Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Shame on Dunnes in Dundalk for sacking one of their workers for joining the picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Shame on Dunnes in Dundalk for sacking one of their workers for joining the picket.
    didn't know about this. but sadly not surprised. what <snip>. hope the person finds better work in a place that will treat them with respect soon.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was he a member of the union in question? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

didn't know about this. but sadly not surprised. what <snip>. hope the person finds better work in a place that will treat them with respect soon.

I hope they successfully sue Dunnes for unfair dismissal.

I await the Twatcherites' jeering.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I hope they successfully sue Dunnes for unfair dismissal.

I await the Twatcherites' jeering.

I don't think anyone is going to jeer somebody losing their job, and hopefully this individual finds employment they're happy with soon, but this result was hardly surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Don't know. Doing the shopping yesterday and cashier we usually go to was telling us. Apparently he had 4 days to go before he would be made full time and management called him in and said he was no longer needed.
    This was in the Marshes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Don't know. Doing the shopping yesterday and cashier we usually go to was telling us. Apparently he had 4 days to go before he would be made full time and management called him in and said he was no longer needed.
    This was in the Marshes.

Probably nothing to with the strike. They let most people go before they can get a full time contract and climb the pay scale these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What's that to do with anything.....no one anywhere should cross a picket line

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

He doesn't have the protection of the union. He just decided he wasn't arsed going to work. IF he knew he wouldn't cross picket should have joined up the week before

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

And why is that? Should everyone just support people who are on strike, regardless of their working conditions and salaries? If Dunnes workers were working 30 hour a week contracts, at €50 an hour, and the union decided to strike because they wanted €100/hour, should any/all staff members at Dunnes who are happy with their €50/hour refuse to work in support of those on strike, or are they entitled to be of the opinion that the people on strike are delusional and continue working as normal?

If you don't support what people are on strike for, you are under no obligation whatsoever to respect their picket line (in terms of not crossing it, obviously you can't start abusing them or anything like that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Greyian wrote: »
    And why is that? Should everyone just support people who are on strike, regardless of their working conditions and salaries? If Dunnes workers were working 30 hour a week contracts, at €50 an hour, and the union decided to strike because they wanted €100/hour, should any/all staff members at Dunnes who are happy with their €50/hour refuse to work in support of those on strike, or are they entitled to be of the opinion that the people on strike are delusional and continue working as normal?

If you don't support what people are on strike for, you are under no obligation whatsoever to respect their picket line (in terms of not crossing it, obviously you can't start abusing them or anything like that).
    its your duty not to cross a picket line. find an alternative entrance, turn up and be at the door before the picket is set up, whatever. just do not cross a picket.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

its your duty not to cross a picket line. find an alternative entrance, turn up and be at the door before the picket is set up, whatever. just do not cross a picket.

Again, is this only worker's/Union pickets? I mean, there are frequent pickets outside Leinster House / the Four Courts about everything from Water Charges to how the Lizard People have ruined democracy.

What if the picket was not about workers rights but was about a political issue e.g. Apartheid. If you don't care about politics and just want to buy some bread and Jam is it ok to cross the picket line?

What if the picketers were pro-Apartheid and were protesting the sale of goods from non-white owned South African companies?

Surely if you agree with the principle behind the picket, you should let this be known by not crossing and then Dunnes (in the present example) can say "hold on, business is down X% we'd better bow to public pressure" instead of a sort of automatic response of "people are protesting so therefore I will not cross their picket line"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Says who, I'll either cross or not cross any picket line I like mate .

I will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

its your duty not to cross a picket line.

Is that enshrined in our constitution? Is there some legislation regarding crossing picket lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Greyian wrote: »
    Is that enshrined in our constitution? Is there some legislation regarding crossing picket lines?

No...but badly off would you want to be if you couldn't find a shop nearby with same goods etc as those on strike

Being honest I know people who don't talk to some of there neighbours for crossing s picket line 30 odd years ago!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No...but badly off would you want to be if you couldn't find a shop nearby with same goods etc as those on strike

Being honest I know people who don't talk to some of there neighbours for crossing s picket line 30 odd years ago!!

I have a fair bit of sympathy for the zero hours workers so I havent shopped in Dunnes recently. But surely it demeans the reasonable pickets if we are to treat all pickets as sacrosanct. If Consultants were picketing outside the hospitals because they wanted more money, for example, would you refuse to enter the hospital?

I have a fair bit of sympathy for the zero hours workers so I havent shopped in Dunnes recently. But surely it demeans the reasonable pickets if we are to treat all pickets as sacrosanct. If Consultants were picketing outside the hospitals because they wanted more money, for example, would you refuse to enter the hospital?

There are no zero hour workers in Dunnes AFAIK:confused::confused:

gufc21 wrote: »

Ok, lack of fixed/full hours contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

gufc21 wrote: »

As defined in irish employment law- yes there are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why? Genuine question. This is a free country and if one wants to cross a picket and do a days work that is their constitutional right. Its that simple.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    As defined in irish employment law- yes there are

How are 15 hour contracts = zero hour contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't believe in unions, but if any workers need them, it's probably Dunnes.

The likes of the teaching unions give them all a bad name with rubbish like '30% of teachers are living in poverty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

not yet wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me the right wing, Thatcherite mentality some Irish people have..

What Thatcheritle mentality? Tell me what were Thatchers opinions on zero hour or flexibhour contracts?

Personally I think the workers have a genuine grievance. And im a thatcherite (its not an insult to people who know what theyre talking about).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

harpsman wrote: »
    What Thatcheritle mentality? Tell me what were Thatchers opinions on zero hour or flexibhour contracts?

Personally I think the workers have a genuine grievance. And im a thatcherite (its not an insult to people who know what theyre talking about).

From my experience, the word thatcherite is used as a playground name calling tactic. Well its a lot easier to throw insults rather than engage in a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

so your saying that all the staff who had no legal protection via union members should have all not shown up for work, and risk being sacked the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mandate have claimed that their members are now being punished by Dunnes' management, according to this RTE article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Dunnes is for penny pinchers looking for bargains and all they get is inferior produce. Heatons, penneys etc similar. Workers in these stores need to quickly upskill and move with the times (knowledge economy).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Strikers now being sacked, hours cut and shifts changed. Dunnes management are horrendous. Rapid escalation and intervention from politicians needed now.

Shame on Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Full Marx wrote: »
    Strikers now being sacked, hours cut and shifts changed. Dunnes management are horrendous. Rapid escalation and intervention from politicians needed now.

Shame on Dunnes.
    No, government has no place interfering in a private companies labour dispute.

Advertisement