Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short People Problems

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm an average height and weight (5'6" size 10-12) and have both relatively short legs and a dislike of heels, so I end up in short or petite length jeans when I get bootcut or flared shapes. If I at this height need a short leg, what hope is there for the truly small? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

If I complain about it once, I'll complain about it a thousand times but why are women's jeans not done like men's jeans, by leg size?? Why?? In my opinion a lot of the obsession with weight and being a certain size is encouraged by this. You either fit into an 8,10 or 12 etc. without any consideration to waist size or leg size except for short (which they never have and which is so varied in itself), normal or long! And have the time and I' sure other women have experinced this that it might fit you on the leg but not on the waist and you end up with this big gap on the waist!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If I complain about it once, I'll complain about it a thousand times but why are women's jeans not done like men's jeans, by leg size?? Why?? In my opinion a lot of the obsession with weight and being a certain size is encouraged by this. You either fit into an 8,10 or 12 etc. without any consideration to waist size or leg size except for short (which they never have and which is so varied in itself), normal or long! And have the time and I' sure other women have experinced this that it might fit you on the leg but not on the waist and you end up with this big gap on the waist!!:mad:

Well I for one have learned something new today!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

With regards to leg length - I'm 5'1, with 26 1/2 inch legs. I wear 'regular' length jeans. That said, I can ONLY wear skinny jeans. Anything other than skinny or super skinny, the short leg is still a few inches too long :pac:

Waist size - good god, yes! ANY pair of jeans I find (even skinny jeans, which should be tight all over), the waist is a good 3-4 inches too big, but fits my ass, thighs and legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

With regards to leg length - I'm 5'1, with 26 1/2 inch legs. I wear 'regular' length jeans. That said, I can ONLY wear skinny jeans. Anything other than skinny or super skinny, the short leg is still a few inches too long :pac:
    That really weird, I have to especially get petite (I'm 5ft) and that itself is still up to 5'3 but Debenhams petite range actually fit me quite well. Though I'm mostly referring to my experience in Penneys since that's where I would've bought jeans. Skinny only worked for me because they'd just bunch up at the end, which didn't look great, but I wasn't falling over them. It's such a pain to get them turned up too! I've always been jealous of tall girls wearing maxi dresses too!:( Dresses oddly enough in Penneys I've never really had an issue with, they seemed to fit me grand (or maybe I just didn't realise they were supposed to be a lot shorter!:p)
    I'm not sure what causes the significant gap at the waist? Any ideas because it drives me cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think a lot of companies don't tend to bring their waists in enough on jeans if the rise is higher than low rise, it's a slightly more difficult tailoring job to get exactly right and on cheap jeans it just won't happen. Fine if you're apple shaped, crap otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Jaysus never had a problem with getting trousers, they must make trousers long. I'm 5'9, size 12. I ordered a pair online once that were too short but that's about it. I find Penneys have terrible fitting clothes and wouldn't shop in there. Most daycent shops have short/mid and long length trousers. I can't buy trousers online but when I go shopping for them, I usually have no problem. I'm all leg, seriously leggy. I can't wear a skirt without looking like a total tramp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jaysus never had a problem with getting trousers, they must make trousers long. I'm 5'9, size 12. I ordered a pair online once that were too short but that's about it. I find Penneys have terrible fitting clothes and wouldn't shop in there. Most daycent shops have short/mid and long length trousers. I can't buy trousers online but when I go shopping for them, I usually have no problem. I'm all leg, seriously leggy. I can't wear a skirt without looking like a total tramp.

Are you not a fat bloke?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This has always been a short person problem of mine: http://i.imgur.com/HK9y6x9.jpg

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you not a fat bloke?

I am, I just like wearing womens clothes. Problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not at all are you sure about the size twelve though,?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Skirts are women clothing now? I've been doing it wrong my entire life.

Zascar wrote: »
    This has always been a short person problem of mine: http://i.imgur.com/HK9y6x9.jpg

I mentioned this in the OP, just so we could have one thread without negative gender stuff flung around.

Just the once, as a treat.

You get slapped with the mop now. :)

Candie wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the OP, just so we could have one thread without negative gender stuff flung around.

Just the once, as a treat.

You get slapped with the mop now. :)

I think we should have a tall people thread
    it's not easy being slaves to the shorties

Are you not a fat bloke?
    Not at all are you sure about the size twelve though,?
    Skirts are women clothing now? I've been doing it wrong my entire life.

http://cdn3.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/awkward-gif.gif

I think we should have a tall people thread
    it's not easy being slaves to the shorties

Go 'way outta that, Stretch. :)

You should come clothes shopping with me, that'd show you who's in thrall to whom. :)

Go 'way outta that, Stretch. :)

You should come clothes shopping with me, that'd show you who's in thrall to whom. :)

The ohs daughter is a midget so I'm used to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Instead of asking the tall Russian and being in his debt could you not reach out to your fellow shorties for support? Two or three of you stacked on each others shoulders should allow you to clean the vent. You could each return the favour, a sisterhood of short arses helping each other out without resorting to pleading help from lanky langers.

Could you also please update this thread when you eventually clean the vent. It has been so thoroughly described I am starting to feel bothered by this manky vent myself.

Maguined wrote: »
    Instead of asking the tall Russian and being in his debt could you not reach out to your fellow shorties for support? Two or three of you stacked on each others shoulders should allow you to clean the vent. You could each return the favour, a sisterhood of short arses helping each other out without resorting to pleading help from lanky langers.

Could you also please update this thread when you eventually clean the vent. It has been so thoroughly described I am starting to feel bothered by this manky vent myself.

Well, concern yourself no further. The building super heard of my problem and arrived up with a ladder and spray bleach and took the thing apart and it was cleaned inside and out. When we got all the caked dust out, it looked like the corpse of a small animal. I hadn't seen anything that disgusting since I moved in and snaked the shower drain. :(

Now, when I'm 'reading' I don't avoid glancing up and inducing a shudder of revulsion, instead I gaze happily at my portal to the outside world and it's fresh air, content in the knowledge that should I die in my sleep, I will not be judged badly by those who happen upon my bathroom vent. It brings me great happiness.

No Russians or stacked up shorties involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The missus has some ridiculously tall high heel shoes that she will only wear when she's out with her mates. If she wears them with me she spends most of her night looking at the top of my head.

Not ridiculously short, 5-8, but she's 6ft and the heels add about another 6!

Had a pair of Tom Cruise style lifts for the wedding...to even things out for the photos!

• Advertisement

The missus has some ridiculously tall high heel shoes that she will only wear when she's out with her mates. If she wears them with me she spends most of her night looking at the top of my head.

Not ridiculously short, 5-8, but she's 6ft and the heels add about another 6!

Had a pair of Tom Cruise style lifts for the wedding...to even things out for the photos!

I would have thought that 6'6'' is more of a problem than advantage. Does she not bang her head off door lintels or get mistaken for a lampost or asked about the weather in the stratosphere or that kind of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It can sometimes be a problem finding jeans with the right leg length, I'm a 34" waist and usually find the legs are too long, a 30" leg is the size I look for but it's usually hard to find.

But when a 5' woman marries a 5'7" man it seems I was doomed to be a shortarse from day 1

It can sometimes be a problem finding jeans with the right leg length, I'm a 34" waist and usually find the legs are too long, a 30" leg is the size I look for but it's usually hard to find.

But when a 5' woman marries a 5'7" man it seems I was doomed to be a shortarse from day 1

This was my perception too, but it's not the case apparently, as a few posters have outlined. I'm now open to offers from other short arses.

My parents are small averages, and 3 of the 4 kids turned out tall or tall average. I'm the extremely petite exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I would have thought that 6'6'' is more of a problem than advantage. Does she not bang her head off door lintels or get mistaken for a lampost or asked about the weather in the stratosphere or that kind of stuff?

I dunno, she's only ever 6 ft with me, as the 6 inch heels go on when I'm not around.

I dunno, she's only ever 6 ft with me, as the 6 inch heels go on when I'm not around.

I would look like a child beside your wife. :(

This is a big problem with tall men, when you hold their hand you look like their kid, trotting along beside them trying to keep up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This was my perception too, but it's not the case apparently, as a few posters have outlined. I'm now open to offers from other short arses.

My parents are small averages, and 3 of the 4 kids turned out tall or tall average. I'm the extremely petite exception.

I've tall cousins and am the same height as the old man was but the brother is about an inch smaller, although he won't admit it, height is a touchy subject with him.

Well, concern yourself no further. The building super heard of my problem and arrived up with a ladder and spray bleach and took the thing apart and it was cleaned inside and out. When we got all the caked dust out, it looked like the corpse of a small animal. I hadn't seen anything that disgusting since I moved in and snaked the shower drain. :(

Heard of your problem? That is very considerate super that keeps his ear to the ground though you have betrayed the sisterhood of shorties by resorting to help from the tall super. This really is a new low for you...

Maguined wrote: »
    Heard of your problem? That is very considerate super that keeps his ear to the ground though you have betrayed the sisterhood of shorties by resorting to help from the tall super. This really is a new low for you...

He may have heard of it because I told him. And I told him because in turn, I was told that it's his job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

That really weird, I have to especially get petite (I'm 5ft) and that itself is still up to 5'3 but Debenhams petite range actually fit me quite well. Though I'm mostly referring to my experience in Penneys since that's where I would've bought jeans. Skinny only worked for me because they'd just bunch up at the end, which didn't look great, but I wasn't falling over them. It's such a pain to get them turned up too! I've always been jealous of tall girls wearing maxi dresses too!:( Dresses oddly enough in Penneys I've never really had an issue with, they seemed to fit me grand (or maybe I just didn't realise they were supposed to be a lot shorter!:p)
    I'm not sure what causes the significant gap at the waist? Any ideas because it drives me cracked.

My skinny jeans bunch at the ankles too, so I tuck them into boots. Got a pair of super skinny high waisted jeans in Penneys the other day though, that fit like a dream, no bunching ankles, no baggy waist. And 2 sizes smaller than usual :pac:

The waist thing - I dunno. I think I just have a fat arse :pac:

• Advertisement

Couldn't resist the opportunity for a good pun even if it is the lowest form of humour.

Advertisement