Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Fair points, I'm not directly arguing against any one of them. I'm just saying as a consumer, R*'s attitude is crap and others have made money being mod-friendly to the consumer like Killing Floor which also works very well even with lots of mods installed and is made by a team with a budget that would be loose change to R*.

Anyway I hope the PC version runs great for everyone. It'd be nice enough driving around San Andreas with max draw distance, 60fps etc. VR might take that to another level of fun. But I'll still not be buying this until I know there's some kind of fun-allowed server, cool mods n' such. Let me know how it goes lads ^_^.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fair points, I'm not directly arguing against any one of them. I'm just saying as a consumer, R*'s attitude is crap and others have made money being mod-friendly to the consumer like Killing Floor which also works very well even with lots of mods installed and is made by a team with a budget that would be loose change to R*.
    I think the company has to make the decision from the beginning that it's going to be a moddable game. I just never really expect a console port to even consider modding their games. they're basically charging for skins on consoles which goes to shows their intention to monetize everything and everything they can.

I don't really hold it against them, especially when they don't have much experience in making moddable games and want to keep things stable. When you look at PC games that are modifiable, there are issues, issues that PC users are willing to accept.

I'm sure we'll get mods though. It's only a matter of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

15,665 files available, with a total of 76,308,111 downloads

http://www.gta4-mods.com/

Fairly sure there will be mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

d/l'ing this through Social Club and it really is poor, sometimes lower then 100kb, sometimes it loses connection with the server! Top speed so far after 32gb is around 3mb on a 240mb connection

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

omerin wrote: »
    d/l'ing this through Social Club and it really is poor, sometimes lower then 100kb, sometimes it loses connection with the server! Top speed so far after 32gb is around 3mb on a 240mb connection

I know how you feel as well but I am on a slow connection anyway. I have 22GB so far and it keeps disconnecting on me as well. It disconnected on me the past two nights so I do not know how long it was disconnected for probably all night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm torn. I really do want to see mod support, it's what makes a good game become great. However, I also want a guaranteed fair competitive online experience and the introduction of the microtransaction supported in-game currency makes that an increasingly difficult issue to square away.

There are MMO's that get this right though, so it's not completely hopeless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Shiminay wrote: »
    I also want a guaranteed fair competitive online experience

It's not a competitive game and if you look at it that way you're gonna find a million and one holes in it. Not to mention, not having mod support does not in any way guarantee a fair online competitive experience, ever. I played the PS3 version when it first came out. Hackers everywhere... and last time I checked PS3 doesn't support modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I really dont think they have the right balance for the online portion of the game regarding cash earned for jobs. It definitely feels like they are pushing the micro transactions which was a real disappointment for me. You really would have to spend a lot of time with the game to get a good selection of the high end items/vehicles/apartments and the upgrades for them. The casual player would never get to this point without micro transactions from what ive seen which is a shame as to have all that gear and not to be able to play with it without putting in a lot of hours is sad.

Heists have definitely helped,the end payoffs being a decent amount of cash. Good to see the PC version will have them from the off. If you can get 4 friends together consistently it will help a lot with the money,doing it with randomers is just too much hard work and with the loading times can suck the fun out of the game.

Being in a crew and doing jobs with friends boosts xp and cash earned,definitely worth doing as well.

I reckon i may just bite the bullet and get this(was going to wait till it was cheaper),be handy having it preloaded. As much as the above elements disappointed me i do enjoy the game and is the best GTA since Vice City imo

I guess competitive is the wrong word for what I mean. I think there's still a bit of work to get the balance of how the world should work properly. But let's look at one of the most popular multi-title mods lately: Battle Royale. GTA Online would be perfect for that. I'd like to see the core online game left alone and mods be kept as a separate thing that would have them side by side rather than on top of and adding to the "standard" or "official" servers.

I haven't, to my knowledge, run into a hacked game, that's based on 360, PS3 and PS4 play. Not trying to suggest it isn't a problem (and a big one), but that I've not encountered it after all this time, suggests they've been working on cutting it out.

The match-making probably has a lot of room for improvement I'd say. I'd like to see a few more 2 or maybe even 3 man heists.

I just want my real cars and my custom radio station. I will be happy with that, not too bothered about being IronMan atm

ironmanmod610.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

Y'see I'd hate real cars. GTA has its own pedigree vehicles and you do have to earn them. I want an Entity, not a Koeniggseg (sp?) or an Adder, not a Veyron. It'd take me out of the experience to not see those cars on the streets. Give me a cops and robbers mod ala Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and have cop race cars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never modded a game, so I am not bothered about modding being aloud or not.

I'm not that long PC gaming though, so never really had the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Did anyone ever play that zombie mod for San Andreas? Was great fun back in the day!!

I never modded a game, so I am not bothered about modding being aloud or not.

I'm not that long PC gaming though, so never really had the opportunity.

One word: Bethesda. :D

Next Steam sale, do yourself a wonderful favour and spend €10 on the Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas super duper "includes all the DLC and patches and all the rest" editions of the games. You will get them for a fiver each and with mods, you just 300 hours of open world games.

You'll either bless me or curse me for this knowledge... :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm cursing Skyrim myself right now. Finally got it working a few weeks ago with a **** ton of mods, and it completely changes the game. Have 2 characters on the go, and i think i might finally get through the main campaigns.

As for GTA, i might just download the previous GTA soundtracks (ads included) and put it on shuffle in Spotify. I don't remember the music being great this time around, though they have added new tracks from what i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mods add longevity to a game. There is enough in GTA V to keep you playing for about a year on and off I reckon. If they were smart, they'd release modding support a year or two down the line and drum up a load more interest and money. I'd be very happy with that.
    Especially when you consider it was 6 years between GTA IV and GTA V.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Did anyone ever play that zombie mod for San Andreas? Was great fun back in the day!!

The DayZ mod for San Andreas? It's still going with regular servers and players. Just download Multi Theft Auto and search for the servers you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shiminay wrote: »
    Y'see I'd hate real cars. GTA has its own pedigree vehicles and you do have to earn them. I want an Entity, not a Koeniggseg (sp?) or an Adder, not a Veyron. It'd take me out of the experience to not see those cars on the streets. Give me a cops and robbers mod ala Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and have cop race cars. :D

The main reason for me to mod the GTA vehicles was more due to how much better looking the modded version of the car/plane/boat was over the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

Will probally wait a few week for it to drop in price a bit. As long as it ported better than GTAIV ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My favourite ever GTA mod was in Vice City, and was just for fun:

http://www.castlerain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Batmobile-Vice-City.jpg

It was fast, and had tank-like strength, so you'd be tearing down the streets with any cars that hit you exploding... :D

I had the DeLorean too, but it didn't handle well at all once it left ground, but made for some hilarious deaths!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If anyone wants to get it from someone more legit than some key seller sites, you can get it for €46.80 on Green Man Gaming using the code save22-overho-lidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Slight worry online about the decryption process for the steam pre-load. We all know that it will take a long time to decrypt but there are suggestions that it will decrypt the game (currently stored in steam depotcache folder) into your installation folder and then delete the pre-load. This would mean that you need 120GB of disk space to decrypt the game which has happened before with other games like AC Unity and one of the final fantasy games. I'm sure it won't happen but there is no official comment on it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So will this release at midnight or goog to be one of those, not until the US time thinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Slight worry online about the decryption process for the steam pre-load. We all know that it will take a long time to decrypt but there are suggestions that it will decrypt the game (currently stored in steam depotcache folder) into your installation folder and then delete the pre-load. This would mean that you need 120GB of disk space to decrypt the game which has happened before with other games like AC Unity and one of the final fantasy games. I'm sure it won't happen but there is no official comment on it yet

Check this out, it should allay your fears: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/324thb/update_on_the_steam_decryption_space_requirement/

I have decided not to buy it as I realised I bought all the others on PC after owning them on console and never really played them. MP was fun on PS3 but was evetnaually not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Meesared wrote: »

I'm still going to backup my preload from the \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\depotcache folder just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Looking forward to seeing the VR hack for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Any idea if argos are stocking this ? I know gamestop have it at 55 but it wouldnt be a shocker to find them out of stock..

• Advertisement

I don't ever recall Argos stocking PC games.

Advertisement