Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Total rubbish mate, complete hyperbole, it's an industrial dispute,there are probBly faults on both sides as in any dispute.

To come out with that kind of rubbish weakens your case.
    absolute nonsense, it doesn't do anything of the sort. the unions are right here and dunnes are wrong

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Im working in Dunnes coming up to 7 years this year fair enough i was taken on a flexi 15 hour contract, the department I am working in I love it, working with great people and different customers every day. I get on with all managers they come and go all the time.

For the last 4 years I have never done below 35 hours, so for myself I would just think after being loyal to a company after that long that I could get a contract with doing those hours for so long. Now after being on strike we have all been cut to 15-20 hours its just like a kick in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

absolute nonsense, it doesn't do anything of the sort. the unions are right here and dunnes are wrong

You are just making yourself look foolish coming out with statements like that.

You are just making yourself look foolish coming out with statements like that.
    i'm not no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

For the last 4 years I have never done below 35 hours, so for myself I would just think after being loyal to a company after that long that I could get a contract with doing those hours for so long. Now after being on strike we have all been cut to 15-20 hours its just like a kick in the face.

I'm wondering what outcomes were you expecting. I see three options.

1: If they give you a longer contract they're probably going to let somebody else go.

2: Or if they give somebody else a longer contract they may let you go.

3: Or they'll just cut everybody back to times that are on their contracts and start being more rigid. That way people on 15 hour contracts cant really complain when they get 15 hours.

4: What goes here? Give everybody longer contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

yeah, that book also has a whole chapter on 'business ethics' that if anyone followed they'd lose money and be bankrupt in a week.

What if dunnes halfed the workforce and took on nobody new but gave the half left all 35 hour weeks , would that keep you all happy ? how do you think the half who got sacked would feel ?

Chances are the half that got sacked are only a matter of weeks from being sacked to be replaced by more temp/short contract staff anyway as little to no one gets hired after the trail period!!

If the Unions are so right, why do they not have 100% membership? Is it because a lot of the workers don't agree with them? One worker interviewed on the day of the strike said that in their store, the majority of workers didn't agree with the strike, so worked as normal.

Im working in Dunnes coming up to 7 years this year fair enough i was taken on a flexi 15 hour contract, the department I am working in I love it, working with great people and different customers every day. I get on with all managers they come and go all the time.

It's an attempt to break you will to strike again....is there any possibility of an extended work to rule period or are the contracts worded too vague??

If the Unions are so right, why do they not have 100% membership? Is it because a lot of the workers don't agree with them? One worker interviewed on the day of the strike said that in their store, the majority of workers didn't agree with the strike, so worked as normal.

Pretty scummy of any worker to cross a picket line where they work....wheter they agree or not

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Greyian

Pretty scummy of any worker to cross a picket line where they work....wheter they agree or not

Pretty scummy of any worker to try and discourage or intimidate other people from going to work

• Advertisement

Greyian wrote: »
    Pretty scummy of any worker to try and discourage or intimidate other people from going to work

It's like this...I personally would not want to work or be associated with someone who would cross the picket line of people they work with....

I know people who haven't spoken to next door neighbours/people who they used give spin to work with for 30+ years over the same issue

You may think that. However, if the majority don't want to strike, surely it is their right to pass the picket?

It's like this...I personally would not want to work or be associated with someone who would cross the picket line of people they work with....

I know people who haven't spoken to next door neighbours/people who they used give spin to work with for 30+ years over the same issue

Fine, you're entitled to that opinion.

I, however, wouldn't want to be associated with someone who tries to force another person to do something they don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You may think that. However, if the majority don't want to strike, surely it is their right to pass the picket?

no, you don't understand. Unions would like to have you believe that crossing a picket is a sin. Now the sooner that gets out of everyones heads the better, its just trying to enforce collectivism which should be stamped out very quickly.

they were probably afraid to agree with the union or join the union

yes but if you cross the picket you can't be surprised if that happens.

no . find an alternative entrance, or turn up before the picket is set up

yes but if you cross the picket you can't be surprised if that happens.

Ah sure, I'm gonna organise a strike tomorrow in work so, and anyone who tries to go into the office will get hit in the head with a brick, because my picket line is sacred.

no, you don't understand. Unions would like to have you believe that crossing a picket is a sin.

the unions don't have us believe anything. we made up our own minds.
    Now the sooner that gets out of everyones heads the better, its just trying to enforce collectivism which should be stamped out very quickly.

so we can go back to the bad old days, divide and rule, miss treatment and disrespect by the employer. i'd rather be destitute thanks. the only reason you want collectivism stamped out is because you believe workers should have no rights.

no . find an alternative entrance, or turn up before the picket is set up

What are you on about??? Do you mean it would be ok to continue to work as long as they enter the premises by an unpicketed entrance?

• Advertisement

Ah sure, I'm gonna organise a strike tomorrow in work so, and anyone who tries to go into the office will get hit in the head with a brick, because my picket line is sacred.

You can't go around hitting people with bricks in the head???

But if you have a genuine grievance....it is not unreasonable to expect people to support you :)

the unions don't have us believe anything. we made up our own minds.

so we can go back to the bad old days, divide and rule, miss treatment and disrespect by the employer. i'd rather be destitute thanks. the only reason you want collectivism stamped out is because you believe workers should have no rights.

at no point have I ever said that, we live in a free society where you aren't forced to work for anyone, I think both workers and employers would be a lot happier if everyone just left jobs they didn't like or felt 'oppressed' in and people who did like the job could stay , rather than holding the employer to ransom and scorning colleagues and customers who cross your sign holding parade.

What are you on about??? Do you mean it would be ok to continue to work as long as they enter the premises by an unpicketed entrance?
    it would be better then crossing a picket, but ideally they should go out in support as they could be next

at no point have I ever said that, we live in a free society where you aren't forced to work for anyone, I think both workers and employers would be a lot happier if everyone just left jobs they didn't like or felt 'oppressed' in and people who did like the job could stay , rather than holding the employer to ransom and scorning colleagues and customers who cross your sign holding parade.
    the employer has to be held to ransom to ensure good terms and conditions are either implemented or kept should dialogue not work. don't cross a strikers picket and you won't be scorned

You can't go around hitting people with bricks in the head???

But if you have a genuine grievance....it is not unreasonable to expect people to support you :)

But end of the road seems to believe that its acceptable for you to be mistreated if you cross a picket line.

As for striking when you have a genuine grievance, you're right, it's not unreasonable to expect people to support you. But you and end of the road have been talking about the picket line being sacred, regardless of what has caused the strike.

If some large retailer was beating staff who arrived 1 minute late to work, and the staff went on strike as a result, they'd have my support.
    On the flipside, if a large retailer's employees went on strike because the employees all decided they wanted as much free meat as they could carry and they weren't going to work until they got it, they wouldn't have my support. And if they don't have my support, why should I not continue to go to the retailer in question for my shopping? Should I punish the retailer for adopting a fair policy? Should I avoid the retailer in question and, in effect, give the strikers who are being unreasonable what they want? No, I'd continue to shop in the retailer, and I'd view the employees in that particular example as idiots.

I wouldn't agree with crossing a picket line when they have a genuine grievance (which, is inherently subjective), but you can't just state that because people are striking, they are therefore right.

the employer has to be held to ransom to ensure good terms and conditions are either implemented or kept should dialogue not work. don't cross a strikers picket and you won't be scorned

no , they don't. if you don't like a job leave it. seriously leave, there is no 'b-b-b-b-but i can't' or 'ders no jobs' just leave if your unhappy. if everyone was truly unhappy and just left dunnes would either make the change to have people come back or perish and leave space for a new player in the market.

by picketing all your saying to the employer is "Its really crap working here, but I'm so desperate to keep this job I won't leave, ill stand around with a sign for hours and be back in tomorrow" , this is what gives them their power over you, you need them more than they need you is all a strike says, and thats when they know they've won.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ye keep talking about the large number of employees who are going to be let go.... how many people are kept on after a year now anyway? Very very few. It would just about cover the number who are leaving. Dunnes give a 3, 3 and 6 month contracts. Ver rarely do they keep any one after that time frame in the last 3-4 years anyway. They don't want to give out permanent contracts which you get after a years employment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is the frying-pan, toaster and bathroom-furniture industry somehow more volatile than groceries? Daft point.

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together believes that Dunnes, or any large retailer, cannot predict its workforce needs over the medium term.

You seem to have very little insight into the Dunnes business model as you have completely forgotten about the Drapery division, which is the most successful in terms of market share against its peers. It betters Tesco, M&S, Musgraves and the German two of Aldi, Lidl. Margret Heffernan herself is personally in charge of this division.

Drapery is hugely seasonal. Never mind that the clothes change season by season but the products on offer also change. It is the division that sells all the Christmas decorations, gifts, toys, trees etc. Then when spring comes around it shifts it focus on flowers, plants, compost and all the other gardening tools one buys. Summer brings BBQ's, outdoor furniture, camping equipment, water sports equipment. Autumn brings school uniforms and stationary. Halloween and Christmas follows soon after and the cycle starts all over again.

I know this because I worked for a number of years in a Quinnsworth (Yes I am old!) and Tesco's drapery department and it was a pain in the ass having to restock and rearrange the shop floor every few months. This was back in the 90's and even then in the 'good ol days' there was seasonal staff on short term part time contracts. This was the time pre Aldi and Lidl and before the Celtic Tiger roared. The business has changed utterly since in the intervening 15-20 years.

Since you call all who disagree with you more or less an idiot I would suggest you send in your CV to Dunnes HQ and ask for a job in upper management where you can earn a nice 6 figure salary and tell them all how to do their jobs and how to run a company. Or perhaps you are the hurler on the ditch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

excuses excuses excuses. dunnes are in the wrong. no amount of excuse making will change that. there is no power grab by the unions, thats just anti-union and anti-workers rights rubbish. legislating for collective bargaining, would be the right way to go.

Well done, you contradicted yourself in two sentences. Quite a feat actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Held to ransom!!!

Scorned!!

Advertisement