Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Xenophile wrote: »
    If things get too boring for him around here over the next two years, he could always go back to his old job as an MEP. The Labour Party has no MEP representing Ireland South.

But I know you would not want him to do that as you would miss him too much :)

Don't you have to be elected to that position? No guarantee he'd get past the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

If things get too boring for him around here over the next two years, he could always go back to his old job as an MEP. The Labour Party has no MEP representing Ireland South.

Don't you have to be elected to that position? No guarantee he'd get past the post.
    No guarantee he wouldn't though. A lot can happen in two years. Excited to see what he does though, will be more exciting than Lowry anyway. If he's officially found guilty of tax evasion, he should give up his seat. We all know he won't.
    What sickened me was our school and another one nearby are officially supporting him, they've got stickers and little posters up all over the school and in classrooms. Actually makes me want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

As far as I know Tom Hayes holds on to his position and salary as Junior Minister until someone else is appointed. This could take months.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

As far as I know Tom Hayes holds on to his position and salary as Junior Minister until someone else is appointed. This could take months.

And Minister Kelly will also hold on to the perks of the job as well.

It will be interesting to see if he issues approval for any projects before he leaves - "the sting of a dying wasp" ,so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

[QUOTE=...
    What sickened me was our school and another one nearby are officially supporting him, they've got stickers and little posters up all over the school and in classrooms. Actually makes me want to vomit.[/QUOTE]

Did you complain? I would have. That's a disgraceful carryon. Government buildings should not be used to promote one candidate over another, unless its his office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

a few more months of ordering Pizza for Mattie from the Daíl bar so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As much as you would love that, sorry to disappoint you. They will probably take two more seats

Dublin Bay North and Longford Westmeath. They just need to take one of these.

They've lost out on Dublin North Bay anyway.

Loughc wrote: »
    anyway.

"anyway" is superfluous

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

"anyway" is superfluous

It really isn't. But then again you need to comment on something other than your devastation for the Labour Party on missing out on yet another seat. ;)

Loughc wrote: »
    They've lost out on Dublin North Bay anyway.

Well the junior Minister keeps his job for some time, it could even be until after the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wasn't that the job that he promised the people that if elected he would serve out the full term,dont think they will fall for that again,fool me once and all that.

Congratulations Xeno,you worked hard for your man with your entertaining press releases,you nearly had me believing that it was some infallible Greek god you were promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Kelly was in Dublin at the DBN count earlier today. He's now in Kenagh for the Longford/Westmeath recount now. No sign of Joan at either. Kelly will surely take over as party leader in the next few weeks. Penrose has now stretched out to a massive 4 vote lead over FG's Bannon. His elimination will almost certainly elect Labour's 7th seat. More bad news for the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

maudgone wrote: »
    More bad news for the haters.

Kelly and Burton have destroyed the Labour party by turning into FG lite yet you still laud him :pac:

F34 wrote: »
    More bad news for the haters.

Kelly and Burton have destroyed the Labour party by turning into FG lite yet you still laud him :pac:
    Greens were accused of the same thing, like it or not Labour's priority was good government, they didn't want to whinge like SF can being an opposition only party. Labour kept FG near the center and kept most decisions a bit more left leaning than where FG would normally be.

Greens were accused of the same thing, like it or not Labour's priority was good government, they didn't want to whinge like SF can being an opposition only party. Labour kept FG near the center and kept most decisions a bit more left leaning than where FG would normally be.

Good government and what happened over the last five years don't belong in the same sentence. Labour stood by FG when set up Irish Water knowing that it was dodgy as hell and instead of standing up for their principles they rolled over like lapdogs.

NAMA is back in the headlines again for the wrong reasons you really call that good government and please don't try and paint that one as FG's doing Labour were the ones in government with them. As I said principles and the current Labour party are poles apart.

Please point out where I lauded him. I just love to watch some of the begrudgers cringe.

Please point out where I lauded him. I just love to watch some of the begrudgers cringe.

Begrudge what lol????

Every one is a hater and begrudger it's no wonder the Labour party did so poorly you can't even admit your faults in government.

Begrudge what lol????

Every one is a hater and begrudger it's no wonder the Labour party did so poorly you can't even admit your faults in government.

I didn't even vote for labour. Just pointing out how much you obviously hate the Labour party. Historically the junior party of a coalition always takes the brunt of the backlash. It's up to the 3 largest parties to now form a government, or we all head back to the polls in a few weeks.

No Government will be formed until we have another election !

It is time for Enda Kenny to resign as leader of FG, he will still be Taoiseach until the Dail elects a new Taoiseach !

I didn't even vote for labour. Just pointing out how much you obviously hate the Labour party. Historically the junior party of a coalition always takes the brunt of the backlash. It's up to the 3 largest parties to now form a government, or we all head back to the polls in a few weeks.

In two or three months !

• Advertisement

Lol hate reall yI just think it's funny that you can't look at them objectively rather calling people childish names like begrudger and haters.

I was an FG voter up until this election and gave them no preference in this election I think both government parties while doing some good carried on like FF before them especially with crony appointments. I look at Roisin Shorthall as one of the very few Labour TD's that actually stuck to their principles. FG on the other hand have ensured I will never vote for them again.

