Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short People Problems

Options

Comments

I can't climb into the attic to put the Xmas decorations away. So I have an all year round santas grotto on the landing, turn the fairy lights on and all to freak the neighbours out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Finding clothes that fit can be a real challenge. I'm not short short, I'm more on the big side of small which just makes things awkward, especially when it comes to finding a daycent pair of trousers. I have a physique like Johnny Bravo so I feel very uncomfortable in a suit. And before you say anything, no I don't skip leg day, I just can't seem to get my legs on par with my upper body. :( I've been told by the ladies that I have great pecs though, so it aint all bad.
    Do two leg days???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm 5'2 my boyfriend keeps putting the shopping on the top shelfs, especially things I need (like chocolate) and I know it's just because he knows I have to jump onto the counter to reach or grab a chair - he thinks it's hilarious ... I don't agree so much.

Also the sun visor doesn't stop the sun going into my eyes :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Being a shortarse should be a registered charity, with grants for stack heels, stilts and the like.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

todders wrote: »
    Some really hilarious people on here.

I wonder if "jokes" aimed at overweight people would be tolerated in the same way?

The jokes are harmless enough as far as I can see, if you're getting so bothered by something so simple I'd say the issue is more with yourself than the people making the jokes.

Having said that, I see your point with the overweight comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm 5'2 my boyfriend keeps putting the shopping on the top shelfs, especially things I need (like chocolate) and I know it's just because he knows I have to jump onto the counter to reach or grab a chair - he thinks it's hilarious ... I don't agree so much.

Also the sun visor doesn't stop the sun going into my eyes :-(
    I know I shouldn't but :pac:

Is not all relative enough as at 5ft10 I would be a normal/average enough height...except in my family (cousins etc).... I would look like a leprechaun :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Women won't date me.

AND IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH MY PERSONALITY, YA HEAR!!! :mad:

They will...do you think every short man is single?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I wonder if "jokes" aimed at overweight people would be tolerated in the same way?

Honestly I think they would be, within reason. Heard a lot of whale jokes and that sort on boards which got loads of 'thanks'
    Also as a short man I can say its not really offensive, well to me is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

bb1234567 wrote: »
    They will...do you think every short man is single?

Going to be honest here, at 5'9 I'm definitely put off by shorter guys. If I'm in a nightclub I will go for really tall guys but saying that my last 2 bf's, one was shorter and the other was the same height.

Edit: I get slagged on my height and build all the time. I'd be fairly broad and strong. The term 'butch lesbian' is bandied about regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Going to be honest here, at 5'9 I'm definitely put off by shorter guys. If I'm in a nightclub I will go for really tall guys but saying that my last 2 bf's, one was shorter and the other was the same height.

Edit: I get slagged on my height and build all the time. I'd be fairly broad and strong. The term 'butch lesbian' is bandied about regularly.

You should just ignore anyone who is that blatantly rude and obnoxious. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

The jokes are harmless enough as far as I can see, if you're getting so bothered by something so simple I'd say the issue is more with yourself than the people making the jokes.

Having said that, I see your point with the overweight comparison.

So if overweight people get offended by jokes about being overweight, the issue is them and not the people making the jokes?
    Interesting

You should just ignore anyone who is that blatantly rude and obnoxious. :eek:

They're only having a laugh. I am strong and I don't really find it offensive tbh.

I get enough compliments on how look so it's all gravy. And they're usually the truth. I have nice eyes and a fine ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dont worry, the jokes go over their heads anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Going to be honest here. No one cares about your preferences. Short men dont like girls that are taller them.

It's a bit like coming on here and posting 'Going to be honest here, as a gay I'm definately put off by straight guys :confused:

Thanks for sharing love :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Going to be honest here. No one cares about your preferences. Short men dont like girls that are taller them.

It's a bit like coming on here and posting 'Going to be honest here, as a gay I'm definately put off by straight guys :confused:

You're tiny, right?

Eh.....I said initially, going just on appearance. And then I went on to say, my previous bf's, one was SHORTER[/B] and the other, the same height. If someone is a nice person and there's chemistry, looks go out the window.

Also, I find short guys are attracted to me, more so than taller guys tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why so abrasive? :confused: You couldn't possibly speak for every short man and their preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not true. Generally speaking us shorties can't afford to be so discriminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Candie wrote: »
    I'm 41kg, I'm lucky I'm not sucked out the extractor fan.

My God you're 6 stone 6 pounds, how is that possible?:eek: How old are you? How it is possible to be that light? Not giving out to you just generally curious! I'm only 5ft and I'm 51 kg i.e. 8 stone (fatty) :pac:

Being small is a challenge. People tend not to ntoice you as much when you are trying to push your way through crowds. On the other hand if you're in a group people are more aware that their is a small person amongst them and let you to the front. My bother always makes fun of my height my crouching down and pretending to be 'me' and how everything looks to me (as if he's a giant!). The struggle of getting things down/ reaching things is a pain when your short. However, I've mastered the art of hoisting myself up on things to reach other things and I've learned the art of persistence. Also, me being a girl guys think I'm cute rather than hot. You're rarely hot and small! :( There's more but I can't think of them right now.
    Also I used to hate it when I'd read articles that said that height was down a lot to nutrition as well as genetics! It's genetic for me for certain!

You're tiny, right?

You're single, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Why not find an overweight person and try a joke on them , what gets me is left handed people thinking they are amazing with special qualities.

Eh.....I said initially, going just on appearance. And then I went on to say, my previous bf's, one was SHORTER[/B] and the other, the same height. If someone is a nice person and there's chemistry, looks go out the window.

Also, I find short guys are attracted to me, more so than taller guys tbh.

Right, you're not as self absorbed as I initially mistook your post for.

anncoates wrote: »
    Being a shortarse should be a registered charity, with grants for stack heels, stilts and the like.

:)

Feck off Ray! :P

So 'no one' cares about her preferences, but you immediately follow with yours, or the very least a blanket statment. Thanks for sharing, love.
    My God you're 6 stone 6 pounds, how is that possible?:eek: How old are you? How it is possible to be that light? Not giving out to you just generally curious! I'm only 5ft and I'm 51 kg i.e. 8 stone (fatty) :pac:

I'm 28 and very slight. I've a small frame, narrow shoulders etc. I've no idea why I'm so small, my family are all average and tallish. Whenever we watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelpia and Danny DeVito comes on, everyone says 'Candie look! Your daddy is on tv' :(.

Jokes about being small don't bother me, but it's fair to say that practical issues and blocked vents aside, it's a much bigger deal for short guys because girls do tend to prefer men to be taller. It's not their fault if that's their preference, but as Christy says if someone is nice enough and you click, preferences can be forgotten. I'd have a hard time finding anyone smaller than me though.

I hear Peter Dinklage is taken. :)

So 'no one' cares about her preferences, but you immediately follow with yours, or the very least a blanket statment. Thanks for sharing, love.

I'm 28 and very slight. I've a small frame, narrow shoulders etc. I've no idea why I'm so small, my family are all average and tallish. Whenever we watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelpia and Danny DeVito comes on, everyone says 'Candie look! Your daddy is on tv' :(.

Jokes about being small don't bother me, but it's fair to say that practical issues and blocked vents aside, it's a much bigger deal for short guys because girls do tend to prefer men to be taller. It's not their fault if that's their preference, but as Christy says if someone is nice enough and you click, preferences can be forgotten. I'd have a hard time finding anyone smaller than me though.

That's it exactly. The funny thing is all my exes have been slim as well....I've been heavier than all of them too. Scarleh for me. But they were both amazing at martial arts so they could beat me up if they wanted to. :pac:

The same type of guys seem to like me. Slim. Athletic. Into martial arts. Runners. Like heavy metal and rock. Gamers.

Both of them. It's a bit mad, Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Yeah I'd say, for a lot of girls especially the really petite girls taller guys are an attraction (they are for me anyway 5'11 upwards) even if it does look strange!:pac: If I was thinking about children I'd have to be with a taller guy because I'd be worried about my children being complete midgets! Someone mentioned guys carrying/holding things for you and that's definitely true since they think your incapable of lifting anything (which is only half true :p). I find it really endearing though!:o

So if overweight people get offended by jokes about being overweight, the issue is them and not the people making the jokes?
    Interesting

If they're as tame as the ones being made here about short people? Yes. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm in no way short but my friend is 5 foot 6 and a considerable amount of women seem to find no problem saying "I won't date you because of your height". A more acceptable form of "I wouldn't date you cause you're fat" IMHO.

Nim wrote: »
    Why so abrasive? :confused: You couldn't possibly speak for every short man and their preferences.

Yeah, I for one love taller girls.

They often don't like me though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

At least you don't pay much tax as you probably get paid under the table

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm in no way short but my friend is 5 foot 6 and a considerable amount of women seem to find no problem saying "I won't date you because of your height". A more acceptable form of "I wouldn't date you cause you're fat" IMHO.
    Yeah, I for one love taller girls.

They often don't like me though :pac:

I just find that bizarre. As I said, I wouldn't initially go for shorter guys but I'd NEVER rule them out completely.

If they're funny, we get along and there's chemistry, why not? I have my preferences but really at the end of day, I'm not going to turn down someone I enjoy being with and am attracted to. I'm often more attracted to how a person carries themselves, their interests, how they are with other people, their sense of humour. All of those things would be much more important qualities to me, especially in a relationship.

Advertisement