Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

deiseach wrote: »

thats very nice and dignified. I'd expect a Zidane styled headbutt for those..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

This is just getting bizarre now.

It sure is. I can see an easy future for referees if those criticising Maurice get their way. If a ref sees a player's lips move - yellow card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It sure is. I can see an easy future for referees if those criticising Maurice get their way. If a ref sees a player's lips move - yellow card.

Basically leave James Owens referee all the matches

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

lawred2 wrote: »
    he's bang on...

How did he make an eejit of himseld?
    Brennan made a proper eejit of himself. If you cant see the FULL IMPLICATIONS of the meaning of Brennan's tweet, go back and read it a few times. By the way He FAILED to commenton the the verbals from some Dublin players as Shanahan stepped up to take frees. Was that unsporting? Will be interesting to watch in future to see will Brennan criticise Kilkenny players.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    Brennan made a proper eejit of himself. If you cant see the FULL IMPLICATIONS of the meaning of Brennan's tweet, go back and read it a few times. By the way He FAILED to comment at the the verbals from some Dublin players as Shanahan stepped up to take frees. Was that unsporting? Will be interesting to watch in future to see will Brennan criticise Kilkenny players.

I'm reminded of a comment made on the old An Fear Rua website by a person unknown when faced with the ability of 'Stubborn Nore', a columnist on said site (now writing occasional columns in the print media) to explain the difference between Kilkenny's playing-on-the-edge and everyone else's filth. Something along the lines of "it's okay when done by the descendant of sturdy Norman yeomanry". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

culbaire wrote: »
    Brennan made a proper eejit of himself. If you cant see the FULL IMPLICATIONS of the meaning of Brennan's tweet, go back and read it a few times. By the way He FAILED to comment at the the verbals from some Dublin players as Shanahan stepped up to take frees. Was that unsporting? Will be interesting to watch in future to see will Brennan criticise Kilkenny players.

Brennan is hardly the most neutral analyst. Remember his go at Barry Kelly after last years All Ireland Final. Used his position on the Sunday game to try and influence the referee in the replay. Same is happening with Maurice now. The best thing we could all do is not get dragged into debates like this. Focus on KK in two weeks because there're most definitely focusing on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Regardless of the foul blow from Rushe, I thought it was embarrassing that a senior county hurler, a leading player in what it held as one of the toughest field sport in the world fell to the ground like wet paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Regardless of the foul blow from Rushe, I thought it was embarrassing that a senior county hurler, a leading player in what it held as one of the toughest field sport in the world fell to the ground like wet paper bag.

you should try getting hit in the head with a Hurley from a lad the size of Rushe and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think Mr. Eddie "holier than thou, and twice as cute" Brennan, has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve, look at the last 3 pages of this thread, and yesterday, a Waterford team, qualified for an All Ireland semi final Game v afformentioned cutearse's beloved county, and all everyone is talking about on here or on Line is how Waterfords most dangerous Attacking and scoring threat , is a right twisted individual, who purposely provoked the poor little three times sent off for very similer events, Dublin Innocent, into Slapping out with his hurl, as his ears were bleeding , and he could not take it any more, I'm so so sorry[again], but he made me do it with his nasty words, i'm just not used to that sort of thing, ha ha ha , get a grip, No body here can Know what was said, but everyone here has an Opinion, yet the only thing we can all be confident about, is Maurice got punched [article 1] Kneed[article 2] and Slapped with a hurley in the face [i know he had a guard up], so any more tlk on this is just tramps running with Fr Eddie holier than thou's agenda, **** it, bigger fish to fry, Some Game by Maurice, and if anyone think Dublin were shy on the verbal's should have been pitch side, Dublin for ****'s sake , its an art.

• Advertisement

I think Mr. Eddie "holier than thou, and twice as cute" Brennan, has achieved exactly what he set out to achieve, look at the last 3 pages of this thread, and yesterday, a Waterford team, qualified for an All Ireland semi final Game v afformentioned cutearse's beloved county, and all everyone is talking about on here or on Line is how Waterfords most dangerous Attacking and scoring threat , is a right twisted individual, who purposely provoked the poor little three times sent off for very similer events, Dublin Innocent, into Slapping out with his hurl, as his ears were bleeding , and he could not take it any more, I'm so so sorry[again], but he made me do it with his nasty words, i'm just not used to that sort of thing, ha ha ha , get a grip, No body here can Know what was said, but everyone here has an Opinion, yet the only thing we can all be confident about, is Maurice got punched [article 1] Kneed[article 2] and Slapped with a hurley in the face [i know he had a guard up], so any more tlk on this is just tramps running with Fr Eddie holier than thou's agenda, **** it, bigger fish to fry, Some Game by Maurice, and if anyone think Dublin were shy on the verbal's should have been pitch side, Dublin for ****'s sake , its an art.

I don't think he is that devious. Follow the replies and you can see he was badly floundering. It's like how Tadhg Kennelly thought he was being a right cute hoor by fessing up to clobbering Nicholas Murphy in the 2009 All-Ireland final. Then when he realised people didn't take too kindly to such thuggery he started walking it back. In a similar vein, the penny dropped with Brennan pretty quickly that he was going to have to label everyone who engages in sledging - "nothing worse" than it when combined with losing, apparently - as being unsporting. When Tomás Mul gives you a clip in the ear, you know you've screwed up.

redlead wrote: »
    you should try getting hit in the head with a Hurley from a lad the size of Rushe and see how you get on.
    It was a sending off offence, I have no trouble with that. But it wasn't anything forceful enough to deserve the way Shanahan collapsed to the ground.

It looked like a glancing blow there was little force behind it to my eyes. Rushe was right to be shown the line and I'm not condoning the action; but I'd be embarrassed looking at that replay if I was Maurice. If that's all that it takes to put him on the ground I wouldn't hold out much hope of Waterford lifting the McCarty cup.

redlead wrote: »
    It was a sending off offence, I have no trouble with that. But it wasn't anything forceful enough to deserve the way Shanahan collapsed to the ground.

It looked like a glancing blow there was little force behind it to my eyes. Rushe was right to be shown the line and I'm not condoning the action; but I'd be embarrassed looking at that replay if I was Maurice. If that's all that it takes to put him on the ground I wouldn't hold out much hope of Waterford lifting the McCarty cup.

I don't know what post you are replying to, but it wasn't the one by redlead.

Edit: the more I think about it, the idea that our chances of winning the All-Ireland are contingent on a player staying on his feet when he gets slapped in the face with a hurley . . . Mountainlad is right, we're in the fecking Twilight Zone at this stage.

It was, hence why I quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Yeah because KK have never goaded anyone! While i wish Maurice didn't act like that in fairness to him Dublin players were at it when he was taking the frees.

It was, hence why I quoted it.

It isn't, because you make no reference to all those times you've been hit in the head with a hurley by someone the size of Liam Rushe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Yeah because KK have never goaded anyone! While i wish Maurice didn't act like that in fairness to him Dublin players were at it when he was taking the frees.

According to a few here he was, I was at the game and saw no such instances and have seen the TV coverage, absolutely no sign of any verbals towards Shanahan, someone claimed here that Ryan O'Dwyer and Danny Suttcliffe were at it, the two were never even in teh sdame half of the field as him ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

2 months away from winning Celtic Cross I give you John Gardiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aooeBlLQfhA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hey sid any chance you will be 'penning/keying' some prose on the deise a la your an fear rua days. You made a few cameos last year but 'rud ar bit' an blian seo??

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Edit: the more I think about it, the idea that our chances of winning the All-Ireland are contingent on a player staying on his feet when he gets slapped in the face with a hurley . . . Mountainlad is right, we're in the fecking Twilight Zone at this stage.

Lads. Can we stop all is bullsh-- talk. Our team are in a semi final. Against the best team in the country for the last 10 or more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

<SNIP>
    Any update on Connors, is he the only injury we've got after yesterday?
    Richie Power, Tyrrell and Mick Fennelly look like doubts for Kilkenny, which are big losses if any/all are not fit in time. Its a massive ask for us to beat them, this year has seen brilliant progress made so far regardless of if we win lose or draw. Bookies are giving us no chance and doubt anyone else will either. I'd be hoping for a belter of a game that we're competitive in as it'll stand to the younger players in the long term, we'll see how our system stands up to the ultimate acid test as well as you can be sure Cody has a few ideas on how to tackle it. Hopefully we pull off an upset, with the way we're playing you'd never know how it'll pan out. Can't wait for a week Sunday to roll around!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Lads. Can we stop all is bullsh-- talk. Our team are in a semi final. Against the best team in the country for the last 10 or more years.

Sorry sent last post without finishing. What a fantastic management team and bunch of players we have. And yes I was critical 6 months ago. But let us all get behind Derek and the Biys and ugnire these posters who come on here just to stir things. Some team for next day for me. Roll on the 9th and The Deise.
    Sorry Boys and ignore and same before I'm pulled on my spelling. Probably other mistakes also. Hard to type on these phones and have a pint at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

I'm reminded of a comment made on the old An Fear Rua website by a person unknown when faced with the ability of 'Stubborn Nore', a columnist on said site (now writing occasional columns in the print media) to explain the difference between Kilkenny's playing-on-the-edge and everyone else's filth. Something along the lines of "it's okay when done by the descendant of sturdy Norman yeomanry". :D
    Nice one!! Hopefully we can knock the smile off Eddie's face in two weeks time. Would love to see his face if the Cats were beaten. It seems from what I hear that he was even whinging about boundary extensions which might lead to Waterford grabbing a few Cats players. The meows are red hot favourites. Nice to be going in as underdogs. The Cats supporters don't rate Waterford. Today they were talking about who their opponents would be in the final.

I've zipped through the game from start to finish on Sky+ for the purposes of my blog and can find three instances of Maurice giving verbals or whatnot to Liam Rushe. Not once did he do it with anyone else. On two of those occasions Rushe gave as good as he got, including the bit which ended with him slapping Maurice in the head with his hurley.<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Edit: the more I think about it, the idea that our chances of winning the All-Ireland are contingent on a player staying on his feet when he gets slapped in the face with a hurley.

Well you won't win one by rolling around around theatrically like a Premiership diva, for certain.

For contrast, see T. Walsh ( 9 All Ireland's,9 All Stars) v B. Dunne, All Ireland Final 2009, about 54 mins in ;)

Well you won't win one by rolling around around theatrically like a Premiership diva, for certain.

As 3ships pointed out, you are wrong. Try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

We obviously have different understandings of the word condone. To be clear for you: I am not excusing, pardoning, over looking, forgiving or even approving of Rushe's behaviour.

You seem to be intent of shutting down any highlighting of Shanahan's behaviour by throwing accusations of condoning Rushe's strike around. As uncomfortable as it may be for you, Shanahan had a big role in the sending off of Rushe and his behaviour was unsporting
    Rushe had thee biggest role in Rushe's sending off ,,dirty tramp

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

For contrast, see T. Walsh ( 9 All Ireland's,9 All Stars) v B. Dunne, All Ireland Final 2009, about 54 mins in ;)
    Tommy Walsh hit everyone in the game ,even split a referee open ,snake on the outside of a melee and hit the ref ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Tommy Walsh hit everyone in the game ,even split a referee open ,snake on the outside of a melee and hit the ref ,

Was it not the 2011 final he spilt the ref open? I had landed in Oz watching it and seeing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Rushe has anger management issues, while Maurice on the other hand is more of a school playground bully, 2 fairly complex characters came head to head on Sunday. Maurice got a slap of a hurl while Rushe I feel will get a slap of a fairly hefty suspension. Hopefully both lads will learn from their respective punishments! A lot has been made of it but time to move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement