Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Don't recall anyone saying that people with kids or those over 66 are immune from criticism.

A general observation - I wonder would people (not exclusively you Beer Rev) be quite as forthright if the discussion was in person. I usually try give people the benefit of the doubt online and convey some sense of empathy, even in a disagreement.

And with that, I'm outta here for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Can we get back to the main topic please that be it all things Cork airport, routes facilities, wishes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

So in order to get from Dublin to cork your point is that it has to be heavily researched in advanced.

even if they had booked the train, they would have missed it.

even if they had booked the bus, they would have missed that too.

They were held up on the plane on the ground. Delayed landing or getting off flights is common in ANY airport. Many air- travellers don’t pre-book seats on trains for this reason.

tourists, colleagues, my family and even I have managed to feck up getting from Dublin airport to cork. It’s a balls of a place to get out of, and the M50 is in the way.

Anyone who has sat on that bus for hours with the toilet (single) locked because someone vomitted all over it won’t get on it again. It’s not snobbery, it’s learning from experience. Quit the sneers.

perhaps instead of lashing out lazy insults about how everyone who hasn’t poured over confusing systems weeks in advance are idiots, we could consider taking the point, there could be something actually improved with the transport system?

it’s not clear, it’s not intuitive.

It should be both.

Is that honestly controversial?

I’m actually perplexed that it’s acceptable to people.

Am I literally the only one who mentions this to representatives when they bring up Dublin airport as an alternative to Cork?

Yes, people suffer from nausea and vomitting on the coach. I’ve been on it when there were people who unfortunately suffered badly with it. It effectively put the loo out of order and smelled awful. Anyone who relies on an available bathroom can’t take that coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

You guys got very unlucky, so. As I said, I get it twice a week and have yet to ever have an issue with it. The bathroom is always perfect other than not having toilet roll on one of my trips this week (and once part of the wall hiding cables became loose). Maybe I just manage to get really lucky every week to miss the bad buses? Anyway, this is wildly off topic

• Advertisement

I look at it a different way again... rather than looking down my nose and calling older people snobs, I listen to what they have to say and take it on.

It's difficult to climb onto those high coaches and get off again when you have any reduced mobility, like a sore hip, a bad back, or a little dizziness or less than perfect vision. And you also often need bathrooms.

I don't know if you've ever travelled with someone in a wheelchair, or a with a bad hip or back, but it's far easier on a train. You don't need the bus driver to get off and help you, you can be completely independent, rather than having a bus load of people rolling their eyeballs at you and huffing and puffing because they are late and you're slow, or worse , being completely humiliated because you have some kind of intermittent incontinence and the bus toilet is inaccessible. I think it's reasonable that people want a little dignity.

Clueless as to how it actually works is a really odd statement here, because in my experience, it actually means very well clued in to how it actually works, and actively avoiding the options which they know don't work for them, from experience.

My parents use buses all the time in the city, and used the train this time, they are huge public transport advocates, but a 3+ hour coach is simply not appropriate. As it isn't for many people, both visiting and living here, for many reasons. And yet when I give that example they are called stupid, naieve and snobs. They are none of those things, but this is the attitude. God forbid they were a tourist!

Or maybe, the way I should look at it, is that we create barriers for visitors and people who aren't local or who aren't in the 25-60 age bracket , or who are not at 100% health and mobility, so we can feel very smug about ourselves altogether when they can't figure it out instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TheBetsy

Jesus lads take it elsewhere please...

In on topic discussion. 2024 route map was released last night. Looks like just the three new destinations for S24 (Charleroi, Zadar and Rhodes).

Absolutely delighted to drop Dublin being considered a viable alternative to Cork Airport. :D

Thanks for the map. I wish this route map was a little bit less disingenuous. Maybe colour-coded to show where the flights are a year-round scheduled service, rather than a few months, or weeks.

How do you see the schedules typically? I use skyscanner, but maybe there is a better way. That Cork Munich flight for example, I think it's air lingus, but I can see only 4 flights visible for the whole year? Am I looking on the wrong airline? And I can't find any airline that does Cork Salsburg direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

Cork - Salzburg is Aer Lingus - a few flights during the ski season, probably charters like the ones to Lyon & Verona. Cork - Munich is Aer Lingus - it used be bookable but it was a very short season.

I think it's a good point about illustrating the frequency. Of course when you look deeper you see how the Ryanair times fluctuate wildly depending on the day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In my opinion, GoBus is better.

Nicer coaches and usually not as busy as the Aircoach in my experience.

I've gotten the AirCoach or GoBus to Dublin, perhaps 20 times or so in the past year or two, mainly for work, and never had an issue tbh.

Buses are on time, and clean. Just bring a jumper as it can be a little cold on them. I see people of all ages and creed on them. Non-nationals use them a lot I found, as they are much better value than the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes I think a coloured graphic showing the seasons would be helpful too.

