Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH URBAN LEGENDS you heard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A man is approaching a red traffic light too fast, and hits the car in front of him. He waits for whoever is in the car to get out,but nothing happens. The lights turn green, and still nothing happens. He gets out of his car and goes to the drivers door. A man is unconscious in the front of the car, with his finger jammed up his nose. He'd been having a good root when he had been hit, and knocked himself out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

This is one I heard years ago, in the days before webcams, smartphones, broadband etc. Story goes that this girl who's going to Trinity College or UCD goes onto an online dating site. She meets a man on there and they start sending messages to each other. Lots of messages. They become close without having even spoken to each other, let alone met. He's telling her about how awful his marriage is, how his wife doesn't understand him. The usual craic. She's confiding in him about her life. Things get a bit heated on the sexeeee front and they going on about their sexual preferences etc etc.

So he books a hotel in Galway for a weekend away and they decide that this hotel is where they will meet for the first time. She gets to the hotel after him and goes on up to the room where he has already settled in. When she gets to the door of the room, he answers it in the nip. It's her dad!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

What about not swimming for an hour after eating?

Me ma used to swear by it but when I told people from other countries, I just got laughed at.

wasn't that in some public safety promo on rte back in the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

when slim fast shakes first came out it was said they contained maggots that literally ate the fat from your body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The American tourists in TCD who walk past that brass globe sculpture and one says to the other "gee, that must be the Trinity ball"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

when slim fast shakes first came out it was said they contained maggots that literally ate the fat from your body.

My friend made one up and left it overnight> next morning the whole kitchen was crawling with maggots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

pipelaser wrote: »
    There was once a house in Terrenure that in plan was the shape of a swastica, built by a man who "emigrated" from Germany in the 40s!

More or less true. Good thread on it here. House was for sale a few years ago and some paper had an excellent write up on it.

More info here.......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Me ma used to swear by it but when I told people from other countries, I just got laughed at.

Wouldn't that be common sense though? Maybe not after any food intake but if you engage in any strenuous physical activity directly after a heavy meal you risk getting indigestion, which probably isn't the best if you're a hundred metres from the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Those are friend of a friend stories. Heard them a few times and read them here too, all by people who swore they were there

Nowt wrong with my stories :)

Nice stories yes , urban legends no.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is one I heard years ago, in the days before webcams, smartphones, broadband etc. Story goes that this girl who's going to Trinity College or UCD goes onto an online dating site. She meets a man on there and they start sending messages to each other. Lots of messages. They become close without having even spoken to each other, let alone met. He's telling her about how awful his marriage is, how his wife doesn't understand him. The usual craic. She's confiding in him about her life. Things get a bit heated on the sexeeee front and they going on about their sexual preferences etc etc.

So he books a hotel in Galway for a weekend away and they decide that this hotel is where they will meet for the first time. She gets to the hotel after him and goes on up to the room where he has already settled in. When she gets to the door of the room, he answers it in the nip. It's her dad!!!

Or the one where the 20 year old meets his Dad in the Boilerhouse

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The American tourists in TCD who walk past that brass globe sculpture and one says to the other "gee, that must be the Trinity ball"!
    Or the one about the American tourists asking the "athletes" hanging round the O'Connell statue for directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Apparently American's are easily convinced that there are no Tuesdays in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

? Sorry can you explain that for me, I don't get it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The bloke on his stag whose mates stripped him and tied him to a fence, go to a chipper and return half an hour later and find their pal tearful and distraught. Apparently in their absence some rotter had rode the hole off the unfortunate fellow while he was naked,defencless and alone

Apparently there is some truth in this one....

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/batman.asp

its halfway down the page.
    fullstop wrote: »
    Me ma was in Shanahan's a few years ago and the waiter asked if she would mind moving table. Turned out it was Bono who wanted her table so she said she'd move if she could get a photo with him. Not a problem for Bono, he's a sound skin. When she asked for the bill she was told it was paid for already by Bono and Mr Springsteen. Turns out it was Bruce who took the photo and she hadn't recognised him.

Honest.

It was Chapter One apparently and there is some fella here on boards who SWORE that this it was his girlfriend it happened to. She even has the photographs apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

bruschi wrote: »
    Someone on here claimed that story as theirs and swore it happened to them on a similar thread to this. If I was any use I'd search for it and link it, but alas...

Here you go

Bono & Springsteen story from the horse's mouth. Well the boyfriend of the horse's mouth

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68452763

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lad takes acid and kidnaps a Down's syndrome child thinking they were a leprechaun

lol..haven't heard that one. Sounds plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

Fibromyalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

thickhead wrote: »
    Fibromyalgia

Very apt username

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hah yeah I used to be terrified by this one. Swimming around after 40 minutes in tramore, convinced I could drown any minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Fibromyalgia

One word, and you had to edit it?

I take it you don't know anything about the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

Skill is an African bum disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

eisenberg1 wrote:
    One word, and you had to edit it?

eisenberg1 wrote:
    I take it you don't know anything about the disease.

It's not a disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Fibromyalgia is for moaning little bitches.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing that. Sounds tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The man out in Carbury who brought an electric kettle to the bog to make tea for his fellow workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure is this one not true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Birneybau wrote: »
    See also, I saw the Beatles in the Adelphi.
    I went a warm up round with Ali before he fought Al blue Lewis in Croke Park. Ali cant confirm it though because of his Parkinsons disease

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The man out in Carbury who brought an electric kettle to the bog to make tea for his fellow workers.

Is that the same lad who learned a flask can
    keep hot food hot and cold food cold. Then he used the same flask to bring oxtail soup and a Choc ice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The special school taking a trip to the zoo and one of the kids stealing a penguin.

Didn't a couple of dopes do that in Dublin zoo a couple years back -? Legged it in a taxi - seriously -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Luas trams on the red line can't go on the green line and vice versa.
    The tracks are the wrong size...

Tracks are the same size, but the green line has a bigger gap between each track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I was on Bus Eireann going from Limerick to Galway. As we got to Bunratty two Yanks on the bus said weren't the Irish so clever building the castle next to the freeway

e.

Hard to believe, but this is actually an example of American sarcasm.

Advertisement