Roisin Shorthall

Roisin Shorthall is a thinking persons politician.

Good government and what happened over the last five years don't belong in the same sentence. Labour stood by FG when set up Irish Water knowing that it was dodgy as hell and instead of standing up for their principles they rolled over like lapdogs.

NAMA is back in the headlines again for the wrong reasons you really call that good government and please don't try and paint that one as FG's doing Labour were the ones in government with them. As I said principles and the current Labour party are poles apart.
    I think your redefining what I mean. We are faced with a situation now that won't result in good government, there won't be a balance of left and right in government. Good government in a time of crisis which lets face it the post-bailout was a crisis simply means putting aside politic differences to provide a stable base to try and bring the country back in order. They have done that, of course the cost was huge cuts, the hospital crisis and tons more.

We can go on and on about the issues but it's in the past, where the country is now is far better than 2010 and as much as people try to say otherwise it does require a government with the willpower to do the necessary things (rather than pulling a Greece).

In times of crisis sometimes political ideologies must be put to the side, as much as Labour did abandon core values without them we may have never got things like the marriage referendum.

I think your redefining what I mean. We are faced with a situation now that won't result in good government, there won't be a balance. Good government in a time of crisis which lets face it the post-bailout was a crisis simply means putting aside politic differences to provide a stable base to try and bring the country back in order. They have done that, of course the cost was huge cuts, the hospital crisis and tons more.

We can go on and on about the issues but it's in the past, where the country is now is far better than 2010 and as much as people try to say otherwise it does require a government with the willpower to do the necessary things (rather than pulling a Greece).

In times of crisis sometimes political ideologies must be put to the side, as much as Labour did abandon core values without them we may have never got things like the marriage referendum.
    Add your reply here.

As regards gambling or betting on politics Ireland's leading bookmaker must have made a hat of money of the defeat of Tom Hayes, throughout or almost throughout the campaign he was always favourite to take the second seat.

I think your redefining what I mean. We are faced with a situation now that won't result in good government, there won't be a balance of left and right in government. Good government in a time of crisis which lets face it the post-bailout was a crisis simply means putting aside politic differences to provide a stable base to try and bring the country back in order. They have done that, of course the cost was huge cuts, the hospital crisis and tons more.

But I honestly don't think we had good government to be honest and Labour have decimated their party for no reason. FG showed their true colours which unfortunately are the same as FF.

I'm angry that a huge opportunity for change was wasted.

1. No transparency on government decisions.
    2. Rail-roading through poor legislation
    3. No action taken on legal costs which is going to start costings jobs due to rising insurance premiums. I actually believe Shatter was starting this reform and was forced out due to it.
    4. Tackle public service expenditure properly with root and branch reform and the re-organisation of the service.
    5. NAMA
    6. Irish Water and the cluster f**k that it is a retirement home for FG cronies
    7. Siteserve
    8. The contempt with which the coalition spoke about people protesting and complete lack of humility showed. They seemed to forget they are there by the will of the people and are ultimately responsible to the citizens of Ireland not Europe.
    9. They promised Seanad reform after the failed referendum and noting has been done.

As regards gambling or betting on politics Ireland's leading bookmaker must have made a hat of money of the defeat of Tom Hayes, throughout or almost throughout the campaign he was always favourite to take the second seat.

Irelands leading bookmaker is great at self promoting! I very much doubt that there were any bets of note made on the GE. Their odds got people talking about them rather than the Politicians. (They could teach Michael O'Leary a thing or two about grabbing free advertising chances!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

You left out GSOC, whistleblowers and Callinan F34- A shameful affair and the governments response to it showed how out of touch they were.

I expected it from FG but not Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

golfball37 wrote: »
    You left out GSOC, whistleblowers and Callinan F34- A shameful affair and the governments response to it showed how out of touch they were.

I expected it from FG but not Labour.
    I think a defining moment of what Labours thinking on staying in power was them them defending Alan Shatter to the hilt and insisting that it was not a sacking matter on the plinth while inside FG were shoving Alan over the cliff.

I think Joan Burton has been the fall guy for Labour and I think it mostly lies at Gilmore and Rabbit and to a lesser extent Quinns door.

Labour supporters did not desert labour,Labour deserted their supporters

• Advertisement

tipptom wrote: »
    I think Joan Burton has been the fall guy for Labour and I think it mostly lies at Gilmore and Rabbit and to a lesser extent Quinns door.

Joan Burton is a very intelligent woman and very hard working. On TV she is no Lucinda Creighton or Jan O'Sullivan. She was right to take the position as Tánaiste, if she had not been Tánaiste she would not have been re-elected. Time for her to take step back now.

Power went to Eamonn Gilmore's head, he had no business swanning around the world as Minister For Foreign Affairs when there was so much work to be done in his own back yard.

Gilmore's decision to allow Phil Prendergast to be the Labour candidate for Ireland South was a huge mistake and could only have been made by someone who was out of touch.

I note that Phil could not resist having a swipe at Alan Kelly during the course of the election count.

Rabbite was a good entertaining politician he and Joe Higgins will be missed especially for their quips and retorts the in Dail.

Quinn was ever hard working and intelligent. He will also be missed.

Advertisement