Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Generally agree but think Berlin as a weekend destination would be different. It is one of the great international cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

That Zürich - cork one via Amsterdam has been unreliable through December. I use that route a lot for work and the ams cork leg is not ideal. It’s been delayed quite a bit , cancelled (hello sleeping on the floor of Schipol), and worst of all, diverted to Dublin.

Trying Dublin Basel direct later in January , at least the times avoid an overnight. I also go through Heathrow or Paris.

frankfurt Kerry is an option, can train to Frankfurt too.

There is so much business traffic, the flights are jammed, I feel like it’s a work bus some days I know so many people on the same routes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

Bit of a mystery alright that Ryanair have never had flights between anywhere in Germany and Cork. At one point before covid, they had two German routes from Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

the aim is for 3 million this year. Some improvements to the terminal too coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It has. I was stuck on the one that was 6 hours late leaving Cork..

Freezing fog and/or direct westerly winds at Schiphol. The former reduces capacity to about 10 flights per hour, the latter reduces capacity as Schiphol only has one westerly runwway.

Also the direct westerly storms in Cork caused problems.

Edit: Why a floor sleep? No hotels available? I just book one and claim back off KLM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭thomil

That's what I did when my flight back to Cork went tech in AMS back in October '23. Didn't even leave airside, just booked a cabin in the airside capsule hotel at the airport, Yotel. Submitted my claim together with my EU compensation claim the very next day and got paid back in a little over a week.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

I've a claim in with them since 1 December (a period of extensive cancellations to/from Schiphol) and it's still pending. Logged it with IAA this morning to see if it would be expedited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

If my experience with the IAA is anything to go by, it won't.

I had a pretty wretched experience with a cancelled flight we were never notified of by Aer Lingus. Lodged an EU compensation claim which was denied. Appealed through IAA. Radio silence for months. Had to go via Conor Pope of the Irish Times to get a resolution, ha. Made funnier still by the fact that months after it had been resolved via Conor Pope, the IAA emails me to say the case had been resolved and I'll get my compensation (which was already paid to me, months before).

Flying Cork to Amsterdam, for a connecting flight on to the US on Friday, and then back to Cork again through Amsterdam. Similar itinerary at end of month. Both excited to be able to use Cork / experience new airports, but also nervy especially with the above talk of delays / cancellations at Amsterdam.

In my experience, it doesn't happen too often. I've flown through Schiphol *checks flight log* 59 times so far since 2014, both with KLM and Aer Lingus, and the incident in October was only the second time I've had any issues. The first time was a cancellation because of freezing fog here in Cork back in 2016. It is still my transfer airport of choice whenever I can manage it.

Good to know - some reassurance so.

We (family, including two kids under 2.5 years old) have a 4 hour layover before out flight over to the US. Found out Schiphol has a "free baby lounge" with baby cots, changing mats etc which is a real bonus for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

There's an unreal amount of German nationals who live in Kerry, particularly around the Kenmare area. It has become like a retirement destination so that probably helps sustain the viability of the Kerry:Hahn route along with many German tourists loving to visit the South West. The Kerry Berlin route would have stayed as it had the passenger loads but Ryanair got into a dispute with the airport in Berlin over charges so pulled out in classic Ryanair style.

Happened to do Kerry / Hahn over the Christmas period too - was fierce handy and sure bet the drive to and from & the longer wait in Dublin. Plane was near full on both legs of the journey. Only quibble was that the London flight is schedule quite close to the Hahn flight, so the departure gate at Kerry was jammed.

There's also the airport library on "Holland Boulevard" between Lounges 2 & 3, where you can find loads of seating, charge points and which is separate from the main passenger stream to a certain degree. I think that's right next to the baby lounge, though I'm not certain about that. In that same area, you can (or at least could) also find some interactive science exhibits and a play area and even a branch of the famous Rijksmuseum. So there should be plenty to keep the kids busy and give you some things to check out as well. Also, large glass windows to watch the planes. You'll be right between piers E & F there, which are the two piers that see most of Schiphol's long-haul traffic, so you shouldn't have to walk more than 15 minutes to your gate in either case.

In any other situation you'd think "departure gate" in the singular was a typo, but no this is Kerry airport 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

And Kerry has a huge attraction for the German who wants an active holiday. They love to walk the National Parks, drive the Wild Atlantic Way, eat in quaint pubs etc. That’s why the HHN flight is popular to Kerry. It’s been going for at least 15++ years now

a

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Germans have a strange obsession with Kerrygold, also surprisingly contributes to inbound tourism. I've often been asked about Co.Kerry by Germans.

Ah, very good - plenty to do to keep the 2.5 year old entertained so whilst the baby can enjoy the baby lounge with mom...!

What's the general consensus on arrival time to Cork, prior to a string of connecting flights like our itinerary? Would 2 hours prior to departure (to allow for getting the tickets, checking all the baby gear etc etc) be too much? What time do the desks / security open?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I did 90mins with baby last week.

By the time checked in at desk and got tags for the buggy and then through security, prepared baby for flight it was all just about on time.

I think 2 hours is perfect if you need to feed yourself or the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Bit of an Olympic bounce in the summer

https://x.com/eicknews/status/1743028799220879808?s=20

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good to see. I'm heading to Paris for the Olympics in August so I can already make a provisional plan in my head. Prices are currently about €350 return, I reckon they probably won't dip much lower than that?

• Advertisement

Could be some good KLM/Air France deals going. Head out through Amsterdam and head back through Paris. Everyone will be going TO Paris and not from Paris to Cork.

Well, first leg out to US done via Cork for the first time.

2 hrs prior to departure was good timing. There was a complication with our infant ticket, so we wasted time on that. Ended up resolving it at the transfer desk in Amsterdam. But still had comfortable time to check bags, clear security, have a small breakfast and a feed for the baby

Layover in Amsterdam was fine. 4 hours became more like 3 hours between deplaning / boarding an hour before the flight for US flight. Didn’t end up seeing the park etc. Baby lounge was useful, even if the kids didn’t actually nap

Of course the main disadvantage of not using Dublin was no preclearance. But at the border, they let us all (US citizen spouse & kids) go through the US line so moved pretty quickly. Heading back to Ireland and then back over in a few weeks, but into Orlando and on my own so will be different!

Our original fares were hand luggage only, but we upgraded for big checked bags. At check in, they seemed to be asking people to check hand luggage and they seemed to be checking them through to final destination. fyi as it was a Q I had

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I often find the pre clearance bit is a bit of a funny one. Been to the US maybe 4 times in the past 5 years, only Orlando did I have a long wait and that was maybe 45 mins. And you often hear of people waiting that long in Dublin to go through security.

I think it's just a psychological thing where you don't want to be waiting once you've landed

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

We flew KLM Cork to Ft Lauderdale - immigration was in Detroit and it was almost instantaneous, no waiting at all

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'd say if the more typical point of international entry airports like JFK, LAX, SFO and Miami with dozens of daily arriving international flights are avoided, immigration queues aren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

Claim came through at the weekend. Doubt it was IAA related though ...

One good thing about going via KLM is that Schiphol is designed to be a transfer airport and the airline is designed for that. Going out the last time we made our onward gate in 15mins and around the same on the return journey. None of the Heathrow mess acting with having to get a bus between terminals.

Schiphol is a great airport to transit through, easily the best of them but it is far more prone to disruption than other airports I find. That said, KLM are very good when it comes to dealing with the disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TheBetsy

Looks like a few updates made today to Aer Lingus schedule

Looks like 3rd aircraft will indeed be back, eg. On Monday mornings for sale currently there is 6am Amsterdam, 6.40am Tenerife and 7.20am LHR. Therefore requiring 3 based a/c.

Still looks like a work on progress tbf, so hopefully they can finalise by the end of the week. A new or returning route or 2 would be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not bad prices and better than crap Ryanair schedule and their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TheBetsy

Nothing worse than thinking you've found good flights with Ryanair and then realise the flight is at 9pm and the return to Cork is at something awful like 5.45 am!

Advertisement