Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short People Problems

Options

Comments

Yeah I'd say, for a lot of girls especially the really petite girls taller guys are an attraction (they are for me anyway 5'11 upwards) even if it does look strange!:pac: If I was thinking about children I'd have to be with a taller guy because I'd be worried about my children being complete midgets! Someone mentioned guys carrying/holding things for you and that's definitely true since they think your incapable of lifting anything (which is only half true :p). I find it really endearing though!:o

I've always had people offer to carry things, but I try avoid taking them up on the offer unless I'm on the verge of collapse! I get called sweetheart and pet a lot, and people seem to assume I'm nicer than I am :) Finding shoes that aren't for children is an issue for me, so I wear a lot of Converse, and while its cheap to buy some clothes in the kiddies department, I don't really want to be wearing Disney Princess jammies into my 30's. :)

On the downside, I'm easily physically intimidated. I was picked up more than once out of the blue, and on one occasion a guy picked me up as I was walking out of a pub and literally threw me at his friend. Over a table full of glasses. Hilarious.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm in no way short but my friend is 5 foot 6 and a considerable amount of women seem to find no problem saying "I won't date you because of your height". A more acceptable form of "I wouldn't date you cause you're fat" IMHO.

A slap of the mop for you, for ignoring the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Also, me being a girl guys think I'm cute rather than hot. You're rarely hot and small!

It's the same being a small guy. When younger I used to get the "You're cute" thing a lot which generally resulted in a pat on the head rather than a pat in the bed.
    If I was thinking about children I'd have to be with a taller guy because I'd be worried about my children being complete midgets!

Whatever your preferences there's something called regression to the mean which basically means that you wouldn't expect to have short kids with a short guy.
    I'm in no way short but my friend is 5 foot 6 and a considerable amount of women seem to find no problem saying "I won't date you because of your height". A more acceptable form of "I wouldn't date you cause you're fat" IMHO.

To be honest, as long as she's polite, I prefer when a woman is straight up about my height being a factor. The only question I have after that is if she's ever dated a short guy and if she has there's no further conversation to be had (in that regard anyway). It's nice and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

If they're as tame as the ones being made here about short people? Yes. Absolutely.

Tell me a comparable "tame" joke about overweight people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Going to be honest here. No one cares about your preferences. Short men dont like girls that are taller them.

It's a bit like coming on here and posting 'Going to be honest here, as a gay I'm definately put off by straight guys :confused:

Thanks for sharing love :rolleyes:

I like girls who are taller than me, I just don't ever get with them because theres a 98% chance they're already not interested lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's the same being a small guy. When younger I used to get the "You're cute" thing a lot which generally resulted in a pat on the head rather than a pat in the bed.
    Growing a beard tends to help for this one :pac:

Whatever your preferences there's something called regression to the mean which basically means that you wouldn't expect to have short kids with a short guy.

To be honest, as long as she's polite, I prefer when a woman is straight up about my height being a factor. The only question I have after that is if she's ever dated a short guy and if she has there's no further conversation to be had (in that regard anyway). It's nice and clean.
    Do you often get told your height is the the reason you get turned down? I'm starting to wonder how often we just assume that's the reason since it's such an obvious 'flaw'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    A slap of the mop for you, for ignoring the OP.

Sorry Candie I didn't see it. Well ignoring the fat women thing. It's a genuine problem for him to be called short when asking a girl out. How he balances it out in work with the girls who call him short is reminding them whenever they put on weight :p. Soon stopped the short comments.

Sorry Candie I didn't see it. Well ignoring the fat women thing. It's a genuine problem for him to be called short when asking a girl out. How he balances it out in work with the girls who call him short is reminding them whenever they put on weight :p. Soon stopped the short comments.

I never do that kind of thing. If someone is ungracious to me that's their business, but I don't see it as a free pass to be ungracious back. I'm not responsible for how rude other people are, but I'm definitely responsible for how rude I am.

Growing a beard tends to help for this one :pac:

Funny you should say that; I grew a beard a few years back and it is definitely the focus of physical compliments when I do happen to get them.

Do you often get told your height is the the reason you get turned down? I'm starting to wonder how often we just assume that's the reason since it's such an obvious 'flaw'.

Not often, no. But it's refreshing when it happens as long as it's polite like I say.
    I never do that kind of thing. If someone is ungracious to me that's their business, but I don't see it as a free pass to be ungracious back. I'm not responsible for how rude other people are, but I'm definitely responsible for how rude I am.

