ryanair another possibility?

Also mentioned just under 2.8 million pax expected for 2023 which would make it the busiest year since 2008 and the 4th busiest year ever. 3 million pax projected for 2024 which would be a significant milestone to get over. The 3.25 million record from 2008 could be in scope for 2025?

Aerlingus already have their additional flights up on booking engine (albeit some cant be booked yet). I don’t think there are going to be any *new* routes because the increased frequencies they have on some routes means that the third aircraft is at full capacity (unless you call Malaga and Tenerife new routes because they didn’t run last summer).

There will be increased frequency to Faro, Malaga and Palma de Mallorca. Daily flights to Malaga, which has never happened before I think. They will also be running Tenerife twice a week over summer, which is new. Dropping evening flight to Amsterdam but keeping Dubrovnik.

I would have preferred to see actual new routes rather than additional frequencies tbh

• Advertisement

Ryanair also have their new routes up -Rhodes, Charleroi and Zadar. Cork airport have yet to do a press release on it so presumably these are the new routes that are being announced in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Hopefully they are announced the 1st wk or 2 in January so they are fresh in the minds of people when majority are planning their summer holidays. I'd say the new routes are the ones we already know about for Ryanair. Unless they can get a new airline in or Iberria express back.

Would love to see Tap come on board if Aer Lingus don't bite for Lisbon potential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Personally glad to see Tenerife happening over the Summer. Any idea when the seats will be loaded…. It’s up on the AL site but no timings or prices yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Would be nice if they'd give a little update on how the tendering is going (if it has even started) for the security scanner upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Does anyone know what PAX numbers are like for the Frankfurt and Paris (AirFrance) flights? It would be great to see those go year round in 2024, and Zurich

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair also doing it and have their prices/times up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Yes.. but timings out of Cork at 2000hrs are terrible.

so was gonna sit it out to see what AL come in at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, booked Zurich through Amsterdam in recent days, very annoying to have to do it. And about to book a whole family trip to Berlin out of Dublin. I find the lack of a Cork Berlin flight for about 18 years a real mystery when you see some of the cities that have had routes in the meantime

For a route to work, you need two way traffic. For whatever reason, Germany has never been high on the list of holiday destinations for Irish people. A real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Apart from Hahn to Kerry which exists solely for business, seems to be a route completely out of touch with reality, but it works.

Advertisement