As has been posted, much of the detail is available on the airport website, albeit not all in one nice graphic like this.

Cork-Munich is ski season, weekly. Salzburg is another ski flight albeit chartered, I think by Topflight. If you call them they can sometimes sell you seats outside of the holiday.

On a related note, Cork-Munich used to be very frequent many years ago, it's a shame to see it down to once a week.

They were held up on the plane on the ground. Delayed landing or getting off flights is common in ANY airport. Many air- travellers don’t pre-book seats on trains for this reason.

That is why people get the bus, as there is an Express Bus to Cork every 30 minutes, which for your parents is free. Great value tbh.

There is a bus from the Airport to Heusten every 20 minutes, it was called the 747 but I think it's changed. From what I gather there are plans to have hourly train trips to Cork from Dublin, so perhaps booking a seat is no longer needed shortly, but one can also book flexi fares. Again though, off-peak if your parents rocked up, they would be able to get it for free.

As far as I know (correct please if I am wrong) pensioners in these places you mention that have fantastic Public Transport pay for their fares.

In Ireland, your parents can get from Cork to Dublin airport and return, for free. It just may warrant 5-10 minutes to check out the options.

Clueless as to how it actually works is a really odd statement here, because in my experience, it actually means very well clued in to how it actually works, and actively avoiding the options which they know don't work for them, from experience.

My parents use buses all the time in the city, and used the train this time, they are huge public transport advocates, but a 3+ hour coach is simply not appropriate. As it isn't for many people, both visiting and living here, for many reasons. And yet when I give that example they are called stupid, naieve and snobs. They are none of those things, but this is the attitude. God forbid they were a tourist!

In fairness, no one called your parents stupid or snobs. I have to set the record straight on that.

And lastly, if your parents were going to get on a plane in Dublin, then many of those mobility issues perhaps don't affect them.

Of course, there are edge cases with people with more limited mobility, where other forms of transport may suit, but you didn't categorise your parents as one of them.

Lastly, your parents are free to choose what means to get to Dublin airport as they wish, there are several options available to them.

All I am saying is that it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. You say a 3+ hour bus journey isn't feasible. But a 45-minute bus journey to Dublin City, and then a 2.30-hour train journey is. Fine, but if one is going to rely on multiple modes of public transport to get from A to B, then perhaps 5-10 minutes checking out timetables and the like would be wise. They can assess the different options and choose one that suits them best. It is a free country after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

no lisbon? come on for god sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can't help but be disappointed that route map. Cork needs links to places like Berlin, Madrid, Lisbon, Munich on a year-round basis if they want it to grow any further. The lack of Berlin and Lisbon is particularly poor.

Also seems like Ryanair are cutting frequency of UK routes over the Summer. Trying to book a UK flight for August and there's less option then compared with now. Shocking flight times too, a lot of them arrive back or depart at crazy times. Not just the UK either, I see some of the Tenerife flights depart at 8:30pm, not arriving until almost 1am in Spain. Mad times

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I see mention of Salzburg. I’ve regularly travelled there from Cork booking flights only on Tuiholidays website. I dont think many people know about this option (albeit Winter only). Aerlingus fly the route as charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

^^this is the big problem for regionals a lot of people don't know about such an options

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair are using a lot of Canary Island based planes for these routes now which is disappointing. It's not so much about "loosing a day" but arriving so so late (too late to hire a car etc) and the alternative is that you come home at 6am which ruins the last night of a holiday. It's the same for the Knock or Shannon flights this year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw on one of the vms about delays tomorrow, imagine it's a tractor protest.

https://waterford-news.ie/2024/02/23/cork-farmers-to-protest-at-mondays-county-council-meeting/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Anyone have access to the plans. Will they build out or in to the existing areas on the mezzanine?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The Request For Tender has been issued for the new mezzanine by DAA for Cork Airport. European Dynamics - View CfT Workspace

The documents are available here" European Dynamics - Notice & Contract Documents

You can get a good idea of the plans from the project scope in the documents:

The scope of this work package comprises the main design and build works to provide for C3 security technology at Cork Airport. The scope of this Competition includes, but is not limited to the following:

• Mezzanine extension over arrivals area, (extent to be confirmed at RFT stage) that can accommodate the required number of C3 equipment lanes.
    • New security screening area will be located at the Northern end of the Terminal Building. When screened, all passengers will route through the retail area. The new retail area will comprise of the existing retail area plus the re-purposed old security area.
    • The old screening area will be modified to provide an enclosed area that will be delivered as shell and core with MEP service provisions for a future detailed retail fit out via a separate project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Excellent. Good to see this going ahead. Big enough project, but will make Cork airport even easier than it is now. Those new machines are gamechangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

GREAT NEWS !

How frequent was it last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 fjr13

7 per week. The increase is only for July and August. To coincide with the Olympics I'd imagine

Advertisement