Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

While I am delighted to hear of the jobs announcement for Nenagh, the cynic in me is saying that it is all electioneering.

In March 2010 Mr Kelly announced 200 jobs for Nenagh in the old Aventis plant. Details here

How many are working in that business at the moment?
    Think quigleys bakery are in there ,not sure how many jobs .electonering proab has something to do with it but as someone from the area who cares jobs are jobs ,if any other of our local politicians were involved they'd be accused of same I'll be Mick Lowry ,Seamus morris would love a good story like that so close to an election and they'd milk it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

flutered wrote: »
    what about conservation, a person with a swimming pool pays the same as an old guy living alone

Precisely! Let he who consumes the most pay for it like any other utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

anyone on over 70k can afford to pay more then someone on 20k. cutting taxes for the well off only worsens inequality. I would agree the focus on personal tax is flawed we should instead look to raise employer PRSI, corporation tax, financial transaction tax ect to get businesses to pay their fair share. This would mean that the state could spread the benefits of the 'recovery' more evenly throughout society. At the same low wages need to be addressed in order to reduce the number of workers dependent on social welfare.

Do you actually realise that people earning over 70k pay more tax than those on 20k. The higher tax rate kicks in at around 33k. Top earners pay around 55%. How much more should they pay? 60%, maybe 70%.... Best of luck with that!

Taxing work is another beauty. Sure up the dole to €400 per week....

Stick to the flag waving and the re telling of history....leave the economy to the realistic parties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

digzy wrote: »
    Do you actually realise that people earning over 70k pay more tax than those on 20k. The higher tax rate kicks in at around 33k. Top earners pay around 55%. How much more should they pay? 60%, maybe 70%.... Best of luck with that!

Taxing work is another beauty. Sure up the dole to €400 per week....

Stick to the flag waving and the re telling of history....leave the economy to the realistic parties

are you ignoring what I said about PRSI, corporation tax and low pay? I said personal tax alone is not enough (I would support a higher rate of tax for those on very large incomes say over 100,000). the dole should be raised to 180 for under 25's other than that I think social welfare rates are good enough, rent allowance is another issue though

nothing I'm saying is economically unfeasible, in fact most european countries have higher corporation tax and employer prsi, while increasing the minimum wage would reduce the social welfare bill by getting people off fis while a transaction tax of 0.1% on amounts over 1 million would raise over 300,000 thousand a year.

As it is our current system is not working for the majority of people so something has to change. Also try reading micheal Taft's blog or anything from NERI before accusing someone of being economically illiterate just because they don't agree with neoliberal dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

in fact most european countries have higher corporation tax and employer prsi, while increasing the minimum wage

I ask this question as I would genuinely like to know if EU Business's pay commercial rates like business's pay in Ireland.

Even before the increase of the minimum wage of the 1st.January 2016, Ireland had one of the highest minimum wage rates in the EU. Same applies to PPS.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Minimum_wage_statistics

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Michael Lowry is tipped to have a very good chance of getting the most first preferences in any constituency. Some commentators say that there are a lot of people in the old constituency of South Tipperary who are happy to have the opportunity to vote for him. Many especially in the heartlands of Tipperary Hurling country in the South West of the county in particular have tremendous admiration for him in respect of the work he did in establishing Semple Stadium as one of the foremost stadia in the country.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

its a misconception to say we want everything for nothing. The idea is a progressive tax system where everyone pays their fair share instead of the current system where ordinary working people pay more then there share. As for Gerry Adams being leader, he has done more for peace on this Island than any other politician

Ireland has one of the most progressive tax systems in the world tbh

Water protest: Campaigner Fr McVerry says Alan Kelly 'is the only minister who understands homelessness'

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/water-protest-campaigner-fr-mcverry-says-alan-kelly-is-the-only-minister-who-understands-homelessness-34390556.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Xenophile wrote: »
    Michael Lowry is tipped to have a very good chance of getting the most first preferences in any constituency. Some commentators say that there are a lot of people in the old constituency of South Tipperary who are happy to have the opportunity to vote for him. Many especially in the heartlands of Tipperary Hurling country in the South West of the county in particular have tremendous admiration for him in respect of the work he did in establishing Semple Stadium as one of the foremost stadia in the country.
    I think ML of all the candidates will be the one to pick up votes in their new area especially around Cashel but I doubt if he will hit the quota.

tipptom wrote: »
    I think ML of all the candidates will be the one to pick up votes in their new area especially around Cashel but I doubt if he will hit the quota.

He will hit quota with some to spare

• Advertisement

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has refused to rule out approaching Tipperary North TD Michael Lowry as possible independent support for any Fine Gael-led government after the election.

It follows reports Deputy Lowry could be involved if Fine Gael needs support from Independents to form a government after the general election.

However Mr Kenny told RTÉ's This Week programme his party does not envisage doing business with any Independents.

Nothing like telling the truth.

Michael Lowry has not given the Government much grief over the last five years and of course this statement from Enda Kenny may help FG candidates with transfers if Mr.Lowry has a surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Michael Lowry is in the High Court on fraud charges to do with an Isle of Man trust. He is known to have taken money from Ben Dunne when he was a minister for FG.

IMO its a feckin disgrace that he's even a public official - says a lot about us as the electorate. What does this bo**ox have to do before we in Tipperary say enough. He's gone too far. No more.

Public officials should be people we can admire and emulate.

IMO he shouldn't even be a public official now, let alone be standing again.

ITS ABOUT TIME WE WOKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

Sorry for the capitals but I'm pissed off with the lack of credibility with our candidates. Why aren't the candidates standing up and saying this man is not fit to hold office because of his lack of moral fibre. Another question I'll be asking them when they knock on my door

-:)

The collapse of the water protesters marches yesterday does not bode well especially for the "don't pay Independents" , two of whom with high profiles are based in the South of the County! People at long last are beginning to see the sense in having a dedicated Water Authority which must be funded by the user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

Xenophile wrote: »
    The collapse of the water protesters marches yesterday does not bode well especially for the "don't pay Independents" , two of whom with high profiles are based in the South of the County! People at long last are beginning to see the sense in having a dedicated Water Authority which must be funded by the user.
    Just because people did not march does not mean they have paid.IW are afraid to say how many did not pay. People already pay through car tax. And don't forget your pal Alan Kelly went around before the last election promising there would be no water charges if labour got in which shows the fraud he is. And a second rate pseudo journalist like seamus martin won't do him much good. Why would anyone believe any lies he tells now

Just because people did not march does not mean they have paid.IW are afraid to say how many did not pay. People already pay through car tax. And don't forget your pal Alan Kelly went around before the last election promising there would be no water charges if labour got in which shows the fraud he is. And a second rate pseudo journalist like seamus martin won't do him much good. Why would anyone believe any lies he tells now

The support for the water charge/we won't pay for anything brigade is waining ,at least by crowds gathering for protests.now really only its the die hard Sinn Fein supporters and the new brigade they've sucked in by their populous vote getting policies .ive said earlier I've never been a labour or Fine Gael supporter but if some take off the rose tinted glasses they should see we've now one of the fastest growing economies in Europe ,dole ques dropping and for the last budget or 2 more money is back in the working man/woman's pocket through less direct tax and higher minimum wages .water charges and house taxes are standard fair in most other countries so why should Ireland be any different

When the "nay sayers" back's are up against the walls they will claw like cats , making allegations that they cannot stand up. Criticising Tipperary's best current affairs Radio Journalist calling him............ "a second rate pseudo journalist" is deplorable and this kind of comment will get no traction from the thousands of listeners he had down through the years. In fact I would say that your post is counter productive!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Has anyone unsure of who to vote for used smart vote yet? Really should if undecided on who you will give your preferences to....

http://www.smartvote.ie/

Has anyone unsure of who to vote for used smart vote yet? Really should if undecided on who you will give your preferences to....

http://www.smartvote.ie/

I had a go at the smartvote.ie

Wasn't very impressed to be honest. All FG & FF Candidates had the same answer and spiel for every answer. If they can't give their own opinion they won't impress me.

• Advertisement

must be a glitch in the system still, I keep doing double posts.

I had a go at the smartvote.ie

Wasn't very impressed to be honest. All FG & FF Candidates had the same answer and spiel for every answer. If they can't give their own opinion they won't impress me.
    I have been speaking to USI officers who have played a role in the creation of the website and they have stated that they and site management will be talking to all candidates to give individual answers and not just the "party" answer. This change will occur over next few weeks ahead of the election

Not sure if this is the forum for it or if its allowed, but would anyone like to say what issues they'll be bringing up with the Candidates on the doorstep. Maybe mention 3 things:

I'll start us off:
    - repeal of the 8th amendment
    - accountability/management in the HSE and government in general
    - housing

sorry about that

must be a glitch in the system still, I keep doing double posts.
    Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. Mods etc already know and are working on it. At least site is online!!
    Not sure if this is the forum for it or if its allowed, but would anyone like to say what issues they'll be bringing up with the Candidates on the doorstep. Maybe mention 3 things:

I'll start us off:
    - repeal of the 8th amendment
    - accountability/management in the HSE and government in general
    - housing
    I'm based in galway as much as tipp and will discuss with any candidates in galway as well as tipp repeal the 8th, student loans/fees/a change from jobbridge to something worthwhile amongst some other issues....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Expunge wrote: »
    So today is the day of the Right2Water demonstration in Clonmel. And it's definitely not an election rally for Seamus Healy (and Seamus Morris to a lesser extent) - no siree, it's about water for sure.
    Those of us who pay for everything in this country will hurry past as we spend precious time with our families before the next work week begins.
    We'll prepare to give back up to 53 per cent of our earnings to the State (which still borrows money to keep going).
    We'll marvel at how our Welfare friends and family members can get worked up about this idea alone while sucking on a Major cigarette or will enjoy a pint or a few cans afterwards.
    The vast majority of the cost of the cigarette or booze is taxation - no demonstration or outrage about that. No outrage from these people about Residential Property Tax or USC.

Were USC and booze designed so corrupt friends of FG could profit from these taxes? When its shown they have I'd be up in arms about them every bit as much as the water charge, until then I still contend its morally wrong to pay a red cent to Irish Water- which isn't the same thing as saying I don't agree with Water charges btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The support for the water charge/we won't pay for anything brigade is waining ,at least by crowds gathering for protests.now really only its the die hard Sinn Fein supporters and the new brigade they've sucked in by their populous vote getting policies .ive said earlier I've never been a labour or Fine Gael supporter but if some take off the rose tinted glasses they should see we've now one of the fastest growing economies in Europe ,dole ques dropping and for the last budget or 2 more money is back in the working man/woman's pocket through less direct tax and higher minimum wages .water charges and house taxes are standard fair in most other countries so why should Ireland be any different

I think you'll find they are rising. Thurles closely followed by Nenagh have the highest unemployment rates in the county. It's increasing month on month.

If it wasn't for schemes like Jobbridge, BTEA, VTOS, TUS, CE, Gateway, Springboard, transfers to Disability/SWA/Pension and emigration the statistics would be a lot higher. None of these are taken account of by the CSO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Talking of water charges,I read on FaceBook,that Irish Water were back in Clonmel today....working near the Gala shop,near the Wilderness..If its true,those wanting the X beside their name, will be out in force again..I thought it ironic,a sign on a pole,about the water march,was down the quay,just in front of the flood barriers.....

Talking of water charges,I read on FaceBook,that Irish Water were back in Clonmel today....working near the Gala shop,near the Wilderness..If its true,those wanting the X beside their name, will be out in force again..I thought it ironic,a sign on a pole,about the water march,was down the quay,just in front of the flood barriers.....

If two politicians get an X beside their name on the ballot paper it is counted as a spoiled vote!

Only one politician can get an X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Just skimming through a lot of posts and it comes up that Lowry is a certainty, it baffles me! He certainly will not be getting many votes in the "southern" constituency and how he is even considered is a joke. The mans dealings have been questionnable to say the least and Tipp would be the laughing stock if he was voted in.

Advertisement