Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Still same Chinese investors afaik

They've pulled out. Anyway hopefully all goes smoothly with the project from here on out. Be great if it happens.

Anyone else had canvassers yet? We've only had one group for Joe Hannigan so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Surprised no one has called Alan Kelly out on his links to John Delaney during the last GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Surprised no one has called Alan Kelly out on his links to John Delaney during the last GE.

or on the fact that he "fobbed" into the Dail without actually attending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Maybe Alan Kelly will profit from his brother Declan currently being the main sponsor of Tipperary GAA through his company Teneo.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Shur what’s stopping you .....after the last few years ,all the jobs money he has bought to his local area ,campaigning on health issues snd fighting for the reopening of nenagh and Ennis a&e I don’t get the negativity of some towards him
    He had a very arrogant streak few years ago but think just scraping in last election has humbled him a bit

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Maybe Alan Kelly will profit from his brother Declan currently being the main sponsor of Tipperary GAA through his company Teneo.

He’ll profit from the work and money jobs he has bought to tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say there would be a major "feel good factor" from the sponsorship especially as it was so successful.

Most Tipperary people I know are very proud of the hurling team and All Irelands are treasured.

Not enough on it's own to win a seat but a nice boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I dont think they would as it isnt an issue and shouldn't Be. Lots of high profile people back people running in an election which is what Delaney did.
    Vizzy wrote: »
    or on the fact that he "fobbed" into the Dail without actually attending
    I dont see that as too much an issue. Shouldn't have done it but and this doesnt excuse it a lot more also did it
    would he? Dont see why that should be relevant.
    elperello wrote: »
    I'd say there would be a major "feel good factor" from the sponsorship especially as it was so successful.

Most Tipperary people I know are very proud of the hurling team and All Irelands are treasured.

Not enough on it's own to win a seat but a nice boost.
    dont see it as anywhere near a boost to actually be a factor in the election

[QUOTE= would he? Dont see why that should be relevant.[/QUOTE]

Positive publicity is good publicity.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

would he? Dont see why that should be relevant.

dont see it as anywhere near a boost to actually be a factor in the election

Maybe you are right but I think you might be underestimating the power of hurling in Tipperary. I don't mean the GAA as such but just the way the hurley and sliotar is deep in the psyche of the county.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Maybe you are right but I think you might be underestimating the power of hurling in Tipperary. I don't mean the GAA as such but just the way the hurley and sliotar is deep in the psyche of the county.

The Tipperary man Declan Kelly knows this and I am sure that is part of the reason that he has backed Tipperary hurling with thousands of euro.

The Tipperary man Declan Kelly knows this and I am sure that is part of the reason that he has backed Tipperary hurling with thousands of euro.

Yes I suppose he didn't get to be a multi-millionaire mover and shaker without being able to spot an opportunity.

But and it's a big but for the punt to pay off they had to win.

Lady Luck came in and now they are going for the double.

Team and substiuts for the game with Down.

Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    John Meagher – Loughmore-Castleiney
    Colm O’Shaughnessy – Ardfinnan
    Emmet Moloney – Drom & Inch
    Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    Daire Brennan – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Steven O’Brien – Ballina
    Conal Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Bill Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Kevin Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    Liam Boland – Moyle Rovers
    Conor Sweeney (Capt.) – Ballyporeen
    Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill

Michael O’Reilly – Clonmel Commercials
    Gavin Whelan – Ardfinnan
    Tadhg Fitzgerald – Moyle Rovers
    Liam Fahey – Rockwell Rovers
    Joseph Nyland – Loughmore-Castleiney
    Tommy Nolan – Drom-Inch
    Alan Moloney – Rockwell Rovers
    Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    Colman Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Jason Lonergan – Clonmel Commercials
    Seán O’Connor – Clonmel Commercials

Thanks but the double I was referring to was the All Ireland and AK re-elected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Team and substiuts for the game with Down.

Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    John Meagher – Loughmore-Castleiney
    Colm O’Shaughnessy – Ardfinnan
    Emmet Moloney – Drom & Inch
    Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    Daire Brennan – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Steven O’Brien – Ballina
    Conal Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Bill Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Kevin Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    Liam Boland – Moyle Rovers
    Conor Sweeney (Capt.) – Ballyporeen
    Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill

Michael O’Reilly – Clonmel Commercials
    Gavin Whelan – Ardfinnan
    Tadhg Fitzgerald – Moyle Rovers
    Liam Fahey – Rockwell Rovers
    Joseph Nyland – Loughmore-Castleiney
    Tommy Nolan – Drom-Inch
    Alan Moloney – Rockwell Rovers
    Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    Colman Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    Jason Lonergan – Clonmel Commercials
    Seán O’Connor – Clonmel Commercials

A strong panel, are they canvassing for Joe Hannigan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

No Quinlivan?
    I hope the people of Tipperary remember Alan Kelly delivered an Ireland when they go to the polls in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

golfball37 wrote: »
    No Quinlivan?
    I hope the people of Tipperary remember Alan Kelly delivered an Ireland when they go to the polls in 2 weeks

Quinlivan isn't playing this year. Going travelling, or something like that I think.
    Can't begrudge him a year out with what he's given the county the last few years, and the commitment Intercounty football takes.

As for people voting for Alan Kelly because of Teneo, I don't think people are suggesting many will consciously go out and give him a vote directly because of it. But it could definitely be in people's subconscious minds, considering the regard GAA and hurling in particular is held in this country.
    A lot of people are aware of the link, and without putting much depth into thinking about it, might view Alan Kelly slightly better as a result.

It could be the difference if looking for a few transfers and things are tight like last time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Did anyone see Alan's brother (I know he has his own name but that's the association) at the homecoming in Semple stadium last year? Not what I had imagined the head of a global CEO advisory firm to be like. I wouldn't have anything bad to say about him but he seems like he'd be great craic to have a few pints with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

julyjane wrote: »
    Did anyone see Alan's brother (I know he has his own name but that's the association) at the homecoming in Semple stadium last year? Not what I had imagined the head of a global CEO advisory firm to be like. I wouldn't have anything bad to say about him but he seems like he'd be great craic to have a few pints with.
    what exactly should a head of a global advisory firm be like then?
    Great that such a big firm is supporting the county.

9 points up at half time. Great. Hopefully can build momentum and make big show of intent for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

julyjane wrote: »

I guessing he was just happy out that Tipp won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyone hear any predictions or polls from the Ivan Yates/Pat Kenny show or any good polls for Tipperary?

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Shur what’s stopping you .....after the last few years ,all the jobs money he has bought to his local area ,campaigning on health issues snd fighting for the reopening of nenagh and Ennis a&e I don’t get the negativity of some towards him
    He had a very arrogant streak few years ago but think just scraping in last election has humbled him a bit

I was listening to the RTE Drivetime programme yesterday,and its clear that the ego and arrogance of Alan Kelly is alive and well..

I was listening to the RTE Drivetime programme yesterday,and its clear that the ego and arrogance of Alan Kelly is alive and well..

I missed it. What did he say? Incidentally has anyone else noticed a fresh waveof his posters popping up around the county? He has had posters up in my area since the election was called, but this week more have appeared. They've literally doubled in number.

I missed it. What did he say? Incidentally has anyone else noticed a fresh waveof his posters popping up around the county? He has had posters up in my area since the election was called, but this week more have appeared. They've literally doubled in number.

Alan Kelly is the only legislator standing the constituency the rest of them are parish pump politicians.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21701468

Listened to it. Thanks. I see why he is being described as arrogant

Alan Kelly is the only legislator standing the constituency the rest of them are parish pump politicians.

Well according to the canvassers I just had at the door (my second set of labour canvassers in a week) he isn't too bad at parish pump politics himself. Had a long list of local issues that wouldn't have been solved without him apparently.

Why the sudden upsurge in canvassing and poster hanging for him? Is he worried or has he suddenly attracted a new team of enthusiastic followers eager to work for him? Genuine question as I've never been canvassed for one candidate more than once before

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A serious pain in the hole. Can’t stand the man. Full of himself.

Shur u could say the same of Mary Lou ,arrogant ,keeps harping on about the past etc etc .kelly will get a seat because of his work in bringing jobs and money into local area and campaigning on health issues

• Advertisement

A serious pain in the hole. Can’t stand the man. Full of himself.

Nearly all succesfull politicians are ego driven. The challenge for them is to channel their ego energy into worthwhile and wise pursuits. Two who I believe had their egos under control were the late Garret Fitzgerald and the current Minister Richard Bruton.

Advertisement