Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Jlaff wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on a welger rp 220 vs a John Deere 578? A local contractor is selling both at the end of the season for similar money. The 578 has 40k bales on the clock and the 220 has around 45k.

Rp 220 any day. Is it a profi, xtra cut or farmer ? A friend of mine had the JD equivalent. Good baler but our 220 would leave it sitting in the field. They were always doing bearings and chain but I think that was their own doing as they were rough enough on it.

Jlaff wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I wonder does the netter give much trouble on the welger rp220?
    Mchale would be out of my price range for all I would use it.

Netter is fool proof. Just make sure the knife is changed before you buy. Bit of a pain loading in the netting but it will work away fine. I used take rolls of our co op that fellas returned because it wouldn’t work in their baler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

I would have used both balers back 15 years or so. Give me the John Deere any day. I don't ever remember a bearing going, they are greaseable.
    If there was a nick on the net roller it would wrap around, a bit of talcum powder solved that.

The Welger had a bigger appetite but the 220 were soft compared to the 200 that came before them. I often threw out 600 bales of silage in a day using the John Deere without any issues.

On the back door, I used only open it enough so that the bale fell out and there was never an issue with it. No need to go the full stroke of the rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jlaff

It’s a profi.

What part of them was soft?

I’m going to look over both again this weekend and hopefully make a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 zfml

220 Profi.
    Check all grease lines are going to bearings.
    Check bearing at top, on sprocket side (where door is hinged) to make sure grease line is going into it. (and the zerk at the top is only for the hinge part, not the bearing) (ours got starved with no grease line going in and door nearly came off).

With rear door open, check inside of chamber at the bottom (just at bottom roller). Ours rotted away and the sides spread. Grass collects when door is closed and if not cleaned out at end of season..

Check rear door latches to make sure they are all ok. (and the parts that mount to the rear door).

Make sure the computer is ok and screen is visible. You'll want to be able to adjust density for hay/silage.

Check pickup reel. Grab tines and try and move tine bar. There should not be much play.
    Check to see how bands are secured. The bolts holding them on shear off. Tek screws won't hold the bands good enough. Its a case of take off reel, weld, drill and tap. (and on profi one of the threaded hole goes into a box iron, so no welding a nut the other side.)

We put large wheels off a slurry tanker on ours. Made a great job of it. When stuck in wet ground the wheels would just drag.

• Advertisement

What do people charge for loading, hauling and stacking bales. Roughly a mile draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What do people charge for loading, hauling and stacking bales. Roughly a mile draw.

Is it the easiest thing to charge an hourly rate for that kinda work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is it the easiest thing to charge an hourly rate for that kinda work ?

Yeah per hour. Roughly anything from €50 to €60

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah per hour. Roughly anything from €50 to €60

Sounds the fairest. Where I was, was slow going with rough fields and a rough yard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

A lad locally here is €2.50 for drawing and then €1 for stacking on those type of draws. He uses a Wilson supermove 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Have 2 fellas that helped us out this year. 1 was charging 45 per hour and the other is charging 45 plus VAT

Moving bales is outrageously expensive, especially when they have to go up on a trailer. Typically you are looking at a load per hour when you have a couple of mile draw, say 15 bales on a load means its 3 euro per bale to move them. It makes the bale insanely expensive. And if you were strapping each bale down as your supposed to then god knows how much more expensive it would be.

Having them beside the yard makes it a lot cheaper - we were baling and moving 45 an hour beside the yard and that brings it down to a much more paletable euro per bale

Moving bales is the biggest problem with them - we try to stack the vast majority now in outyards and just move as needed in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Panch18 wrote: »
    Have 2 fellas that helped us out this year. 1 was charging 45 per hour and the other is charging 45 plus VAT

Moving bales is outrageously expensive, especially when they have to go up on a trailer. Typically you are looking at a load per hour when you have a couple of mile draw, say 15 bales on a load means its 3 euro per bale to move them. It makes the bale insanely expensive. And if you were strapping each bale down as your supposed to then god knows how much more expensive it would be.

Having them beside the yard makes it a lot cheaper - we were baling and moving 45 an hour beside the yard and that brings it down to a much more paletable euro per bale

Moving bales is the biggest problem with them - we try to stack the vast majority now in outyards and just move as needed in winter
    I'd rather be getting the lad without the vat in future. Vat is a killer when you can't get it back .

mengele wrote: »
    I'd rather be getting the lad without the vat in future. Vat is a killer when you can't get it back .

Oh we normally do get the without VAT guy - he's some fella to move bales in fairness to him, and I don't think he's holed a bale yet.

But we had 300 to move, the weather wasn't great and couldn't get the regular guy so to be honest I was glad to pay the VAT to yer man

But VAT is some killer on top of jobs - it's a real kick in the balls on top

Oh we normally do get the without VAT guy - he's some fella to move bales in fairness to him, and I don't think he's holed a bale yet.

But we had 300 to move, the weather wasn't great and couldn't get the regular guy so to be honest I was glad to pay the VAT to yer man

But VAT is some killer on top of jobs - it's a real kick in the balls on top

To be honest you have to pay vat

To be honest you have to pay vat

you do if the guy is registered - but our bale fella is probably under the threshold for registering

I'm just saying that it adds some amount to costs of getting stuff done

you do if the guy is registered - but our bale fella is probably under the threshold for registering

I'm just saying that it adds some amount to costs of getting stuff done

From the FCI meetings of late you'll shortly have to have invoices for everything in the near future in order to claim off your tax at end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

From the FCI meetings of late you'll shortly have to have invoices for everything in the near future in order to claim off your tax at end of year

This has always been the case. You need an invoice to be sure of surviving an audit in fairness.

I think the whole contractor system is gone a bit mad. From what I can see most contractor's business models are completely unsustainable.

In my lifetime (and I'm only in my mid thirties) the usual contractors tractor has gone from a 100hp Ford 7600 (Or maybe the odd 3040) to some enormous 300hp Fendt. The harvester has gone from a Mengele to a 1000hp monster, and the mowers have gone from Deere 1360 to a big X. On average everything is 3x the size it was in the early 90's. I don't think there is 3x the amount of work being done, but there are far fewer contractors.

Farmers have massive expectations, but don't want to play their part in financing this mad gear and no one wants to engage in the glorified slavery of driving for these guys. All this gear and expense is for a very low value product; mere grass. While hauliers might have €1m worth of stock in the back of Scania, our good contractors are using €300k machines to horse €300 of grass around the place.

I honestly think there needs to be a rowing back from the big outfits to a more collaborative system of machinery ownership. At the end of the day, few farmers need to be able to cut more than 60 ac a day. It would make more sense if the smaller farmers grouped together and hired their time and machinery, but probably won't do it as they will prefer fooling around with a few sucklers or sheep.

maidhc wrote: »
    This has always been the case. You need an invoice to be sure of surviving an audit in fairness.

I think the whole contractor system is gone a bit mad. From what I can see most contractor's business models are completely unsustainable.

In my lifetime (and I'm only in my mid thirties) the usual contractors tractor has gone from a 100hp Ford 7600 (Or maybe the odd 3040) to some enormous 300hp Fendt. The harvester has gone from a Mengele to a 1000hp monster, and the mowers have gone from Deere 1360 to a big X. On average everything is 3x the size it was in the early 90's. I don't think there is 3x the amount of work being done, but there are far fewer contractors.

Farmers have massive expectations, but don't want to play their part in financing this mad gear and no one wants to engage in the glorified slavery of driving for these guys. All this gear and expense is for a very low value product; mere grass. While hauliers might have €1m worth of stock in the back of Scania, our good contractors are using €300k machines to horse €300 of grass around the place.

I honestly think there needs to be a rowing back from the big outfits to a more collaborative system of machinery ownership. At the end of the day, few farmers need to be able to cut more than 60 ac a day. It would make more sense if the smaller farmers grouped together and hired their time and machinery, but probably won't do it as they will prefer fooling around with a few sucklers or sheep.

I'm working off that kinda model. 140hp machine here and shes plenty big enough. All my machines are moderate size. Paired up with a few lads where I provide mowing and raking for them and I'll get them baling jobs. More versatility with us rather than one man doing it all type of outfit

Another addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Another addition.
    What does it do. It looks like a turnip seeder of some kind but your not into veg so I presume it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

Base price wrote: »
    What does it do. It looks like a turnip seeder of some kind but your not into veg so I presume it's not.

Air seeder for the harrow I’d say.

Airseeder for the powerharrow. For sowing grass and the likes. Will look like this eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Airseeder for the powerharrow. For sowing grass and the likes. Will look like this eventually
    From memory you had a yellow one before. Is this new one the bees knees :)
    Also is that a camera on it to see how much seed is used/left.

From memory you had a yellow one before. Is this new one the bees knees :)
    Also is that a camera on it to see how much seed is used/left.

Have the APV aswell. The APV would be fancier than this one. It's more of a robust one for the powerharrow as it's more mechanical than electronic

Some pics of the 6-140C so far this year

Some more

Last ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was just remarking how clean you were keeping her in the first batch of pics.....then I started on the second batch... :eek: ;)

Fine looking tractor! She doesn't seen to be idle anyway.. What's the difference between the C and H in those models?

hopeso wrote: »
    I was just remarking how clean you were keeping her in the first batch of pics.....then I started on the second batch... :eek: ;)

Fine looking tractor! She doesn't seen to be idle anyway.. What's the difference between the C and H in those models?

That was the bloody lime from reseeding. Got bloody everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭hopeso

That was the bloody lime from reseeding. Got bloody everywhere

I'd say lime spreading must be the worst job ever... Any time I see someone spreading, my first thought is, what state is the tractor in....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement