Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

Wow this event really did bring a nostalgic tear to my eye , it reeked of the old Pride days.

Having to watch with Russian commentary was the only bad thing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

29th, 30th and 31st.

I think its only two. Nothing on the 30th showing for me.
    mmapk wrote: »
    The card was an awesome piece of matchmaking for JMMA. it was nuts, bananas and bizarre with great R1 finishes all rolled into a Pride ring.
    An exciting card by all accounts, haven't seen it all yet. But 11/12 fights being finishes, mostly KOs in the first round suggests mismatches rather than good match making.

The Pride nostalgia is great and all, but if they want to survive as an alternative to the UFC, then they need to take it seriously. The novelty/freakshow matches will get tired fast.

Peter Aerts stepping on 2 days notice to fight a 400lb sumo wrestler, is normal in japan.

It's pretty much old pride rules which I haven't seen at event in Japan in a long time. Last time I saw a Dream event even elbows were not permitted to a downed fighter if I correctly recall.

I not a fan of knees to the head on the ground but it does make the guy thing twice about turtling up if a knee or kick can come at him. I am a big fan of the 10 minute marathon 1st round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    I think its only two. Nothing on the 30th showing for me.

An exciting card by all accounts, haven't seen it all yet. But 11/12 fights being finishes, mostly KOs in the first round suggests mismatches rather than good match making.

The Pride nostalgia is great and all, but if they want to survive as an alternative to the UFC, then they need to take it seriously. The novelty/freakshow matches will get tired fast.

Peter Aerts stepping on 2 days notice to fight a 400lb sumo wrestler, is normal in japan.

Was peter Aerts fighting?

Actually what is the deal with elbows at this event, working my way through it , kick/knees are legal on the ground in most fights but elbows aren't in some fights? Are fighters agreeing rules before hand or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was peter Aerts fighting?

He apparently came out during this event and said he is replacing Jerome LeBanner on the 31st. It's all in Japanese so nobody has much of a clue what was said, but the reporting sites are saying they are presenting it as stepping in on 2 days notice.

Most likely, he was LeBanner was out ages ago and Rizin just kept it quiet for the drama.
    Actually what is the deal with elbows at this event, working my way through it , kick/knees are legal on the ground in most fights but elbows aren't in some fights? Are fighters agreeing rules before hand or something ?

Most fights were pride rules, so no elbows.
    One of the matches last night was K-1 rules.
    Another was "Rizin Mixed Rules". Which apparently meant alternating rounds of K-1 and MMA (inclue glove swaps). It was a wrestler v kickboxer match. Ridiculous rule set.

Tomorows card includes a K-1 fight. And the Bob Sapp v Akebono fight is Shoot Boxing rules.
    Which is basically MMA with no ground fighting.

Mellor wrote: »

Most fights were pride rules, so no elbows.
    One of the matches last night was K-1 rules.
    Another was "Rizin Mixed Rules". Which apparently meant alternating rounds of K-1 and MMA (inclue glove swaps). It was a wrestler v kickboxer match. Ridiculous rule set.

Yeah I was familiar with old pride rules which was what caused me to raise an eye brow when I saw elbows were legal in some of the straight up mma fights early on in the card, don't recall last time I saw that at an event in Japan..... if ever ? That said my memory aint what it used to be :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone getting up at 6 to watch tomorrow's card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Anyone getting up at 6 to watch tomorrow's card?

Can it only be watched online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Can it only be watched online?

Not on TV in Ireland AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

RIZIN.
    Tips to watch via Legal stream.
    If anyone uses Chrome to browse the net, add the HOLA extension (google HOLA Chrome) install it.
    goto www.matchtv.ru - Top right click the HOLA button, choose RUSSIA and then click play on the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

mmapk wrote: »
    RIZIN.
    Tips to watch via Legal stream.
    If anyone uses Chrome to browse the net, add the HOLA extension (google HOLA Chrome) install it.
    goto www.matchtv.ru - Top right click the HOLA button, choose RUSSIA and then click play on the stream.

Good man, had Hola installed already too :) Best quality stream around!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I still get very uneasy watching kicks to the head...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Andy Souwer the guy who Aldo flys in for training camp to Brazil is a bad dude.

Kron about to choke someone now.

This announcer is gas. :pac:

Well that was painfully mismatched as we thought it would be.

Only catching up with this now, what happened in the 2nd GP fight ? It came back from ads after found one and the russian was on the gound and the czech was getting his hand raised :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

An absolute embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

Guys,
    Same as before, use Chrome as your browser install the HOLA extension.

rizin.spike.com

Top right, click HOLA and choose USA, 2 days of Rizin with English comms live now.

#BreakfastWithFedor

Paully D wrote: »

That was so staged it was pathetic. And the ring girls laughing behind them. Shocking

• Advertisement

That was so staged it was pathetic. And the ring girls laughing behind them. Shocking

The "fight" was equally pathetic. The heavyweight women's fight was also a farce, it was like they forgot any training they ever did for any martial art, truly shocked and thats saying something given this was a NYE event in japan :D

Peter Aerts I almost felt sorry for. Not a fight I want to see a guy like that in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Paully D wrote: »

That is absolutely hilarious, if that 5ft Japanese man hadn't held him back who knows what chaos could have ensued! :pac:

The "fight" was equally pathetic. The heavyweight women's fight was also a farce, it was like they forgot any training they ever did for any martial art, truly shocked and thats saying something given this was a NYE event in japan :D

Peter Aerts I almost felt sorry for. Not a fight I want to see a guy like that in :(

I didn't see the fights but I could imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I didn't see the fights but I could imagine

The Sapp fight was an absolute farce. Fedor fight was a joke. In fairness King Mo delivered a pretty decent ko but not sure how good his opponent was.

Did anyone see Andy Souwer's fight? Was that a tooth Nagashima spat out :D

The Sapp fight was an absolute farce. Fedor fight was a joke. In fairness King Mo delivered a pretty decent ko but not sure how good his opponent was.

In fairness if you lose to akebono then it's time to hang up your gloves. But sapp should've done that years ago anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did anyone see Andy Souwer's fight? Was that a tooth Nagashima spat out :D
    Was that the same Nagashima who knocked out Aoki in one of my favourite 'mma' memories a few years ago? Did he come out dressed as little bo beep or anything? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That's a woman ?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I see she's a product of the Cathal Pendred school of striking.

Advertisement