Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You get the stem broken as it goes through the conditioner which aids wilting. But then it's often left in rows which doesn't help. I cut with a non conditioner and ted it out nearly right after. Going through the tedder will break the stem a bit too and spreads the crop out a bit as well. Find it works great (and gives the father something to do so he feels involved in the whole show which is an added plus)

Has he settled into the Valtra any bit better yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Valtra?? Don't insult the man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

JeanLucPicard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Valtra?? Don't insult the man :)

Ah feck it, thinking of one thing while writing another.

Fendt.

(Isn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fendt.

(Isn't it?)

Leyland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Fendt.

(Isn't it?)

Tis indeed. It's affectionately known as Trent around my way
    Leyland ;)
    Have one of them too. Grand machine too and does it's few jobs around the place when required. Gonna be reddened tomorrow drawing clay
    He doesn't do much on the FENDT (Valtra ya know, FFS). He keeps telling people he doesn't even know how to start it and ya'd need a degree to use it. Boils my piss when he starts that craic. He doesn't do any real work with it, but will drive around the yard and do a few bits with the loader when required. But for bigger jobs I get summoned home to pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Another thing Hse bods now want to see on farms is record keeping regards machine maintenace. A large farm in Sw Uk last year had a newish tractor's brakes on a steep bank with a load of silage causing it to run away and drop into sunken lane.
    The gps unit linked up to the manufacturers telimetrics recorded the staff skid testing trailers on that tractor by pure chance, with the company and management facing jail and unlimited fines for corporate manslaughter.

Another thing Hse bods now want to see on farms is record keeping regards machine maintenace. A large farm in Sw Uk last year had a newish tractor's brakes on a steep bank with a load of silage causing it to run away and drop into sunken lane.
    The gps unit linked up to the manufacturers telimetrics recorded the staff skid testing trailers on that tractor by pure chance, with the company and management facing jail and unlimited fines for corporate manslaughter.
    That'll be a maintenance book for each tractor then left on the tractor.

I see my own 2010 tractor the digital clock reads zero when you start her up and sometimes if she's going a while the correct time will come up. Other times it's way off. I'm thinking it's linked somewhere to some satellite or other.

All these gps units you nearly need to be wrapping them in tin foil now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d don’t understand. What does the staff skid testing trailers have to do with the management facing jail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Odelay wrote: »
    I’d don’t understand. What does the staff skid testing trailers have to do with the management facing jail?

Ag has 18x's as many deaths as industry and hse are starting to put away the carrots. In court the farm said how they'd serviced everything and checks had been carried out on the equipment, Judge said ye but prove it
    The gps recording the sharp acceleration/deacceleration action around the confines of the yard was the only bit of evidence they had as things weren't written down and dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Ag has 18x's as many deaths as industry and hse are starting to put away the carrots. In court the farm said how they'd serviced everything and checks had been carried out on the equipment, Judge said ye but prove it
    The gps recording the sharp acceleration/deacceleration action around the confines of the yard was the only bit of evidence they had as things weren't written down and dated.

RSA clamping down to.fcuk around here too....i know a place what sent trucks in for a pre-DOE check and failed because bald tyres/blown bulbs

This caused a full RSA inspection on all their 20 or so trucks as it showed up on their computer than morning walk around inspections werent being done......i could fill several pages of how much they clamping down on trucks since start this year alone

The same is coming down road for tractors etc (personally feel its both a good and bad thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The RSA call out here every year. They pulled oh up that he hadn't filled in his 6 month check test. He brings his trailers in for pre tests. An awful lot of paperwork tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jlaff

Anyone any thoughts on a welger rp 220 vs a John Deere 578? A local contractor is selling both at the end of the season for similar money. The 578 has 40k bales on the clock and the 220 has around 45k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jlaff wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on a welger rp 220 vs a John Deere 578? A local contractor is selling both at the end of the season for similar money. The 578 has 40k bales on the clock and the 220 has around 45k.

Can't really comment on that JD. I'd be biased from the older ones I used to see in this area (which were mainly 5X4's belt balers). Welgers would have been the only show in town back then as regards silage if you wanted to do any serious numbers of bales.

I'd say an important consideration might be ease of getting parts. It has been a bit more difficult to get parts for the Welgers the last few years. Fellas who used to sell them had then taken off them with the switch to Lely. I think that Lely are now themselves under Agco and more or less rebranded now as MF (although I think there is also a Fendt baler under them too). I don't know whether this is universal but a fella we bought Welgers off no longer does them and neither do some of the next closest (geographically) competitors who used to do them.....he'll still get the parts in alright, he just won't tend to have them in stock.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about spares for either. There seems to a lot of these been broken for spares around and I’m told the lely/Massey dealer near me still sells welger parts.
    I seen both of these baling yesterday in the same field. Both made good bales. I would be leaning towards the 578 since it’s a bit newer do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have a Deere 575 for the past 8 years. I think it is a great baler. It makes very solid bales, and has pretty decent throughput for a 20 year old machine. The 578 is very similar in design; indeed mine got a 578 rear door at some stage in its life and a few 578 rollers which are of stronger design than the 575.

Faults:
    • Can be hard to bale very dry hay/straw as the bale can stop turning
    • Rear door can come loose in them and it gets strained (hence the 578 door on mine)
    • bits can break off the rotor and the comb, but easily fixed
    • Has a reversing rotor to unblock, which should be treated with the greatest of respect or the gearbox could be destroyed
    • Known to go on fire if the bearing under the auto oiler tank heats

I only do about 1000 bales a year, but it does the trick admirably and makes a very solid bale.

Thanks for the reply. I would do around a 1000 every year as well. I try to get a few hundred in hay if I can so trouble with hay might be a problem. I heard something before that the gearbox/shafts can give trouble on the 578

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Guy beside me has a 575 and it makes a great bale.
    Bit of hassle with the rubber roller that feeds the net wrap this year, its getting worn.
    He mentioned something about a dusting of talcum powder to solve the problem?

Thanks for the reply. I would do around a 1000 every year as well. I try to get a few hundred in hay if I can so trouble with hay might be a problem. I heard something before that the gearbox/shafts can give trouble on the 578

I made 155 bales of dry hay on Thursday evening, only once did the bale stop so I don't think it is a huge issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

maidhc wrote: »

I have a Deere 575 for the past 8 years. I think it is a great baler. It makes very solid bales, and has pretty decent throughput for a 20 year old machine. The 578 is very similar in design; indeed mine got a 578 rear door at some stage in its life and a few 578 rollers which are of stronger design than the 575.

Faults:
    • Can be hard to bale very dry hay/straw as the bale can stop turning
    • Rear door can come loose in them and it gets strained (hence the 578 door on mine)
    • bits can break off the rotor and the comb, but easily fixed
    • Has a reversing rotor to unblock, which should be treated with the greatest of respect or the gearbox could be destroyed
    • Known to go on fire if the bearing under the auto oiler tank heats

I only do about 1000 bales a year, but it does the trick admirably and makes a very solid bale.

Lad i work for has been running a 578 for the last 10 years or so.

Never had an issue in hay with it stopping turning.
    Hinge broke on the back door and nearly came off.
    Never had issue with the rotor but was told they were fond of bearings .
    Gearbox blew in one . The reverse on the gearbox is known as an issue on them.
    Someone gets blocked. Stops machine . Puts in reverse. Clears blockage. Puts in forward and drives on. Forgets to turn off reverse and the next time they lift the reel put it in reverse at full tilt.
    The net is one which causes trouble.
    Some makes of net just wont feed through and wraps around the rubber roller. Talcun powder or furniture polish helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

575's and 578's were very common around here one time. They practically disappeared after the arrival of McHale balers. I never owned or operated one, but from what I've heard they gave enough trouble. I think the netter was probably the worst of it.

hopeso wrote: »
    575's and 578's were very common around here one time. They practically disappeared after the arrival of McHale balers. I never owned or operated one, but from what I've heard they gave enough trouble. I think the netter was probably the worst of it.

Tama works perfect I find. I have never tried anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

New arrival....

jaymla627 wrote: »
    New arrival....

I'd say a ceasarian was needed for that!! :D

Well may she wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

New arrival....

Well wear with her

Did you have a front loader before or is she replacing similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Panch18 wrote: »
    Well wear with her

Did you have a front loader before or is she replacing similar?

Have a loader on t6 140, needed something to speed up feeding/loading fert and free tractor up for diet feeder, she”ll be pushing up silage as well so won’t be idle....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

hopeso wrote: »

The contractor I used to work for ran 575's and 578s for years but moved over to McHale when they came out. The McHale is a superior machine no doubt but the 578 would be a fine farmer-owned baler nowadays that wouldn't break the bank.

I used to sprinkle a bit of hay dust on the feed roller when putting a fresh roll in and had no issues with the feed. Used to occasionally have issues with the bale not turning if baling straw but we fitted short strips of rubber belt around two rollers and that sorted that. The very odd time, generally in late season very green grass the net would wrap around a roller at the back of the baler but that was rare in fairness

Thanks for all the replies. I wonder does the netter give much trouble on the welger rp220?
    Mchale would be out of my price range for all I would use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

New arrival....
    =================================

WTF , Looks like the Next Mars Rover Model .:D
    Well wear ......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement