Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Is Stephen okeeffe injured? What's wrong with him?

anyone?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Waterford match - deferred coverage on TG4 - for those who can't make it to Walsh Park (Clare / Dublin is the live game).
    Glad to hear that but now I don't know whether to listen live on WLR (1am throw in time here in Sydney) or watch deferred coverage (around 2.45am time here)! rolleyes.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Deskjockey wrote: »
    anyone?? :confused:

He had a injury at start of year but it could be cleared up by now. Think it was an arm injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

He had a injury at start of year but it could be cleared up by now. Think it was an arm injury.

He picked up on a cut while on holidays in Thailand in January. He left it a few days and it got infected. I think he was expected to be back by this stage of the league though.
    Our under 21 footballers will play the winners of tomorrow's nights Qf between Clare and Kerry in the Munster semi final between on weds 15th March in Fraher Field

Any word if our lads are any good ??

It is Tom Flynn , Andy Hubbard and a few more ex county footballers over them as far as I know. 3 years ago, they had a strong side and beat Clare before losing to Cork and missing a penalty. On that side were Conor Gleeson, Dara Lyons, Conor Prunty who I could see being unavailable if Derek McGrath has his say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

debok wrote: »

He'll have a fight on his hands to get the number 1 spot back. O Reegan has been in great form to be fair to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

redlead wrote: »
    He'll have a fight on his hands to get the number 1 spot back. O Reegan has been in great form to be fair to him.

I agree that Iggy has played alright but I still think when SOK is back fit, he would be my first choice all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I think SOK played in the challenge match in Wexford recently so the arm injury seems to be cleared up. Iggy playing well and seems to be holding the jersey for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I think SOK played in the challenge match in Wexford recently so the arm injury seems to be cleared up. Iggy playing well and seems to be holding the jersey for the moment.

Think McGrath mentioned rotation policy for keepers for league that's been used over last few years on WLR last Friday. Sounded like was the same currently but Iggy giving himself every chance. I'd imagine if he's fit SOK will play this weekend to be given his chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Need a win Sunday too take the pressure off us going too Ennis

We win and both Tipp and Dublin win will mean we're guaranteed 2nd place. If expected ourselves and Clare win dis weekend than the match in 2 weeks will be a 2nd/3rd place playoff. A loss vs Cork will cause is problems

Hard to know what team will line out Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Need a win Sunday too take the pressure off us going too Ennis

We win and both Tipp and Dublin win will mean we're guaranteed 2nd place. If expected ourselves and Clare win dis weekend than the match in 2 weeks will be a 2nd/3rd place playoff. A loss vs Cork will cause is problems

Hard to know what team will line out Sunday

Anything close to yer performances to date will be more that enough, Cork are simply not up to it when the opposition show any sort of physicality, it was very noticeable against KK that when KK upped the intensity at the start of the second half Cork just downed tools and didn't want to know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

danganabu wrote: »
    Anything close to yer performances to date will be more that enough, Cork are simply not up to it when the opposition show any sort of physicality, it was very noticeable against KK that when KK upped the intensity at the start of the second half Cork just downed tools and didn't want to know about it.

Cork are struggling big time and as you said when KK upped the physicality they were found wanting. Depends on the team selection but I would expect a comfortable victory still.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
    6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    7. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    9. Colin Dunford (Colligan)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)
    12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    14. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    15. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Good team. Presume dunford midfield and Moran wing back. Dara Lyons climbing the ladder rapidly. I like the cut of his jib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

KevIRL wrote: »
    1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
    6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    7. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    9. Colin Dunford (Colligan)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)
    12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    14. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    15. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    Good team, has a championship look about it. Best of luck to Darragh Lyons. Big day for him and his family. Great to see Maurice back in. He needs game time to get him up to championship speed, and we need Maurice to get back to 2015 form as we are not as strong in the forwards as many believe. Dunford always brings energy. Still think Shane Bennett needs a rest. Hes been trying too hard. Lets see how this goes anyway. Deise Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Good team, has a championship look about it. Best of luck to Darragh Lyons. Big day for him and his family. Great to see Maurice back in. He needs game time to get him up to championship speed, and we need Maurice to get back to 2015 form as we are not as strong in the forwards as many believe. Dunford always brings energy. Still think Shane Bennett needs a rest. Hes been trying too hard. Lets see how this goes anyway. Deise Abu.

Delighted to see Maurice in, in my view one of our most under rated players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He had a poor year in fairness last year after his exploits in 2015, he just needs to get the head right and then he'll start to show his true form. That Cork team have a few nice players but hopefully Waterford can show that aggression and bite they had v KK and 2nd half v Dublin.
    Time for Dunford to stand up and show what he's worth, has all the skill in the world and pace to burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He had a poor year in fairness last year after his exploits in 2015, he just needs to get the head right and then he'll start to show his true form. That Cork team have a few nice players but hopefully Waterford can show that aggression and bite they had v KK and 2nd half v Dublin.
    Time for Dunford to stand up and show what he's worth, has all the skill in the world and pace to burn
    Time for the forwards to really step up. Out of the 6 forwards you will get scores from Paudie, Maurice and Stephen Bennett will get you goals. But Shane Bennett, Brick and Moran will probably score a couple points between them. We need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

I think Dunford's shooting is the only thing that has let him down over the last year or two. Got some great points in the Fitzgibbon so hopefully he can have a big year. I heard that shane Roche has dropped himself off the panel wile Kieran Bennett is still on the extended panel. Would have liked if Derek would have experimented with full back in case of injury. Maybe he will against clare as we will have a QF place assured by then. I've been to all of Corks league games this year (with the other half) and unless they dramatically improve then I can't see any problems.

Ennis would be a dangerous place to go with an experimental team, especially if they need the points

That full back line would be hard for any young player to break into. Shane Fives gets better every year and i have no idea why Noelie is getting so much criticism....he's not overweight, he rarely gets beaten to the ball...tipp had to take off their corner forward before half time cause he was constantly getting beaten by Noelie...he was unlucky against Dublin for the goal but I can't see any other reason why he's getting questioned here. Coughlan is the steadiest back we've had since Cullinane, although he has TDB playing close to him, he's the best option we have at the minute. Every other county bar Tipp and Galway are having problems with their #3 so I wouldn't worry too much I think we have a decent full back line.
    Robopaddy is right though, we need more scores from the forwards...Leave Aussie up there at #10 and watch him work his magic :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We are now playing Limerick in the club deise fundraiser In fraher field on the 19th March, we were previously down too play Galway

Galway in the league Qf it is so (us finishing 3rd and them 2nd in 1B)

Deise189 wrote: »
    I think Dunford's shooting is the only thing that has let him down over the last year or two. Got some great points in the Fitzgibbon so hopefully he can have a big year. I heard that shane Roche has dropped himself off the panel wile Kieran Bennett is still on the extended panel. Would have liked if Derek would have experimented with full back in case of injury. Maybe he will against clare as we will have a QF place assured by then. I've been to all of Corks league games this year (with the other half) and unless they dramatically improve then I can't see any problems.
    Shane Roche must have finally seen the light which is no bad reflection on him as a hurler but as he has seen fellas getting in ahead of him constantly then it's time to realise he's surplus to requirements. Thomas Ryan must surely see the same thing. Huge commitment asked of these fellas for nearly 10 months of the year and to see no game time? The only ones to suffer are their clubs as they don't even get to play with them under the strict regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

That full back line would be hard for any young player to break into. Shane Fives gets better every year and i have no idea why Noelie is getting so much criticism....he's not overweight, he rarely gets beaten to the ball...tipp had to take off their corner forward before half time cause he was constantly getting beaten by Noelie...he was unlucky against Dublin for the goal but I can't see any other reason why he's getting questioned here. Coughlan is the steadiest back we've had since Cullinane, although he has TDB playing close to him, he's the best option we have at the minute. Every other county bar Tipp and Galway are having problems with their #3 so I wouldn't worry too much I think we have a decent full back line.
    Robopaddy is right though, we need more scores from the forwards...Leave Aussie up there at #10 and watch him work his magic :P

Lawlor was better than Coughlan. Everyone thought Richie McCarthy was a great full back until Callinan finally put it all together having threatened to do so for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I Disagree re Lawlor , i think he is probably a better hurler than coughlan, but not a better full back, lawlor was lacking pace , but a good reader and organiser, i watched him all the time when the play was not around him and he'd be shouting at everyone to tuck in , and everyone would and the full back spot would be covered by a deep lying 6 or one of the corner backs would be almost beside him, no problem with that , fair play with what he achieved, but brick used to shore up so much in front of him when playing centre back, his starting position was exactly where de bruca is now, Coughlan lacks a bit of the arrogance that Lawlor had, and does not seem to be talking to anyone , hurls within himself, and his striking sometimes can be iffy, but he's currently in the top 3 full backs in the country, he might never be outstanding like Brian Lohan was , but when is he ever poor?.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

I Disagree re Lawlor , i think he is probably a better hurler than coughlan, but not a better full back, lawlor was lacking pace , but a good reader and organiser, i watched him all the time when the play was not around him and he'd be shouting at everyone to tuck in , and everyone would and the full back spot would be covered by a deep lying 6 or one of the corner backs would be almost beside him, no problem with that , fair play with what he achieved, but brick used to shore up so much in front of him when playing centre back, his starting position was exactly where de bruca is now, Coughlan lacks a bit of the arrogance that Lawlor had, and does not seem to be talking to anyone , hurls within himself, and his striking sometimes can be iffy, but he's currently in the top 3 full backs in the country, he might never be outstanding like Brian Lohan was , but when is he ever poor?.

I completely agree with this. Not necessarily sure if he's third best in country. But he is a solid full back and gets an incredible amount of criticism that he doesn't deserve. People often cite that goal that Colin Fennelly got against us in semi last year, but if you look at clip, Barry clearly slipped and you can't really legislate for those type of errors - no player is perfect. He has done very well recently and has held his own in league this year. We've only conceded two goals in three games. And none of those were Barry's fault.
    Let's face it lads - our main problem is a lack of forwards. There is no comparison between our front six as a unit and their ability to score -at the moment - compared to Tipp's - and until we can get close or match their scoring ability, we'll never beat them in the championship.

Lawlor was cleaned out by Conor Mcdonald down in Wexford. I think Coughlan has come up against him twice and has had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Lawlor was cleaned out by Conor Mcdonald down in Wexford. I think Coughlan has come up against him twice and has had no problems.

Moran was center back that day and was dragged out of position, have a look at David Redmonds goal from that day and tell me where our center back was? Compare and contrast the difference in the other 14 players between both sides in 2014 compared to last year.

That was one game in 5 years, what other days was he cleaned out? Fennelly got 2-2 off Coughlan in the first game that Waterford really tried going 15 v 15 and when Tadhg Bourke was struggling with Michael Fennelly and couldn't assist to the normal degree. Anyone is entitled to have one bad game and there were several poor performances in the first half last week, but Ryan O'Dwyer is not a top class inter county full forward and he was beating him hands down in that period. I'm not saying he's a bad hurler or bad full back, but I don't think he's going to be good enough against Callanan in an all-ireland final and that is your benchmark not Wexford in a league match.

I would put Shane Fives in there. He was good the last time he was tried just needs to judge when to go and when to stay a bit more, can't commit everytime. It's too simplistic to look at the goals a team concedes and just blame a full back or a goalkeeper.

On another note, 3 positive changes to the team for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tipp and KK showing everyone the standard tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tipp and KK showing everyone the standard tonight

Best league game I've seen in a long time

• Advertisement

No bulls**t sweepers or bastardised hurling tonight in Thurles only pure godforsaken wholehearted skill and ability. As Brian Hogan said in studio go win your own ball and your own position. The players are given the responsibility of making the changes themselves if they see fit,not strangled in systems and certain styles for certain amounts of minutes. My faith in the beautiful game is restored watching this tremendous game tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement