Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I can not speak any language well apart from English so I am pleased anyone who take the P*** out of another for how they speak gets ritually sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'd be shocked if it was years since I saw it but she wasn't the main presenter - it was the segment where they play "Where the lotto money is going" and show some GAA club down the country getting floodlights or some shoyte like that.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to get fired from RTE btw. :D Any evidence of this? I'm genuinely interested!

Yeah Caitlín was not your average Winning Streak contestant!

It's been a weird time for her. She was just unceremoniously dropped, after about a year or so.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2011/1221/434449-mayeg/

Original announcement of being hired-then her firing.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/geri-maye-no-longer-on-rtes-winning-streak-29483783.html

She just disappeared tbh-you can say it's impossible to be fired-but then look at poor Sheana Keane. Or that RTE producer who turned out to be a paedo. Or look at all the RTE Den presenters...many of those were fired because they 'didn't have the right look'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contractors get dropped all the time. Staff are almost unsackable but very few presenters are staff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone remember "darling" of Barry Egan & The Sunday Independent set, the rugby-player-only-dating

lady who'd turn up to the opening of an envelope, perma-pout "Dr." (she was technically a dentist) Danielle Meagher, who dubbed herself Dr. Botox and landed a spot on TV3 car crash show "Dublin Housewives" and later Celebrity Big Brother in the UK (when the head of TV3 moved to Channel 5). She even changed her surname to Marr for CBB to help her new fans in the UK with the pronunciation of her name - I'm sure they're all still talking about her. :rolleyes:

danielle-meagher

The first I've heard of this yoke and after reading that and seeing her picture I hope its the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's been a weird time for her. She was just unceremoniously dropped, after about a year or so.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2011/1221/434449-mayeg/

Original announcement of being hired-then her firing.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/geri-maye-no-longer-on-rtes-winning-streak-29483783.html

She just disappeared tbh-you can say it's impossible to be fired-but then look at poor Sheana Keane. Or that RTE producer who turned out to be a paedo. Or look at all the RTE Den presenters...many of those were fired because they 'didn't have the right look'.

Not wishing to sound pedantic but that doesn't say "fired" (or "dismissed" or any other verbiage to suggest she was fired), and certainly not for mocking the Gaeilgeoir. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending her "talent", or her personally; but nothing there suggests she was fired.

As for the RTE Paedo - come on now, I didn't think I needed to mention that, it's pretty obvious that is going to get you dismissed from your role no matter who you are.

No idea who Sheana Keane is though!

• Advertisement

The first I've heard of this yoke and after reading that and seeing her picture I hope its the last.

That's (relatively) not a bad picture of her.......google her for far, far worse. I was going to pick one of the less flattering pics but I thought I'd be accused of doing so deliberately so I avoided that.

She didn't exactly do herself any favours on the show shall we say....again I'm being kind (which really is unlike me). There was a depth to her shallowness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

Hes a gentle soul really... to be honest, I'd say he was much more scared of you than vice versa.

In terms of Pat Ingoldsby, I did initially have a friendly conversation with him, but he was mixing with a few druggies, and I worried for him. And then he started to go a bit odd. You don't want to see faces from your childhood in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In terms of Pat Ingoldsby, I did initially have a friendly conversation with him, but he was mixing with a few druggies, and I worried for him. And then he started to go a bit odd. You don't want to see faces from your childhood in such a state.

Ah ya poor thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

He's human...has some very public mental health issues, he's a danger to nobody.. personally I thought seeing someone from my childhood with life issues, the same as our own put a more tangible & realistic face on him.
    I'd say some people think I'm not normal, some would say you're not normal.... does that matter?
    Other people's negative opinions say more about the individual than the person they scorn

He's human...has some very public mental health issues, he's a danger to nobody.. personally I thought seeing someone from my childhood with life issues, the same as our own put a more tangible & realistic face on him.
    I'd say some people think I'm not normal, some would say you're not normal.... does that matter?
    Other people's negative opinions say more about the individual than the person they scorn

I remember feeling the same when I saw Simon Young on tv-with his Mental health problems revealed and so on.

I always respected him-but after that, my respect grew even more so. He's had some awful moments happen to him-and he realised he needed help, and left his career behind.
    He didn't have the same issues, from what I can gather, of Pat Ingolsby. But seeing him speak openly and honestly about it. It was a difficult moment for him, but I respect him doing it.

• Advertisement

I remember feeling the same when I saw Simon Young on tv-with his Mental health problems revealed and so on.

I always respected him-but after that, my respect grew even more so. He's had some awful moments happen to him-and he realised he needed help, and left his career behind.
    He didn't have the same issues, from what I can gather, of Pat Ingolsby. But seeing him speak openly and honestly about it. It was a difficult moment for him, but I respect him doing it.

What were Simon's issues? And where is he now?

Really liked his musical taste, but ti was more late night and not in his main radio work per se. He used to be really into R and B, Soul Groove and Funk, Disco etc., and was pretty much the only one on 2fm playing anything like this when he was there.

What were Simon's issues? And where is he now?

Really liked his musical taste, but ti was more late night and not in his main radio work per se. He used to be really into R and B, Soul Groove and Funk, Disco etc., and was pretty much the only one on 2fm playing anything like this when he was there.

Severe depression-I don't know if it was clinical or bipolar, but it incapacitated him.

In short-his marriage broke up, his father passed away, he had to move out of the family home and not being around his children heavily affected him.Work got crappy, with all this going on, and it affected him both physically and mentally. Had some issue with his circulation, gained weight, had to have fluid drained out of him...just a whole truckload of bad stuff.

http://www.hotpress.com/Simon-Young/news/Simon-Young-I-was-given-the-last-rites/8102175.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Anyone remember Cleo from Babestation? She was from the North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Stuart Townsend. Presume he's still acting but he really disappeared from view considering the hype around him early to mid 00's.

Stuart Townsend. Presume he's still acting but he really disappeared from view considering the hype around him early to mid 00's.

The 90s and 00s hyped him up to unreasonable levels-the Sunday World alone would have have happily masturbated his ego for free.

It 'finally' sunk in they'd bet on the wrong pony when he was fired from Thor.

Last time I saw him acting was in an episode of Law and Order SVU last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does anyone remember the big fella with the beard, he used to show you how to do exercises on live at three I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does anyone remember the big fella with the beard, he used to show you how to do exercises on live at three I think?

this guy? still running his gym

2016-12-20_lif_26904424_I2.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Yeah his time of fame ended when he broke up with Charlize Theron. He was in a few good movies like the league of Extra ordinary gentlemen and Queen of the Damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Anyone remember Jonathan Reece Meyers from Cork?
    He was an Oliver Reed type with difficult to work with and substance abuse and issues.
    He was great in the Tudors ,,, but that was it

Yeah his time of fame ended when he broke up with Charlize Theron. He was in a few good movies like the league of Extra ordinary gentlemen and Queen of the Damned.

Good? Naw, those movies are woeful-LoeG is an R rated comic made into a pg rated film-as well as American interference...

And Queen of the Damned...yeesh, even Anne Rice tried to get her name taken off of that-it's hilarious, in a 'so-bad it's funny' way.

He turned down LotR (Lord of the Rings) to do LoEG...yipes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Jedward anyone remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

He was an Oliver Reed type with difficult to work with and substance abuse and issues.

I remember him being in the.... 3rd Mission Impossible. That's about it. I think it was the 3rd.....

Mutant z wrote: »
    Jedward anyone remember them.

I remember wanting to use their faces as punching bags, yes. Also fancied using their testicles as stressballs.

jaxxx wrote: »
    I remember him being in the.... 3rd Mission Impossible. That's about it. I think it was the 3rd.....

Jedward

Yep, as discussed before-and, as per his usual luck, it was the least successful one and Tom and Katie had Suri around that time, and it took all attention off of the film-as did Tom's...antics.

(Meyers had similar luck with a movie called Velvet Goldmine-seems whenever an actor's first major role has them 'going gay' for a part-it's career suicide).

Jedward are being managed by their mam nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still working quite consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yep, as discussed before-and, as per his usual luck, it was the least successful one and Tom and Katie had Suri around that time, and it took all attention off of the film-as did Tom's...antics.

(Meyers had similar luck with a movie called Velvet Goldmine-seems whenever an actor's first major role has them 'going gay' for a part-it's career suicide).

I think you are downplaying Meyers' career a little - 'Tudors' had the highest viewing figures on American TV an one stage (God knows why), and he won an Emmy playing Elvis in a HBO mini-series.

It's true that he's been very quiet of late.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I think you are downplaying Meyers' career a little - 'Tudors' had the highest viewing figures on American TV an one stage (God knows why), and he won an Emmy playing Elvis in a HBO mini-series.

It's true that he's been very quiet of late.

Golden Globe, not an emmy. He seemed to be getting things back on track...and then his alcoholism surfaced again.

He's in Vikings atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And his son does the same trick on Operation Transformation.

But there's no nepotism in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Good? Naw, those movies are woeful-LoeG is an R rated comic made into a pg rated film-as well as American interference...

And Queen of the Damned...yeesh, even Anne Rice tried to get her name taken off of that-it's hilarious, in a 'so-bad it's funny' way.

He turned down LotR (Lord of the Rings) to do LoEG...yipes.

Pretty sure Stuart Townsend was fired rather than turned down when they decided to go with older actor for Aragorn. He was very annoyed as you can imagine.... didnt even get paid for his prep work, or offer of supporting role.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Also fancied using their testicles as stressballs.
    I must use that quote, it's priceless.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Also fancied using their testicles as stressballs.
    I must use that quote, it's priceless.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement