Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Xenophile wrote: »
    Joan Burton is a very intelligent woman and very hard working. On TV she is no Jan O'Sullivan , Lucinda Creighton or Jan O'Sullivan. She was right to take the position as Tánaiste, if she had not been Tánaiste she would not have been re-elected. Time for her to take step back now.

Power went to Eamonn Gilmore's head, he had no business swanning around the world as Minister For Foreign Affairs when there was so much work to be done in his own back yard.

Gilmore's decision to allow Phil Prendergast to be the Labour candidate for Ireland South was a huge mistake and could only have been made by someone who was out of touch.

I note that Phil could not resist having a swipe at Alan Kelly during the course of the election count.

Rabbite was a good entertaining politician he and Joe Higgins will be missed especially for their quips and retorts the in Dail.

Quinn was ever hard working and intelligent. He will also be missed.
    Ha Ha wonder why you would be advocating Joan walking away.

I am not sure that AK will be the shoo in for the Labour leadership that people in Tipp think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

tipptom wrote: »
    Ha Ha wonder why you would be advocating Joan walking away. I am not sure that AK will be the shoo in for the Labour leadership that people in Tipp think he is.

Joan is a great grafter and is well able for her Ministry, but she does not perform well on tele !

The only other serious contender would be Brendan Howlin but I do not think he is interested in the job.

The Labour Party is in such a poor state at the moment you would need a young person with lots of energy and commitment to get it back on track.

At that, I am not ruling out the possibility that the Labour Party could be history after the next General Election.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Joan Burton is a very intelligent woman and very hard working. On TV she is no Jan O'Sullivan , Lucinda Creighton or Jan O'Sullivan. She was right to take the position as Tánaiste, if she had not been Tánaiste she would not have been re-elected. Time for her to take step back now.

Power went to Eamonn Gilmore's head, he had no business swanning around the world as Minister For Foreign Affairs when there was so much work to be done in his own back yard.

Gilmore's decision to allow Phil Prendergast to be the Labour candidate for Ireland South was a huge mistake and could only have been made by someone who was out of touch.

I note that Phil could not resist having a swipe at Alan Kelly during the course of the election count.

Rabbite was a good entertaining politician he and Joe Higgins will be missed especially for their quips and retorts the in Dail.

Quinn was ever hard working and intelligent. He will also be missed.

Power went to Eamonn Gilmore's head.....Maybe it was a drug to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 solo1y

Perhaps not entirely related: I got a letter from Waterford Election Office (or whatever) telling us that we have been re-deployed to the Waterford constituency (we live across the river). When we showed up to vote, they gave us Tipperary ballots. My wife, presumably also a Waterford constituent, had two ballots, one for Kilkenny and one for Tipperary.

Maybe it doesn't matter that much, but.

Power went to Eamonn Gilmore's head.....Maybe it was a drug to him?

If it was a drug he was on the wrong drug !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

solo1y wrote: »
    Perhaps not entirely related: I got a letter from Waterford Election Office (or whatever) telling us that we have been re-deployed to the Waterford constituency (we live across the river). When we showed up to vote, they gave us Tipperary ballots. My wife, presumably also a Waterford constituent, had two ballots, one for Kilkenny and one for Tipperary.

Interesting ! In what county did you vote ? The returning officer for Tipperary is Gerard Connolly and his office is in the Court House in Clonmel, maybe give him a ring or call in and see him. You could also raise the matter with any candidate.

Kellys power drug must have been the wrong one as well..seeing as he just scraped into his seat..But it could also be down to bad campaign management..

Kellys power drug must have been the wrong one as well..seeing as he just scraped into his seat..But it could also be down to bad campaign management..

No, he was on the right drug, he must have been as he got the second best Labour vote in the country.

Seamus Martin did a great job managing his campaign, without Seamus Martin I don't think he would have made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

People are ignoring the elephant in the room here which is Tipperary is a pro-independent county, I mean tax evader Lowry got in first count. All the party members besides Cahill really struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

solo1y wrote: »

This could be hugely important.
    can you provide further details please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

No, he was on the right drug, he must have been as he got the second best Labour vote in the country.

Seamus Martin did a great job managing his campaign, without Seamus Martin I don't think he would have made it.
    lol

lol

Any chance you would tell me what he did wrong ?

I very much doubt that there were any bets of note made on the GE.

You are probably right, I opened this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98925638
    thread mid morning in After Hours, there really was no interest in it.

You won't see or hear much of him anymore. They only have 6 seats and no speaking time.

The Labour Party have 7 seats and yes they have speaking time ! So, just to let the posters know the "him" you were referring to is Alan Kelly. Well done to the Labour Party for pulling off this last one.

The Labour Party have 7 seats and yes they have speaking time ! So, just to let the posters know the "him" you were referring to is Alan Kelly. Well done to the Labour Party for pulling off this last one.

I wonder how long the combined AAA/PBP will last now as the only reason they joined together was to get speaking rights.

I wonder how long the combined AAA/PBP will last now as the only reason they joined together was to get speaking rights.

My guess is that they will easily poach at least one more from the independents, heaven knows they have a big number to chose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Happy for Willie Penrose,back from the dead after conceding Saturday night.

Decent fella who took a principled stand when they closed down Mullingar Barracks and it cost him politically and I doubt if he will get the same chance again.

tipptom wrote: »
    Decent fella who took a principled stand when they closed down Mullingar Barracks and it cost him politically and I doubt if he will get the same chance again.

It was great that he won the seat. I wonder if he will even bother to contest it again he has been in the Dail for 23 years and is also a qualified barrister !

My guess is that they will easily poach at least one more from the independents, heaven knows they have a big number to chose from.

They can't do that. That was the only reason AAA and PBP joined before the Election, as groups cannot chop and change afterwards and only one Technical Group is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How many seats did they start with again? :pac:

• Advertisement

How many seats did they start with again? :pac:

So you miscounted their chickens before they were hatched, so go again and count the eggs!

So you miscounted their chickens before they were hatched, so go again and count the eggs!

Kelly counted his...and was nearly left shell shocked...

Kelly counted his...and was nearly left shell shocked...

As they say, you are bull******ng, Kelly, and I know this on good authority, never took his re-election for granted. Kelly knew that there was a lot of intelligent voters in Clonmel and he worked the town months in advance. This got him over the line !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Their chickens and eggs could be counted in 2 seconds. Spent force. Threw it all away for 5 mins in the sun. I wonder what Connolly and Larkin would say.

As they say, you are bull******ng, Kelly, and I know this on good authority, never took his re-election for granted. Kelly knew that there was a lot of intelligent voters in Clonmel and he worked the town months in advance. This got him over the line !

Ah dont let the post upset you..first time I see the bad language in you replies..lol
    How do you know?or is that bull too..The more intellignt in Clonmel didnt vote for his arrogance..which left him hanging....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ah dont let the post upset you..first time I see the bad language in you replies..lol
    How do you know?or is that bull too..The more intellignt in Clonmel didnt vote for his arrogance..which left him hanging....

I'm not to sure there was much intelligent voting in Clonmel or Tipperary for that matter. Look at who was returned and who stood for election.
    Kelly: Detested by half the country. Won't have a say in government policy.
    Healy: Might believe in what he does but he needs people to think things are ****, money grows on trees and only he can solve it, should join AAA/PBP grouping. Very unlikely to have any influence in government.
    Lowry: I mean WTF! He is as corrupt as it comes. He fixed the road so I'll vote for him type.
    McGrath: Parish pump politics at its best. National interest doesn't matter and also opposed SSM so no respect for him. Unlikely to have any real influence.
    Cahill: I don't know a huge amount about him but I have my doubts he will be a minister if FF find themselves in power.

I think we might have to have a GE16 thread part two.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I'm not to sure there was much intelligent voting in Clonmel or Tipperary for that matter. Look at who was returned and who stood for election.
    Kelly: Detested by half the country. Won't have a say in government policy.
    Healy: Might believe in what he does but he needs people to think things are ****, money grows on trees and only he can solve it, should join AAA/PBP grouping. Very unlikely to have any influence in government.
    Lowry: I mean WTF! He is as corrupt as it comes. He fixed the road so I'll vote for him type.
    McGrath: Parish pump politics at its best. National interest doesn't matter and also opposed SSM so no respect for him. Unlikely to have any real influence.
    Cahill: I don't know a huge amount about him but I have my doubts he will be a minister if FF find themselves in power.
    For what it's worth, I voted Fitzgibbon and I'm in south Tipp. Lowry and McGrath were put down near the end. I can't stand those sorts of politicians, especially Lowry. All the politicians that were on the ballot have done nothing for me anyway.

The major parties need to concentrate heavily on developing their organisations in Tipperary.

Could it be that they considered Tipperary a waste of time due to presence of Lowry, Healy and McGrath.

The major parties can definitely be accused of not attracting or developing young talent and much of this can be put down to a lack of interest or foresight.

In fairness to Kelly, detested as he is, he has done enough to get elected, now he needs to concentrate on attracting new supporters. He should also find ways of involving his supporters more in the political process.

• Advertisement

I think we might have to have a GE16 thread part two.....

Nothing wrong with this one, keep it going for the sake of the record.

Advertisement