I don't know, I think it's fair to give people a taste of their own medicine now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Candie , I think I have a solution , stop going into your bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

todders wrote: »

You need to stop being short with people

I don't know, I think it's fair to give people a taste of their own medicine now and again.

It depends, I'm not a saint so if someone is really spiteful and out to hurt, I'll probably be less pleasant about it. If it's not intended to hurt I just let it go. Life is too short to be getting digs in for the sake of it, if people want to do it it's their issue. It takes a lot to rile me, I've lost my temper about twice in my life. Spectacularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Go up to the next fat person you see and poke their fatty cheek, make baby noises as you do it. "Hey there fatty, how are you today?" (make sure to say it in a patronising baby voice), "want some of this delicious cake, fatty?" then mash the cake violently into their face. "You like that fatty? You stupid cunt!". Begin to kick and punch them until they fall to the floor in agony. "Yeah, you like that fatty, don't yeah?".

He's suicidal over it sometimes TBH. It's not taken seriously as an issue.

Candie , I think I have a solution , stop going into your bathroom.

Then I'll just have another problem. B.O. and/or terminal constipation! :)

Silence from Jimbob, look at that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Then I'll just have another problem. B.O. and/or terminal constipation! :)

Meh ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As if there would be any point in actually answering you :rolleyes:

Life is too short...

Are you having a go, are ya?!? :mad:

/lunges at Candie

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

He's just being the bigger person here and backing off :P

• Advertisement

That's a tragedy for your friend. It's not like you can change your height by much (there is an agonising procedure that involves breaking your bones and painstakingly lengthening them).

And the pity is that I'm sure there is much, much, much, more to him than his size.

Are you having a go, are ya?!? :mad:

/lunges at Candie

That swipe went straight over my head!

As if there would be any point in actually answering you :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad because your weak argument collapsed on itself jimbob

How about telling us all that "tame" joke about overweight people now?

No? Didn't think so....

That's a tragedy for your friend. It's not like you can change your height by much (there is an agonising procedure that involves breaking your bones and painstakingly lengthening them).

And the pity is that I'm sure there is much, much, much, more to him than his size.

He's the best looking out of all of us and a genius too. Would also give you the shirt of his back. In his head all he is is a short man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I dated a guy who was one inch taller than me I think roughly. I am about 5'4. So i guess he was 5'5. He was terrified of being seen as 'the short guy'. Had terrible self esteem. But a lot of other issues surrounded that really. Whilst it was an issue for him it's more complicated than that.It was something that he was comfortable pinning his negative feelings on consciously and publicly when there were other darker issues in the back of his head and life experience that he felt he could not talk about.

But it got easier as he got older. He is married now with a two year old. He has a reasonable job etc. It's not on his mind so much.

I would never negate a person's self esteem further by demeaning their problems.

I would say 'you don't need to worry about this but I feel for you that you do'.

I dated a guy who was one inch taller than me I think roughly. I am about 5'4. So i guess he was 5'5. He was terrified of being seen as 'the short guy'. Had terrible self esteem. But a lot of other issues surrounded that really. Whilst it was an issue for him it's more complicated than that.It was something that he was comfortable pinning his negative feelings on consciously and publicly when there were other darker issues in the back of his head and life experience that he felt he could not talk about.

But it got easier as he got older. He is married now with a two year old. He has a reasonable job etc. It's not on his mind so much.

I would never negate a person's self esteem further by demeaning their problems.

I would say 'you don't need to worry about this but I feel for you that you do'.

That's a very clever thing to say Kitty. I think there could be other problems and the feeling of being short is "close to hand".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Candie is this you with your Russian friend?

He's the best looking out of all of us and a genius too. Would also give you the shirt of his back. In his head all he is is a short man.

He needs to see himself as a whole person, that's the only thing he can work on that'll improve his life. His biggest barrier to happiness is reducing himself to the sum of his height.

That's really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

But I understood height to roughly be the average of both of your parents, though sometimes it is influenced by heights of other family members like grandparents etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

But I understood height to roughly be the average of both of your parents, though sometimes it is influenced by heights of other family members like grandparents etc.?

Nahhh...My brother is 6 foot and my sisters are 5/5.1. So I don't think so.

Advertisement