Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH URBAN LEGENDS you heard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I was in thomond the day they beat the all blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jimboblep wrote: »

Apparently the attendance that day was somewhere in the region of 1.6million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every Dub's grandad fought alongside Pearse in the GPO. Must have been crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Remember hearing one from primary school about Ronan Keating, Brian Kennedy and Mrs. Keating interrupting something or other.

Anyone else hear this one?

Yeah, Ronan's Mrs walked in while he was tearin the hoop out of Brian Kennedy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

If you say 'Mary Harney' 3 times in front of a mirror, she'll appear behind you...

It's not often I LOL at posts on the internet! Take a bow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Every Dub's grandad fought alongside Pearse in the GPO. Must have been crowded.

See also, I saw the Beatles in the Adelphi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I wanted to go but I was only 3 at the time.

The ould lad wisely decided that a ground packed with 850,000 people was no place to bring a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The special school taking a trip to the zoo and one of the kids stealing a penguin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Birneybau wrote: »
    See also, I saw the Beatles in the Adelphi.

Were these the same seers and prophets who visited Old Trafford in Manchester on the day of a young Belfast lad getting his first game, declaring afterwards "I remember turning to my pal and saying 'watch that lad -he's going to be some player'".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Anyone else hear this one?

Not an urban legend, not Brian Kennedy either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

topper75 wrote: »
    Were these the same seers and prophets who visited Old Trafford in Manchester on the day of a young Belfast lad getting his first game, declaring afterwards "I remember turning to my pal and saying 'watch that lad -he's going to be some player'".

Nah, they were huge at the time. A very interesting read below:

http://www.beatlesireland.info/Irish%20Stories/thedaythebeatlescametodublin1.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the game of cards where the devil appeared.

the dance hall where the devil appeared with cloven hooves.

they sound like the same story that originated from Loftus Hall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Hall
    During a storm, a ship unexpectedly arrived at the Hook Peninsula, which was not far from the mansion. A young man was welcomed into the mansion. Anne and the young man became very close. One night, the family and mysterious man were in the Card room playing cards. In the game, each player received 3 cards apart from Anne who was only dealt 2 by the mystery man. A butler serving the Tottenham family at the table was just about to question the man when Anne bent down to pick another card from the floor which she must have dropped. It is said that when Anne bent over to pick up the card, she looked beneath the table to see that the mysterious man had a cloven foot.

It was then that Anne stood up and said to the man you have a cloven foot and the man went up through the roof, leaving behind a large hole in the ceiling.

some ghost series thing in America were there last year and did a show about the place, on next week actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The Mulk wrote: »
    An unknown person paying off someone's mortgage so they'd give up the date they had their wedding booked in Luttrelstown,the couple accept and it turns out the Beckham's get married on said date

There must have been around 10 different friends of friends who had their weddings booked for the same day as the Beckhams wanted the hotel, must have been an expensive payout for them. It was exactly the same with Paul McCartney's wedding to Heather Mills.

Also the gig where Bono says 'Every time I click my fingers, a child dies' and someone shouts up 'Stop doing it then.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

brianblaze wrote: »
    Not an urban legend, not Brian Kennedy either...

Hah, I heard the wife went around and smashed all the windows in the house.. near Celbridge/Ardclough

Omackeral wrote: »
    This one happened to my friend's cousin's friend's cousin's friend. He was on the bus into Dublin and it was fairly packed. This big African one went to get on with her kids, including one in a buggy. Having already had two buggies on board, the driver said ''Sorry love, you'll have to fold that buggy up if you're coming on cos I'm full up here.'' She took the young child out and got onto the bus, leaving the pram behind. A passenger asked her why she just left the buggy there, in disbelief. She replied ''It is ok, Social Welfare will give me another one.''

This is such total BS, everyone knows she'd have been driving her free car and not getting the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The old asking Bruce Springsteen to take a picture of you and Bono story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Somebody got an STD from a burger in Supermacs because a member of staff was, eh, raping burgers.

You'll catch a cold if you go outside with wet hair.

Antibiotics make you get drunk quicker.

Some kid ate pop rocks and drank coke and his stomach exploded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Anyone else heard the one about the JobBridge scheme leading onto full-time employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The bloke on his stag whose mates stripped him and tied him to a fence, go to a chipper and return half an hour later and find their pal tearful and distraught. Apparently in their absence some rotter had rode the hole off the unfortunate fellow while he was naked,defencless and alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Anyone hear the one about girl who is asked to house sit for her best friend. Anyway while her friend is away, the only thing her friend asked her to do is feed the dog and give it, it's medication as it's sick. So she gets to the gaff and walks in and her friend has left her a load of DVD's to watch and a load of different munch, crisps, bars ect. So she sticks on a DVD and sits down on the couch and starts to relax. She had a tough week in work that week and she had recently just split up with her boyfriend so she's thinking to herself "great this's exactly what I need, just some time to myself and nobody's around to bother me"

All of a sudden she wakes up, it's the next day now and it turns out that she had dosed off while watching the film. Yep you guessed it, she's forgotten to give the dog it's medication and it had died during the night. So she's freaking out pacing around the room thinking "what am I going to do?" She starts to panic as her friend will be home in only a couple of hours, so she decides that she's going to have to get the dead dog out of the house and that she'll leave it in her own gaff till she figures out what to tell her friend as if her friends see's her beloved dog dead, she'll never speak to her again.

So she's frantically searching around the house for some way of transporting the dead dog but the only thing she can find is a black sports bag, she thinks to herself this'll have to do as she doesn't live too far from her friends house and luckily there's a dart station near by. So she manages to haul the dog in the sports bag onto dart, by this stage she's already quite tired as the dog is much heavier than she thought. It seems to take forever to travel the three stops down the track to her stop but it eventually rolls into the station.

Just as she's getting off the dart a guy approaches her an says "you can't be carrying that all on your own, that looks auful heavy, let me help you with it" before she can do anything the man grabs the bag off her. "Jesus! that's heavy! have you got a dead dog in here or something?" The colour drains from her face as her mind scrambles to come up with some kind of excuse as to what is in the bag. Suddenly she thinks of her ex-boyfriend who was a band and blurts out to the man "oh it just some music equipment, I'm in a band!" The guy carries the bag over onto the other platform and they make their way towards the exit of the station. She turns to the man and is about to thank the man for helping her when out of nowhere the man just legs it off up the road with the bag. Turns out that he was just a common crook and when he heard there was music equipment in it he seized his opportunity thinking he could make a few bob for himself but unbeknownst to him it was just a dead dog in a bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Me ma was in Shanahan's a few years ago and the waiter asked if she would mind moving table. Turned out it was Bono who wanted her table so she said she'd move if she could get a photo with him. Not a problem for Bono, he's a sound skin. When she asked for the bill she was told it was paid for already by Bono and Mr Springsteen. Turns out it was Bruce who took the photo and she hadn't recognised him.

Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

That reminds me of

1950-something - A family are travelling from Dublin to Holyhead - parents, kids and granny. As they are driving through Snowdonia on their Welsh holiday, they decide to stop and have a picnic. The gran has a funny turn and dies. They decided to keep the body of the gran in the gran so they can claim she died in Ireland, and so on, and also because the father views the British police with suspicion. They drive back, but as they get off the car and into the boat, the car is stolen, granny inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I was in 5th class in primary school, for a short while there was a story of The Green Man skulking around the school, waiting to kidnap...eh...kids. It got to the stage that some of the girls in my class were bawling hysterically, one in particular, I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Also, the jam-making course in Carlow that requires 15 CAO points.

Actual lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Trinity Philosophy end of year exam- a few friends are completing it:
    Friend 1 writes 12 pages in 3 hours on the question Why? - gets 50%

Friend 2 writes 15 pages in 3 hours on the same question- gets 55%

Friend 3 writes- Why not? - Gets 100% :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Trinity Philosophy end of year exam- a few friends are completing it:
    Friend 1 writes 12 pages in 3 hours on the question Why? - gets 50%

Friend 2 writes 15 pages in 3 hours on the same question- gets 55%

Friend 3 writes- Why not? - Gets 100% :P

TCD students are meant to be allowed ask for a glass of port as well. The place is also riddled with underground tunnels, as is UCD.

On a side note I wouldn't be surprised about that happening in the Arts Dept. They have a course there called "Martians, Detectives and Ghosts: Late-Victorian and Edwardian Genre Fiction".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

The bloke on his stag whose mates stripped him and tied him to a fence, go to a chipper and return half an hour later and find their pal tearful and distraught. Apparently in their absence some rotter had rode the hole off the unfortunate fellow while he was naked,defencless and alone

What are the chances of one of the only passers by being an opportunistic homosexual rapist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

What are the chances of one of the only passers by being an opportunistic homosexual rapist...

inbetweeners

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

fullstop wrote: »
    Me ma was in Shanahan's a few years ago and the waiter asked if she would mind moving table. Turned out it was Bono who wanted her table so she said she'd move if she could get a photo with him. Not a problem for Bono, he's a sound skin. When she asked for the bill she was told it was paid for already by Bono and Mr Springsteen. Turns out it was Bruce who took the photo and she hadn't recognised him.

Honest.

Someone on here claimed that story as theirs and swore it happened to them on a similar thread to this. If I was any use I'd search for it and link it, but alas...

Advertisement