Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Does anyone know where I'd find highlights of the game? Nothing on YouTube yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Great return from the Waterford contingent playing with UCC in the Cork Championship last night. Dj Foran scored 3 goals along with Tom Devine scoring 4 points(was impressive when introduced on Sunday)and Paddy Curran scored 4 aswell. Jamie Barron and Tadgh de Burca came on for them after 40 mins while Shane Roche and Barry O Sullivan started at fullback and centre forward respectively. CIT must surely be wondering how they lost a 7 point lead at half-time but credit to Foran for staging a marvellous comeback. Mickey Kearney i believe was concussed towards the end of the game so here's to a speedy recovery to him. Padraig Prendergast also started at wingback for UCC who eventually won by the merest of margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

archieknox wrote: »
    Great return from the Waterford contingent playing with UCC in the Cork Championship last night. Dj Foran scored 3 goals along with Tom Devine scoring 4 points(was impressive when introduced on Sunday)and Paddy Curran scored 4 aswell. Jamie Barron and Tadgh de Burca came on for them after 40 mins while Shane Roche and Barry O Sullivan started at fullback and centre forward respectively. CIT must surely be wondering how they lost a 7 point lead at half-time but credit to Foran for staging a marvellous comeback. Mickey Kearney i believe was concussed towards the end of the game so here's to a speedy recovery to him. Padraig Prendergast also started at wingback for UCC who eventually won by the merest of margins.

UCW

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cake Man wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd find highlights of the game? Nothing on YouTube yet.

League Sunday on the RTE Player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

If you could only pick one game to beat the Rebels in. Would it be League Final or Munster Semi?

I would say league final. Such a young team need to win a trophey so that they have a winning mentality for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

archieknox wrote: »

Do you have the teams Archie?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

I believe DJ Foran has been playing really well in both club games and with the Under 21s. Personally I think he is a serious talent with tremendous ball winning skills who just needs more confidence to believe in himself and if he gets this he could play a really big part for Waterford in the years to come.

Paddy Curran without doubt has the potential to deliver at any level but personally would like to see him get a year or two before hitting the senior inter county scene. This lad has taken some punishment over the last three years, and he needs time to develop as with his skill and bravery, the punishment is only going to get worse.

We need to be patient, we have a nice balance in our squad at the moment, and have introduced more than enough young lads. Over the next three years i would expect the likes of Paddy and Cormac Curran, DJ Foran Conor Gleeson, Michael Harney and Mark O'Brien to start to apply real pressure for inclusion in the senior team. (apologies for the many i have not named) These will hopefully be followed by the likes of Darragh Lyons, Conor Prunty and Billy Nolan and others so hopefully we will develop in to really strong contenders over the next three to five years.

This brings me back to Sunday week and I believe in the cliche "take each game as it comes" - a win on Sunday week would be a fantastic boost to belief and moral for the team especially given from where we have come from. It might even earn them some respect from the media, mind you if we do beat Cork, it will probably be because they were flat and we were defensive!!! To date in the league Waterford have scored 10 - 152, an average of 26 points per game, not bad for a side who play like Donegal Footballers. The have conceded an average of 16 points, that's a 10 point margin per game on average. They are the only unbeaten team in the league. Yes we had relatively handy games at home to Antrim and Laois, but we have played away to Limerick, Offaly and Wexford, we have beaten Galway at home despite and now Tipp on neutral venue.

I keep listening to how the opposition have injuries and are waiting on the return of some of their big names, but int e meantime our youngsters are developing and learning all the time. They can only beat what is put in front of them and just maybe the opposition always tend to be flat because of the pressure they are being put under.

I am not getting carried away but at the end of the day, one has to be delighted with where we are. There are undoubtedly massive challanges ahead and my belief is that last year we way under achieved, this year we might just be over achieving and the truth is somewhere in the middle. We have a side who have massive potential and are learning and developing. if was continue to develop and continue with the level of defensive effort coupled with a bit more belief when attacking, I believe the future is bright., very bright

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

KevIRL wrote: »
    Fair enough. Might be worth considering how frustrating the constant negativity and pessimism is for others on here before you post though. Will leave it at that and wish you all the best with any health issues.
    not so sure i would be bothered about how anyone's or my constant negativity and pessimism should have an effect on others ,,post what you like be it right or wrong in the end its an opinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Am I so wrong to be happy to be carried away? I think I'd have to go back to 2007 to find the last time I was actively relishing the next game rather than waiting for it with a mixture of hope and dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Orizio wrote: »

Match report and teams in the Examiner at:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/rob-oshea-snatches-victory-for-ucc-325163.html

Archie left out Mark O'Brien, who started for UCC at right half back. Nine Waterford players in all played for UCC.

In addition to Mikey Kearney, who scored a cracking early goal, David Collins of Abbeyside also started for CIT, at midfield (and scored a point).

The report reckoned that Kearney suffered concussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Intresting thought if Justin mcarthy was still in charge were would we be now ??. Its hard to know where Davy or Micheal Ryan would of taking us if they stayed on any further. McGrath is a similar manager to Davy.

Orizio wrote: »

Sorry Orizio just finished work but i see giveitfong did the honours for you with the link to the match report ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Conor O Sullivan after leaving the Cork panel. Thought he was a great defender and Cork aren`t exactly spoiled for choice in that area. Maybe he still has a niggling injury after last year cos every Cork person I know would rate him better than Cahalane (would have o sullivan 4 and McDonnell back to 3) and can`t see why he isnt starting. Hopefully we can exploit this and I see a real chance for goals with Cahalane fullback. Our fast breaks will take him to town IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Johnny Ryan from Tipp is the Referee for our
    Lge Final v Cork.
    Div 1 Camogie final is on at 1.30 , before our
    game at 3.30.
    Tickets priced at €25 on the day, but can be bought at Central / Super Value for €20.
    Tickets are on sale now, with general admission
    on the day itself, like Nowlan Park, sit where you
    like on the day.

skaface wrote: »
    Johnny Ryan from Tipp is the Referee for our
    Lge Final v Cork.
    Div 1 Camogie final is on at 1.30 , before our
    game at 3.30.
    Tickets priced at €25 on the day, but can be bought at Central / Super Value for €20.
    Tickets are on sale now, with general admission
    on the day itself, like Nowlan Park, sit where you
    like on the day.

Have to admit the GAA hierarchy have come in for alot of stick regarding ticket prices over the years but as last Sunday proved,and again for the final,it represents great value for a fabulous day's entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Intresting thought if Justin mcarthy was still in charge were would we be now ??. Its hard to know where Davy or Micheal Ryan would of taking us if they stayed on any further. McGrath is a similar manager to Davy.

I will say one thing for all the slating McGrath got....one thing was never complained on was how he got on with his players....in this way himself and Davy are worlds apart....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Do all season ticket holder get free access to the hurling final ??. Bit worried I won't make the match due to work ( the match is more important lol ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I will say one thing for all the slating McGrath got....one thing was never complained on was how he got on with his players....in this way himself and Davy are worlds apart....

I don’t know about that either now Tom. Remember last year there were a lot of noises coming out of the camp about discontent. Now that weve started winning games everything appears rosey again. Whether this is due to the fact that some of the older lads have been moved on, or just for the simple fact that winning games instills belief in the manager. You mention Davy but I don’t remember anything said about an unhappy camp after they won the AI in 2013. It was all praise for Davy and the respect the players had for him. they haven’t hit those heights since and its been nothing but talk of discontent in the Clare camp. There are thin margins. Im sure not everyone in the camp is buying into it. But everyone is happy to go along with a winning formula.
    Don’t know McGrath personally, but he certainly wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I find it hard to listen to his interviews. Likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much for me. He often tries to use big words and make things sound more complicated than they need to be. Talks a lot of waffle basically. But as long as were winning Im behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do all season ticket holder get free access to the hurling final ??. Bit worried I won't make the match due to work ( the match is more important lol ).

Yep free for all season ticket holders every year

I don’t know about that either now Tom. Remember last year there were a lot of noises coming out of the camp about discontent. Now that weve started winning games everything appears rosey again. Whether this is due to the fact that some of the older lads have been moved on, or just for the simple fact that winning games instills belief in the manager. You mention Davy but I don’t remember anything said about an unhappy camp after they won the AI in 2013. It was all praise for Davy and the respect the players had for him. they haven’t hit those heights since and its been nothing but talk of discontent in the Clare camp. There are thin margins. Im sure not everyone in the camp is buying into it. But everyone is happy to go along with a winning formula.
    Don’t know McGrath personally, but he certainly wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I find it hard to listen to his interviews. Likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much for me. He often tries to use big words and make things sound more complicated than they need to be. Talks a lot of waffle basically. But as long as were winning Im behind it

As in any squad of players i can imagine there are fellas that are down the pecking order that aren't too happy with the amount of game time they receive. Yes he used a share of different types of players throughout the league but you bet your bottom dollar that come championship time some of these will not be in his plans but they're only there to make up the panel for in house matches. But that is the same in all county squads and certain players are happy to go with that and more aren't. It is a no win situation for any management team to try to keep them all happy especially if things aren't going well but as you said with us at the moment it must be alot easier seeing as we're winning. Just as a matter of interest who gets the chop later on in the year when Ryan Donnelly,Darragh Fives,Shane Bennett and Stephen Daniels come back in to the reckoning? Maybe Shane O Sullivan,Gavin O Brien,Padraig Prendergast,Dj Foran Donie Breathnach? He can only carry 24 players for championship anyway so he will have an abundance of riches when everyone is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I forgot about Donnelly. Is he injured or just didn't figure in the league / panel? A talented, robust player who has something to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

26 would be the match day panel Archie. What you have at the moment is a first choice group of 17 (15 + first 2 subs). After that he seems to give different lads a run for a couple of minutes just to keep them involved. The group containing 2013 minors Dj, Harney, MOB, Kearney, Curran who are between the 21 and senior panel and are really just getting an introduction this year.

You would expect D Fives and Shane Bennett to be high up the pecking order in the summer. Daniels and Donnelly could be if go well but still have a bit to prove to jump the queue.

In between, can any of the 'pack' emerge to get a place. Paudie Prender did last year and he would be a favourite of mine. McNulty and Breathnach are still learning their trade but they have plenty to offer. Iggy. That leaves SOS,GOB, MON,Barrett and Tommy Connors. There is another half dozen expected to compete in a year or 2. Competition is tough just to get on the bench at the moment that should keep the bandwagon rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Looking forward to the Cork game. I have no problems about playing them twice in a month. We played them 5 times in 2007 and that didn't work out too bad at all. We will be going all out to win the league, no question. It's not as if the Championship game is the following week. Let's try win this thing. We have won just 4 national senior titles ever, the Cats have 5 in the last 3 years.

If you look at the shared form of Cork and Waterford over the last weeks:

Cork beat Wexford by 4, Waterford beat them by 6

Cork beat Galway by 3, Waterford beat them by 8

Cork drew with Tipp, Waterford beat them

So really there is not that much difference with the Deise just edgeing the form guide. Not conclusive but enough to expect a tight game. It's not an exact science to compare players man for man from 1-15 any more given the various positional switches and formations. In all honesty, Waterford probably have the better 1-9 and maybe Cork 10-15. The bench could be important, it has been before. TTM early season, and early Sunday writing off of Waterford's chances may have been fair from Cork point of view at the time but all along I remain calmly optimistic about Waterford provided the players are well and fit. I think last year's replay is not relevant now just as the draw last year became irrelevant to Cork people after the second game.

The league has been a good launch pad for Waterford , the Deise have generally benefited from simple good form and (not to be underestimated in this county) confidence. Historically, a league title does not mean an All Ireland will follow but that incredibly has not been the case for all Munster teams for the last 50 years, except Tipp 2001 who won the League, Munster and All Ireland that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Deise189 wrote: »
    Conor O Sullivan after leaving the Cork panel. Thought he was a great defender and Cork aren`t exactly spoiled for choice in that area. Maybe he still has a niggling injury after last year cos every Cork person I know would rate him better than Cahalane (would have o sullivan 4 and McDonnell back to 3) and can`t see why he isnt starting. Hopefully we can exploit this and I see a real chance for goals with Cahalane fullback. Our fast breaks will take him to town IMO.
    Sullivan left over no injury he was wrongly down the pecking order around fifth choice and he'd club man will kearney a fine club man but not intercounty level imo was starting ahead of him

Mcdonnell and o Neill fair enough always ist choice to start
    Sullivan should be there as sub
    No one in cork wanted Mcdonnell full back it's disaster waiting happen as proven before
    Cahalane is struggling with injury but will not be bad as Mcdonnell at three and also worth remembering cahalane had two good games v Waterford last year
    If cahalane is fit shananan could still cause him problems however he done well v downes before under twenty one and bubbles at minor and callian last year league so Shanahan is imo not better those players
    Worry is cahalane not fit

However other problem Waterford have is they won't get breaks v Cork goal wise if they go two man inside as cork have sweeper then to clean up such ball
    Waterford have to go orthodox to expose cork full back line but I don't believe they will change now and such concedes only five goals in seven games mcgrath imo will say we're tight at back he won't change

If he does imo Waterford actually are far from rock solid at full back and I think that the system helped save Waterford conceding goals but as tipp proved ist twenty if turned serious lack pace in unit of full back play for Waterford and with cadogan horgan and Paudie or luke if cork had go orthodox there's goals in their for cork also

One other point Waterford should worry about is there not actually scoring much from play in against Galway, tipp and limerick no particular order average scores approx from play were eight, eleven and one eight so lot scores come from frees

Clare when played such sweeper two years ago and this year still scored freely
    Waterford defensive side is impressive but not scoring hugely so there's issues their too
    There seems be thought here that Waterford can beat cork well
    I don't agree in Waterford have imo lot concerns too where only concern I have with fully fit cork is full back but such issue in way best team face probably Waterford as maybe just a hunch I get but I can't see Waterford going all out attack to expose that cork problems
    Cork have been scoring freely points wise and certainly have the players to out score Waterford from distance
    The worry is will cork imo go all out win it
    Yes talk will be they will and cork did want win league start year however with imo Waterford in June I'd be surprised cork showed full hand
    Will Waterford show their full hand is another question
    League title if teams were not meeting again then imo both teams would be all out but both know June more important

3ships wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Cork game. I have no problems about playing them twice in a month. We played them 5 times in 2007 and that didn't work out too bad at all. We will be going all out to win the league, no question. It's not as if the Championship game is the following week. Let's try win this thing. We have won just 4 national senior titles ever, the Cats have 5 in the last 3 years.

If you look at the shared form of Cork and Waterford over the last weeks:

Cork beat Wexford by 4, Waterford beat them by 6

Cork beat Galway by 3, Waterford beat them by 8

Cork drew with Tipp, Waterford beat them

So really there is not that much difference with the Deise just edgeing the form guide. Not conclusive but enough to expect a tight game. It's not an exact science to compare players man for man from 1-15 any more given the various positional switches and formations. In all honesty, Waterford probably have the better 1-9 and maybe Cork 10-15. The bench could be important, it has been before. TTM early season, and early Sunday writing off of Waterford's chances may have been fair from Cork point of view at the time but all along I remain calmly optimistic about Waterford provided the players are well and fit. I think last year's replay is not relevant now just as the draw last year became irrelevant to Cork people after the second game.

The league has been a good launch pad for Waterford , the Deise have generally benefited from simple good form and (not to be underestimated in this county) confidence. Historically, a league title does not mean an All Ireland will follow but that incredibly has not been the case for all Munster teams for the last 50 years, except Tipp 2001 who won the League, Munster and All Ireland that year.
    Tipp beat cork
    Lot valid points there
    I don't think Waterford have better one to nine
    At worst cork are equal
    Individual wise on form o Neill and Mcdonnell two best corner backs in the game
    Yere full back is only okay and systems protects him
    Glesson terrific but imo better forward
    Cormac Murphy cork is terrific and had great year
    Mcloughlin and Ellis form a good line

Walsh imo been very good, played centre back Sunday he settled after ist half but at midfield as proven last year v Waterford is very good
    Kearney again illustrated Sunday one finest midfielder in the game
    Barron had a fine game but imo kearney has consistently been good something barron will probably do but hasn't yet imo
    I still don't get this talk Waterford actually have better individuals than cork
    Bench wise defence cork are weak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tipp beat cork
    Lot valid points there
    At worst cork are equal

Walsh imo been very good, played centre back Sunday he settled after ist half but at midfield as proven last year v Waterford is very good
    Barron had a fine game but imo kearney has consistently been good something barron will probably do but hasn't yet imo
    I still don't get this talk Waterford actually have better individuals than cork

Matches aren't won on paper. You could argue Tipp, Galway and Limerick had better individuals than us this year but we got results through a combination of teamwork and good tactical play.

Corks biggest weakness is on the sideline. While JBM is great to prepare a team he is a bit slow to make changes on the day which cost ye an All Ireland in my opinion

deisedude wrote: »
    Matches aren't won on paper. You could argue Tipp, Galway and Limerick had better individuals than us this year but we got results
    Totally agree and systems win games now
    My point is only to dilute this talk Waterford have better hurlers than cork which is just nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Tipp beat cork
    Lot valid points there
    At worst cork are equal

O Neill is far from one of the best corner backs in the game now ttm, 3 or 4 years ago that would have been true but not anymore, I would have Noel Conners ahead of both him and McDonnell along with Cahill and Barrett of Tipp, Murphy & Tyrill from KK & Hickey from Limerick imo.

I'd also disagree about Gleeson being a better corner forward, from what I have seen he is a natural half back and looks more comfortable there than in the forwards.

Where Cork have an advantage over Waterford is in the forward line. Harnedy is excellent, he is Corks most important forward now. Horgan and Lehane have serious quality but can be very inconsistent. Paudie O sullivan & Luke O Farrell are both dangerous around the square & Rob O Shea looks a decent prospect.

dcrosskid wrote: »
    O Neill is far from one of the best corner backs in the game now ttm, 3 or 4 years ago that would have been true but not anymore, I would have Noel Conners ahead of both him and McDonnell along with Cahill and Barrett of Tipp, Murphy & Tyrill from KK & Hickey from Limerick imo.

I'd also disagree about Gleeson being a better corner forward, from what I have seen he is a natural half back and looks more comfortable there than in the forwards.

Where Cork have an advantage over Waterford is in the forward line. Harnedy is excellent, he is Corks most important forward now. Horgan and Lehane have serious quality but can be very inconsistent. Paudie O sullivan & Luke O Farrell are both dangerous around the square & Rob O Shea looks a decent prospect.
    O Neill confidence rocked and shattered from playing full back conceded five goals clare to tipp in championship
    If noel Connors or hickey were full back they do same
    Brian Murphy best corner back around in cork at time was even awful full back

People judge o Neill forget where needs be judged on

Form is poor but form temporary class is permanently good
    If left at corner he fine
    Certainly rate noel but Mcdonnell one corner not full been excellent consistently good for cork and was even brilliant all Ireland final half back v clare
    He outstanding last year

Harnedy is unreal like you said for leadership graft youth pace scoring and big game player wins puck outs and dirty ball when need greatest and is proven and as yet Waterford no one come close to him

As for lehane four points Sunday outstanding all Ireland final drawn game a brilliant munster final he's big game player

You are correct he was inconsistent but as said many times he was not to blame but cork management were in two years they played him full forward and half and now thank god at last penny dropped he's half forward only and he flying and actually with kearney and harnedy cork leading puck out winner Sunday
    Ellis superb half back
    Fair enough Murphy is unproven yet at senior bit he outstandingly league outstanding for ucc, Waterford should remember him last year being brilliant against them under twenty one before getting a red card and cork intermediate

Lorcan has been outstanding finally best half back position and again took cork an age to realise this as not a midfielder at elite level

Horgan is unbelievable when he has the focus in
    Cadogan is excellent
    Cooper is not everyone cup of tea but with harnedy imo crucially to cork in win hard dirty ball
    Kearney as I said brilliant and imo should been contention all start last year
    Nash well proven

Waterford team has talent no doubt but there unproven really in comparison to cotk in yes cork fell short to KK tipp etc but cork beaten all the other teams no problems in championship

Waterford certainly don't have a an advantage as big as people think I'm defence in cork have conceded six goal around in seven league games slightly more than Waterford but in stronger division but still we have huge full back issues and not playing as deep so my point is that with a deeper system cork certainly can be as tight as Waterford defensively and if cork shore up that line and it comes to forwards and midfield imo cork are definitely stronger
    Thurles suits any cork team so imo if this was the gaelic grounds I'd be worried but I'm not really worried about June in Thurles
    Waterford must be respected but imo cork can certainly beat Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Thinkstoomuch - you take stream of consciousness to a whole new level. Joyce would be proud of you.

From reading your posts, I think that you really overrate this Cork team. They are a good side with some very good players just like Waterford. Neither team are anything special at the moment but Waterford definitely have better potential to turn into title contenders in a couple of years time. Just look at who is starring for the UCC team.

The current teams are very even at the moment and I think that the results in the league final and championship will reflect that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement