Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    How did Cork get on today?

I don't see why Waterford are getting written off already for the Semi, we have a good chance against them.

Headine I want to see on the Indo 10th August:
    Delightful Deise dethrone the Cats.

Wishful thinking but you never know....

I was being sarcastic. TTM said Cork would beat us if they played us a third time this year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Delighted for the Déise men (and I say this as a gutted Rebel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

deisedude wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic. TTM said Cork would beat us if they played us a third time this year

Pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Theres a difference between that and goading an opposing player when the game was won. Its lack of respect. Hed do well to remember the many bad days hes had himself. Thats all im saying.

That's exactly what we need against kilkenny -good manners and 'respect'. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Eddie Brennan has made a proper eejit of himself with a silly tweet on Liam Rush incident

"No excuse for Liam rush but nothing worse than being beaten & getting verbals from your opponent #sportsmanship"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

culbaire wrote: »
    Eddie Brennan has made a proper eejit of himself with a silly tweet on Liam Rush incident

"No excuse for Liam rush but nothing worse than being beaten & getting verbals from your opponent #sportsmanship"

Probly just drunk on wine from the Sunday game dinner lol when he tweeted that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Personally i didn't like to see that from Maurice at the end no need for it imo. Looking forward to the semi, virtually nobody will give us a hope of winning hopefully we go up and really put in a full 70 min performance because if we do we can give them a serious game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I don't know why Eddie is on the panel as he's a very poor pundit. I have to say fair play to the Sunday game in general though. They've really freshened things up nicely and both Shefflin and Donal Og give a very good analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Hon the Deise ,great win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Personally i didn't like to see that from Maurice at the end no need for it imo. Looking forward to the semi, virtually nobody will give us a hope of winning hopefully we go up and really put in a full 70 min performance because if we do we can give them a serious game.

The game was over when this happened - It was the 72nd minute - there was only one minute of injury time so the match should have been blown off.

Can't understand why RTE had to show it all and even replay it after the game and analyise the incident .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The game was over when this happened - It was the 72nd minute - there was only one minute of injury time so the match should have been blown off.

Can't understand why RTE had to show it all and even replay it after the game and analyise the incident .

They're **** stirrers, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Lads just on the posts here on Maurice Shanahans behaviour today. I was unlucky enough to be sitting in the uncovered section of the old stand nearly on pict level and noticed Maurice getting verbals every time he was hitting a free from both Ryan o Dwyer and Danny suttcliffe if he reacted to them in the same way rush did we would of lost the game. As for Eddie Brennan's comments, in fairness I don't think Kilkenny do verbals or tactics please now lads stop. Maurice has stepped up for this team in a big way it's brilliant to see and the way he was on the pitch today is the way he plays for lismore with a bit of madness and swagger I for one was delighted to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Good win today. Thought we were easily the better team without ever really hitting top gear, which we'd have to do to have any chance of beating Kilkenny. Maurice, Moran and Shane bennet was sublime and the skill and workrate was top notch. it's been a great year so far and looking forward to Croker is 2 weeks. deise abu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

While delighted and fully deserving the win today IMO

If they play like they did he the first half today againest kk....they'll get eaten without salt

Though I do think they had loads left in the reserve and never really hit top performance

However unlikely/up againest it theyay be....imagine the possibility of knocking kk outta the championship!!
    We can but dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Eddie Brennan clearly pulling his black and amber geansaí back on in advance of the semi final and stirring things a bit.

Shefflin as well in his analysis tonight had similar loyalty when he mentioned that Glynn was the best fielder in the game, outside of TJ Reid. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

What changes would lads like to see against Kilkenny.
    Personally the only change I'd like to see is Patrick Curran in for Dunford, who is no doubt a very good player but his shooting really does leave him down.

Lots of excellent performances again today but for me none more so than from Brick. His importance to this Waterford team cannot be underestimated and love the way he wins possession and brings others players into the game. Thought Philip Mahony was excellent in the backs and up front Moran, Bennett and Shanahan.

Jamie Barron was industrious but would like him to leave the ball go alot faster. Too much soloing that fails to produce the end product.

If we perform like we did in the 2nd half against Kilkenny we can really test them.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Would be a tough call to leave Dunford out for the semi as he did score 2 pts today and his pace and workrate is definitley an asset.I think Paddy is pushing for the start but he's being doing well as an impact sub along with Devine, its mad to think the talent at our disposal now really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Connors will be touch and go for 2 weeks time.

I'd worry for the likes of Shane Bennett against KK just in terms of him being so young against such a physical and experienced outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

hardybuck wrote: »
    Connors will be touch and go for 2 weeks time.

I'd worry for the likes of Shane Bennett against KK just in terms of him being so young against such a physical and experienced outfit.

Yeah I have to say the thoughts of Bennetts, Dunford, Paddy Curran coming up against the likes of Tyrell and Paul Murphy is a bit daunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say the thoughts of Bennetts, Dunford, Paddy Curran coming up against the likes of Tyrell and Paul Murphy is a bit daunting!

**** it we will forfeit the match. Derek mcgrath will walk out in croke park when the waterford team are being introduced and wave a white flag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    **** it we will forfeit the match. Derek mcgrath will walk out in croke park when the waterford team are being introduced and wave a white flag.

If you had your way wed be doing that for every match

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Cake Man wrote: »

Tyrell is out as far as i know, i think he has a fractured wrist or some sort of hand injury.
    Just looked at the Kilkenny site after posting its actually a broken bone in his foot

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Tyrell is out as far as i know, i think he has a fractured wrist or some sort of hand injury.
    Just looked at the Kilkenny site after posting its actually a broken bone in his foot

Richie Power will be touch and go as per KK boards.

Either way it will be a tough ask. I feel if they are to do it they will have to be far far more aggresive than they have been to date.

Looking at KK forward, Richie Hogan Larkin and Reid are the real leaders.
    for me if we can stifle those guys we can win.

I think besides P Murphy we can get to KK at the back, espeically if the likes of Tyrell is out, not sure who their corner back cover is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'd have no fear throwing Shane Bennett in against KK. He's a strong lad and not afraid to hit a shoulder, (look at yesterday when he was running through on goal) I would think it's a bit early for Paddy Curran to start, just my opinion, he does seem a bit lighter and I don't think he's ready for Paul Murphy or Jackie Tyrell yet.
    I don't think Colin Dunford should start the next day, he should relax more on the ball and run at people, getting a free or a sideline is much better than his over the shoulder hit and hope, he's a good lad and will be important to us in the future, but we can't afford to hit so many wides in 2 weeks. That leaves, Daniels, Barrett, Devine and Stephen Bennett for a starting place against KK. Daniels could go half back and push Darragh Fives into midfield, Barrett could go midfield and leave Kevin Moran half forward or the other 2 lads could go straight into the full forward line.
    Also, what did ye think of Darragh Fives moving to the full back line yesterday when Daniels came on? Imo, Fives has more hurling than Daniels so it was a bit strange seeing him getting pushed back to the full back line and leave Daniels out the field.
    Personally I'd love to see Stephen Bennett or Tom Devine start in the full forward line alongside Maurice or Shane Bennett, we need 2 in there at least, I really hope Derek doesn't withdraw and leave 1 inside, we will give away so much ball to their full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

While Maurice did well he should have been shown a second yellow for the incident. He held onto Rush's hurley for 30 seconds. Rush lost the rag.Needs to take that rubbish out of his game. Gleeson was lucky too on a second yellow on the foul on Dotsy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fair play to Waterford for a good win yesterday. Dubs were poor though.

However could someone have a word in young Shanahan's ear that that goading and sledging carry on he seems to engage in only serves to make him look a proper twat..

His hurling does enough talking... so why the d!ckhead act?

Personally; I'd have liked to have seen him sent off with Liam Rushe. No action by the ref for Shanahan's part only encourages such dickhead antics

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

he's bang on...

How did he make an eejit of himseld?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Good win, good performance with a more positive approach. Good to see Darragh Fives and Stephen Daniel's back in the fray and coped well with the loss of Noelie Connnors. This game will do both lads the world of good and increases our options. Thought all played well but there as certainly more in them, Dunford had some poor wides, but having watched a recording of the game last night he did create lots of trouble for Dublin defence and is definitely much more of a threat close to goal. Felt as the game progressed we improved as a team, in the first half we were not inclined to lay off the ball going for our own scores but it the second half got two excellent goals with unselfish play.

On Maurice Rushe incident, maybe i missed something but from what i can gather there is a lot of assumption on the part of pundits and posters on here. Everyone assumes that Maurice was the instigator and aggressor of any verbals, but no one heard what was being said or heard what went on during the game. What we did see was first Rushe kicked at Maurice and then slapped him across the head, and it is all about poor Rushe and what Maurice might have said to provoke him. Back in 2002 Ken got absolutely slated for hitting Gerry Quinn of Clare and there was no pundit rushing to his defence, the opposite in fact it was basically a case of that kind of verbals goes on but should never result in the use of a hurley. Maurice has had his own share of troubles and has had more that his fair share of criticism. yesterday he turned in a complete performance and you can be damn sure he took more that his fair share of punishment, and there is no county out there that does not resort to verbals. This holier than thou attitude gets on my goat. Tom Dempsey on the radio when talking about Galway's performance once again harped back to "Waterford's fist pumping" as if we were the only team to ever do this - rubbish , there if nothing wrong with a bit of passion.

On the next day v KK. I believe if we can continue to develop as a team, as we have done and take this as just one more game, we have a real chance of creating an upset. Do not think we should start Patrick Curran, previous experience of launching young players into full championship starting debuts in All Ireland Semi finals have proven to be the wrong decision, i.e. Shane O'Sullivan in 2004 v KK and Brian O'Halloran against Tipp (in 2010 I think). There is too much hype and and expectation. for me starting line up yesterday was very strong and we had loads of options from the bench if things not going right ,so assuming all fit, same again for me please. The ability to able to spring the likes of Curran, Stephen Bennett, Daniels, O'Halloran, Barrett, Prendergast, Devine, O'Brien and others from the bench is a luxury we have not had in my memory anyway.

We go in as underdogs but who cares, the prize of victory for this young side is phenomenal, a defeat fro this young side would be a valuable part of a learning curve. Against Tipp I felt we were a little reserved, this time i hope we can hurl without fear and improve on little things from yesterday and let the result take care of itself.

Final word of note going back to yesterday, do not like to single out players as such, but specials words of mention for Brick and Moran, those two young fellas showed true leadership and determination and inspired those around them. If anyone deserves to be part of a side that were to banish the ghosts of 2008 those two lads do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

100% blue flame. Mullane was villainized over getting sent off v Cork and it held against him every time he went out after for about 8 years. Rushe is one of the good guys of hurling though so he will always be exonerated.

The fist pumping thing is hilarious. Part of Henry Shefflin getting hurler of the year in 2012 was his leadership in the drawn final aka geeing up fellas, harping onto the referee and basically doing the same crowd rising that were synonymous with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Roy Coates

Is this the same Eddie Brennan who nearly decapitated Stephen Lucey at the beginning of the 2007 All Ireland, with as filthy a stroke as I've seen on a hurling field?
    ****ing hypocrite!!!

Anyway all that aside you'd have to be happy with yesterday. It was always a potential banana skin and we navigated it successfully. Job done and we move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement