Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Just read a piece on Stephan Daniels on the papers. He has been out since 2012, forgot how long he was out for. He has been putting ice on his knee every day for the last 2 and a half years. Now thats commitment fair play to him. Played well when he got the call. Thats what Waterford need players that can overcome adversity and he's not alone.

I'm a great fan of Daniels, i think hes going to be a serious half back in the next few years, that's where I'd put him anyway.

With someone of his and D fives calibre, Connors loss wont be as hard felt ( if he can't make it)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Here's an alternative 15 we could see (Que the jokes about formation)

S O' Keeffe

S Fives---B Coughlan---N Connors

T De Burca

S Daniels--D Fives--P Mahoney

K Moran
    J Barron

J Dillon---M Walsh---A Gleeson

---M Shanahan---S Bennett---

This except i'd put Daniels in the corner and leave Noel pick up Richie Hogan. The best man marker we have and probably one of the best in the country at it.

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    This except i'd put Daniels in the corner and leave Noel pick up Richie Hogan. The best man marker we have and probably one of the best in the country at it.

But then who loses out?

I see guys on here saying Dunford should be dropped but I'd disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

HillFarmer wrote: »
    But then who loses out?

I see guys on here saying Dunford should be dropped but I'd disagree with that.

Actually from the above team that Hatchetman has id probably replace Dillon with Dunford. Id basically go with

Sok
    Fives, Coughlan, Daniels
    TDB
    Fives, Connors (mm Hogan) Mahoney,
    Moran Barron
    Dunford, Walsh, Gleeson,
    Bennett, Shanahan

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P0DYa7zu8

How many all Ireland's did Cha win again?

Surprised at you using that one ML (regardless of the idiocy of the comment you were responding to), Cha got Tom Kenny's hurl to the nuts and had to be stretchered off, there was no faking it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

It would take some cojones to drop Dunford at this stage. Then again, that's what management are there for - to make the hard decisions...

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Actually from the above team that Hatchetman has id probably replace Dillon with Dunford. Id basically go with

Sok
    Fives, Coughlan, Daniels
    TDB
    Fives, Connors (mm Hogan) Mahoney,
    Moran Barron
    Dunford, Walsh, Gleeson,
    Bennett, Shanahan

Check out the first two minutes of the all ireland replay last year.
    The amount of blocks KK get in is ridiculous, sets the tone early.
    In regards to workrate we'll have to be vicious if we've any chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1t9VrhG34

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭skaface

Does anyone know uf there Will there be "match specials" trains going directly to Connolly station from Waterford for the semi final ??
    I presume there would be enough demand for at least two of them.. Especially with the crowd going the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

If Waterford are to win, they need to believe in their own game and keep focused all the time from start to finish with a savage work rate. Alot of talk about RichiesHogan who is a fabulous player and about how he hurt Galway. That was because he played deep off the centre back and found alot of space around midfield. This is where Barron has a vital roll to play, if de Burca Continues to play just in front of the back three, Barron will most likely find himself face to face with Hogan a lot of the time and if going to have to pick him up on breaking balls. Incidentally I feel that Barron has the right temperament to do that like Hogan he is relatively small and nippy with fast feet and a low center of gravity. Remember how effective he was as a corner back at underage. Don't agree with man to man marking because it is to easy to drag defences apart and create space to run into and KK forwards will absolutely love that. Equally with TJ Reid we need to be sure that a very tight reign is kept on him and double teamed as often as possible. I believe Moran and Gleeson running from midfield will be key along with a savage work rate from the forwards hassling and harrying the KK back and not giving them time to pick their clearances.

Key also will be the use of our bench, This will not doubt with the level of work rate expected be a 20 man game. Subs will play a key part and for once I feel that potentially we have a bench to match the KK one, especially with the potential injuries they face. Felt we were a bit slow the last day to use the bench and were tiring in the last few minutes,. We will need to act quicker on Sunday week.

Am looking forward to a mighty battle. KK are justifiably favourites and are an excellent side but are not unbeatable. Forget about last years result in Nolan Park, we are a million miles from there now, and forget about 2008, water under the bridge. Our lads must believe in themselves and have no fear of the KK jersey, it is the players inside the jersey that win the game, not the jersey itself. Likewise history and tradition might help, but they will not win the game.

Waterford despite the odds being stacked against them have earned their right to their place in this semi-final. They have come from a position where they were no hopers for promotion from 1B at the start of the year having been drawn away to their three main rivals for promotion Limerick, Offaly and Wexford. They overcame that challenge. They overcame Galway, Tipp and Cork to win the league when no one had given them a prayer at the outset. They lost Pauric Mahony after the league final and according to the pundits with him went our chances of progress as we were totally reliant on our free taker - it didn't happen. Cork were to catch us with a backlash, but did they no. Tipp would put manners on us, despite what many would have you believe, i believe they far from did this. I believe there was very little in it and i don't buy into this second or third gear rubbish either. Tipp needed to win that Munster Final more than we did and on their home ground too.

Dublin had a big game in them and Tipp had found out our system, and how would the team deal with their first loss of the year. They dealt with these issues without too much fuss.

I am confident that we can put it up to KK and we are capable of triumphing. Our side are not too young, seize the day. I am expecting a tight game that will go very close to the wire and praying we come out on the right side but more than anything else i am hoping to see a Waterford side who honestly believe that they are where they deserve to be and show no fear - i do not expect to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

To TTM, just looking back at a post from 13th of December last, and my reply to you. What is your opinion now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thinkstoomuch1
    Lost by six points high scoring game
    Third loss in row last week in wexford, Galway and now dublin beat them
    You would hope for sake Waterford hurling mcgrath gets sacked as soon as possible

and then TTM
    Don't get excited, I'm not making insult Waterford merely saying many geuine real real knowledge Waterford fans know there's real trouble in the camp , two coaches gone, players gone, etc not happy camp

Fellas like yourself are always around credit due can't see what realism shows but just like cork football don't critise the shambles exists and say ah its woeful but hey don't be harsh thinks can only get better

Waterford played tonight as individuals not team talent is there but no team work
    I think many Waterford fans here disagree your view ye beat cork under current set up
    Cork have problems yes but Waterford management won't expose them
    That's not geuinely being arrogant, it's called realism.

cascade12
    Maybe you should concentrate on the state of Cork hurling. Agreed, Derek McGath did not have a great first year in charge but looking to sack a manager after 3 challenge matches in December is a little over the top. He has brought in an excellent coach in Fintan O Connor who has led Cappoquin to a County and Munster title in his first year with the club and winning a Fitzgibbon with WIT earlier in the year. He also did an excellent job with Fourmilewater previous to that, and I have no doubt will be a very good addition to the Waterford set up.
    FWIW I was at the game tonight and was very pleased with what I saw from a very experimental side. Jamie Barron was very good at centre field as was Brick at centre and full forward, Paudie Mahoney and Mickey Kearney impressed also against a good and very fit and athletic Dublin team. Look out for Barron at midfield next year, quality.
    If I was you , I would be more than a little worried about Waterford next June. You might then be wishing that it was JBM who should have been sacked. For the sake of Cork hurling I hope he is not even though they were a shambles against Tipp in the semi. But lets give him and McGrath the next year before passing judgement and dont forget we could go back and inspect JBMs, Eamon O Sheas or even the great Brian Codys first year in charge and it might not make for great reading. So lets stop the witch hunt and discuss the games we attend, and not depend on second hand information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Formosa wrote: »
    Surprised at you using that one ML (regardless of the idiocy of the comment you were responding to), Cha got Tom Kenny's hurl to the nuts and had to be stretchered off, there was no faking it there.

To be honest I was responding in kind. It was a really dirty stroke by Tom Kenny. It's the first time I've ever seen a lad be stretchered off having been hit in the balls though but like somebody said about Maurice I'm not gonna volunteer to find out if the stretcher really was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

To be honest I was responding in kind. It was a really dirty stroke by Tom Kenny. It's the first time I've ever seen a lad be stretchered off having been hit in the balls though but like somebody said about Maurice I'm not gonna volunteer to find out if the stretcher really was necessary.

I saw a clubmate lose a nut in a game years ago, stretcher wasn't much use for the lad at all at the time...

Ropaire wrote: »
    I saw a clubmate lose a nut in a game years ago, stretcher wasn't much use for the lad at all at the time...

I can only imagine the strike was a lot worse than Kennys even in saying his was awful to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I can only imagine the strike was a lot worse than Kennys even in saying his was awful to see.

He took a sliotar full force though, what Kenny did didn't seem to have the force to do much damage if we're honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Where do all the half decent seats go these days? It doesn't matter whether I get them through club, online or supervalue, they always seem to be off the far end of the stand. It's pretty bad to try to offload all the worst seats first.

On the Dublin game, in his constant pessimism PTH made a decent point regarding Dublins prep for the game.

They had 4 championship matches under their belt and some confidence having won two on he bounce. I've watched the first half and though we didn't hit the levels we should be hitting they hurled well. By contrast, though the Munster final was only two weeks ago before that we'd been waiting 5 weeks and 5 weeks again for a match. Kilkenny have an awesome record in semi finals to be fair so on the face of it the 5 week break wouldn't be an issue but last year they were now victors v Limerick, and I recall the 2008 all Ireland semi final it was quite close between themselves and Cork until Larkin goaled after about 25 minutes. Compare that to 2012 when they had the quarter final and it was probably their best ever performance in a semi final.

Anyway a lot was made of Waterford getting the breaks whatever that means, but between Shane Bennetts fresh air effort at goal and SOKs hard luck with the goal Id argue against that. Much was made of the 10 minutes after half time too, but Dublin got the last 3 scores before half time too.

Jamie Barron was close to man of the match for me. In contrast to what someone said earlier, he never seems to waste a ball for me and gets on some load of it. There's some difference between the close control skill in tight spots exhibited by himself, Shane Bennett and even Partick Currans quick thinking for the second goal compared to Kevin Morans. I know what Moran brings to the team and its a lot but he ran into trouble twice in the first half and constantly has problems picking the ball up in matches I notice. Hurley looks a bit long. I do remember an interview with him last year where he talked about the soccer and said he was a bit late to commuting to hurling and wouldn't be he most natural hurler. Still gets some brilliant long range scores and takes the game to the opposition.

As for the next Id ideally like to see 5 forwards, Brick wing Aussie center and both Maurice and Bennett swapping out between wing and full for the game. Leave Dunford in the full forward line for the whole game. I think Joyce can be got at and Aussie is he man to do it as he can punish mistakes and compete in the air plus run at him too. Brick can or deployed on whichever wing backs influence needs to be curbed the most, both are class. And then on the other switched Maurice and Bennett to keep them guessing.

Midfield would probably be Moran and Darragh Fives if he was fit enough but I think that's where the problem lies in that it requires Darragh and Daniels to start and both are only really just back so it's asking a lot. Bourke would sit deep and Barron would cover in behind midfield, letting Hogan off if he decides to go back into his own half.

I think though it'll be the same team that started the last day with Austin Gleeson around the middle with Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

redlead wrote: »
    Where do all the half decent seats go these days? It doesn't matter whether I get them through club, online or supervalue, they always seem to be off the far end of the stand. It's pretty bad to try to offload all the worst seats first.

Clubs, county board and season ticket holders and rightly so tbf. Worth remembering as well that tickets for the semi final have been on sale for a couple of months now. Nuetrals and KK fans would have been able to get good seats some weeks back. There was still 304 lower Cusack seats available last Sunday afternoon after the match though.

Mind you there really isn't a bad view in croker anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

redlead wrote: »

We got tickets for the Leinster final in the ticket office in Drumcondra the day of the game.
    We were in 406,the old Ard Comhairle.

I wouldn't panic about crap tickets at all, there will be good ones released next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

skaface wrote: »
    Does anyone know uf there Will there be "match specials" trains going directly to Connolly station from Waterford for the semi final ??
    I presume there would be enough demand for at least two of them.. Especially with the crowd going the next day
    most definitely 1 going ,departs 10.15 from what i hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Youd be hard pressed to get a train direct to Connolly from Waterford considering the trainline ends at Heuston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭skaface

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Youd be hard pressed to get a train direct to Connolly from Waterford considering the trainline ends at Heuston

Tell you what you know about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Special Train always serves Connolly. Was a big deal but motorway there now it's handy enough to get there. And no need for the Chartered flights of 2004

Just looking back over previous posts on team selection. I wouldn't drop Dunford but it is great to see the discussion and the options are there.
    Another thing is that I remember going up to semi finals with the cats thinking only Mullane, Brick or maybe Moran would get a look in with our esteemed neighbours. It is different now but granted the like of Hogan and Reid and Larkin are just outstanding.
    Still if you picked a combined team and only for fun

Murphy
    Murphy
    Fives
    Connors
    Fives
    Bourke
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Moran
    Reid
    Hogan
    Brick
    Larkin
    Shan
    Gleeson

3ships wrote: »
    Just looking back over previous posts on team selection. I wouldn't drop Dunford but it is great to see the discussion and the options are there.
    Another thing is that I remember going up to semi finals with the cats thinking only Mullane, Brick or maybe Moran would get a look in with our esteemed neighbours. It is different now but granted the like of Hogan and Reid and Larkin are just outstanding.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Fives
    Connors
    Fives
    Bourke
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Moran
    Reid
    Hogan
    Brick
    Larkin
    Shan
    Gleeson

SOK was the 1st choice WIT keeper at Fitzgibbon ahead of Murphy albeit Murphy was able to be accommodated out the field where he is good on the frees. Being a bit generous to us otherwise to be fair. Colin Fennelly would surely have to be in there, Walter Walsh aswell. Although going on current form most lads on our tam would challenge for a place on the KK team.

Tell you what you know about it..

It was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Murphy
    Murphy
    Fives
    Connors
    Fives
    Bourke
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Moran
    Reid
    Hogan
    Brick
    Larkin
    Shan
    Gleeson

Ha ha you may get some shtick from some Kilkenny posters on that team but tbf Shane Fives/Holden and Darragh Fives/Walsh and i suppose brick/colin fennelly are the only ones that they could debate imo. If Richie Power and Paudie Mahoney were not injured it would make life a little more difficult.

SOK was the 1st choice WIT keeper at Fitzgibbon ahead of Murphy albeit Murphy was able to be accommodated out the field where he is good on the frees. Being a bit generous to us otherwise to be fair. Colin Fennelly would surely have to be in there, Walter Walsh aswell. Although going on current form most lads on our tam would challenge for a place on the KK team.

I understand that but its only a bit of craic. Murphy was an outfield player on that team and never in competition with SOK. I have full confidence in SOK but very impressed with Murphy on the big day in Croker. SOK well able but last 2 Munster Finals made mistakes. Not too bothered with Colin Fennelly and WW. It is interesting that the debate is open. Again only a bit of craic Hogan and Reid are unreal

Ha ha you may get some shtick from some Kilkenny posters on that team but tbf Shane Fives/Holden and Darragh Fives/Walsh and i suppose brick/colin fennelly are the only ones that they could debate imo. If Richie Power and Paudie Mahoney were not injured it would make life a little more difficult.

Big fan of the Fives lads. Richie Power is another of the unreal type

I understand that but its only a bit of craic. Murphy was an outfield player on that team and never in competition with SOK. I have full confidence in SOK but very impressed with Murphy on the big day in Croker. SOK well able but last 2 Munster Finals made mistakes. Not too bothered with Colin Fennelly and WW. It is interesting that the debate is open. Again only a bit of craic Hogan and Reid are unreal

A bit of craic but a dangerous bit of craic to be having depending on which side of the county your from.... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Nice bit of buzz about the town on this. Was thinking back to a couple of years ago and I’m just delighted that upthedeise.com no longer exists. That gob****e Cian Foley was an awful embarrassment. The songs, the pictures and his love affair with the players. It was cringe. Although this page can be bad at times it is nowhere near that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement