Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

9935452 wrote: »
    On the grassmen dvds luke furse did a fuel comparison for some magazine.
    He put a john deere pumping slurry for a day.
    Then the following day put a fendt doing the same job and the fendt was a good bit lighter on fuel at pto work . So kinda rules out vario.

On another grassmen dvd . Mark troy in cork was running vario fendts and masseys. Used to change them at 5k hours because they supposedly gave bother at 6 or 7 k

Id imagine vario would come into its own on pto work??

In that it can adjust engine rpm and gearbox settings to suit conditions?
    /workload???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

_blaaz wrote: »
    Id imagine vario would come into its own on pto work??

In that it can adjust engine rpm and gearbox settings to suit conditions?
    /workload???

Only thing is most engines and machines are designed to work at peak efficiency* at PTO speeds; the engine is just at the right place in the torque curve and the the machine is just running at the right rpm. An operator won't know better than the engineers, even if he/she thinks they do.

*not necessarily the point of the lowest fuel consumption, hence the emergence of 540e etcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

9935452 wrote: »
    On the grassmen dvds luke furse did a fuel comparison for some magazine.
    He put a john deere pumping slurry for a day.
    Then the following day put a fendt doing the same job and the fendt was a good bit lighter on fuel at pto work . So kinda rules out vario.

On another grassmen dvd . Mark troy in cork was running vario fendts and masseys. Used to change them at 5k hours because they supposedly gave bother at 6 or 7 k

All goes is a little box that sits on top of the transmission in behind the back right hand wheel. It control the flow of oil into the transmission. With the vario you can’t actually blow the transmission his that little box. Fendt say you have to replace the whole lot because it’s a handy little money spinner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's a long story there but it involves a bank and off farm investments. I doubt it'll ever do a stroke of work again. Terrible waste:(

Maybe he just did up his sums on maintaining John Deeres and figured out it would be better value for money if he just left it in the shed rather than using it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I know of a 150+hp JD with full autosteer tech sitting in a shed with 11 years now. Hasn't moved at all since a few weeks after buying.

Could start right up with new batteries, or could be an absolute money pit.
    11 years sitting and you wouldn't know what corrosion might have crept into the electrics/electronics and even the gearbox.
    Diesel probably like varnish......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

482835.jpg

Won't miss these out of the meadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Won't miss these out of the meadow.

Would there be any restrictions what you can and can't do in the burren?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'll be looking for a load of small ones to fill the holes:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Would there be any restrictions what you can and can't do in the burren?

Ya you need permission from the npws before you can do any work on the SAC ground.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    You'll be looking for a load of small ones to fill the holes:D

I'll need a few trailers of clay alright. They are like icebergs when you start rooting at them. Fed up of hitting them with the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ya you need permission from the npws before you can do any work on the SAC ground.

Milking parlour is next.

Milking parlour is next.

Don't think they'd milk too well off the winterage....be a good job for drying them off maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'll need a few trailers of clay alright. They are like icebergs when you start rooting at them. Fed up of hitting them with the mower.

Is it rock the whole way down that you can't just deepen the hole they came out of

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it rock the whole way down that you can't just deepen the hole they came out of

No it's white sand underneath. Stoney enough auld stuff. Just easier tip a bit of clay into it. Have a good bit piled up from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

There's a long story there but it involves a bank and off farm investments. I doubt it'll ever do a stroke of work again. Terrible waste:(

Know of a Matbro teleporter, 200 hrs on clock stored in a shed, same story

Bring over a welder and a box of rods !! Got sent this from a friend

Bring a welder and a box of rods. Note, I didn’t manage to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Know of a Matbro teleporter, 200 hrs on clock stored in a shed, same story
    I know of a 4wd Renault Ceres tractor that was bought new in 99 by a wannabie stud farmer. It was hardly used and is now sitting in a shed covered in bird droppings and cobwebs. A friend tried to buy it a few years ago but the owner had no interest in selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dropped in the fiat into birr for abit of work, ended up bringing a tm 155 03 home with me! She's clean anything I should look out far. Some difference in size compared to the 110

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They were a favourite of contractors down here, but seemed to last the course. Don't know of many issues. Well wear

I'm gona ask a few questions, how do I know if it is range or power command? Their is a b and c when should I clutch. On a mountain here, when opening gaps what is the safest way of leaving tractor, I turn off 110 and leave in gear with handbrake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm gona ask a few questions, how do I know if it is range or power command? Their is a b and c when should I clutch. On a mountain here, when opening gaps what is the safest way of leaving tractor, I turn off 110 and leave in gear with handbrake

Leave the handbrake on....any slip etc get fixed straight away

Just.let off throttle abit to go.up.the powershifts(though in theory shouldnt make a different,but will be smoother)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

Did u trade in the 110 90. What year and condition was that in?

mengele wrote: »

Did u trade in the 110 90. What year and condition was that in?
    Kept the 110 as has a loader, 99 with tiny cab damage and 5500 hours from new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

An elderly bachelor near here got ran over by his tractor last week.
    Very sad, very well like man and a great farmer.
    Perils of farming on your own at an older age unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Range command if a b c boxes, when going from b to c make sure it’s smooth, if jerky synchro could be on the way out, their dangerous enough handbrake wise as it’s all that holds the tractor, gearbox doesn’t lock like a 110-90 in gear....
    Was the head ever done on it, only real soft spot on the engine and usually done at 8000 hours as a precaution, they where a great tractor back in the day, but will be a bit of a money pit if you end up with a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Hi, just wondering can you use a welger profi in the 1000 pto box or is it best to stick to 540 box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Hi, just wondering can you use a welger profi in the 1000 pto box or is it best to stick to 540 box?

Thanks

If you mean to use the 1000 rpm pto at reduced revs, so that the shaft is still only turning at 540 rpm, then yes, it's fine...But you'll need a very powerful tractor to drive a baler at those revs.
    If you mean to use the 1000 rpm pto at 1000 rpm, then no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

hopeso wrote: »
    If you mean to use the 1000 rpm pto at reduced revs, so that the shaft is still only turning at 540 rpm, then yes, it's fine...But you'll need a very powerful tractor to drive a baler at those revs.
    If you mean to use the 1000 rpm pto at 1000 rpm, then no!

Thanks, I meant the former.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement