Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Xenophile wrote: »
    Nearly all succesfull politicians are ego driven. The challenge for them is to channel their ego energy into worthwhile and wise pursuits. Two who I believe had their egos under control were the late Garret Fitzgerald and the current Minister Richard Bruton.

Maybe you’re right. He had his heart set on leadership but the members didn’t back him back then. Maybe they don’t like him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Seems to be a lobby thread for Alan Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wish we had Alan Kelly in clare. Anyone hear his straight answer on radio yesterday when asked about Lowry? No bull and has principles

golfball37 wrote: »
    I wish we had Alan Kelly in clare. Anyone hear his straight answer on radio yesterday when asked about Lowry? No bull and has principles

You can have him and Lowry,we will take the doctor fella and try and persuade him to run again and you can keep Timmy Dooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

tipptom wrote: »
    You can have him and Lowry,we will take the doctor fella and try and persuade him to run again and you can keep Timmy Dooley.

Speak for yourself ,as a politician lowrys record speaks for itself and amount of first preference votes he gets is testament to his popularity and is always one of the independents that is selected to support whatever coalition is informed ,as for binning Kelly after the amount of jobs ,money he has bought to his area and his campaigning on health issues cop on I would of never been a labour fan and up to 2/3 years ago I’d of voted for anyone bar Kelly ,take a step back and look at the big picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dooley and Kelly’s houses are across the water from each other. I’d glady swap

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Speak for yourself ,as a politician lowrys record speaks for itself and amount of first preference votes he gets is testament to his popularity and is always one of the independents that is selected to support whatever coalition is informed ,as for binning Kelly after the amount of jobs ,money he has bought to his area and his campaigning on health issues cop on I would of never been a labour fan and up to 2/3 years ago I’d of voted for anyone bar Kelly ,take a step back and look at the big picture

So you can be as crooked as fcuk as long as you look after your area?
    Brilliant politics.
    We deserve what we get if we can’t see past our nose.

So you can be as crooked as fcuk as long as you look after your area?
    Brilliant politics.
    We deserve what we get if we can’t see past our nose.

Both have done more than look after there area ,lowry has a past everyone dose he and Kelly are/will be judged on what they do in office and so far both are doing pretty well where is the credible alternatives ??,I’m a farmer Cahill dosnt appeal to me no way in hell I’d vote for the shinners or greens ,greens would shut rural Ireland and agriculture down and outside of Dublin they won’t poll ,sf and Mary Lou zero appeal ,if Pearse Doherty was in my area I’d give him a vote too much history and water under the bridge ,plus they want to tax the **** out of middle/high earners ,what doctor will stick around for that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Both have done more than look after there area ,lowry has a past everyone dose he and Kelly are/will be judged on what they do in office and so far both are doing pretty well where is the credible alternatives?? I’m a farmer Cahill dosnt appeal to me no way in hell I’d vote for the shinners or greens, greens would shut rural Ireland and agriculture down and outside of Dublin they won’t poll, sf and Mary Lou zero appeal, if Pearse Doherty was in my area I’d give him a vote too much history and water under the bridge, plus they want to tax the **** out of middle/high earners, what doctor will stick around for that
    I'd vote for Kelly but cant and would never vote for a crook like Lowry. Everyone does have a past but do they have one like m lowry? No. Greens wouldnt at all shut down rural Ireland. Care to explain how they will do that?

I'd vote for Kelly but cant and would never vote for a crook like Lowry. Everyone does have a past but do they have one like m lowry? No. Greens wouldnt at all shut down rural Ireland. Care to explain how they will do that?

Look at there policies ,they wanted to bring back wolves ffs ,no understanding of rural Ireland or agriculture I know of no farmer that would vote green

• Advertisement

Cop on yourself,typical type of farmer who attacks people that don't vote the way they do for the next corrupt sleeveen who gets a grant for them and F*ck the rest of the country if he sells it to the highest bidder.

Was a farmer I recall that assaulted the journalist at Lowrys campaign launch in thurles last time for having the cheek to be there.

Cop on yourself,typical type of farmer who attacks people that don't vote the way they do for the next corrupt sleeveen who gets a grant for them and F*ck the rest of the country if he sells it to the highest bidder.

Was a farmer I recall that assaulted the journalist at Lowrys campaign launch in thurles last time for having the cheek to be there.

Take a chill pill there and cool off I don’t care who u or any one else vote for .as for rest of your post not worth commenting ,.
    As for farmer assaulting a journo ,honestly no idea about that ,if it happend pure stupidity

and farmers are only one sector. I would give them a vote in tipp because of the terrible selection in the county. Lowry is a crook. His record for involvement in dail sessions is terrible recently.
    Missing votes though signed in for expenses....

Do u have any idea how big the ag sector is in Ireland and how much jobs both direct and indirect it has ,remember the snow 2 years ago who were called to clear roads ,who puts food on your table ,no one cares more about the environment than us .easy for Eamon Rysn to sit in Dublin and dream up some of the fantasy stuff he has ,do u remember him wanting to bring wolves back ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

I see Seamus Healy has an ad in the small paper which says "Do not be misled by other candidates claiming that Healy will fly in", reminding people that he missed out by 59 votes in the 2007 election.

I wouldn't have thought he was safe. I was looking at a picture of him with his campaign team on social media and all I could see was a line of old men with little youth or energy to be detected.

It seems the steam has gone out of the WUAG movement a bit and maybe Healy has held on a bit too long and Pat English should have been given a run out this time.

From talking to some people in the town the view seems to be that Healy didn't deliver much, apparently doesn't even live in the constituency anymore.

Expunge wrote: »
    I see Seamus Healy has an ad in the small paper which says "Do not be misled by other candidates claiming that Healy will fly in", reminding people that he missed out by 59 votes in the 2007 election.

I wouldn't have thought he was safe. I was looking at a picture of him with his campaign team on social media and all I could see was a line of old men with little youth or energy to be detected.

It seems the steam has gone out of the WUAG movement a bit and maybe Healy has held on a bit too long and Pat English should have been given a run out this time.

From talking to some people in the town the view seems to be that Healy didn't deliver much, apparently doesn't even live in the constituency anymore.

Where does he live now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Barbados as a tax exile. Nah, only joking. Touraneena, Co. Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

his arms wil be sore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

So who do I vote for?
    I dont fully know but I want to exercise my vote.

I'm from West Tipp so the slow degradation of Tipperary town is a big issue for me the people in our area.
    Who is the person to help rescue our town?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Keep it on topic please. Take converations to PM's. Any more defammatory posts will lead to infactions.

There’s almost full employment now, so they’re only hoping that the workers will vote for him. Of course, the workers are the ones that get up early and pay taxes. They won’t vote for the pay for nothing brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There’s almost full employment now, so they’re only hoping that the workers will vote for him. Of course, the workers are the ones that get up early and pay taxes. They won’t vote for the pay for nothing brigade.

I wouldn’t dream of voting for him for that reason. I’d say he has a good chance of losing his seat, but there’s not much to beat him to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Full employment?? As in there's no more employing people because all the positions are filled? because there's certainly plenty of people unemployed yet seeking work particularly young people. A lot of people I work with in Clonmel even are still commuters as they simply can't get work closer to home the knock on effect there is locals a bit more restricted.

The middle has been squeezed the most from these recent governments, AK47,Lowry even had their shots as ministers it's plain to see they were part of failures, useless! we'd in fact be paying more taxes if AK got his way and that adventure was assisted by squandering our money and resources in the process...no, enough! I am not one to reward failure anyway.

Trawling through the candidates I see this Sandra Farrell was a former Labour mayor and buddy of AK, what's her story another opportunist not wanting to trod on his toes in the north of the county?

Full employment?? As in there's no more employing people because all the positions are filled? because there's certainly plenty of people unemployed yet seeking work particularly young people. A lot of people I work with in Clonmel even are still commuters as they simply can't get work closer to home the knock on effect there is locals a bit more restricted.

The middle has been squeezed the most from these recent governments, AK47,Lowry even had their shots as ministers it's plain to see they were part of failures, useless! we'd in fact be paying more taxes if AK got his way and that adventure was assisted by squandering our money and resources in the process...no, enough! I am not one to reward failure anyway.

Trawling through the candidates I see this Sandra Farrell was a former Labour mayor and buddy of AK, what's her story another opportunist not wanting to trod on his toes in the north of the county?

AK47??

You missed the word “almost” in your haste to have a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

AK47??

You missed the word “almost” in your haste to have a rant.

It's Alan Kelly's nickname.

Okay, almost full employment for what little difference it makes to my point. I was completely baffled at the mere mention of full employment not an attempt to misquote you, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paddico wrote: »
    So who do I vote for?

I'm from West Tipp so the slow degradation of Tipperary town is a big issue for me the people in our area.

I’m not from Tipp but just to say no politician has ever rescued a town. They can lobby for projects (sometimes very effectively) especially if they are in a governing party but the impetus and ideas must come from the bottom up. Voting in independents or small party politicians is a waste of time from that point of view if you want big infrastructure projects approved. It takes people working hard on the ground over many years in partnership with the agencies.

I was watching RTE the last night and they were in Boyle, Roscommon, lots of the same issues as Tipp. They covered some of the rejuvenation projects the town team had undertaken with the council. Millions of euro going in to develop enterprise centres, civic areas and housing projects. Very interesting.

I think some of the praise Alan Kelly is getting is a tad generous. He has been quite lucky in that some projects that were going to happen anyway fell in to his lap, I.e. IDA bringing First Data to town, GNI infrastructure rollout etc. He is a fine politician imo and if I had a vote in Tipp I’d probably give it to him, but while I’m sure he made positive contributions to say he ‘delivered’ all these projects might be stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Just on the "Kelly" issue, as Honeybadger says, NO politician ever secures a project like First Data for a town. If First Data were interested in setting up anywhere, the fact that Alan Kelly (or maybe his brother) tell them that Nenagh is a lovely place is not going to swing it I'm afraid.
    The people of the County won't see it that way though.

Kelly himself is the most arrogant and self important man you will ever meet.

Great man to tell you he can do this and that but invariably comes up short. But by that stage he has moved on to the next promise.

Lowry (and I have no love for the man) is an absolute gentleman to deal with and I would argue that he gets a lot more done and that's the reason why he is probably going to top the poll. At least he is on the "inside p***ing out" rather than on the outside p***ing in !!

Both Mattie and Seamus had that opportunity after the last election but wouldn't take it.
    If either of them had any sense of true National politics they would have agreed some deal to deliver even one major project for Tipperary.
    Parish pump politicians, the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Paddico wrote: »
    So who do I vote for?

I’m just looking at the odds. Looks like 4 seats are locked in for Lowry, matty, Cahill and Alan Kelly.
    Which means there’s one seat up for grabs with Aherne and Healy even money and Newman/hannigan 5/2.
    We’ve no fg td. So I’m gonna go with aherne. Not because I rate him but having a fg td might help and he’s the front runner of the 2 fg candidates.

Only Martin Browne is from cashel/tipp region ( maybe Newman) and he’s irrelevant.

Of the lot Alan Kelly is the only one that could get a cabinet seat if labour were elected. Lowry/Mattie will never have government seats. Cahill maybe a junior and Aherne no chance. If I was in Kelly’s region I’d vote for him no 1.

Healy looked completely disinterested at the ‘jobs4tipp’ meeting a few years back. Though there seems to be a few of the ‘March4tipp’ crowd turning against Aherne due to him claiming to have helped the establishment of the task force. His big poster has caused some moaning too!

digzy wrote: »
    I’m just looking at the odds. Looks like 4 seats are locked in for Lowry, matty, Cahill and Alan Kelly.
    Which means there’s one seat up for grabs with Aherne and Healy even money and Newman/hannigan 5/2.
    We’ve no fg td. So I’m gonna go with aherne. Not because I rate him but having a fg td might help and he’s the front runner of the 2 fg candidates.

Only Martin Browne is from cashel/tipp region ( maybe Newman) and he’s irrelevant.

Of the lot Alan Kelly is the only one that could get a cabinet seat if labour were elected. Lowry/Mattie will never have government seats. Cahill maybe a junior and Aherne no chance. If I was in Kelly’s region I’d vote for him no 1.

Healy looked completely disinterested at the ‘jobs4tipp’ meeting a few years back. Though there seems to be a few of the ‘March4tipp’ crowd turning against Aherne due to him claiming to have helped the establishment of the task force. His big poster has caused some moaning too!

Healy is an ageing trade union activist who seems to be continually angry. Time to retire.
    I think Imelda Goldsboro might give Cahill a run for his money. She’s highly thought of in her area. A hard worker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Healy is an ageing trade union activist who seems to be continually angry. Time to retire.
    I think Imelda Goldsboro might give Cahill a run for his money. She’s highly thought of in her area. A hard worker too.

I'd love to see her do well. Very underrated and very hard working. Has a "National" outlook as well.
    Unfortunately she is a bit "geographically isolated" ( i.e. no real profile in any of the big towns )and Cahill will appeal to the very people she is targeting as well.
    Maybe next time though.
    Personally I can see no reason why FF are running 3 candidates and simply splitting their vote base. (cant see why FG are running 2 either !!)

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'd love to see her do well. Very underrated and very hard working. Has a "National" outlook as well.
    Unfortunately she is a bit "geographically isolated" ( i.e. no real profile in any of the big towns )and Cahill will appeal to the very people she is targeting as well.
    Maybe next time though.
    Personally I can see no reason why FF are running 3 candidates and simply splitting their vote base. (cant see why FG are running 2 either !!)

I totally agree. I think it’s something to do with gender quotas. Yes. PC nonsense again.
    I like Imelda as a councillor and would hate to lose her to the Dail.

Advertisement