Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH URBAN LEGENDS you heard

Options
  • 13-03-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

The one about Margo being Daniel O'Donnell's mum - having him at 14 and then lying about her age so it wouldn't look like she was his mum...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I heard Joan Burton and Linda Martin are actually women, fairly absurd urban legend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This one happened to my friend's cousin's friend's cousin's friend. He was on the bus into Dublin and it was fairly packed. This big African one went to get on with her kids, including one in a buggy. Having already had two buggies on board, the driver said ''Sorry love, you'll have to fold that buggy up if you're coming on cos I'm full up here.'' She took the young child out and got onto the bus, leaving the pram behind. A passenger asked her why she just left the buggy there, in disbelief. She replied ''It is ok, Social Welfare will give me another one.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

The one I heard was that Gene Kelly was a major financial benefactor to the Provos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Polish people love snacking on swans.

Fr Ted was turned down by RTE.

The Black and Tans were ex-cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bunny Carr was sent to prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Men in white vans trying to steal children. Worst kidnappers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Omackeral wrote: »
    This one happened to my friend's cousin's friend's cousin's friend. He was on the bus into Dublin and it was fairly packed. This big African one went to get on with her kids, including one in a buggy. Having already had two buggies on board, the driver said ''Sorry love, you'll have to fold that buggy up if you're coming on cos I'm full up here.'' She took the young child out and got onto the bus, leaving the pram behind. A passenger asked her why she just left the buggy there, in disbelief. She replied ''It is ok, Social Welfare will give me another one.''

Ha, yeah I heard that one too. In fairness, everyone knows "the blacks get everything" It's just that nobody knows where they get it all when you ask them.

If you're from NI, replace "blacks" with "taigs" and I'm well informed by loyalist FB pages that the same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The one about the woman returning to her car and finding a female hitchhiker nearby, looking for a lift. She notices that the backs of the hitchhiker's hands are hairy and masculine looking.

She suspects that the hitchhiker is a man in disguise, makes an excuse and drives off alone.

Later, on opening the boot of her car, she discovers that rope, an axe and a shovel had been placed inside.

That's from a short film isn't it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPxaPTX-_8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

That's from a short film isn't it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPxaPTX-_8

I dunno. Sure it had to have come from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Driving along a dark lonely stretch of road, person feels the car has gotten cold all of a sudden. Looks in the rear view mirror and there are a woman and two kids sitting in the back seat. Almost crashes. Hears later that a woman and two kids were killed on that stretch of road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Some lad found a safe buried in the garden of his newly bought home that apparently had millions in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

St. Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wasn't there one about a traveller girl who said 'lob it up there boss' or something along those lines?

Also, I don't know how many times people have told me the tale about the pet snake stretching out beside it's owner in preparation for eating them. It always seems to have happened to a cousins friend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Peanut wrote: »
    St. Patrick.

Snakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The Banshee. Frightened the bejaysus out of me as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Driving along a dark lonely stretch of road, person feels the car has gotten cold all of a sudden. Looks in the rear view mirror and there are a woman and two kids sitting in the back seat. Almost crashes. Hears later that a woman and two kids were killed on that stretch of road

This actually happened to me.
    (Well, except the bit in bold at the end.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you say 'Mary Harney' 3 times in front of a mirror, she'll appear behind you...

Any local ones?
    My grandmother used to go on about a mysterious child-snatcher/paedo called Jack the Sack who wore a potato sack on his head because he didn't want kids to see his ugly mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

thelad95 wrote: »
    Wasn't there one about a traveller girl who said 'lob it up there boss' or something along those lines?

"Hai, you, none of that fancy sh1t, horse it into me boss" was the quote I heard alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

'Sure of course I loves ya, doesn't I ride ya and buy ya chips'. -I've heard this from numerous parts of the country.

Also, the jam-making course in Carlow that requires 15 CAO points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The Chinese Takeaway that had a larder stocked with Kit-e-kat.

That Blannidge was in relations with RTE top brass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Getting marks in the Junior cert for writing your name

Chinese restaurant shut down for serving seagull

Lad takes acid and kidnaps a Down's syndrome child thinking they were a leprechaun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Someone finds a safe in their back garden.
    Goes onto online forum about opening it.
    Finds millions...
    Shares wealth...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

'
    Also, the jam-making course in Carlow that requires 15 CAO points.

Thought that was Sligo IT...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Trinity student during the 1990s goes to doctor complaining about nausea and a sore bunghole in the morning. Turns out his roommate was drugging and raping him while he was unconscious.

How many people have you met who knows the Garda called to Ronan Keating's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

An unknown person paying off someone's mortgage so they'd give up the date they had their wedding booked in Luttrelstown,the couple accept and it turns out the Beckham's get married on said date

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

The Bunny Carr one was mentioned previously, but it should be pointed out that this complete nonsense of a rumour was firmly believed by many people.
    Essentially it alleged (again completely without foundation) that B Carr (or Cuinin O'Gluastain as we called him) was dipping into Gorta charitable donations.

There was a similar fanciful allegation against Ronan Collins when he did the lottery, again total nonsense,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The collage student from carlow it/ trinity/ ucd/ ucc who got scurvy because all they ate was tesco 12c noodles so they could spend the rest of their money on drink.

Advertisement